Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• Options
    ctsmanualctsmanual Member Posts: 1
    Took delivery last week of a Platinum CTS with the luxury package and a manual transmission.

What a great ride!!

Since it is a manual, placed an order from the factory on April 2, it arrived at the dealer on April 28 and I picked it up on the 29th. 0% and all that.

Because of the late manufacture date, I'm glad it has a temp gauge instead of an analog clock.

It was tough waiting for it to arrive, but thanks to everyone on this board, I was able to survive by keeping up-to-date with issues.

300 miles and counting...
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Welcome to the manual club you will really like it , wish I had that temp gauge Bill
  • Options
    golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I am considering the purchase of a CTS. I was wondering what some of you paid for your CTS. Were you able to purchase at the published invoice prices or below invoice? Would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
  • Options
    In my local paper i see new CTS's being offered for 3000 to 4500 off msrp. THe 4500 price included a $750 military discount. My CTS was a GM owned car for a factory rep so I bought it as a certified car
  • Options
    cu95cu95 Member Posts: 96
    Ctsjerry, I couldn't find anything in the OnStar manual, so I guess I'm going crazy. I may flip through the owner's manual but I doubt there'll be anything in there.

Golfnut5, I bought a base with automatic in April for ~$25 over dealer invoice which made it $29,750 before taxes and DMV costs (it had a build date of Jan '03, so was based on the previous price before the latest hike; invoice included GM advertising charges for the area). The sticker was $31,490. If you're buying from dealer inventory and can find a CTS with the previous sticker price, that's an easy way to save ~$300. The offers I got from other dealers were ~$100 over invoice (after a fair bit of haggling) and ~$700 over (didn't even bother to haggle), and both of those were based on the new, higher price.
  • Options
    mannytrannymannytranny Member Posts: 175
    Congrats on your CTS!!!!!!!

Glad to see another manual trans. Enjoy the ride!
  • Options
    When I bought mine last June the dealer didn't hesitate to give $1500 off MSRP. Actually it was about $100 over invoice if I remember correctly. At that time they did not give as much as they do now. I wanted mine and I bought it right out of stock. Because it was a manual trans I think the dealer went right to $1500. I heard that it was more to bargain on an auto trans. Now it's the same on both. I figured at the time the dealer was afraid of not selling the manual and wanted a sale. But not anymore. Although they sell more autos than manual they seem to have at least one manual in stock at all times.
         So bargain away!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ctsjerryctsjerry Member Posts: 94
    I am very lucky to work for a Company that is a supplier to GM, so I got the "Family & Friends" price which is 4% over what a GM employee would pay. There is no dickering, once you present the special form I got from GM verifiying my eligibility. That was it. Here in glorious high taxation California, the sales tax was around $3000. I did calculate that by having my discount I saved $4550 over what an average person would pay, out the door including all fees and tax (IF they paid sticker price). So with the discount I was able to afford a few more goodies than normal on my car. I got a loaded model that's only missing two options: NAV system & Moonroof. It's got everything else. The scary part is that even though this car cost me about $36,250 out the door, this is the cheapest model Caddy they sell. We couldn't afford a STS, Escalade or even a Deville! Our '91 Deville was $28K new out the door. My how times have changed!
  • Options
    golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Thanks for pricing information. Fortunately, I have $2000 worth of rebates on my GM credit card. According to credit card web site I can use $1000 towards CTS purchase, every little bit helps.
  • Options
    jeff06jeff06 Member Posts: 2
    I have owed my sport CTS for a year and a month. I have 34,000.00+ miles on it. (Yes I drive allot). Since, I have had my Navigation replaced because the buttons on the Nav are wearing out. The gray color is rubbing off and showing white plastic. I have replace 10 tires(17')all together so far. The problem is on the exterior inner sidewalls. My tires seems to be bubbling and starting to shred, it looks at first glance like the tires are rubbing against something on the inside of the car. I noticed it the first time when I was getting my tires rotated and the service mgr at Discount tire (I bought a life time balance and rotate from them when the car was 2 days old) showed me the wear on the exterior inside tires and said 'these tires need to be replaced something is wrong' So I took pics of the tires and went to Sewell Cadillac and they had people look at them and said yes the tires are defective and Sewell Cadillac gave me four new tires. Well 5 months later here we go again same problem accruing. The buttons on my NAV are showing white plastic and my tires are shredding again. Has anyone heard of any other CTS owner having these problems?

