Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    I could go for the Charger R/T if it only had a short throw 6-speed manual shift transmission.

Cruis'n in 6th :shades: ,

MidCow
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Posted too much before try "Gulgate Dodge"
  • frasierdogfrasierdog Posts: 128
    "Air conditioning is not good enough for Texas summers. Front on max recirculate wouldn't get cold. Back seat was hot; not a lot of air flow out of the back vents and air coming out front and back was only mildy cold, not ice cold."

Hmm, let me see what did I say about the A/C?

#417 of 539 Charger SXT Test Drive by frasierdog
    The day was 96 degrees and after a 20 minute test drive the car never cooled off and the air blowing was not that cool. (Yes, it was on MAX recirc)

Seems to be a pattern here.
  • gmctruckgmctruck Posts: 186
    Yep... I noticed the same thing on the one I test drove. I don't understand how DC could put out a car with such a lousy AC system these days. Could turn some buyers off if DC doesn't address and fix this issue fairly soon. I know there are some who say it's fine and don't care, but people who live in hot climates do care!
  • johndodgejohndodge Posts: 25
    Thanks for the link Jimhemi,

I have seen those pictures before. The engineering team that worked on the 2006 Dodge Charger wanted to go for something more modern, retro wasn’t what they were going for. They wanted to pay homage to the muscle cars of the 60’s without retro styling. I can’t comment of the 2009 Challenger as there has been no official word in regards to it at this point.

John B.
  • johndodgejohndodge Posts: 25
    Thanks for the great feedback Midnight Cowboy!

Not too many people are familiar with the subtle intricacies that make the 5-speed automatic with Autostick shine. To change back to the normal Drive gear you have to press and hold the selector lever in the “D +” direction. The transmission will shift from the current gear directly to gear “D”. I can’t say for certain whether or not you’ll find xenons and 20 inch rims as available options. You can find 20 inch rims for the 2006 Dodge Charger though. The SRT-8 vehicles come standard with 20 inch rims, so I would recommend talking to your local Dodge dealership about putting some 20’s on a new Charger. Well that’s all I got!

Thanks,

John B.
  • bee7bee7 Posts: 15
    Test drove the Charger RT, and it is great in a straight line.

I agree the quality of German cars, which includes the suspension and transmission, of the Charger, is not on par with the Japanese.

The interior of a Toyota Avalon, even a Ford Five Hundred is better than the Charger. Ford needs a Hemi though.

A loaded RT is in the mid 30's, so you are now approaching LEXUS IS, BMW 330 territory, although smaller than the Charger, much better handling, and execution.
    Much better quality materials.

The Avalon loaded is in same price range, Mid 30’s, and is much better quality than The Charger.

If you really want a lot of room, and the quality, and handling is not as important,
    and price is an issue, then Charger would be your cup of tea. With the Hemi, it is fun going from stop light to stop light, but throw it into a S curve, and the BMW runs circles around it.
    After the initial "shock and awe" wears off and there are more Chargers sitting on dealer lots, I think the Charger will have trouble competing in the $30k+ price range. Most people except for the diehard Mopar fans could care less about the Hemi engine. I think the Charger is a nice car, but I would never pay $30k+ for one. After all, it really is just another family sedan. Only time will tell if the Charger will survive in the marketplace.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I'm not a die hard Mopar fan. I would respectfully disagree with your assertion about not caring less about the Hemi. When I was checking out the 300C/Magnum RT models last year, that engine was the deal closer for me. The ability to have a 340 HP engine with the performance that comes with it in a family friendly sport wagon (that still gets 24 MPG on the highway) made the decision to purchase the Magnum a no-brainer for me. The utility, the performance, and the style for a bargain price makes all three Hemi models absolutely unmatched in the marketplace. I still love my GMC Envoy too, but it is for a totally different purpose (trailer towing & 4WD) than my Magnum.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Most people except for the diehard Mopar fans could care less about the Hemi engine."

Uh-huh, I suppose that explains why the Saltillo engine plant is running three shifts and why DC is investing another $70 million to boost production from 480,000 units per year to 520,000 by next year.

As I see things, one does not have to be a "diehard Mopar" fan to appreciate the power and efficiency of the modern Hemi. Correct me if I'm wrong, however, I don't think there is a single engine built anywhere in the world at any price that can yield the kind of specific power output of the Hemi AND return the fuel efficiency that the Hemi does when not being flogged.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I wouldn't buy a car just because it has a Hemi engine. I drove a Charger and it had decent power, but it wasn't spectacular. I think DC could have done more with the Charger had they used a more efficient exhaust system. I also believe the Charger is priced a bit too high to compete effectively in it's class.... Hemi or no Hemi. Don't get me wrong, the Charger is a nice set of wheels, but not for $30k+.
  • eagle41eagle41 Posts: 54
    I sort of see your point with the price of the charger. I specifically looked for a base Rt when I was buying. . I got about $1500 off the list and I'm pleased as punch !! :P
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,689
    Just curious, but what would you list as competitors that you think are better buys? Honestly, there's only one I can think of that I'd cross-shop against it, but its smaller and FWD. So, really, for its size and RWD, I'm having a hard time coming up with a strong competitor in my mind. Help me out here.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

"Just curious, but what would you list as competitors that you think are better buys?"

