Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    bingoman - OK, if you are willing to pay, then they should give it to you.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    The guys on Car Talk (PBS) say that if run the gas tank nearly empty all the time you will overheat the fuel pump. Their theory is that the fuel in the tank cools the pump and if the fuel level drops low enough that there won't be enough fuel to keep the pump cool. My theory is that if the fuel level gets low, then the pump may pump air at times, which may damage the pump. I don't know. My 86 Electra T-type ran out of fuel a couple of times (fuel gauge was a bit flaky) and all I had to do was add gas and it would start right up. But the pump crashed after the second time I ran out of fuel.
  • wallywallawallywalla Member Posts: 26
    Did anyone notice if the clock is keeping the correct time? I am not looking for a clock on the left side of the tach ( better place for a temp guage)so I haven't been checking it until I showed the car to my brother and he asked where the clock was located. He told me the time was wrong.

When I set the correct time the analog clock shows 4 minutes behind. I'm watching it now as I set it by programming 4 minutes ahead to get it right on. In a month, the clock had lost 7 minutes.It may have been a minor programming error at the dealership but I didn't notice the difference in the settings until I tried to set the clock myself. I've been looking for a radio station that puts out time but haven't found one yet in this area.

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Here's an idea: what if the automakers gave us a display on either side of the tach/speedo with room for at least 2 gauges of the driver's choice. A button for each of the four displays could simply cycle through the available gauges to be displayed. You want oil temp? You got it. In any of the four positions. Coolant temp? No problem. Voltmeter? External temp? Compass? Fuel Mileage? Take your pick. The data is already available from the computer, so it's just software other than the actual display units. I know - it's one more piece of expensive to repair electronics - but I think this would be the ultimate personalization and answer to the age old "where's my gauges" problem.

What do you think?
    It's almost a certainty now (based on the publicly available media kit) that the 2003 LS will no longer offer a manual transmission. This was most certainly due to cost cutting pressure and dismal recent manual sales. The McLaren LS will offer a 6-speed manual and it's possible that the future 400 hp LS will get a 6-spd manual (the one from the Cobra should work just fine).

It's too bad that we won't be able to compare the performance of the 2003 V6 manual. The V6 gets 232 hp and 220 lb ft of torque with VVT plus a 3.58 rear end.

Sort of ironic - the LS had a manual up until 2003 and the Stype didn't. Now the Stype has it and the LS doesn't. Interesting to see how the S-type manual and CTS manual sell going forward. I think it's the right move from a business standpoint, but from an emotional standpoint it's disappointing. Just offering a manual makes a statement.
  • bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    AKIRBY - I think it would be a great idea. If they were digital displays they would simply feed off the DIC portion of the computer.

Personally I don't understand why they can't simply include a fully instrumented dashboard, or at least make one optional. Every time they cut down on the instrumentation there is a howl from the public. Anyway, I can't see how they justify the need for a tachometer on a car with an automatic transmission, but then leave off really useful instruments. The best arrangement would be a complete display with a single big red idiot light which would go on if any value went out of range, telling you to check the instruments. That way if you were not in the habit of checking regularly you would still not get caught unaware.
    Funny you should mention that. My 95 Ford Ranger pickup had a full set of gauges (fuel, voltmeter, temp and a binary oil pressure gauge - the input was either OK or NOT OK so for all practical purposes it was an idiot lite disguised as a gauge - but I digress). It also had a "Check Gauges" light that came on anytime any of the four gauges were out of the normal range.

To me this is ideal - you can have your cake and eat it too. If you don't happen to see the gauge going out of normal the light will alert you. But I'm not sure that feature still exists. It did prompt interesting conversations with the wife though:

"The check gauges light came on in your truck."
    "So what was it?"
    "What was what?"
    "What was the problem?"
    "The light came on."
    "For which gauge??"
    "How should I know?"
    "Didn't you check them when the light came on?"
    "Check what?"
    "The gauges, what else?"
    "No."
    "Aaarrrgghhhh!!!!!"

