Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• jimhemijimhemi Posts: 223
    JOHN DODGE
    Just as an FYI, the Charger could have been worked to look more old then what the currant team came up with. With C.A.D these guys did a pretty good job in my opinion. Please read and pass along to your buddies at headquarters.
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodge/

Just make sure you don't screw up the 2009 Challenger. Use the Firepower as your platform and offer it for a reasonable 29,500 and up depending on options, of course with the HEMI for this price. :shades:
    Never going to happen. NASCAR Banned the HEMI in its glory days which forced the pull out of factory supported teams in the late 60's(Eventually returning, only to pull out in the late 70's and not returning until 2001). They sure wouldn't allow a race version HEMI in a Cup car now. If they have 800hp motors now with non-Hemi heads, can you imagine what a Race preped Hemi from Evernham Motorsports could turn out? :D
  • eagle41eagle41 Posts: 54
    I may test drive an RT today. I already have the financing set up(4.75 % 5 yr) I 'll see what they have to offer. When you price out the charger a $500. rebate comes up. Does anyone know if it does indeed exist and how it would work? Meaning do you get a check from Dodge or do they just reduce the price of the car? I only will take the car if they are willing to reduce the sticker price.And I don't mean by $ 500.
    Thanks for any input !!

It seems that by checking the inventory around here in central Fl that there are plenty to chose from.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Posts: 186
    " I only will take the car if they are willing to reduce the sticker price.And I don't mean by $ 500. "

I wouldn't expect them to drop it by much with Charger's in short supply. Most dealers around here have either no Charger's or two at the most on their lots and they don't stay around very long. The Charger is just too new to expect deep discounts until supply overtakes the demand. The same thing happened when the PT cruiser was first released.

Good Luck...! :D
    Thanks!
    I'm getting ready to call the sales guy up to see if I can come over.I'd rather have a charger(had 69 charger once ) but have deal on the table for a Mustang Gt.It's about 4k cheaper.That's why I need the dealer to negotiate some.. Maybe $1200 -1500 off. That's why I asked about the rebate. Does that have any effect on what the dealer takes off?

Thanks Again!!
    They'll use the rebate to get the price down. Keep it in your back pocket, don't let them know you know until you're getting closer to a deal. You should be able to get 1,000 off of sticker and they can swing another $500 from the rebate.
    Thanks for the quick response!! The guy luckily hasn't called me back yet.
    If I can get off the $1500. I'd do the deal.
    Salesmen just called me back. I told him that there is a 4k diff between the charger and the stang. He needs to close the gap or I go across the street and finanlize the deal on the GT. The charger does suit my needs better. The price doesn't!!
    After hours of negotiating , I'm ( bank is) the proud owner of a silver RT.
    The salesman had my head snappnig back on his portion of the test drive.
    The car rides nicely and the power is there if you want to play. I was surprised how big the car is. I had a jeep and now this thing is a tight fit in my garage.
    I got a desent deal considering how new the car is. Gainesville dodge is a well run operation.
    The ride is a lot smoother than my 69 Charger was.. Then again ,I'm quite a bit older.
    Congrats eagle41.... :D So how hard was "the fight"? :shades: Did you get any black and blue marks? Enjoy your new ride!!!
  • heinzh2heinzh2 Posts: 49
    Congrats!!! I have to agree with you on the size of the Charger. Saw my first one driving around the streets of Marietta, GA and it really stood out at the traffic light. I have seen them on the lots ... but in company of the Dodge trucks & Magnums. So seeing this thing around everything else out there was impressive. Also seeing this car driven around town shows more of the attempt of the 2-door look. You can kind of see the look when it is sitting dead still on the lot, but if you were in traffic and it was in front making a turn up ahead ... that is when a double take is needed to make sure a 2-door wasn't all-of-sudden made. Good job Dodge for making the attempt in trying to please both sides of the fence .. for now.

