Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Charger 2006+

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Also, gsemike, I apologize to you if you thought my comments came off as full of myself. That said, the target market for this vehicle (as stated by Chrysler) is "trendsetting, young affluent males with incomes from $65,000 - $90,000. Customers looking for the thrilling ride and handling characteristics of a sports car, but with the added convenience of a functional, five passenger vehicle, will be able to experience the best of both with the 2006 Dodge Charger."

My thinking is that the youger males that Chrysler is targeting... dont have strong connotations of the Charger name in conjunction with the old cars.

~alpha
  • andyman73andyman73 Posts: 368
    Well, I'm only in the 50K+ income range, and this car floats my boat. May have to wait until year end clearance to get one on discount, but will still definitely give it a shot.
    Same with me, not quite that range yet, but really intrigued by this car.

~alpha
  • gsemikegsemike Long Island, NYPosts: 1,770
    Your assumption that Chrysler's description means "under 30" is flawed and the secondary assumption that everyone under 30 won't care about the heritage of the nameplate is flawed.

Really, who's more likely to hit that $65k to $90k range... males under 30 or 31 to 39? Probably 31 to 39 and we're more likely to hold the Charger name in esteem. I don't mind that it's a 4 door car. Some of the sportiest cars on the road are 4 doors but this car has lost most of it's Charger design cues that were present on the concept car. This is a Magnum sedan.

I'm also not that sure that Chrysler is on a roll. It's takes more than 1 hit (the 300) recycled multiple times (Magnum, Charger, Lord knows what else) to be on a roll. The Pacifica, Crossfire, and PT Convertible have not been flying out of showrooms and they still don't have a competitive product in the all important mid-size class.
  • While I agree that Dodge has resurrected an old nameplate and tacked it on to an LX platform vehicle that may offend MOPAR purists, it simply doesn't matter...this car will sell. Most buyers will recall the Charger name and not the details of the former muscle car. Frankly, I think DCX was brilliant in bringing out a "performance" version of the Chyrsler 300 at a slightly lower price point with revised body styling under the Dodge brand. It will appeal to a slightly younger audience than the 300 and will be a bit more affordable although I think the age and income band of buyers will be larger than DCX suspects.

This car will steal buyers from mostly the two other domestics (GM and Ford). Also, in a weird way, there is possibly a group of luxury import purchase intenders that will consider this as a purchase choice. This will be men in their late-40's to 50's who've had the luxury rides, don't like the styling of the new Bimmers or Lexus, and realize they have better things to do with their money than pay through the nose for import sedans which don't offer the power and feel of the Hemi.
  • Took a look at the Dodge web site and the New 2006 Charger. The styling did nothing for me. Looks too much like the Magnum and the Chrysler 300 which are too boxy and looks more like an 80's sedan than something to remember the muscle car era. Nothing like the charger show car and does not do the Charger name any justice. And what is the deal with the four box grill on every Dodge.. Every car starts looking like the RAM trucks....
  • Can anyone tell the Board about the cost ranges for the new Charger?

Thank you
    Dude I couldnt agree with you more, especially:

"While I agree that Dodge has resurrected an old nameplate and tacked it on to an LX platform vehicle that may offend MOPAR purists, it simply doesn't matter...this car will sell. Most buyers will recall the Charger name and not the details of the former muscle car"

~alpha
  • I have pretty much read every angle there is about "The 2006 Charger" and I have come to a few conclusions:

There is no doubt a group of hardocore Mopar/Chrysler Purists (myself included) that are dealing with this "new" Charger and what it means to the loyalists of the Chrysler/Mopar/DC brand. I have owned several Mopar Muscle Cars including a few Chargers, so I think I know where alot of the Mopar Faithful are coming from.

I couldn't agree more that the "Charger" name carries with it a legacy that made Chrysler Corp. famous for it's prescence on the muscle car scene back in the 60's and 70's. Through all the variations of the car, each variant of the Charger namesake has it's fans. You cannot deny that there are those who very much liked the 70's "plush Chargers" as well as those Turbo 2.2 Shelby Charger GLHS that Shelby himself produced. With that in mind, and knowing that those who embrace the original Chargers of '66-'74 are a strong and large number of fans as well, it's not hard to try and imagine that there will be those who will embrace this car and make it their "favorite" Charger.

I remain tossed up about using the Charger name on a four door sedan and that uncertainty comes from some of the styling elements on this new '06 model. While the basic idea of making the car look like a coupe is admirable and in fact the rear flanks appearing attractive, I have reservations about the front end styling, in particular, Dodge's famous signature "truck" grille. I have to say that even though the rake of the front end appears agressive and with even the headlights giving it strong character, I am troubled by Dodge's insistence on using this "truck style" grille as signture on all Dodge products. In the Charger's case, it seems to muddle the message a bit. Perhaps DC should consider modifying this styling element once and for all, and instead give the passenger cars, starting with the future refreshing of the Charger a few years down the road, with a new face for Dodge Cars.