In this case it was the fuel gauge that showed empty because it was parked on a hill. And I only slightly exaggerated the conversation. But you get the point.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Ahem.

We are straying far from the topic, and all of you know what kind of trouble that has gotten us into previously.

The off-topic conversation is not an issue as long as it remains civil and it returns to the subject on a regular basis. That is what I've seen happening here so far.

The only reason I'm commenting at all is due to the past history of this subject. All I want to do is keep up everyone's awareness of the necessity to not let this conversation devolve the way the previous topic did.

Okay?

Thanks.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the low hanging tailpipe on Camrys. They have actually had this for years.
    akirby - your fuel gauge problem reminds me of an incident years ago. My mother and some of her friends took my fathers '56 Lincoln, which she rarely drove, to drive up to my brothers summer camp for a visit. After driving for about two hours they arrived. They suddenly notice that the temper gauge was reading full hot and assumed that the car had overheated. But they had arrived at the camp so they left the car to see my brother. After visiting for several hours they returned to the car to find the gauge still reading full hot. It was only then that they realized the the needle always went to full hot when the ignition was off.

I hope this is not too far off topic. I only mention it to remind everyone to find out what your gauges mean before you drive the vehicle.
  • automoleautomole Member Posts: 154
    hydra2: She probably has a good point if she's used to FWD and often drives in the snow. One of the things I do like about the CTS is the little 'snowflake' button near the shifter on the automatic that allows you to select a winter driving setting in which the car starts out in third gear; that combined with ABS and traction control gives me a good enough sense of winter safety although I'm sure AWD would be better. AWD was one of the things I liked about the Jag X-type but overall the CTS won in my decision for a new car.

bingoman: I too would be willing to pay for the software upgrade. I feel that if it requires a PROM chip or hardware of some kind a nominal upgrade fee would be uacceptable. If it just requires new software to be uploaded however, I actually do think it should be free under warranty. As for the gas gauges, yes they're all innacurate at low range; my gripe with the CTS is that IMO 'low range' should be around 10-15 miles left until empty...not 40 miles! I try to never let the gauge go that low either...unfortunately sometimes my wife will drive the car and leave me the surprise of a nearly empty tank in which case a 'guesstimate' of DTE would be extremely helpful.

akirby: My fear with the CTS is that they will ONLY offer a manual if they come out with a higher HP CTSi version. Ultimately car buyers should always have the choice between auto/manual transmissions. My gripe with Ford has been that they've never offered the Cobra with an auto. There are some of us left that still like to go fast but have graduated into a yuppie [non-permissible content removed] lifestyle in which juggling a baby, a Starbucks coffee, and city trafic is too much to do while trying to clutch and shift at the same time.

wallywalla: Simply put...the CTS clock sucks. Mine is off by 3 minutes as compared to the time you set on the computer. It's too bad that with all the other high-tech gizmos in the CTS they couldn't have thought to put in a clock that was set via radio; I mean, you can buy one of those 'Oregon Scientific' clocks for around $30 that will set itself to an atomic clock via radio waves so I don't see why GM couldn't have included one on the CTS. Car stereo and computer clocks are typically very innacurate because they don't use a quartz reference.
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    wallywalla: When first delivered in March my analog clock was four minutes behind the digital clock setting. After several resets it somehow magically righted itself over the next few weeks. It is now in sync with the digital clock and has maintained perfect time for now over three months.
    Thanks - I thought it was just my CTS and that it needed to go back to the dealer. I'll try resetting the clock and see if the clocks go back into sinc over the next couple of weeks.
    Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get the survey from Cadillac in the mail? Bought my CTS June 7 and still nothing.Does it take GM longer to send them out? I never owned a GM product before so I'm just curious.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    The black CTS in Oswego is sold ! Guy sez
    they got FULL STICKER ! He sez we will have
    one one coming in Cashmere (ugh)! NO CTS
    in Syracuse either and they are running a
    379 mth lease deals with NONE to sell....
    O in stock, 5 on way, 10 to order !
    But still no GMO/GMS deal YET......geo
    I'm sure you can find a dealer that will do the GMO/GMS deal and order one for you if you expand your search area. I thought I heard of several in NJ doing it. Besides, the long ride home would be fun!
    But i would rather buy locally. Too buzy
    to travel now because our motel in Alex.
    Bay is open and jamming ! And my bar,rest,
    hotel in Hannibal too ! Too buzy to golf,
    Jetski , boat or fish ! My 96 Deville
    is still purring at 90k...If I have to
    wait so be it. Maybe at the end of season
    the CTSi will be around........geo
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "GMO/GMS deal"??
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    This represents special pricing for certain people. GMS is for GM suppliers, but I can't remember what GMO is. Ever heard of the Ford "X-plan? Basically, if you have a relation to certain automotive coporations, you can qualify for special pricing on automobiles they sell.

