Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    The 2.8 comes with plastic seats. With similar equipment, the price difference is less than $1500. My SLS goes about 10,000 between oil changes, so I am using Mobil 1.
  • Thanks to everyone for the info! I was hoping the 2.8 would be fine, knowing if I test drive the 3.6 I'll be hard-pressed to drop back to the 2.8. But if the cost difference is marginal and there's no fuel savings advantage, having the 3.6 will probably pay for itself on the back-end in terms of resale.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    My neighbor has had a 2.8L CTS since the spring. Runs fine and no issues.

No gain in fuel economy but it's cheaper and still have more than enough power. For the price, it a good deal vs. the 4 banger 3-series.
    The 2.8 lists at $31,235, the 3.6 is $33,880, a difference of $2645. The 2.8 gets plastic seats, leather is standard on the 3.6. Leather is optional at $1300 on the 2.8, half the difference. The luxury package is $250 more on the 2.8. Otherwise options are the same price. So, depending on options, the real difference may be only $1100. Just the base car with no options, or minimal options (automatic for example) will be about $2650 less than a base 3.6. But a loaded 2.8 will only run about $1100 less than a loaded 3.6.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I see no advantage in going with the 2.8L. If it were purely a cost issue then I would buy a used '05 with better equipment.

I have a '04 SRX with 24K miles. The 3.6L has excellent mid range torque and really moves the 4200Lb vehicle well.
    The 3.6L CTSs I have driven are pretty strong.

Keep in mind that Cadillac made some minor improvements to the 3.6L in '05 as regards to valvetrain noise.
    My '04 is fairly noisy when you are outside the vehicle.
    If I am driving down the street next to mparked cars with my windows down there is a high pitched engine noise that is pretty annoying.

lastly, if you do get a CTS make sure it has the Sport equipment. Big improvements in steering over the base cars.

Go with a used '05 and forget about the 2.8L because it's resale value will be even less than most GM vehicles.
    The timeing chain was quieted down I think.
  • I am new to this location, but I just bought a new 2005 CTS. I am becoming concerned with the problems mentioned here in regards to the CTS. Are there any re-calls for this vehicle? Why are the dealerships selling them if they know that there are problems with them? I am so upset now because I love the car, but I have noticed that it takes a while for it to get going. Is this normal? From 0 to 28 mph it drags thens picks up speed. I hate it but I try and deal with it.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,236
    Bear in mind that many of the people who post on the boards are the ones having problems. The "silent majority" is (obviously) not represented.

Having been an observer on this board since it started, I'd say the main issue I've heard discussed is the differential (rear-end) noise, and I think it was confined to the first couple of years.

Most cars these days don't have problems. Some do. Usually it's just the luck of the draw, once you're past the first year or two after the introduction of a new model. Your '05 should have most of the bugs worked out.
  • vanman1vanman1 Posts: 1,397
    My neighbor has had his 2005 2.8 since July and had zero issues. Don't worry too much.
  • It has been 3 years and 57,787 mi with my 03 LUX Sport CTS. I had just ran out of warranty. Here is a list of all the problems I had with it over the years:
    1- replaced FL shock strut, 3 times
    2- replaced FR shock strut, 1 time
    3- replaced RR window motot, 2 times
    4- replaced third brake light, 1 time
    5- replaced a cracked (could not take the sun) front dash top, 1 time
    6- fixed fallen interior RL sail liner, 1 time
    7- fixed stuck CD changer, 1 time
    8- replaced 5 tires (V rated tyres were on the care instead of W), warranty

I got neither of the rear end wine problem, nor the rear beazel leaks.

So except for the front shocks, which were an issue with all exports, and the dash board crack, I would say this is not a bad car. And the dealer have consistently fixed the car in 1 day or less.

But mind you, the car I had before the CTS was a 2001 Lumina (a rebranded Holden made RWD), that served me for 3 years and 100,000 miles and did not have a single problem through out, really not a single problem what so ever.

I stll love the CTS, it is still a blast to drive.
  • geo9geo9 Posts: 739
    Michelin just announced a tire recall on pilot sport
    tires. If you have a set check the NHTSA web site
    to see if yours are part of the recall.............
  • tvdirectvdirec Posts: 22
    I have a 2003 CTS that has the analog clock in the dash. It has been out of sync for several months to the point it was 15 to 20 minutes slow. Then all of a sudden I start the car this morning and for no apparant reason the clock resets itself on its own to the correct time. Has this happened to anyone else? I know people have had theirs replaced but I haven't seen a post about their clock resetting to the correct time. Could that be an On-Star trigger of some kind like unlocking the doors??
  • You might be on to something, though I'm not sure it's OnStar.

I had the instrument panel on my '03 replaced twice under warranty for the clock sync problem (analog progressively slower than digital). Then, after having decided to live with the problem, I had some major AC service done (compressor disintegrated inside and spewed debris throughout the system ... another story altogether). When I picked up the car, the clock was way slow, so I figured the battery had been disconnected during service. When I reset the clock using the digital setting, miraculously, the clock synched up perfectly.

A couple of months later, the clock got slightly out of sync once again, and then I had a dead battery problem (not even the auto door openers worked and the key got stuck in the ignition since the security chip wouldn't activate the solenoid). When the battery was replaced, once again, presto, clock was fixed. :D

I have a theory that there must be some kind of a "system ready check" that happens when power is restored after battery has been disconnected (or fully discharged). All the personalization settings are retained in a complete power down situation (flash memory?) but under normal circumstances, there is a small battery draw at all times that keeps things like the security features, etc. alive.

Next time the clock thing happens, I'm going to try the "disconnect battery terminals" trick on purpose to see if it works! If so, I'm surprised GM hasn't figured this out yet, since they've R&R'd thousands of IP's under warranty. :confuse:
  • It may be the fuel transfer line or the fuel gauge showing a quarter of a tank when in fact you are out of gas. This has happened to me three times and I would like to learn if others have had this problem. This is extremely dangerous as I have lost power while doing 55 on major highways and could easily have gotten rear ended as unlike slowing down intentionally, there is no brake light coming on.
  • fshifshi Posts: 57
    I just leased a 2006CTS3.6. From day one, I found this wierd whine noise when I accelerate, it is small but you can hear. I park the car rev the engine only, it is not there. It is pretty annoying. Basically anytime I sightly put my foot on the gas paddle, this noise comes, any idea? transmission gear, drive axal? Thanks.
  • jpennjpenn Posts: 68
    Am I mistaken or was the 2007 CTS supposed to debut at the Detroit Auto Show? So far, I haven't read anything about it. What's up?
    I think that the 2007 CTS will be much the same car that the 2006 CTS is. The 2008 CTS will be extensively redone. That is to say, restyled and perhaps upgraded with respect to engineering.
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 373
    Nobody at the L.A. Auto Show seems to know if the CTS upgrade will be an '07 or an '08, or when it will be introduced.
  • Anyone have a CTS-V in new england as a daily driver? I am in the market of car come this summer and really like the idea of a used 2004 CTS-V. Other than the rear diff/wheel hope issue, anything to be aware of and look for? has it been a reliable ride? I would plan on set of dedicated snows for the winter. Also, it seems there are alot of these cars available on Autotrader, ebay, etc... with low miles. Makes me wonder why. Any ideas?

Thanks allot for your advice.
  • In the market for a car come this summer. I like the CTS-V. Lots of used 2004's out there at what look like good prices. Other than the rear diff/wheel hop issues, what issues should I look for? Electronics OK (biggest concern with american car after a couple bad experiences)? Has this car been reliable? I am thinking dedicated snows for NE.

Thank you for your advice.