Well I wouldn't necessarily say they were better buys, but more like less expensive. The Charger is being targeted and marketed as a family sedan. In that class, I would expect it to be priced in the mid to upper 20's price range. The fact that it has a Hemi with RWD makes no difference to me as a consumer looking to buy a new family car. I am shopping based on interior design, comfort, and how well the car handles under open road travel conditions. Oh I forgot, how well the AC works too! :shades:
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,689
    Well, then you obviously aren't the target shopper for the V8 version. Since you don't care about the Hemi, then you are the person Dodge built the V6 version for. Starts at $22,995, so its right up your alley.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• Does anyone have any information about the Road/Track Performance Group option available on the Charger RT. I know that it offers the same suspension/engine/steering upgrade as the Daytona RT but without the wild colors /spoiler/decals. I would like to know how loud the free flow exhaust is and if the 10 horsepower increase is at all noticeable.
  • bee7bee7 Posts: 15
    Test drove one today. Did noticed the Road/Track Performance had slightly improved handling.

I am trying to compare this to a BMW 330i, and that of course is an unfair comparison. Even the New Lexus IS 350 won’t compare.

Couldn’t really tell the difference with the added 10 HP, and both the RT and the Road Track Do sound “sweet”.

But as you can surmise, I am really impressed with the whole package of the new 330i.

Waiting to test drive the Lexus, and Charger SRT before I make my final decision.
  • mm2097mm2097 Posts: 6
    Where were you able to test drive a Daytona R/T??? :shades:
  • I read where Dodge was getting back into the cop car business with the Magnum and also the Charger. Has anybody heard about the Charger cop car? If so, what kind of modifications has been done to it? I live in Alaska and the roads beat a car to death. The last car I owned, I was able to order a cop spec '95 Caprice and it held up very nice to the roads with the firmer suspension and it did have a higher top end then a normal Caprice or Impala,plus the other normal engine mods.
    Since the Charger looks cheap inside already, it reminded me of a cop car interior.
    So if anybody has heard the same thing about the Charger, give a shout! :)
  • xmf314xmf314 Posts: 154
    Here is a link to an article about the Charger police car. http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html
  • Bought a silver RT for $500 over invoice which amounts to about $2,000 off of list. There is also a $500 rebate.
    I had to order it because there are none to be found anywhere with the Protection Group option which includes side airbags. I may have the only one in the country!
  • heinzh2heinzh2 Posts: 49
    Hey mm ... it could have also been a Charger that had just the R/T package (AWT)on it, but not the Daytona option package (28V). Nice that Dodge was able to offer the separate packages.

By the way ... I watched a test drive of the Charger on Speed Channel yesterday evening! Looked fantastic!!! They had a red R/T and a Daytona racing around. The blacked out grill on the Daytona is my "cup of tea"! Both drivers went at it on the straightaways and you can see the "jump" that the Daytona version had in it's extra 10hp power over the RT version. They normally repeat the programs on that channel ...

Heinz
  • JohnDodge,

I am surprised to here about your AC problem. I have a Black Magnum RT in Houston and my AC is iceberg cold.
  • eagle41eagle41 Posts: 54
    I'm here in Gainesville Fl and the a/c in my Rt is fine.
  • tex10tex10 Posts: 27
    just be glad that you have a/c

Tex
  • hemigodhemigod Posts: 3
    My black Charger R/T makes icicles when I set it to 72 (goes as low as 66) and I'm in Chicago enjoying 98 degree days this Summer. No A/C issue at all.
  • mnunesmnunes Posts: 11
    Crockersmith,

Are you saying that you actually already have a Charger RT with Protection Group? Everything I've heard so far says they aren't building any until September. I've had one on order since mid-May and it's still on hold waiting to be scheduled.
  • I just placed an order for one this past week. Delivery is expected in 6-8 weeks. I called Dodge customer service and they said there was no problem with the Protection Group option and I should be able to get it. Where did you get your info about September? Why do you think it is delayed?
  • mnunesmnunes Posts: 11
    I know several people that have had their Chargers with Protection Group on order for several months. Up until just a week ago or so there was a delay on the airbags that held up all of these orders.

I placed my order in mid-May and I'm still waiting. So far, I've been told "not available for June," "not available for July," and "not available for August." This is the first time anyone has said that they actually DO expect to make them in a given month. I guess the good news is that there's a little more confirmation now that the option should be able to get built.

August's production schedule was written in early July. This week they'll be scheduling out all of the September builds. I think that anyone who gets scheduled for build in September will be able to know that by the end of this week.
  • mm2097mm2097 Posts: 6
    I saw the Charger in action at Daytona Internationl in February. Dodge had a mini track set up where they were running their SRT's. That's when I fell in love. I like the new Mustang until I saw this Charger run, now I have to have one. Skip Barber Driving School was there running them all, it was pretty awesome! I took an R/T for a ride and almost made the salesman sick. He was holding on for dear life. He was impressed with this girls driving!! :P
This discussion has been closed.