The other (GMO?) is for people who are related to GM employees or the employees themselves. They have a special website where you put in their Soc. Sec. # and fidn the special pricing.
    GMS and GMO is the employee/retiree/family member discount. GMS is if you take the car out of dealer stock, GMO is if you order the car. If you order, you get an extra few bucks off (maybe 1%). It's basically invoice pricing, minus the dealer holdback. Supplier pricing is different than GMS.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Has anyone out there bought a used luxury car such as Audi, Cadillac or Lexus recently?
    If so, and if you're willing to talk about it with a major daily newspaper, please send your vehicle and contact info to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, July 31. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You are correct......GM offers other plans
    for GM suppliers...dealer employees etc..
    But the GM employee, retiree deals are the
    BEST ! and NO advertising fees or BS either !
    Broken shoulder here too ! too much phsy.
    therapy 3 days a week. Can't have no fun !
  • shifty4shifty4 Member Posts: 53
    I took CTS delivery on 3/27 and received the Powers survey on 7/8/02. This is the first contact I have had. No calls from selling dealer and no info from Cadillac other than multiple mailings from On-Star. I am not complaining but am surprised by the lack of follow-up.
  • codyspawcodyspaw Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had trouble with their CTS key fob? Mine seems to have a mind of its own as to whether it wants to work or not. Approaching 2000 miles on mine and will have the dealership address the key fob issue when I take it in for first oil change. Just curious if this is a common problem or just me.

As to order delivery. I ordered my Diamond White/Neutral interior Luxury Option fully loaded on April 15. Was called by the dealer the first Saturday of June that "they haven't started building your car yet". Supposedly the dealer had one "just like I ordered" coming in July 2. "OK put my name on that one." In the mean time got on the GM Buy Power web site and found 2 "just like I ordered" at the local Cadillac competitor. Sent them an email to hold one of them on a Friday afternoon. Drove it home Saturday at noon. LOVE IT! Got $1500 discount and price of $38K. The guy that paid $43K... hummmmmmm???
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    I hope my note is in keeping with the current objective of this board.

CTS was advertised as the Catera replacement, wasn't it? I am a very satisfied owner of a 2001 Catera Sport and would like to see comments from others who may be previous Catera owners, or who have driven both vehicles. I am hoping to see feature evaluations NOT relating to horsepower, or external styling; rather, how do the 2 compare for fit and finish, trunk room, neat features, and other attributes which may be of value to older drivers. I find the memory ability of the internal mirror a big help for 2 drivers, as an example.

I owned 3 Cadillacs prior to leasing my Catera ('96 Concours, '97 Concours, and a '99 STS.) My owner satisfaction is much higher for the Catera...the headliner came loose in my STS, and discovered the only thing holding it in was velcro and magnets. The Catera is a solid design all around! What about the CTS?
  • necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    Just an FYI to people on this board, today I picked up my beautiful black CTS MT with two-tone interior. As of the end of the drive home, I think it has 33 miles on it. I'll drive around a bit, and then post my impressions...:)
    tricky73 - I just returned from a 7000 mile trip around the MidWest with my CTS Sport with navigation. I traded a '97 Catera with 70,000 miles which I had driven around the country from Los Angeles to New England and back via Georgia and Texas.