Enjoy the ride Eagle ... keep us informed as to how the car does!
    Heinz
  • Congrats to you as well, Eagle41. Enjoy the ride, trust me you will. Try not to get into too much trouble, hehe. Good choice in a new car. :D
    Thanks for kind responses ! I was soooooooooo close to buying a Mustang GT. In
    the end having a REAL back seat,trunk, and a better ride was important. I can see me driving my clients around it this car and at the same time be able to kick ***!
    Take care
    Steve
  • acjoyalacjoyal Posts: 2
    I was asking about reliability because I'm a fan of Japanese cars but my husband likes American cars. I know that a Dodge would not stand up to a Toyota 10 years from now in terms of reliability & mechanical problems, but I'd like to get at least a good 8 years out of a Charger. We're planning to start a family in a few years, so that's also why I was asking how kid-friendly the Charger is. My husband is dead set on getting a Charger, but I just don't know if I'm comfortable in an American car. But it sure does look pretty!!!
  • gorbbegorbbe Posts: 1
    Japanese cars are not the most reliable cars in the world. Believe or not German auto manufacturers are like Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Mini, and you'll find alot more running older German cars then older Japanese
    I think the charger would work out well with children. But I think the long term reliability question is one that nobody can really answer right now. The Charger is a new design, so only time will tell how reliable the car will be. If you cover yourself with a good warranty to handle any major problems, then you should be good to go. But you have to factor in the added cost of the warranty as part of the total cost of ownership. Overall, Chrysler doesn't have a good track record for reliability, but that doesn't mean the Charger will be a problem child. Over the next six months to a year, we will have a better picture of how reliable the Charger will be. Buying first year production cars is always more risky. I'm in the same boat. I like the Charger, but given Chrysler's past history, I'm not sure I'm ready to put my money down just yet.
    That is true in that the German manufactures have the better track record in overall quality over the Japanese ones. Just remember when the Japanese cars first arrived here in the states ... talk about sorry cars! Even Hyundai has come a long way! So my take is that all the auto manufactures know that quality is a huge, if not the biggest, factor in building a car. I can't speak of Toyota's, but in my experiences with Honda's ... we have had our fair share of problems with them too ... more to speak of then our Pacifica! So did we buy a lemon with the Honda's we have had? Or is the whole quality thing a numbers situation where Chrysler builds so many more cars than honda ... 3,897,800 vs 1,394,398 with the Chrysler figure being passenger cars only! So of course there is more room for quality issues to come up because there are more cars. I have also read somewhere that with the merger of Mercedes, that a lot more focus is going to be placed on quality within the manufacturing processes of the plant that builds the 300's, Magnums and Chargers. Chrysler even delayed the release of the 300's back when just to over them twice to make sure everything was as close to perfect as they could get em.

But in my opinion ... I would go with what your heart desires, and not worry so much what is going to happen a decade from now. The smile on your husbands face will last longer in the car he desires over one that is just so so ... to him. By the way ... I believe the Charger has 3 car seat positions in the back ... or anchors in 3 positions ... FYI =) Lots of luck ... Heinz
  • aab4aab4 Posts: 39
    The statemen you made is incorrect.- " Japanese cars are not the most reliable cars in the world. Believe or not German auto manufacturers like Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, Bentley, Mini, and you'll find alot more running older German cars then older Japanese "

Actually that is incorrect.
    "German auto manufacturers like Volkswagen, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, may have been great quality 10 years ago, but not up to par with Lexus, Toyota."

Take the last 5 years of JD Powers. Germans are not in top people.
    They are not even better then Ford or GM. Lexus and Toyota are much better
    quality than the Germans.

Please lets give accurate info on these forums, not opinions based on feelings, just because you like German cars.

I wouldn't touch a Volkswagen even if you gave it to me!!!
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I can state that my Magnum is very kid friendly. It is very similar to the Charger except for the wagon rear end vs. the trunk on the Charger. I went for the Magnum for that extra cargo space, as we came out of a Town & Country van. My 7 and 11 year old boys love the Magnum. So do all of their friends, who always want to ride in it. Even at age 7, they know it has a HEMI !!!! The Charger looks sweet too, so your future kids will thank you for getting it rather than rolling around in another belly button car.
    Cool the jets there aab4! If you read the statement again that you were replying to ... gorbbe stated that you will find more older running German cars than you will Japanese cars ... and I tend to agree with that statement. Lets hope the Charger and siblings will be able to pull off the same thing. By the way ... 5 years is but a drop in the bucket time wise to me for a car ... we will see how the Japanese cars hold out come 10 or 15 years from now. Until then ... I will wait to be impressed. Oh, and I wouldn't touch a VW either ... unless it was their SUV!!!! :)
  • IMO, I wouldn't touch or even think about purchasing a Japanese or pure German car if you paid me. But that is just me. I have always bought American, and I always will. I have never had really any quality issues with any American car I have bought. To me, the Charger is the best vehicle I have ever driven, better than the Porches I have driven, and the Japanese cars my parents own.(Honda and Toyota)

When I bought the Charger, wife was skeptical if we could make the payments. We just leased a Grand Caravan SXT the month before. But after driving the Charger, she quickly fell in love with it and drives it to work most of the time. She forgot all about her skeptism. I drive a company vehicle to work, so that is why she gets to drive it. My sons love the car, my 12 year old gives it 2 thumbs up and said its an 11 out of 10. To him, a Viper is the only car that is better. I have had nothing but compliments and double takes when driving the car. I think my Charger will be a long time keeper. ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Thank you for getting us back to our subject. ;)

Folks, this is not the place to get into argu.., er discussions about Japanese and German vehicles quality. Let's stick to the Charger. Thanks.
    http://www.fastcoolcars.com/2006-charger.htm
    And yes, they are 4 doors built on the LX platform. It could have been done, must be "too outisde of the box" thinking for Dieter and the gang.
  • aab4aab4 Posts: 39
    I agree.