Jeffery Sims (jeff06@speakeasy.net)

P.S
    Other than the mentioned problems I am very happy so far.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Member Posts: 373
    When I had my car serviced about a month ago, including a tire and balance, with 14,000 miles, I had to replace one tire because of a strange cut or damage on the inside exterior sidewall reported to me by the service department (I did not see the actual damage as the service people had the tire replaced at a tire dealer near the Cadillac shop with which I had previously done business. In fact they had installed the tire pressure sensors in the CTS tire for me just after I bought the car.) I wonder if this was caused by an action similar to that which damaged the tires on jeff06's car. I shall have to watch the tires carefully in the future.
  • Options
    What does that mean guys? Please explain. Do you mean the inboard side (backside not visible side) of the side walls, or the outboard side (visible side) of the side walls? My outboard or visible portion of my tires look great thus far. For reference, I have the Luxury Sport with the 17" V High Speed Rated tires. Thanks for the interesting post. We all should check. -Jer:>)
  • Options
    Ok, I'm NOT crazy, well, at least as far as OnStar is concerned. I was certain that I had read in the OnStar manual that it could be used with automated systems but I couldn't find it the other night. Turns out that the two OnStar manuals I have (one was handed to me by the salesperson with the some other paperwork, the other was in my trunk when I took delivery) are different versions. Looking at the other manual, this is what you do (for those who don't have this info):
    1. While in a call, press the Talk button (the talking head on the steering wheel), which puts your call on mute; OnStar will ask for a number.
    2. Say the number(s) (OnStar will repeat each one after you say it) --saying "pound" for # and "star" for *-- and when done say "Dial" (btw, you cannot use a nametag to send a string of numbers, you must recite the numbers).
    3. OnStar will then send the number(s) to the automated system and you'll be returned to your call.
    4. Repeat as necessary.
  • Options
    The interior of the tire is where the air is, the exterior is the outside of the tire. The outside sidewall is the side of the tire you see when you are outside the car and looking at it. The inside sidewall is the side of the tire facing the middle of the car. I hope this clears up everything.
  • Options
    rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    Where I live, I've found there is air both in the interior as well as the exterior of the tire. Even though I can't see it, I'm fairly certain it exists in both places. (Ok Ok Ok...I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.)
  • Options
    wow lots of confusion over interior /exterior LOL . I will keep an eye on my 17" Goodyears .
  • Options
    What do the manuals look like? All I recieved was a brochure packet in the mail from OnStar about 3 weeks after I bought the CTS.It had a window sticker and a laminated OnStar info card inside. That's all. I never got anything from the dealer. I was told that the info is in the CTS owner's manual.
        I will go back and ask the dealer for the "manual" once I know what to ask for. Thanks!
  • Options
    It's called "OnStar Owner's Guide". It came in a thin navy blue box/envelope (9L x 4.5W x .5H) that also says "OnStar Owner's Guide" on it. Inside the box was the Guide, a quick reference card (sounds like you got that or something like it) and two OnStar stickers for the car's windows. The box is labelled part # 12451373.
  • Options
    thebugthebug Member Posts: 294
    Anyone: Are the 17" tires wider than the base 16's?

cu95: In post 2922, regarding the use of OnStar, are you saying that you can pause an in progress call to add the digits for an automated, (you know press 1 for this and 2 for that) system? If so, that's cool. So far if I call into an automated system, (I've only encountered one, my office number) it will automatically transfer me to the operator (which is very time consuming) without offering the usual prompt. Please explain further.

