Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus ES 350 Real World MPG

Comments

• tdohtdoh Posts: 298
    I reckon gearing would have something to do with that (2k rpm at 70 mph)... ;)
  • dreyfusdreyfus Posts: 24
    After 3000 miles my around-town driving is consistently 26 mpg. My first long trip (10 hours at 72 mph cruise control with AC) returned 33 mpg.

I've found the trip meter takes at least 45 minutes of driving before it will settle down to give a consistent and accurate reading.

BTW, these mileage figures are based on dividing the number of miles driven by the number of gallons used, not by relying on the car's mpg readings. In my ES350 the car mpg readings are usually within 1 mpg of what I calculate.
  • I've just over 4,000 miles on my ES350 and have run half those miles with 92 octane and half with 87 octane. I've discerned no difference in performance, mileage, nor engine sounds between the two grades of gas.

This topic is beat to death on all the auto forums and I doubt anyone actually converts from one opinion to another (it's bad - it's good, it's stupid - it's smart) despite all the discussion. This is simply my experience.
  • I've been getting 26 & 33 mpg with the air conditioning on pretty much all the time.

Now that we've had some cooler weather here in NC, I'm finding my mileage without AC to be 1.5 mpg better.

87 or 91 octane doesn't make a difference.
  • Just took my ES on it's first road trip. The last tankful at 70-80 MPH logged 33.6 mpg on the car's readout.
  • normalnormal Posts: 19
    I have about 500 miles on my ES 350, virtually no highway miles yet and my cars computer is registering around 16.5 mpg, is anyone else getting a similar reading. I really like the car, but to this point the mileage is not what I expected.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Posts: 1,134
    I'm not a Lexus ES 350 owner, but let me tell you my story. Nearly four years ago I bought an '03 Hyundai Sonata with the puny 2.7L 170 hp. V6 motor. (You have a nearly 100 hp advantage over me.). According to my sales contract, my new car had a paltry 15 miles registered on the odometer (and that was after I put eight miles on the car during a test drive). The EPA rated that engine with its 4-sp A/T at 19 mpg city/27 mpg highway. My first tank netted me 14+ mpg combined. At 500 miles my combined mileage had increased to 17. At 5,000 miles my combined had increased to just under 22. (Please tell me you see a pattern here. ;)) Now at over 22,200 miles, my combined is at just under 25. (urban crawl really skews results - when you're sitting at a red light, you're getting ZERO mpg) On a freeway run to Las Vegas from San Bernardino and back (about 480 miles), held to 70 mph on cruise control, and with A/C blasting away (some like it cold...) I average an honest 30+ mpg. In short, your motor is still running-in no matter what your owner's manual states. Your fuel mileage will improve as the motor's and tranny's sliding parts finish seating against their bearings or other contact parts to their most free-running alignments.
  • normalnormal Posts: 19
    Thank you for the response, I really do need to drive this car more, it is a month old and is just at 500 miles. I'm going to St. Louis :)
  • I drove from Los Angeles to Dallas and got from 31-34 mpg. Very pleased. I drove at speeds from 70-80 with the air on most of the time.
  • I just got my ES350 and took it from San Diego to Phoenix and back with highway speeds of 80-90 (mostly cruise control) and a small amount of city driving. Outside temp was 90-100 and MPG averaged 26.
  • Any wind noise from your driver's side window at those speed?
    )) "Are people saying that even using 87 (regular) is ok and there is no experience of knocking or other problems? ... I had always thought, perhaps incorrectly, that even if you could use the lower grade fuels you would burn more of it and hence need more frequent fuel stops." ((