New features that I like,
    step-on parking brake on left to replace hand brake.
    right hand mirror with turn down feature to let you see the curb while parallel parking.
    much better cup holders in the console.
    driver's seat programmable auto slide back when door is opened.
    independent seat cushion tilt and back rest tilt on front seats.
    better center console storage.
    floor mats that stay in place.
    the optional navigation system is very good, although it takes a bit of experience to get used to its ideocyracies. I would reccoment it to anyone who makes frequent trips to unfamiliar locations. It saved me many an argument with my wife on the trip, as she has trouble reading a map and giving me directions while we are moving.

Changes I could do without,
    lack of full instrumentation.
    no lock on the gas tank door.
    a smaller trunk, 12.8 cu ft. vs 14.5 cu ft on the Catera, although it is very square and easy to load.
    less space in glove compartment.
    less space in rear seat if you often carry adults.
    A few notes on the mechanical side. The engine is an update of the Catera engine and is made in England, I believe by the same factory that made the Catera motor. The new 5 speed automtic is the same one used in the BMW 5 series. The ride in the sport option is just slightly firmer than the '97 Catera, I can't speak for later models.

I hope this helps you to make a decision. If you have any other specific questions I will be happy to try to answer them. If you decide to stay with the Catera I would recommend that you purchase the extended warranty. You can purchase it as long as you are under the factory warranty, and if you sell the car it is a great selliing feature, or you can get a rebate of the unused time and mileage. It saved me a bundle when I had the transmission replace at 60,000 miles.
  • manuelmanuel Member Posts: 13
    congrats on your new cts, black is definitely the color it looks best in, to me. I especially congratulate you on your purchase of a manual transmission equipped cts, the stick will make it that much more of an entertaining car.
    The auto trans is made in France.
    Noticed it on the fed sticker !
    Congrats on your new black manual CTS !!!!!!!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    I'm a refugee from the Lincoln LS board where I've made a pest of myself by asking about the future of the manual transmission. In short, will there ever be a 240 - 260 hp luxury (or "near-luxury") sedan which handles well, has a manual and costs less than $45K?

The Lincoln answer has recently been confirmed to be . . . NO.

You folks offer hope.

I'll pick up the literature and have a more serious look at the car over the next few months.

CTS, G35, 5 Series (or 3, but it's too small), or 2.7T? Is that now the total list for those who will only drive a manual?
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    codyspaw: I have the EXACT same problem with the keyfob and my wife thinks I'm crazy when I say it doesn't work since she never has a problem with her remote. Whenever I use it and she's around it works great...I could be 30 feet away from my car and it will lock/unlock via the remote. Sometimes however I can't get it to work at all. I went into the coffee shop tonight and actually locked the door with the door button because my remote didn't want to work for some reason. When I got back to the car I couldn't get it to unlock even when I was only a foot away from the driver's door! For a couple of seconds I thought I'd have to go back in and call Onstar to have them pop the locks so I could drive home...luckily after about 10 button presses and holding the remote up to the windshield I got it to unlock. If you find anything out from the dealer let me know! So far I haven't had any real big problems other than the small annoyances with the remote and innacurate clock time.

necros: Congratulations on your CTS! You have the exact same color combination as mine; my CTS has the automatic. I'm sure my opinion is biased but I think black is the best color to show off the CTS's dramatic styling.

cdnpinhead: You owe it to yourself to take the CTS for a testdrive. It's a little bit lower than your HP requirements (220HP) but it handles much better than "well"! I've owned faster cars but the CTS has been keeping me VERY entertained with it's excellent handling and braking and it's power is more than adequate for my needs.

