Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cadillac CTS/CTS-V

Comments

• Options
    gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Thanks for the e-mail.... Dealers here are definitely charging more for service cycles.
  • Options
    biglevbiglev Member Posts: 8
    I have seen that website but I want to know when info goes up on cadillac.com
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Thanks for that link. Just make mine a base model with the 3.6 liter V6 and XM radio in blue chip(or possible this new red line color) with the light grey/ebony interior and I'll be a happy camper.
  • Options
    msgreenmsgreen Member Posts: 67
    Neither the number of cold starts nor the amount of time the engine spends above 4500 rpm is a measured factor in determining the length of time between service intervals. Fuel usage is the determining factor as measured by the on-board computer and displayed via "countdown lights" on the dashboard. For BMW six cylinder models designed to use conventional oils, the fuel usage amount is approximately 440 U.S. gallons. Later models delivered with factory installed synthetic oil have a longer change interval also measured in fuel usage (don't know the number of gallons off the top of my head). So, while you would certainly get through those 440 gallons faster if the engine spent most of its time above 4500 rpm, that time is not what is being measured to calculate when to change oil. In my 97 528, I typically go about 11K miles before my service indicator light comes on; however, I change my oil (as do most Bimmerphiles) more often than that. Cheers....
  • Options
    libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    And we're supposed to care because...........
    This discussion is about the Cadillac CTS not BMW.
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Actually CADILLAC uses a similar type system to determine oil life
  • Options
    jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    Hmmm...it'd be interesting to see what different manufacturers use as a strategy for service-countdown.

The only halfway-reliable published information I'd seen on BMW's strategy (in this case as applied to the E36) was that distance traveled > 4500RPM is counted 2x, and distance traveled cold is counted at 1.5x.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Anyone know if the Allante has become a little bit of a collector car?

I saw an ad from our local dealer who has 2 of them for C$32K each, which seems like a lot for a 10 year old Caddy. No mileage was given.
  • Options
    richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    Bill Bobynski is one of the Cadillac engineers that developed GM's Oil Life Monitor. Here's what Bill had to say about how the monitor determines when the oil in an engine needs to be changed.

"The oil life monitor counts engine revolutions as a basis for establishing a deterioration rate and adds factors to take into account engine rpm, oil temperature (modeled), coolant temperature, air temperature, soak times, run times, engine load while operating, etc. It is a very complex algorithm in the computer that then models the predicted oil life. It can tell based on engine load and rpm whether the vehicle is towing and decrements the oil life accordingly."

Bill also stated that changing oil at 3000 mile intervals is fine for those who do so. The price of an oil change is relatively cheap compared to the price of a new engine.

I change the oil in our CTS based on the monitor, unless I'm planning a road trip. It's worked fine on our other Caddy and seems to be working well on the CTS.

Rich
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Unless your planning a trip? My experience with the oil monitor suggests that on trips one can expect a longer interval. I figured with my Aurora, that I could expect about 70 miles for each 1% left on the oil life. So, if there is 20% left, one could make a 1000 mile round trip and have some left over. My 2002 Cadillac is on a longer oil change interval and I think a 100 mile per each percentage point left is a fair guess and probably conservative.
  • Options
    eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    Only if it's a '93. Otherwise, no.
  • Options
    My SLS has an analog (electronic simulation) temperature gauge. I have noticed that it is always (when the engine is warmed up) centered. Now that we have had some 100 degree days, I am surprised that it has not run even the tinyest bit warm. I suspect that the computer is judging the engine coolant to be in the "normal operating range" and so the needle is kept centered.

pmdriver may want to comment on whether this is how GM/Cadillac is programming the gauges?
  • Options
    redgtconvredgtconv Member Posts: 46
    I was told by a local Cadillac dealer that GM will not even accept orders for a 1SA with PDX sports package until at least mid August. Does anyone know the details?
  • Options
    I contacted a Cadillac dealer today about an '04 CTS, and to my surprise they want list price. Are they crazy or am I? I am a former car dealer and I am used to getting cars at big discounts, especially american cars. Has anyone else here shopped the '04 model and what kind of discount were you able to get?
  • Options
    richw5richw5 Member Posts: 152
    is just a quirk from growing up in the '50's.
    If you're going on a trip, change the oil.

Today I have the oil changed if the monitor indicates 20% or less oil life, before a road trip. I've had the tires rotated and balanced with each oil change (on either car). My dealer has been really good about checking wheels, tires, brakes and all the fluid levels while changing the oil.