All in all, I give DC credit for being brave in introducing this car as it stands and despite my concerns, I would consider one. I can understand that we are not in the 60's anymore, but it would be nice to have some additional touches to make this Charger something special from the other LX platforms. I think that is what most people are/were/still may be hoping for.

You have to give Ford credit for standing out there and making a very good retro 'stang and you also have to remeber DC, that while this Charger might be a sales hit and a sedan that Dodge Dealers really want to sell, you have to remember that there are some real strong loyalists out there to the MOPAR brand that have been waiting for DC to do at least "one" car for us to relish and recapture the spirit in performance, style and price that made us those hardcore loyalists that we still are today.

Might we see some variant of the LX platform? Despite marketing research and current trends, might we see a LX derived coupe of this Charger? I've seen mock up photos of a 300C coupe, so it can't be out of the realm. I believe if DC thinks carefully about it, goes against the grain of automotive trends and reaches down to the loyalists hopes, might they find it worthy to make even a small run of an honest 2 door RWD Hemi Chryslers/Dodges/DC's? Perhaps a Charger, maybe a new day Challenger or Cuda? Make 15-30,000 copies and see if all Us holdouts weren't right about waiting? You might be surprised DC!

Until then, I think we should all be glad that DC at least has brought back some of that MOPAR essence. Sorry this was long, but I have been brewing on this for a long time now. Despite it all, Count me in DC!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    That would be a good question for Mr. Brown at this evening's chat - hope you can make it!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I find it intriquing that now the Mopar fans are grappling over the return of a classic nameplate as Pontiac GTO fans have been debating for the past few years.

The new GTO is a fantastic overall vehicle but much derided for it's sedate styling even though it's true to it's original mission of large RWD V8 manual shift large 2 door coupe.

Chrysler has chosen a more radical styling for the return of the Charger but only offers a 4 door model which I believe is a mistake since the 300 & Magnum are already 4 doors. Why not at least make a 2 door available? Styling is subjective but part of the definition of a true muscle car is 2 door coupe! This car should just be a Magnum sedan.
  • jimhemijimhemi Posts: 223
    The Charger was a 2 Door muscle car. It went fast and if you were lucky to hit the brakes hard enough and in time it would stop. Technology is great. The concept was great. The real 2006 is awful. For a company that is as innovative as DC has been in recent years, the Viper, Prowler, in your face Ram, bringing back the HEMI and yes the Car of the Year the Chrylser 300C; Dodge missed the boat when they built a parts bin car and called it a Charger.

We are all aware of the little rat traps of the 80's that were called Chargers. This is supposed to be the "New Dodge", "Grab Life By The Horns" company. This car is plain. It's a nice family sedan that replaces the Intrepid. It should not have been given the name Charger. That is the issue here. Had this been called the Intrepid, Monaco, Polara, this discussion board wouldn't exist. Because it is called the Charger, and is a Dodge badged 300C, we enthusiasts are upset with that.

With the money that Dodge has, they could have stuck to the concept car. They could have built it on the current LX platform and included the HEMI instead of the propane injected concept engine. The name and shape mean alot to people. It's car culture history. It is if Dodge didn't learn from it's mistakes. Ford learned from the mid 70's Mustangs. What if the Corvette came out next year with a back seat? How about a wagon version of a vette? See, it just does not make sense.

Hope Dodge sells alot of these as police cars. That was the aim, get back into the police business. 4 Door, rear drive V8's that the cops need. Every few years they order more. If it weren't for cops and old people the Crown Vic would have been 6feet under 15 years ago.

The race version looks good because there are no doors. As for me, I will be going out to my garage now to work on ripping out the heater core on my 1971 Dodge Charger 500(added weight, and doesn't see winter duty). I'll have plenty of room to work, it has 2 big doors.

Again, for those that are new to this board, I beg of you to look at this link and tell me what CHARGER you would rather have, the current 2006, or this one that Popular Hotrodding came out with.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0404phr_dodge/
  • dustykdustyk Posts: 2,926
    I think some people are over-reacting to this new entry being called a "Charger." The Charger was a legend for a number of reasons; good looks and high horsepower platforms. The name itself evokes emotional recognition and that's probably one reason why the marketing people chose to use the name.