thebug...
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    My Intrigue came with a blue packet containing a quick reference guide and a users manual for Onstar. After it was activated, Onstar sent me a packet in the mail that contained a window sticker and a laminated card.
  • Options
    Seems like I saw somewhere where the 17" tires were 1/2 inch wider than the 16". Don't quote me on it.
    OnStar finally came up with a number to issue me (only took 3 weeks.) So now I can play with it to see how it's really gonna work for me. I, too, got the blue box owners packet, complete with extra spiffy window stickers.
  • Options
    32caddy32caddy Member Posts: 22
    Do you use a pull thru car wash?? And how is the car moved??
  • Options
    thebug,
    Are you saying that a call via OnStar to your voicemail causes your voicemail to respond differently than a call from an ordinary phone? If that's the case, I can't guess why. What I read indicates that you should be able to use your voicemail system via OnStar. The manual even gives some example dialogues. I've scanned the pages in question, hope this helps. You can get to the image of the pages at: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/letsgored95/onstar01.jpg
    The image may only be there for a little while, so I recommend that you save the image to disk.
  • Options
    The prior one should download pretty quick but image quality is so-so. Here's a higher detail greyscale version, but it may take a little bit longer to download: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/letsgored95/onstar03.jpg
  • Options
    I believe (but I am not sure) that the car wash I use pushes the car via a chain pulled wheel behind the front or rear left side tire. The chain is on the outer side of the tire and the pusher wheel pushes against the back of the tread. Nothing should contact the inner side of the tire where the damage was done.

I suspect the tire was cut by a stray piece of metal on the roadway.
  • Options
    Thank you. I will try this in the morning.

thebug...
  • Options
    cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    first of all I wanted to say thanx to everyone, cause I love reading all of your comments about your cars, its been really helpful... I'm currently in the middle of deciding on which car to buy.. CTS, 3.5SE altima, or a MB C230 sport sedan... I like all three but I'm having trouble decidning which one to put my money into... when equiped the same there all with in a thousand dollars of each other.. (before we haggle prices) so I'm really trying to figure out which I like more... I like the interior of the CTS over the Altimas,but I like the prestiege that comes with bein an owner of a MB... could ya'll please advise me as to what to buy or look at ... thanx
  • Options
    I think some people --particulary on this board-- may take exception to your prestige comment. I'm "only" thirty, but I'm an old school, American pride sort of guy. To me, Cadillac is the end-all, be-all prestige automobile. But, to each his own. [Stepping off of soapbox]

As to the cars you mentioned, I didn't consider any MBs (we own a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so in a sense we already own one :-) ), and I only gave the Altima cursory consideration. I'd say between the two, the CTS is a driver's car that can adequately accomodate family man needs and the Altima is a family car that can adequately accomodate a driver's desires. If we didn't have the family covered with the Jeep, I'd have given a car like the Altima more consideration.
  • Options
    batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    I can't imagine a CTS owner recommending either the Altima or MB over the CTS. I looked at those cars as well as BMW 3-series, Audi, and about everything else with four wheels. To me, the CTS is the best looking and best value. I'm happy with every feature and completely satisfied with the performance.

When I looked at the small MBs, I thought my wife's 97 Accord Special Edition Coupe was a better looking car and a far better value.

I think the Altimas look great in some of their commercials, but I have yet to see one on the street that causes people to turn a stare at the car the way they do when they see my black CTS. I caught myself doing the stare last week when a Blue Onyx CTS drove through an intersection where I was stopped.

Several folks have asked questions about prices and discounts. I bought my CTS through the GM Employee Family Purchase Program. I was very pleased with the no-haggle price offered through that program (several thousand under MSRP). When my car was ready for pickup at the dealer, the salesman called and told me to bring my Honda registration papers when I came to pick up the car. They gave me another $1,500 off under a program called "Conquest" which attempts to attract owners of certain other makes to the Cadillac family. (I did not trade the Honda or anything else on the CTS). I recommend that you ask dealers about every program in effect to see if you qualify for any of them. I hadn't asked because I incorrectly thought that I wasn't eligible for other discount programs when I used the GM Family Purchase Plan.

