Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• frankefranke Posts: 3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just ordered a 2006 Pacifica Base fleet car. I plan to buy it after the lease which is 3 years down the road. I know I can add on Fog Lights, Roof Rack and Park Sense with no problems. Can EVIC, Dual Zone Automatic Temp. Control and Trip Computer be added on later? What other things could be added on that I might find useful?
  • rodutrodut Posts: 343
    Man ... Renault 12 ... first car I ever drove. That's history. On one of the first trips, as a teenager, the brake pedal went to the floor ! It was no liquid left in the brake system !!! I pulled the hand brake ... nothing !!! Because the hand brake cable was rusty anyway, and also the brake liquid had leaked in the rear drum and acted like oil reducing to zero the efficiency of the brake drum !!! No brakes at all !!! I put the damn car in the 2nd gear (manual transmission) and shut off the engine. Fortunately I didn't hit anybody.

Manual gear box died at about 70,000 miles, at the same time the engine was both leaking and eating oil (half of a gallon per 700 miles) ... ball joints with huge play even if replaced about every 2 years ... man ... nightmare car ...

I had stopped replacing the oil on that car because during the 3000 miles I was actually pouring into the engine about two times its oil capacity. Why replace the oil ? It was clean all the time !

Actually I think that the rear wheels were always disconnected from the brake system ! That devil's "brake limiter" was always completely out of adjustment, and I remember once driving at 10Km/h on ICE, opening the door, looking at the rear wheel and hitting hard the brake pedal. It continued to spin !!! On ice !

And these guys complain about Pacifica ...
  • pac1pac1 Posts: 7
    steelydan0613,

Thank you for the info. Do you recommend changing the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months? The reason I ask is because I don't drive 3000 miles in 3 months as my work commute is just a mile away. For me, it will take about 5 - 6 months for 3000 miles. What do you recommend? Thanks.
  • pac1,

I would use a really good oil (I use Mobil One synthetic) and just stick to the 3000 mile schedule, but I would not go over 6 months no matter what.

Hey, with a one mile commute, maybe a bicycle would be a good idea!

Take care pac1.
  • rsharprsharp Posts: 103
    I noticed in our local paper that there were 5 used PACs for sale last weekend. Mostly 04 but a couple of 05 models. Now our city is not that large (around 70,000) so for that many PACs to be for sale would be cause for concern. Why are so many PACs less than 2 years old for sale, many of them not from DC dealers lots but from the "mom & pop" lots. That says to me that people are getting rid of these PACs as fast as they can, even if they take a bath on the trade in, and the dealers are unloading them at the auto auctions and not putting them on the dealership used lots because the PACs have so many problems.