The 3.5L V6 engine used in the '07 Camry is exactly the same engine used in the '06 ES 350. Both "versions" use knock sensor transducers (piezo-electric microphones which pick up the first hints of "knocking/pinging" before human hearing can distinguish such) screwed into the cylinder banks to feed the information to the engine control computer to tailor the ignition advance tuning on the fly. But the EX 350's engine is rated to 4 hp more. Why the difference? The EX 350's recommendation to use 91 pump octane vs. the Camry's recommendation to use 87 pump octane. Next time you're due for a fill-up, pump half a tank of 87 octane regular grade gasoline in. You'll know within several miles whether your engine has any increased tendency to "ping" - it probably won't. But, if your engine does ping (and a few miles will NOT cause engine damage), then pump the remaining tank volume with 91 octane premium gasoline - the combo will net you a tankful of your customarily used 89 octane. No harm, no foul. If, as I suspect, your engine remains as characteristically quiet as previously with mid-grade 89 octane gasoline, it's doubtfull you'll ever miss the extra two horsepower that the mid-grade fuel delivers. Whatever fuel economy difference you note will A) be more theoretical than real, B) be more because of the route you choose than the octane rating you selected, and C) certainly be insufficient to justify the extra dime per gallon at the pump.
  • dreyfusdreyfus Posts: 24
    Yes, that's exactly what we're saying.

I've noticed no difference whatsoever between 87 & 93 octane fuel after thousands of miles of driving on both. Same power. Same engine sounds. Same gas mileage.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    to the more appropriate general ES 350 discussion.
  • If you look in your owner's manual, it tells you that 91 octane rated unleaded gas is recommneded. However, that same paragraph also tells you that you can use 87 octane gas if 91 is not available. This should give all of us a hint that it can run on either type of gas without any limitations or warranty issues.
    )) "...you can use 87 octane gas if 91 is not available. ... ...it can run on either type of gas without any limitations or warranty issues." ((

Good information - thanks for sharing. The same displacement engine used in the 2007 Camry V6 models is rated at 4 hp. less on its recommended 87 octane unleaded regular. It follows that operating an ES 350 on 87 octane would likely result in similar hp. to that of the Camry. Realistically, how important is an additional 4 hp when the Camry is already rated at 268 hp.? Or to rephrase, is an additional 4 hp. really worth 20 cents/gallon extra at the pump? That drop from using regular unleaded is only a 1.47% reduction from the 272 hp rating of the ES 350. The detergent additives in gasoline are federally regulated at the same minimum level regardless of octane rating. "Top Tier" gasolines carry a higher minimum level - again equally spec'd per "Top Tier" standards across all octane grades among gasoline brands agrreing to adhere to the "Top Tier" standards and who pay the price of certification for bragging rights.
  • Two adults and two children under 11 and a lot of food, water and heavy luggage from San Francisco to Las Vegas: 100% freeway; heat has been on to maintain interior temperature to 65; The car's read out mileage is 30.2 mpg.

Currently, my 90% city (short stop and go avenues) and 10% highway mileage is 24.6 mpg.
  • My new ES350 gives about 23miles/gallon. The driving is mostly on freeway. This is with the mixed driving on the first tank I got it filled from the dealership when bought the car. The display shows 40miles/hr as average speed. So far looks ok. I read on this post folks reporting 27 to 30 miles/gallon with the new car without breaking period of 1000miles.

I am not sure about the type of the gas filled from dealership, but would think its to be premium. So far not worried about the lower mileage wondering when would I get the improvement. The car has about 350miles on it.

:cry:
  • That's what you get in a mixed driving, 23-24 miles/gallon. 30 m/g is on freeway.
  • I have 1000 miles on my ES350. I am doing approx 70% highway and 30% city. My avg is 23.5 miles/gallon with 93 octane gas. The tank avg reading is not accurate. It was showing 25. I guess it takes time to adjust itself. On the highway it seems I am getting 31mpg i.e., as per the trip computer. So far I have not gone on a long road trip to get a realistic number.

It would have been nice if there was an overall avg speed reading. The avg speed gets reset every time you turn the vehicle ON/OFF. In my BMW I had the overall avg speed reading which I would reset every time I fill gas. So if my avg speed was 25 mph then I knew for that gas tank I did more city driving and less highway driving. And if it was 45-50mph then I knew I did more highway driving and it would explain the variation in the avg mpg from tank to tank.