One last comment about what to buy. While I preferred the CTS to all other cars, the way the people at the Cadillac dealership treated me compared to the way I was treated at other dealerships convinced me that I wanted to do business with them. The folks at other dealerships all seemed like the stereotypical pushy hustlers that we've all met while shopping for cars. BMW and MB salesmen were pompous and condescending. The folks at the Cadillac dealership were friendly, courteous, and treated me and my wife with respect. They have followed up with phone calls and mail several times since my purchase to ensure that we are "completely satisfied" with the car and their service. Can't ask for much more than that.
  • Options
    willngaylewillngayle Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone have any info on what the interior of the 04 CTS will look like? I am interested in getting a CTS but don't like the 03 interior. I read some comments on this board that the 04 model may have some changes such as more wood trim and warmth. Also the fact that the 04 will have a more powerful engine definitely interests me. Your comments are appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    I think the interior stays the same except the analog clock becomes a temp gauge . So if you dont like the interior now I guesss you wont like the 04
  • Options
    I think you know that ultimately the choice is all yours, but it really all boils down to what you are looking for in a car. As I have said before in an earlier post, word of mouth is considered the best source of advertisement (what the consumer thinks about a product), and the consumer reviews on all three (Altima, CTS, and MB's C230) say a mouthful.

In reading what the people have to say about their vehicles, I can see without a doubt that those who have purchased a CTS seem to be a lot more pleased with their decision. BTW, the Altima seems to be having some serious problems (according to those who own them), and the MB C230 seems to be lacking a few must have creature comforts (see suggested improvements).

When researching during my most recent car purchase, I looked at MB's (lack of courteous sales staff, and too many look alikes), BMW 3's (too small, and pricy), BMW 5's (too little bang for the buck). The CTS had just about everything I was looking for, didn't really want the leather (too hot in the desert, ever sit on 150 degree seats with shorts on? Whew !), but I'll live with it.

Additionally, the sales staff were courteous and attentive, the option groupings were just so, (wasn't forced to get a sunroof with the best options), the CTS is gorgeous, and looks like no other car out there, the price was nice (lot of bang for the buck), the color choices, and as cu95 mentioned, the American prestige the comes with owning a Cadillac. Where I grew up, that's the way it is.

As a side note, if you have the money buy all three, and you may find that you'll drive the CTS the most. Just a little food for thought.

thebug...
  • Options
    If you look at the future vehicles for the CTS, you will see that it really hasn't changed much. They replaced the wood trim, and rearranged the bottons on the steering wheel.

I think the interior layout is pretty sharp, it communicates with the driver very well. I like to say that it flows. Everything is like, right there, at your fingertips, if you will. Unlike my other cars, where I have to lean, search, or move to make adjustments.

thebug...
  • Options
    If it is prestige your after then you'll want to write the Altima off your list. IMO, Cadillac is as much of a prestige brand as MB unless your spending in the $70K+ range. I'd test the C230 and CTS back to back and see which one you prefer. If I were going the MB route, I'd probably mobe up to a C240 and at least get a V6. I've read several auto reviews of the MB Kompressor(i.e. supercharged) inline 4 that have cited it as being a bit rough and not as refined sounding. While I haven't driven one, I can say that the only four banger I've met that I really like is the one Saab uses in the new 9-3.
  • Options
    The 04 CTS interior will likely stay about the same with some possible minor changes, but the new 260 hp V6 is for sure.
  • Options
    Started my CTS up this morning..it's been in the garage all night. Noticed a slight engine knock going on which went away after it warmed up. Searched and ran across the below post from several months ago. Anyone else experiencing this anomoly? If so, have you done anything about it...taken the car in the to shop, etc..??
    ------------------
    #1301 of 2944 Speaking of engines by b4z Nov
    01, 2002 (9:31 am)
    Wish GM would find a permanent solution to the knocking sound that many LS1 engines make when they are cold.
    Supposedly it is just piston slap that goes away after they get some heat in them but it is annoying nonetheless.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    That comment was in regards to the "V" series.
    The engine currently in your CTS is not an "LS" variant.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I am surprised that no one has mentioned the fact the C230 is a 4 cylinder.
    I could never see myself paying close to 40K for a car that has a 4 banger.
    It doesn't matter how refined it is or how many balance shafts it has a 4 cylinder will never be as smooth as a V6.
    It will always vibrate at idle with the car in drive.
    Plus the C230 is small inside and Mb is going through some quality issues right now.
  • Options
    cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    Well the reason I looked at the 230 over the 240 is cause the 230 had more horse power than the 240 v6... and yeah I knew its a 4l in the 230... I don't know I think I've come down to deciding to go the route of the CTS I really like the looks and I hear great comments about them... oh by the way I figured I'd share the wonderful gas prices we have were I live... unleaded 1.19.... unleaded plus 1.26... and premium is 1.35.... lol.. I can't help but smile and lauph when I see some of the prices ya'll pay... i'm glade I live in a little off shoot town... are prices have never gone over 1.5 .... :) well thanx for the help and one last question... I know I'm gonna buy in August... will they still have 03 CTS or will they be the 04... thanx...
  • Options
    Hi all- I too would like to thank all the posters here. Great stuff and humorous too at times!