I attended a Cadillac sponsored golf clinic on Monday. They promised to let us drive some "exciting breakthrough vehicles." Unfortunately, they only had '03 models available. Still I got to drive a base model CTS and a Sport Lux, both with the new "temp gauge" and white gauge lighting. I was really impressed, the base model was slightly softer riding than our Sport Lux, but handled very well.

The Cadillac representatives said that the SRX will be joining the golf clinic in the next city on the schedule. Darn, that's what I wanted to drive. Still, the CTS was the center piece of their presentation and got the most attention from the golfers.

Rich
  • Options
    In the 50's the oil change interval was recommended at 1000 miles I think. Perhaps even early 60's. If you are down to 20% or less, then you have at most about 2000 miles left. So a long trip would need an oil change before you get back.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    On hold per GM:

PDX & 1SA & 1SB - PDX Sport Package
    Availability = n/a

- Ray
    Who test drove a PDX 1SC . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Here is my post from July 7, 2003.

#3819 of 3995 Holds & Delays by b4z Jul 07, 2003 (1:53 pm)
    PDX Sport package on hold right now.

Click on "Cadillac" icon.
    Then to Holds & Delays.

http://www.us.leaseplan.com/fleet_resources/fr_pnews.htm
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Another good site:
    http://www.wheels.com

Go to assembly lines thread
  • Options
    necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    Is anyone interested in some pics of the Cien? If so, I'll post 'em. Also, I think I have a pic of the XLR in red...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    necros, just a word of caution - don't use the img src tags to display pictures from copyrighted sites (except for Edmunds). You can post links to pics on other sites, though, if you'd like.
  • Options
    necrosnecros Member Posts: 127
    Yeah, I was going to host them on my site. Not to worry. Also, I would hold the copyright to the photos, since I took them last night. ;)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Options
    04ctsv04ctsv Member Posts: 13
    I went to a downtown caddy dealer in houston to see if I could order the CTSV, they told me it won't be delivered till March 04!!, has anyone else heard simular?
  • Options
    Stopped by the dealer last night after they were closed to see if they had any 04 CTSs and I did not see any. They had about 6 03s on the lot. I did notice a couple of them had the new instrument cluster with the temp gauge. I may go by tomorrow and talk with them about doing a 24 hour test drive as I think that is ending soon.
  • Options
    golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I have not posted here since I took delivery of my 2003 Blue Onyx CTS, automatic, luxury package, bose system, heated seats and bright wheels. My CTS is two months old with 5500 miles. Love the chiselled look and the way this car handles. The automatic transmission is superb. The CTS is truly fun to drive. I feel the 3.2 V6 is adequate, but the 2004's 3.6 V6 is a welcome change. Seems like you can never have enough ponies under the hood. The only gripes I have are:
    1) I feel the steering is a tad too heavy.

2) Would like slightly more padding in the front seats. Seats begin to feel hard on a long trip. Maybe I just need more fat on my butt cheeks.

3) The lamp that surrounds my license plate is beginning to leak. Will probably have replaced. I know there have been comments posted here concerning the same problem.

4) Distant radio reception seems to be poor compared to other cars that I have owned. In other words radio stations (especially am) that are not local have poor reception. I also get a popping sound when tapping my brake pedal while listening to these same stations, this only happens while listening to distant stations.

5) On sharp curves and large bumps my key fob bangs against the steering wheel column. I believe my Dads Buick Park Ave has a rubber pad around ignition switch to prevent this from happening. GM must not always test under real driving conditions.

6) With the engine running and at a complete stop I can feel the engine idle. This feel to me is not one of refinement.

I hate to gripe, but there ain't no perfect car. If I had it to do over, I would still buy this car. I hope the CTS sales well for Cadillac. When I bought my CTS in May there were seven 2003's on the lot of my local dealer. The other six are still on the lot as of this writing, not a good sign.
  • Options
    Lesson to be learned - Never buy a first year model car! I drove the '04 and the new engine and transmission are great. When the car idles you definitely don't hear or feel the engine. The steering is speed sensitive, I thought the steeting wheel felt very good. The seats are the same. This is good if you are used to driving a european car where the seats are firm. Almost every review I have read has complimented the comfort of the seats. If you are used to the typical cushy american seats then these will feel too firm. The car I drove had the standard radio, and I did think that this radio was not nearly as good as the standard radio in my 2001 Aurora. They should give you a better radio without having to spend an extra $1000- for the Bose.
  • Options
    sevenfeet0sevenfeet0 Member Posts: 486
    Nice to see your comments.....just a few replies from an 18K miles owner

1. I personally like the heavy feel. I think it keeps me in touch with the road a little more. But this is a subjective feeling.