But this new Charger is very handsome and muscular in today's contemporary eyesight. And it will be a high performance platform in a more meaningful way than the original. The number of doors is clouding the rationale for the name, in my opinion. With this entry Dodge will be reinforcing the Charger image as a high performance car, and in a more refined way than the chargers of old.

>>>I am not a huge chevy or ford fan but at least the people there know not to mess with thier old legends.<<< Well, if my memory serves me correctly the Mustang went through several platform evolutions in a way that made me wonder if the Ford people knew what they wanted the Mustang to impart. The Mustang started of compact. got much bigger, diluted it's name with a so-called Mustang II, then went smaller before becoming the Mustang of today. Yes, the number of doors stayed the same but there were conceptual changes nonetheless. And the Thunderbird did go from coupe to sedan! I might add that the name Charger was used on the Omni-Horizon-based coupe of the late seventies and into the eighties, starting off as the O24. Now, yes, it did not have four doors but I cannot think of a deeper transformation from original concept. I can sympathize with purist traditionalists. It would be nice if the Charger were a coupe. It would fit and be maintained in the heritage of Chargers and everyone would be happy. The problem is that coupes as a vehicle class are not selling like they did in the '60s or '70s. In today's market the four-door sedan is king. That might change, but for now the sedan rules. Chrysler cars of the past decade or so have done absolutely nothing for me. The last half-way decent offering was the Acclaim/Spirit/LeBaron,in my opinion, and that was a little on the meager side. This new Charger has caught my attention, however, not because of it's name but because it is exciting. Best regards, Dusty
    Sounds like you work for Chrysler
    I would like to offer some thoughts to the current problem with the Charger so you may fix errors when you unveil the Challenger this time next year. I hope it is not to late. You need a Mustang slayer, was hoping that this Charger would be just that, unfortunately it is not.

The rumor is strong of a possible Daytona version of this car. I hope to god that Mother Mopar does not redo the Daytona. Let this car lay in peace. Let the legend be. Do not bring back a legend to let it be fall the same faith as this current atrocity. Ask the moderator for my email address. You have my permission to contact me.

So if this chat room is to busy tonight and you probably will be considering all that is going on, please, I am happy to offer my services and can provide very good references.
  • Burke brown you said "The 2006 Dodge Charger pays homage to the muscle cars of the '60s, but offers modern coupe styling with four-door functionality."

so where is the 60s homage in the 06 charger, opps i mean magnum? DC builds a magnum sedan and calls it a charger, Burke have you ever seen a 60s Dodge Charger????? DCX you should be watching ford, the mustang is selling, and its a 2 door, you hear that Trevor Creed, 2 doors do sell, and whats with every car and truck DC makes uses the same stylecroiss haired grill, DC needs to make some management changes,

instead of DC telling us what we want, DC you should listen to what we want...
  • Burke brown you said "The 2006 Dodge Charger pays homage to the muscle cars of the '60s, but offers modern coupe styling with four-door functionality."

so where is the 60s homage in the 06 charger, opps i mean magnum? DC builds a magnum sedan and calls it a charger, Burke have you ever seen a 60s Dodge Charger????? DCX you should be watching ford, the mustang is selling, and its a 2 door, you hear that Trevor Creed, 2 doors do sell, and whats with every car and truck DC makes uses the same stylecroiss haired grill, DC needs to make some management changes,

instead of DC telling us what we want, DC you should listen to what we want...
  • chargercharger Posts: 11
    Yes You are correct the Charger was a legend for a number of reasons. NOT one of those reasons was that it had 4 doors. ALL chargers regardless of what kind of crap they turned into in the 80's were still 2 DOORS! (except maybe the omni but that wasn't worthy of the Charger name either) And yes I have to agree that most of what Chrysler has put out over the past decade has been well to put it simply "junk". You call that Handsome? I will bet you that if this car appears on a nascar track it won't have 4 doors. Yes your memory serves you correct The Mustang DID INDEED go through several platform changes But it remained 2 DOOR JUST LIKE THE CHARGER DID! And just like the Charger the mustang had it beautys (like Elanor from gone in sixty seconds)but it had some models that are not worth giving away. Yeah I know all about the bull associated with what sells and like I said originally if you read carefully I have already acknowledged the fact that this car is being marketed for the purpose of sales after all what car isn't offered with that idea in mind. Bottom line is if you like it buy it if you don't then don't. That is what makes the U.S.A. the best place on this planet. I will take the money that I had set aside for the 2006 Charger and go find one of the Bad [non-permissible content removed] wingless Mach 1 Chargers of the Late sixties. Dodge had a chance to do something big here and make history (like Ford id doing) and they flopped. It's like having 2 fighters in a ring and having one take the fall on purpose. Maybe this Charger will sell a million units a month. (Then maybe the Dodge Crew won't have to worry so much about money) THEN MAYBE they will get it right. As far as this Charger goes? No thanks I'll Pass. And the name has been tarnished. I am sure that the little old lady from Pasadena would have passed on this one too. ALso lets see who will be the first yodel to make one of these into the General Lee. This is the Charger they should have used on the Dukes of Hazzard instead of ruining the REAL Chargers.
    The NASCAR cars will always be doorless. In fact, NASCAR uses common templates for all 3 manufacturers. That means the only thing that is different is the decals on each car and the engines that are in them. NASCAR is reported to be toying with the idea of running a common engine in the 07 season to enhance competition. SO the Charger we see is nothing more then a truck grill on a car and a bunch of trumped up hype.