But remember, stating a person's opinion as facts, is not always relevant.
    Japanese cars, have been winning most of the quality awards, not German vehicles. That's a fact! So when I see a statement that is obviously wrong, I agree to disagree.

Not to cause arguments.

So as not to beat a dead horse here, Most of the Charger is MB anyway.
    Which could be good or bad depending on your point of view.
    I think it is a good combo of American and German partnering.

Charger RT looks like more fun than most Honda's or Toyotas, until the new Lexus IS comes out.

I will make a decision after driving the new IS, and the Mazdaspeed 6. Like to drive the SRT version when that comes out. Sure that will handle better than RT does right now.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 2,371
    ...at a car show last weekend. I was disappointed. Never liked the photos I had seen on the web but figured in the flesh would look better. It didn't. The car was dark blue with gray interior and it really had no "pop" to it at all. The hooded, blacked out headlights didn't help. But what really turned me off was the interior. The gray leather was blah, it was cold and unappealing looking, and most surprisingly, the dash and cabin seemed to be a sea of hard black plastic with a matte finish designed to make it look soft when it really wasn't. All it did was look cheap to me, sort of like the new Mustang interior. I know these cars are built to a price, but the interiors really disapponted.

2014 Cadillac ATS4 2.0T, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• tex10tex10 Posts: 27
    well it beets one them import jobs from japan. you know the things with the weed eater motors or sounds like one. There might be a new muscle car one block in 07 well it really old but you now what i mean the dodge challenger. The concept is in 06 and its a two door looks lot like a cuda l saw drawing of what may look like in 06. Its dodge answer to the Mustang.
    I just got back from taking my Rt for a spin on the highway (rt 75) in Gainesville. I was cruising over 80 at 2250 rpm . Smooth ride !! There are some similarities to my old (69) charger. The ride I know is far better on this one. Hey, for those complaining about the the interiior , remember that the orinial chargers inside was rather plain !!
    Hemi power is sweet !!
    I don't want to beat a dead horse either ... but keep in mind this is an opinion message board, and I would hope everyone will post their opinions here. Now to believe everything that is posted here, and not to follow up with your own research, could lead to what we call down here in GA as ... "ig-nance".

I agree with you 100% of what the combination of Chrysler/Mercedes have done, and that the cars look a lot more fun that the Japanese counterparts. I will be curious to see how the Charger stacks up to the new IS!!! FYI ... there was an article in AutoWeek.com that had an interview with the guy that helped create the new IS. He said that they had left out some, of what he thought, was some vital things on the IS ... about 1000 things! Interesting read ... doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy about the car. So I think the Charger will be the one in the long run ... :blush:
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    JohnDodge,

I was looking at the 5.7 Hemi Charger R/T this weekend and it had good points and bad points:

Good:
    very good acceleration, good mileage rating for the horsepower. Large trunk, good space inside.

Boston Accoutics excellent sound.

Good Pricing $2,000 under MSRP ( almost invoice)

Bad:

The interiror is pretty cheap feeling hard plastic, not on the level I would expect of a $30 car. Honda Accord , Toyota Camry and Toyota Avalon , much better executions. Make the interior better like the 300C

Air conditioning is not good enough for Texas summers. Front on max recirculate wouldn't get cold. Back seat was hot; not a lot of air flow out of the back vents and air coming out front and back was only mildy cold, not ice cold.

Navigation system is terrible! No touch screen! Only a single rotary dial ( not even multidirection) and comeo n white highlight on yellow letter; extremely hard to see.

Not clear how you get from manual shift back into auto drive; cart salesman didn't know, but then there wasn't much he did know.

No sunroof!

Car felt a little heavy and not nimble; but I guess that is reality.

=====
    All it all is was a good car, not a great car. But for 30K+ there is a lot of competition. Make xexons avaialble. Make 20 inch rims standard or at least a supported option.

Cheers,

MidCow
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    In Houston, they advertised in the Sunday paper ( 7/24/05) $2,000 off MSRP on Charger R/Ts.
This discussion has been closed.