2. I'm a large guy and I think the seats are pretty cool. It does need lumbar support, which didn't come until 2004. Pmdriver and his group listened to customer input by adding this.

3. The rear license plate leak is a common one. When was your car manufactured?

4. Did you set your radio up for distant reception bias? This is a configurable preference in the radio's settings.

5. I agree with you on this one. I solved this by using a heavy keychain which causes the keyfob to move around less.

6. The 54 degree V-6 will never have the smoothness of a 60 degree V-6 by design. The new V-6 in the 2004's doesn't have this problem I'm told. Having said that, the 220 HP V-6 in your car is still a pretty good engine and I've been generally happy by it's willingness to give what power it has.

Are you sure that your dealer hadn't moved his inventory of CTS's in 2 months? The CTS is one of Cadillac's hottest selling models, and this would be very atypical of the other dealers around the country.
  • Options
    My test drive in a '03 bore out your comments on the steering. It is heavy. And I think it is artificially heavy.
    Much heavier than the steering in my IROC.
    Enough so that it drew attention to itself. Which is not a good thing.
    Can't see how a 75 year old traditional Cadillac buyer would put up with it.

The '04 I drove has steering that is lighter.
    Too light in my opinion.
    I would guess that the '04 w Sport package has the same steering as the '03.
  • Options
    I don't think that your typical 75 year old Cadillac buyer is going to be looking at a CTS anyway. He'll likely head for a base model Deville, complete with column mounted shift lever and digital speedo:) Maybe even dress it up with a padded top and some whitewall tires.

golfnut5, one thing overlooked on the CTS was the location of the ignition switch. On my Intrigue(and many other GM cars) the ignition switch is on the dash, just where MB and Lexus put theirs. Very easy to see and reach and I have little problem with the keyfod rattling against the dash. As for the engine vibration at idle, I think that has been resolved via the new 3.6 liter V6. I've pretty much decided that I will be waiting for the 04 as I want the new engine.
  • Options
    You made a great point about the ignition switch. I have an '01 Aurora and it also has the ignition switch on the dash, and I was surprised to see that Cadillac still puts it on the steering column. This doesn't sound like a big thing, but it is much more connvenient, easier access and I think classier looking.
  • Options
    The manufacture date on my CTS is Oct. 2002. That probably explains why I have the leak problem around my license plate lamp. According to remarks on this board, manufacture dates in 2003 don't seem to have the problem. I bought my CTS in May 2003, it must have been sitting for awhile. As for my radio reception problem, I do have the radio set-up for distant reception. The reception is not terrible, I just feel it should be stronger when listening to distant stations.