bingoman: If the CTS's cup holders are much better I'd hate to see the ones that the Catera had! Seriously, they're not horrible and I like the way you can remove the tray for cleaning but it would be nice to have ones that you could put a BigGulp in. The non-locking gas cap on the CTS is another minor gripe of mine although I've yet to own a car that DID have a locking cap. Overall the features I love far outweigh the ones I hate.
    I just found this helpful bit of info on the owners section CTS FAQ on the Cadillac website:

"What should I do if my remote keyless entry transmitter does not work, or I have to stand closer to the vehicle?"

"At times you may notice a decrease in range. This is normal for any remote keyless entry system. Take a few steps to the left or right, hold the transmitter higher, and try again. Battery replacement or resynchronization may be necessary. See your Owner's Manual for more information."

-Ummm, I've had SEVERAL remote keyless entry systems and to have the range decrease to the point of not being able to open your door when standing a foot away from it is not "normal"!
    I also don't feel that I should have to do the hokey pokey in order to open my door! ...not very helpful info from Cadillac.

I assume if I use the old fashioned method of putting a key in the doorlock the alarm will be disarmed, correct? I'll have to try it out tomorrow when I've verified the remote is working in case I have to disarm it.

The owners manual says "push any button on the remote keyless transmitter to resynchronize the transmitter"...again, not very helpful info since you are already pushing "any button" to try and open the friggin' door!
    cdnpinhead - If you're not in a rush to buy a new car, the '04 CTS will have an upgraded engine standard (250+hp), and Autoweek reported a week or so ago, there will be a CTSi with basically the same driveline as the GTO - 5.7L V8, 350+hp, 6 speed manual trans.
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    Try putting the keyfob in the cleft of your chin when using it...the human body makes a reasonably good antenna, and will double the range in some instances
    Automole - the cup holders in the Catera folded out of the console to a position directly over the hand brake. The supporting struts were notched in the middle to clear the console lid. The combination guaranteed that if the brake were applied while the cup holders were deployed the cup holders would break of at the notch. I broke two before I realized what was happening. When I tried to replace them while on the road the dealers were invariably out of replacement parts.

As to unlocking with the key, the manual says opening the car with either the fob or the key will disarm the security system.

I have the white diamond and I think it is the best looking color. The pearlized finish is much more attractive then a plain white. As an extra cost option my dealer painted the grill bars to match the car and I think it adds a great deal to the appearance of the car. I guess everyone feels that the color of their car is the best, otherwise why would they have picked it.
    Try changing the battery. It's easy and will at least eliminate it as a potential cause.
    Could someone please repost the link to monthly vehicle sales volumes for all brands?
    Thanks.
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    The best place I've found for all-brand sales figures is Autosite. Here's the link to the sales figures main page:

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/homfc.asp

You have to click on a category (sedans, for example) and then on the Sales Volume link. The downside to this site is that its updates are fairly slow; the latest figures are for May.

For more current Cadillac (and all GM brands) info, go to

http://media.gm.com

and list the articles for the current month. You'll find one for prior month sales at the beginning of each month. CTS sales for June were 3,466 units.

For North American production figures for all brands, go to:

http://www.autonews.com

Midway down the page, on the right-hand side, there's a box titled "North American Car and Truck Production". Click on the "Click here" link to get production figures by week. Note: It's in .pdf format, so Acrobat Reader is required.

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    If one is willing to go FWD and AWD in addition to RWD, then there are actually a ton of choices. Can't wait for soon-to-be G35 manual (Feb '03). From under $45,000, decent choices run from Maxima SE 6-speed with LSD to BMW 530i.

Not sure HP really matters. What matters is how they actually perform on the road. The 300 HP Mercury Marauder has been seeing published road tests in the 7.0-7.5 second 0-60 mph range. What good are these supposed 300 ponies? Must be weak ponies? Or old ponies?