I agree that Cadillac is the car to buy in it's class. Don't you like the fact that you're driving a American design in this day and age? I would think that driving a MB or BMW would be an embassment, considering the German's political decisions of the past few months (and I'm of German heritage!). Anyways, getting off my soap box for just a minute, I'm VERY happy I bought my CTS. Heck, I wouldn't be spending my time writing this if I didn't! I've had my CTS for about 7 months now and I'm still reading all of your posts. How many MB, Altima and BMW folks are still posting and reading posts about THEIR model car after 6 months?

The CTS is a REVOLUTIONARY design. I feel proud and unique when I drive down the car the streets of Los Angeles. Everywhere you see MBs, Altimas, Lexus, and BMWs. Not very imaginative, and a bit boring. The most CTSs I see in one day is maybe three, usually one or none. I like the exclusivity of these cars. When I see CTS owners we wave, much like Corvette owners do. There is a comeraderie you don't see with MB or BMW owners.

By the way, I got my CTS up to 110 mph briefly last week. I was on a short stretch of the Marina Freeway here in L.A.. I got on the onramp and just punched it. It was still wanting to go faster when the end of the Freeway was coming up soon, so I wisely backed off. That car has alot of get up and go, especially once over 40 mph.

About the tire problems, I too suspected a Car Wash might be to blame. But I guess it wasn't. We all should keep an eye on the inboard sides of our tires (I'm sorry, I'm an areospace engineer and "inboard" is how we refer to Spacecraft and aircraft components).

About the interior: I like the CTS interior alot. To me, it's very futuristic. But for the fellow who DOESN'T LIKE the 2003 Interior I can say two things: 1) the 2004 Interior will be pretty similar except for the new Temp Gauge (some of you lucky guys already have this on your CTSs. WOW! Wish there was a retro fit?). 2) try buying one in a single interior color, like the Dark Pewter or black. I think the tu-tone or tri-tone interiors are what some people see at the Dealers and can be a turn-off.
  • Options
    rob35ctsrob35cts Member Posts: 53
    I got an amazing deal on my cts. First of all I negotiated a 200 over invoice with the understanding that if the price went up I didn't have to pay anymore. It ended up that I got it for 30 under invoice after the increase. Add to that 1000 gm loyalty and 3540 gm card and that made 7800 off the price of the sticker. I got a silver sport lux pack with the special lights and a sunroof. So a 37600 car for just under 30,000.

The v series car gets a new instrument panel and brushed aluminum or similiar instead of wood in the interior. My sources tell me the 05 basic cts will get new interior. I cannot remember where I got that info.

I got the lousy clock instead of the temp gauge. When I get out of school I an going to take this issue up with them. I have already notified them about this. Did anyone find the fix they had is permanent. My garage man didn't know what to do. I am refering to the post on this site about the dual clock fix. Is it permanent?