"But this new Charger is very handsome and muscular in today's contemporary eyesight. And it will be a high performance platform in a more meaningful way than the original"

sorry but do u have your glasses on?
  • Looks remarkably like a remake of the 1993 Dodge Spirit.

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2004/12/18/175/524/1163031435- .175524732.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I own three Chargers, the first three years in fact, and this new car is no Charger.
  • xmf314xmf314 Posts: 154
    I saw the new Charger at the L.A. auto show today, and was very disappointed. I remember when the original Charger was introduced. It had a "WOW" factor, and I lusted after one.

However, the new Charger looks like an ordinary mid-size sedan. It won't receive the reception the old one received. The Dodge boys could have done better than this.
    Burke couldn't handle the questions from the chat so the ejected me.

Please! You should be ashamed. I didn't curse, what happened to free speech?
    What a sham! The real people spoke and because we were not positive of the new 06 we get ejected. For shame Edmunds. I have read your reports for years and what was said was no different then what your writers have written for years.
  • rik4rik4 Posts: 90
    did chrylser really hire the design team from the aztek project to build their new charger. I think as i did when the aztek was released that is was a born loser and so is the charger. Instead of listening to what the buyer wanted chrysler decided they know better and reached into their excess parts bin and created the god ugly charger. Will just build one for each dealership and that should last them the 5 year model run. I guess i will look at ford. At least they listen and responded with the GT and mustang.
    Charger, you need to keep a working e-mail address in your profile. Please let us know when your address is updated, lest your account be disabled.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Rik4, Charger, Dakota Don, and the rest of the guys from the chat room, I say thank you. I now know that I am not crazy. The spin zone and the fake questions that came in from obvious Chrysler PR people was just ridiculous. We all saw the responses and it amounted to one giant advertisement. In fact, Mr. Brown sounded like he was simply reciting the press release. (BOT)

I work in politics for the state of New Jersey, and all jokes aside, I know bull plop when I see it and that was grade "A" plop. Most of us over the past several months have expressed disgust and voiced our opinions. I find it amazing that the day the ad banner for the 2006 Charger Chat went up on this page that there was a sudden influx of POSITIVE responses.

I do not know who said it last night in the chat room, but I have heard the same, that for every positive letter that has been received at DCX, there have been 30 negative. A 4 door grocery getter, with no style, except for a different set of rear doors and a slight tweaking of the truck grill we have a Magnum Coupe, or a cheap 300C, which ever you want to call it; Dodge calls this the New Charger.

What was the response to no manual being offered? For those that weren't in the chat room last night, the Answer, "Manuals don't sell well in 4 doors"(Burke Brown, Jan. 13 2006)

What about all of the Euro cars, BMW, Mercedes, SAAB, and the Japanese Lexus IS, I know that these are 4 doors that sell very well with manuals. How do you offer a "Modern day muscle car" with no stick?

So many questions we had that went unanswered do to corporate PR Spin. Gentlemen, I look forward to the discussion until we all grow tired of the banter and buy the new Mustang which we all agree looks great. Good luck team Burke.
    I pushed the questions through last night, and I can assure you that the questions were from members and not from Chrysler PR. We don't do that - otherwise, why bother having a live chat? We could just do an interview without an audience if we wanted to do that. We take real questions from audience members.

Obviously, I can't speak for Mr. Brown's answers as that's his (and his company's) decision.

No. Never have. Actually I worked for Buick Division of General Motors in the late '60s.

Dusty
    The form of your question comes off as trite. I respect your opinion that the Charger is ugly, if that's what your opinion is. Do you expect everyone to see beauty as you see it?

So far I've liked what I've seen in the form of photographs, even if this is a tweak to an existing platform. Maybe in the flesh my opinion will be different. I like most everything about the Magnum and 300C except the front. The Charger front does it for me.

Dusty
This discussion has been closed.