I was out today for a drive on a country road with the bose cranked, what a blast!
  • Options
    Good point about the engine in my 2003, it does give you everything it has when called upon.
  • Options
    Do you all think I would loose my shirt if I traded my 2003 CTS in for a 2004?
  • Options
    Sell it private party or ebay and you should be fine.
  • Options
    Yeah, 220 hp is not that bad.
    I think the CTS has an accelerator that requires you to push it down more because the power is delivered in a linear fashion.
    Most American cars provide most of their power in the first few inches of travel. Makes the car seem more powerful.
    The 2003 I drove wasn't slow at all.
    The 2004 is just noticealby faster, especially off the line.
  • Options
    j1205j1205 Member Posts: 9
    Golfnut5 posted about a popping noise in the radio when tapping the brakes. My base radio whines badly on some FM stations and also has poor reception / white noise on some AM stations when I put on the brakes. The AM interference happens when near power lines. I've already had the car at the dealership once for the radio. Before I go again, has anyone else had similar problems?
  • Options
    johnnycskjohnnycsk Member Posts: 29
    Just curious as to the average age of CTS owners. I think the car is HOT!!!! at 27 years old. Demographically speaking I was wondering if Cadillac's campaign to win over the younger crowd is working. It sure has with me!!! To bad I have to wait till December to get into one :(
  • Options
    I'm 28 and while I don't have a CTS just yet, it is at the top of the "next new car" list. I'm probably not the norm as I've always liked Cadillacs(heck I'd take an STS or DTS if I could afford one) but the CTS seems to have struck a chord with other people my age. And trust me, they are more than aware of the 400 hp CTS-V that is coming so I do think Cadillac is on to something with this car. My guess is the average CTS customer age is in the 40s or low 50s. You'll never see it as low as our ages as many people my age simply cannot afford a car like this. Still upper 40s and low 50s is alot better than the 60+ that was the typical Cadillac buyer before the CTS(and the Escalade). I also think the SRX will really help to lower the age of Cadillac customers.
  • Options
    I am planning on getting an '04 CTS later this year, however, after seeing the pictures at the link below, I am having second thoughts. These are pictures of a CTS after a rollover accident. What scares me the most is that all 3 pillars ( A,B & C) on the drivers side collapsed. There is no way a driver and rear passenger lived through this. I really want to buy an american car, and the CTS is the one I like the best, but I've seen rollover tests on the Audi, VW, Volvo & Mercedes and the roofs do not collapse at all. I had looked into the government crash tests and the CTS received 4 stars out of a possible 5 for frontal and side crash ( and that's with side curtain airbags). The insurance industry rated it good, not excellent like it's peers, just good. Personally I don't know why GM can't seem to build a 5 star car, my current Aurora was also rated 4 stars. There are other factors that I use to decide if a car is safe, such as accident avoidance. I think the excellent handling and brakes of the Cts will go along way in avoiding an accident. However, with all of those monster SUV's being driven by people on their cellphones or putting on their make-up, I'm afraid your chances may not be so good. What do you guys think? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2424259609
  • Options
    automoleautomole Member Posts: 154
    redgtconv,
    Although the link you posted didn't work (for whatever reason) I was able to go to ebaymotors and find a picture of the rollover CTS. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't look THAT bad??? It appears the driver and probably all of the passengers most likely survived that accident. I don't mean to be morbid but I didn't see tons of blood splattered about the cars light tan interior...maybe they did a good job of cleaning it up?? My guess is the driver and/or passengers ducked down (as my first reaction would be during a rollover) and they only had minor injuries.

You have to put things in perspective...to address johnnycsk's post about CTS owners age; I'm 36. That means I've been driving for about 20 years without a rollover...hopefully I will NEVER experience one. The odds that you won't either are probably pretty good. Also, if you look at how the government crash tests are conducted they are only an INDICATION of how a car would hold up in a real-world crash...there are many variables that can affect your chances of surviving a crash.

If your only concern is safety my advice would be to buy a monster SUV and get rid of that "redGTconv"!

Oh, and stop trying to talk yourself out of buying the CTS...you KNOW you want one...resistance is futile!
  • Options
    Actually there are quite a few running around my town woth drivers that are in their 70s.
  • Options
    Try this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- - =2424259609&category=43903

That car may be rebuildable but it will never be the same.
    Notice that the left rear suspension is damaged.
    This car probably slid into a curb at speed, jumped up into the airand came down with the full force of the car's weight onto the side corner of the roof.

No roof could survive that.
  • Options
    rstephrsteph Member Posts: 109
    My job (unfortunately) has allowed me, over the years, to see dozens of rollover accidents. I agree with b4z. I wouldn't classify the damage seen here as just an average (freeway type) rollover. That car hit something (curb would be my guess too) hard in a sideways slide, flipped, and came down hard on it's top. And, I'd suspect, it was going a lot faster than it should have been. Most passenger cars these days (excluding SUV's and so on) are hard to roll unless there are extenuating circumstances (speed, hit something, so on...). The CTS still has acceptable crash ratings IMO. Anyway, this might be a good parts car (at the right price) but I certainly wouldn't go the "rebuild" option either. It looks too far beyond just "cosmetic" damage to me.
  • Options
    eaton53eaton53 Member Posts: 356
    Ther's a saying:
    You can sell a young man's car to an old man, but you can't sell an old man's car to a young man.

The CTS fits the first half of the saying.
  • Options
    jemillerjemiller Member Posts: 183
    That looks like survivable space, the car looks like it did what it was supposed to. 'Easy rebuilder'? Yeah, my *ss.

As for SUVs and safety: there's much bigger and heavier stuff on the road to worry about than SUVs, even a Freightliner FL60 delivery truck who's late for his last drop of the day will easily trash a Suburban.