Be carefull my dealership tried to pull some wool over my eyes. First they didn't offer me the 1.9% they tied to get me a loan thru a local bank. Second, they tried to charge me a Illinois surcharge of 288 I said no!!! Third, They didn't offer me the gm loyalty. Also guys I didn't pay any advertising fees!!!
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Boy, the Mini sure hasn't been a smooth start. 4th to last place isn't very impressive.
  • Options
    berrycherryberrycherry Member Posts: 23
    Updates for CTS
    CTS Week of 5/12/2003
    Effective 5/12/2003, the following changes will be made to the Vehicle Order Guide:

Color and Trim section-(92U) Silver Green exterior color has been added and is available with (132) Light Gray/Ebony, (192) Ebony and (702) Light Neutral interior colors.

Wish I could order a 2004 now, waiting for prices.

Berry
  • Options
    Has anyone asked if there is a way to retro fit the Temp Gauge in where the analog clock presently resides? I have heard of owners getting their defective clocks replaced, so it must be fairly easy to get to. I'd imagine the wiring harness would be the major impacting factor. Sure would be nice tho!! -Jer:>)
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2003028
    click on charts for full size (may require some additional clicking)
  • Options
    At the request of our host Pat, I've deleted my post of the Car and Driver article re initial quality. Here is the link to the article:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=30&article- _id=6654
  • Options
    I discussed the possibility of replacing the clock with a temp gauge with GM reps over a year ago, before I bought my car. They promised that it would be made as a running change, which apparently it was just recently although I don't know why it took so long. But they also said that it would not be possible to make it a refit item. It would be nice if some after market company could make a kit to replace the clock, but I imagine that now that it has been replace there would not be a large enough market to make it worth while. I even tried to get them to make the engine temp available in the information stack, which would only have required a computer programming change, but they said they would not do it.

There are only three items to warn of an overheat, the dashboard red thermometer flag, a warning on the radio or nav console that the A/C is being shut down due to engine over heating, and a warning to shut down the engine due to overheating.
  • Options
    batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    Wouldn't you love to hear the discussion of the GM engineers about the clock and temp guage. Do you suppose someone said, "Let's give 'em two clocks and leave off the engine temp guage."

Someone answered, "Great idea. Most buyers won't notice it before they buy it and then it'll drive 'em nuts for as long as they own the cars."

"Hey, I got a better idea," said a third misplaced rocket scientist. "Let's make sure the clocks don't sync on the same time and neither one of them keeps correct time."

"No Cadillac driver wants to know when the engine is cold or when it is getting too hot. All they want to know is that a possible reason it shut down was because it overheated. A red light will handle that."

"Hey, we can tell the guys in Quality Control that the normal engine temperature is ten past twelve. They'll never know the difference."

"What's more important? Knowing the engine temperature or having a backup clock in case you suspect the other clock doesn't keep correct time?"

"You can always check the engine temperature by touching it with your tongue. If a clock fails, you'd have to look at your wrist watch, check your cell phone, ask a passenger, drive by a bank, or turn on the radio to find out what time it is."

Okay... the actual discussions probably were funnier and less logical.

If their objective was to drive us nuts with two clocks, they succeeded.
  • Options
    willngaylewillngayle Member Posts: 19
    Anthony, "TheBug"
    Do you have any more details on the use of more wood in the 04 CTS interior. Personally I like the use of wood. I think it adds class and warmth to an interior. I've seen the aftermarket add-on (stick-on) laminates and they appear to look okay. I just think the use of wood on the CTS should include more than the just door handles, the shifter knob and top of the steering wheel. Actually I prefer an all leather steering wheel. I hate clacking my rings on the wood portion of the steering wheel. Thanks for any additional input you (or anyone else) may have.
    Bill
  • Options
    richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    Most of us regulars know the lead project engineer for the CTS. He posts here, every so often and I'm sure that he wouldn't have said anything like that.

However, if you change engineer to GM designer and/or GM pencil pusher, everything you say is correct.

Just add the designer comment, "The nav system is too easy to use. Let's throw in a few more buttons and a dial. That'll keep their eyes off the road during rush hour". LOL

Rich