But thankfully CTS is offering 5-speed manual. Will be interesting to see if they go 6 speed in both base and more powerful engine. Enthusiasts need to help Cadillac keep a true manual option. Don't give up like Lincoln. And thankfully Cadillac introduced the CTS with true manual compared to Infiniti's delayed G35. Bet the true test will come from whether Cadillac can sell CTS in European and Asian markets.
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    Thousands of messages on a car board. People literally stopping to gawk at the product. Auto magazines taking notice and putting your car on a cover story, against BMW no less.

This is new for Cadillac. The fact that Cadillac has this much attention from one product foretells good news about the future. Can't wait for the XLR, and STS!
  • arennarenn Member Posts: 35
    Did anyone see the brief blurb this week:

"GM's Performance Division. As you read this, GM Performance Division operatives are over in Germany, hammering around the classic Nurburgring long course in V8-powered Cadillac CTS prototypes. The advanced word on this car is that it has sensational potential, and the GM performance division crew doesn't plan on leaving the Nurburgring until it reaches it."

http://www.autoextremist.com/page6.shtml

• hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    I have seen several CTS colors and thought that the sweetest colors were red, silver and black.

On a recent walk on the Lake Michigan Lakefront, my wife was commenting on how hard it was to tell the differnce between certain cars, such as some lexus and MB models that were driving by on Lake Shore Drive. Suddenly a white cts drove by and our eyes were rivited on it. It was beautiful. I began to understand why so many people seem to prefer white. It was like it was the only unique car on Lake Shore Drive. Love it or hate it the CTS gets attention.
    I believe it was in Autoweek a few weeks back that they mentioned a 250+ hp V6 and 6 speed manual were coming as the standard powertrain for the CTS. This was in addition to their report that the CTSi will be V8 and not a blown V6. I'm thinking 2004 will be it for me. Car should still not be as common as 3 series by then and not only will any potential "first year" bugs be ironed out, but the hp will be up. And who knows, maybe Cadillac will put a temp gauge in the cluster.
    I wanted to like the LS when it came out three years ago and it did have some appealing points, but I always thought the interior seemed kind of cheap looking and the powertrain choices were lackluster. Why not the first generation SHO's Yamaha V6 and the Mark VIII's 4.6 liter DOHC V8? Anyone else think the stick in the LS itself looks a bit small? I've even wondered why Lincoln didn't build a long wheelbase version of the LS, put the 4.6 liter V8 in it and make it a proper Continental. Not that FWD abortion they have now which sadly has a better interior than any other Lincoln product.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Was in Toronto cottage country this past week and saw several CTS on the road. Car is definitely catching on and it's nice to see them on the road. Certainly can't miss them!
  • baron87baron87 Member Posts: 93
    http://www.globalautonet.com/pages/roadahead/072902.html

Great article...my favorite line is:

"To grab the public’s attention, insiders say Cadillac in January will unveil a breathtaking new V-16 concept limousine at the 2003 Detroit show that will make Jurgen Schempp’s Maybach look like an old DeSoto."

I don't even know what to say....

• 1997montez341997montez34 Member Posts: 202
    I have to say in the past week I have seen a ton of CTS on the road.
  • sweetjeldoradosweetjeldorado Member Posts: 94
    "Car should still not be as common as 3 series by then."

Why should it matter to you if the CTS is as common like the 3 series? There are a lot of cars that are more common than the 3 series like the Camrys and Accords for example but does not have breathe taking styling.

If the CTS is more common than the 3 series, I would buy it over a Beamer 3 series if I had the cash in a heartbeat. I rather buy a luxury car that is more common with breathtaking design rather than the one with bland styling. You see what I am saying. If you like the CTS(actually, it sounds like you love the car), go out and get one regardless if your next door neighbor and his brother owns one. Besides, it is an entry-level luxury car that is pretty affordable somewhat more so than the mid-size $50,000-$60,000 cars that not seen too often.

J "CaddyLac"