Fascinating to note IIRC that the single-vehicle fatality rates for SUVs just about make up for any advantages they may have in collisions with cars. Trucklets have their uses, but I have no interest in one as a daily-driver.
  • Options
    batmansctsbatmanscts Member Posts: 63
    Engine/HP: As others have noted, the 220HP is powerful enough to satisfy many of us. I'd love to have the 400HP (even if for only bragging rights), but I rarely drive anywhere that would allow me to use and appreciate that much power. (Doesn't mean I'm not gonna trade for a 400HP when one of my buddies gets one and starts ragging on my my little 220HP engine.)

Average Age: As a 60-something driver, I'm probably gonna raise the average age of CTS owners. However, when I strap on my CTS, it feels to me that it lowers my age substantially.

Rollovers: I've been upside down once in an F15 jet fighter and twice in a Ford Explorer. It was fun in the F15, but it was far more exciting in the Explorer (if you consider terrifying a subset of exciting). The Explorer rolled after sliding sideways on black ice at a speed of under 45mph. As soon as the left front tire hit the grass on the shoulder, it flipped and rolled twice in a deep gully. (Hang on, I'm gonna try to make this relevant to the CTS discussion.)
        The Explorer held up very well after rolling twice. My wife and I survived with injuries primarily limited to being banged around inside the vehicle. However, I can't imagine any normal sedan or coupe rolling in a similar situation.
        Last Monday, I put my 03 CTS through much more violent maneuvers when a lady on a cell phone decided to change lanes without checking to see if there was anyone in the same county with her. I had to jerk the CTS hard one direction to miss her and then had to immediately jerk it back the other direction to return to the highway. The car and the stabiltrak handled exactly as advertised.
         My point is that the CTS should help drivers avoid rollovers. Anyone can either cause a vehicle to roll or find yourself in a situation where you might roll one unexpectedly. Based on my personal experience, I'd prefer to take my chances in a vehicle that is less likely to roll.

Misc: The air conditioner condensor on my CTS went out at 3,500 miles. Anyone else have air conditioner problems? Dealer is going to fix it on Monday, but we had to wait several days for the part to become available.
        Been driving an STS loaner while the dealer has my CTS. That experience has reminded me that while the STS is "nice" to drive, the CTS is "fun" to drive. IMO, that's a big difference.
    Cheers!
  • Options
    calicadicalicadi Member Posts: 87
    FWIW these are quotes from the Caddy GenMgr Marc LaNeve in an article that appeared in the Alameda Journal of Friday July 18, 2003, from the Michelle Krebs column:

"We're incredibly strong in the 55 and older category, and we're becoming incredibly attractive to the under 30 crowd. It's the boomers in the middle that we have to regain our footing with"...

"Once we gain credibility in the segments we're now in, we need to set the bar high with ultra-luxury models -possibly with V12 power- priced from $76,000 for the XLR to $400,000 for the ultra-luxury sedans, roadsters, supercars and convertibles."

From Krebs, "Unlike its European competition, Cadillac will not add a low-priced smaller car to its line. Instead, it will leave that territory to Saab and other GM brands. The CTS will remain Cadillac's entry model."

And finally again from LaNeve, "In five years, we'll have brought out the next generation CTS. Customers will be moving seemlessly from a Mercedes or Lexus to a Cadillac."

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Can Cadillac take back market share from European and Japanese marques on the up-scale side while not pricing themselves out of the range of younger buyers? What mix of models and prices will attract the most Baby Boomers? Say what you want about marketing people having only 23 chromosomes and fused frontal lobes, they have a tough job ahead.
  • Options
    I am 44, other CTS drivers that I have seen on the road appear to be anywhere from 35 to 70. Seems to be a wide range. Had a cutting edge Cadillac design been available ten years ago I would have bought it. Most GM cars as well as Ford look outdated.
  • Options
    johnnycskjohnnycsk Member Posts: 29
    I guess it all depends where you live. In New York City, the majority of my friends that are my age drive around in BMW's and Benz's. So in terms of affordibility, the can definitely afford it. When I mention the CTS they all say its an old persons car and laugh. In my area I have only seen a handful of CTS's, most of them driven by the 50 and over crowd with the exception of one girl in here late twenties. Maybe its her dads.

Anyway, as a side note. When I see the car on the road, I always ask the person that I am with their opinion on the car. Seems to me that woman seem to like the car more than men. Its probably just a New York thing. New Yorkers can be weird. Regardless, I'm still gonna get it!!!