A dealership manager for one of the multi-brand, multi-city dealers had been transferred to the Chrysler dealer for about a year. He recently came back to the city and my cousin and he are friends and the cousin was considering getting a PAC. So he asked the manager/friend about the PAC and his advice: Stay away.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Posts: 657
    Hope you are happy with your Honda Pilot. Used Pacificas are available because they are used in rental fleets, where Honda Pilots are not. Used car dealers frequent the auto auctions where most rental units end up. They purchase vehicles which they feel are saleable at a fair profit.
  • turbanskiturbanski Posts: 85
    Could not have explained it any better myself. Well done.
  • nuruc7nuruc7 Posts: 98
    Did the individual say why? I have 30k miles and mine and that is through all types of driving and no issues beyond the clicking sound that was taken care of within the first two weeks and the mpg slight drop over the past two weeks, which i will have my dealer look at next week?
  • peebopeebo Posts: 4
    Like some people posted before, you basically take the luck of the draw when buying a new car (unfortunately), kind of wonder why car manufacturers can't make the same car twice! I have an 05 pac with no problems, but then again I only have had it for about a month, so let's see if this one escapes with no major problems.
  • djagdjag Posts: 39
    I have a loaded limited 4 wd. I have had them all including BMW, Benz, Infinity, Caddy, Jaguar, Lincoln, Toyota, etc. This is one amazing vehicle. It is really quieter than the 530 or S Model I currently have. It is unique and well designed and fun to drive. My wife loves it. We almost went for an Aviator but then we tried the PAC. She was sold. By the way the Caddy wagon is really junky and noisy. I was shocked it was so bad. The Lincoln salesman said, "you know the Aviator will be all new next year and it will be a neat crossover like the Pacifica." That is when we went to look and that was it. Quiet, Sirius is terrific, Bluetooth great, navigation system outstanding and the best I have used, seats great, terrific stereo, fit and finish almost to BMW standards. This is the design all sport utes will emulate in the future. A unibody design with quality fit and finish. So we are enjoying a really new vehicle design that is fun to drive. Oh my grandkids love the DVD system.
  • beliasbelias Posts: 316
    Does anybody have any info on what may be added to the 06 Pacifica? I've seen some rumors that a 4.0L V6 making 280/300 horsepower is in the works. I had the pleasure of driving this vehicle as a rental on one of my trips and my wife was with me the last weekend. She really liked it inside and out. I did too and was surprised that this in fact was a Chrysler. The inside was done very nicely and the seats were comfortable especially since I'm 6'4". It drives very easily though steering doesn't get much feedback, but that is not a big problem. The only thing I wanted that wasn't immediately available was a more powerful engine. It can go when you push it hard, but it is pretty slow off the line. No Hemi option, but certainly at least a better/stronger engine would help immensely. I've also heard that the new 4.0L V6 may be mated with a 6-speed close-gear automatic. I can only imagine that this combination would provide better power and perhaps even better mileage with the extra gear. I'm not sure, but, I would love to pick up an 06 if that was the case. I really like the way the vehicle drives. It is solid and sure-footed. It may not be as nimble as an X3, but it has a nice wide-stance and a very quiet cabin. I hope Chrysler continues to improve the quality of their cars...
    A 6 speed tranny would greatly improve performance on the current engine. I have a 6 speed in my S Jag and it is flawless and keeps the engine a peak performance. The ideal answer would be the Hemi but i read here it wont fit into the engine compartment. I have no problems with engine unless off the line really pushing it which i seldom need to do. The PAC is much superior to the X3 which is not a crossover but a BMW mini sportute. They are outrageously expensive and very small inside.
  • bapriebebapriebe Posts: 25
    A 6-speed tranny would sure be nice. But I question the HEMI. Gas mileage is bad enough already without putting that monster under the hood. (I smile every time my cousin complains about the mileage in his RAM 2500 even with a 5-speed automatic.)

Daimler showed a Vision R at the 2004 Paris Motor Show and it apparently had a diesel V6 in it putting out 375-ish lb-ft of torque with ~8% better highway mileage than the Pacifica currently gets. This seems like a practical alternative. But ideally the PAC needs about a 20% boost in gas mileage or more to make it palatable. An even smaller diesel with an electric hybrid boost might be the ticket.
  • dcdchaudcdchau Posts: 41
    Just looking at the picture of the new 2006 Mercedes-Benz R-CLASS... Does it look like a Pacifica with a different spin? Does anybody know if there is any review on this new R-CLASS model? Or any comparison to the Pacifica and other crossover?
  • nuruc7nuruc7 Posts: 98
    I have heard that the major change will be that they are no longer offering the 7/70 powertrain warranty. You will have to purchase it. I had that but I bought the 8/80 bumper to bumper warranty for $1100, and full coverage tire and wheel insurance for $200
    It is PAC from the windshield back. lt is longer and narrower but the suspension and drive train appear to be similar if not identical. It of course has the V8 and a big AMG coming. All models are 4 w drive. Make the PAC look like an even bigger bargain.
  • I've been reading some reviews of the 2004 Pacifica online. Some say they have a compass and I've not yet seen one (but there are so many options I haven't figured out yet..). Is this true -- I bought the car used --?
  • rasldaslrasldasl Posts: 74
    It's part of the EVIC system (Electronic Vehicle Infomation Center or something like that). Basically it's the display on the lower left of the intrument panel. It shows doors open, etc., but you can put it in compass mode with the "step" button to the left of the clock. There are also readouts for fuel economy, miles to service, etc. If the car is in park you can adjust some settings for things like how long to leave the auto headlights on after you turn off the car. Of course, it depends on what options you have. I think the EVIC itself is no longer standard in all models.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    The EVIC has never been standard on all PAC models. I have a base model 2004, and it does not have it.
  • I have been carrying 2 kayaks and at times also 2 bikes on the Thule rack installed on the rails without additional tie downs and I must admit the rails flex abit much at times but so far so good. I do go on highways at 70 plus and backroads which are really testy. Hope for the best.....
  • In case anyone is interested, I have an 05 Pacifica Touring AWD with 4,000 miles. Just had my 5 star activate the daytime running lights (DRL). The cost was $35.00 (labor time). In operation the inboard lights (high beams) are on at about 50% of full brightness.
    What is a "5 star"? Is that a dealer?
  • Yes it is a dealer.
    The door switch could be defective, and make contact by itself ??? Just a guess ...

That's why I love so much my 1988 Volvo. No computers ! No "modules" ! Nothing to break ! It just keeps driving forever ... 17 years and counting ... tomorrow I drive it again !!!

By the way, new Volvos are full of electronic garbage. I guess they have the most of it, that's why they are at the bottom of the reliability list.

I chose the Pacifica because it was the only one available without the biggest electronic danger of all times, named "Stability Control". Imagine when instead of stupidly deciding to move your chair, a sick computer will stupidly decide to suddenly brake your front left wheel, and steer you into the incoming truck, in a fraction of a second ! That will happen to somebody. It's just a question of time. Those wires and "modules" need time to rust, crack and malfunction. The Firestone scandal was piece of cake in comparison with the future "Stability Control" scandal. I wonder who will be the manufacturer who will pay the legal bills ...
    It can get a lot worse than your chair moving by itself. For years I was predicting that the "safety" VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) systems will actually kill people when malfunctioning. I am a Test electrical engineer. Fortunately Pacifica is not VSC equipped. It's one of the reasons why I bought it.

But the famous "reliability queen" Toyota Sienna is VSC equipped.

Go in the
    "Toyota Sienna Owners: Problems & Solutions (2004+)"
    and read the post
    #1295 of 1745 vsc problem by arosati Feb 16, 2005 (10:27 am)

I wonder when manufacturers will understand that giving electronics the right to brake, steer, cut engine power, move chairs etc etc could become deadly for us and an immense liability for them ???
    ################################################
    I paste the Toyota Sienna post here:

I have a 2004 sienna and I'd like to know if anyone has seen a problem similar to this. While driving approx 40mph on a straight and dry road the trac and vsc light went on. this was immediately followed by a rapid beeper going off in the dash. What followed next was dangerous - the steering wheel pulled sharply to the left( i believe the front left brake was being applied) the accelerator was disabled.(no physical damage to people or property) After the car slowed to 5mph the lights and beeping and braking all stopped - when you speed up to 5mph it all happens again. - sounds like fun? The car was nice enough to repeat this event to the toyota service manager. They found a toyota tsb telling of a 'steering angle sensor' problem that when occurs continually activates the vsc.
    The car thinks its skidding through a sharp turn and is correcting - when its actually going straight. This tsb only affects 'early model year' siennas and sequoias -- These cars share some of the same vsc parts. They claim the steering sensor has been re engineered to return an error code that would disable the system when the part malfunctions rather than the incorrect steering angle. - There were no fault codes gathered in the onboard computer. The service manager also mentioned (unofficially) that the only way he knew of to the disable the vsc (not traction control) was to pull and short the wires going to the brake fluid sensor - the vsc turns itself off when you are low on brake fluid. The car is still at the dealer Id like to have any feedback before I have to pick it up tomorrow. thanks
    axr6 when it's your Pacifica manufactured ? It's written on the inside of the driver's door.
    Also it's a FWD or an AWD ?

I would say yours is made after September 28, 2004, but I could be wrong. It's because probably your lower control arms were OK. I have the clunking sound too and I am trying to get clues about it. My dealer replaced the sway bar links, but the clunk is still there.
  • Have your dealer check the front sway bar bushings. I have a 03 Caravan which was clunking on going up or down the driveway or if I hit a chuckhole, they replaced the bushings (2) and the noise has disappeared.Under Warranty.
  • axr6axr6 Posts: 42
    My 05 was manufactured during 05/2004. I suspect that it is some transmission or drive-shaft noise resulting from too wide manufacturing tolerances. It regularly occurs when the car shifts gears and more so when I use the auto stick a lot.
    axr6,
    This is what scares me, and that's why I don't have the courage to go back to the dealership. Why in the world they replaced your lower control arms if obviously your clunking is transmission related ?!? Obviously it didn't fix the noise !!!

It's interesting I got a call from the cute customer service lady. She says I am due for maintenance. Well ... I need to drink something to get some courage ... if I have a suspension noise perhaps they will replace my transmission ? Just kidding.
    Perhaps next year ...