Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• Options
    g17g17 Member Posts: 45
    Nope, you're probably sitting in the front seat waaaaay back like one of those hip-hoppers practicing for a luge competition.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    once you get into the 17"+ range, even the dedicated winter wheels are usually alloys, since I think the steelies usually only go up to 16" at most.

I would save money (and up performance in the white stuff) by going to a 17" with a taller sidewall. Should fit, since 17s are standard anyway.

and not nuts, just in college (oh wait, maybe that was the same thing, it's hard to remember at this point..)

I liked doing donuts and sliding around. It was fun that you just won't get with VDIM

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    brydymondbrydymond Member Posts: 41
    No real discount. Just help getting out of my 2002 SportCross lease with 15 months left

black on black by the way
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Again, good stuff. I didn't realize steelies over 16" would be an issue.

Since they're on the same platform, I searched packages for the '06 GS430. They have Blizzaks for $161 a pop in the 225 or $164 in the 235/50-17, and a Sport Edition F2 rim for $88 that's reasonably attractive. Just for a ballparking.

Ahh, college. I understand.

I committed my first and last bounced check in college for a $1.79 jar of cocktail olives and a $.49 box of toothpicks; martini party. After fees it cost me $27.44, or more than what we spent on the gin, vermouth and plastic glasses combined.

Ahhh, college.
  • Options
    scotte1scotte1 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks again for the tip, guys. Those Sport Edition F2s aren't too bad-looking. This might just work.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Nope...seat is bottomed out but it's not leaned back. In fact I usually have my seat back at about a 95-100 degree angle.
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    I don't get how you don't fit into the back of the IS after adjusting the seat for youself in the front. I am considerably larger than you are and I fit in the back just fine. This here is strange. Are you sure this is the same car we are talking about? :P

For those who complain about no toe room underneath the seat, that is when the front seats are set all the way down/vertically. If you raise the seat height, there is considerable room for toes underneath. The cozy backseat is growing on me actually.

Aesthetically, ergonomically, technologically speaking, the new IS is a homerun in my eyes.
  • Options
    pzykofartpzykofart Member Posts: 46
    Well, I'm 5'5" - so the backseat of an IS is a no-brainer for me. But, I don't understand why larger people pretend the IS is an SC in sedan form (in terms of useless backseats), when the car has so much going for it. Some people are overdoin' it, to say the least.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    different standards. I look at it as if I fit, anything more is gravy. Others expect stretch out room like in an LS.

Actually, I really evaluate it to decide if my son (who is now about 5'2") will fit.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    "Aesthetically, ergonomically, technologically speaking, the new IS is a homerun in my eyes."

I second that. I'm 19, too, and I'm just giving this car a year before I purchase one to see possibilities of more standard options (on the IS 350), or even better - performance hybrid engines (IS 450h)!

I think they're adapting well with hybrid technology; more performance with less compromise, so why not? If Lexus were to follow the European trend (i.e. coupling this car with a V8 like the M3, C-55 and S4), it's feasible - but, nonetheless unoriginal.
  • Options
    A V8 would be nice, but for now, 306 hp from a V6 with lots of torque would be, even then, overkill in my eyes, but a good kind.

I highly doub that an IS 450h would ever happen. The car is too small to balance having a hybrid in it; a V8 is more likely.

When I am older I will start looking for a more performance oriented car something along the lines of the new performance division Lexus (LF-A for example). For now, seeing as how horrible the roads are in the city I live in (mostly due to the salt on the roads because of winter), having a high performance car is simply insane, so I am making this compromise and looking at a Lexus sedan with 300 horsepower! Compromises are terrible.
  • Options
    "Others expect stretch out room like in an LS."

Yea, no kidding. Sport sedans aren't exactly limos. People are expecting this for some reason. Why? I have no idea!

Don't worry. Anybody 6'2 or so and under will fit just fine in the backseat!
  • Options
    I was just wondering, is Toyota the only one with updated SAE horsepower/torque ratings? Has the supposed 6-speed manual Infiniti G35 with 298 horsepower changed?
  • Options
    I expect to be able to fit in the seats comfortably. Crazy me! I can sit behind myself in a 3 series.

I'll visit lexus this weekend - if I get a chance - and try to get in the back once more. maybe bring a camera along to document the event!
  • Options
    As far as I know, Lexus, Acura, and BMW are the only ones right now with SAE ratings. Infiniti is still with the old ways of horsepower measurement.

BGDC... you are one step ahead of me. I was thinking about taking a camera just to prove that you were looking at a different car! I was gonna show myself getting into the front seat, and then getting into the backseat and showing the whole world that it was not that bad afterall!
  • Options
    biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Honda, Toyota and a few others also revised their HP numbers. The real street performance numbers are more important than these HP numbers.
  • Options
    gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    Looking forward to seeing your pictures sitting in the backseat.
  • Options
    gstoisgstois Member Posts: 65
    My IS350 is now broken in. I raced my buddy last night in his G35. The best way to sum it up is this: I wasn't sure he was actually racing me until we got back to his house and he admitted to it.

I took 3 grown men in the car and completely unsolicited, the two in the back commented on how surprisingly comfortable they were. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to pretend that it's my GS in terms of size, but it's working just fine for me.
  • Options
    About what speed did you start racing at and how many car lengths ahead were you at what speed? C'mon, smore details?

How many miles on the car now at break-in (That seemed quick)?
  • Options
    Don't have those details, but I'll try to do a little better. It was a short street race to a left turn that we both needed to make. We started at around 25 to 30 mph. As soon as I floored it I started pulling away very fast, thus my confusion as to whether or not he was really racing me. I had well over a car length on him in less that a quarter of a mile because I had to get in front of him to make the turn. I had plenty room to make the lane change without risking either of our cars. Once we got through the turn we were headed into a series of turns on a two lane road and there was no way for him to pass me, even if he could have caught me, which was never going to happen. Keep in mind, his car is an auto.

My friends egged me on to stop the break-in at around 560 miles. I think I was pretty patient.
  • Options
    Nice... :shades:
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Brother. How juvenile can you get?

I woulda been flooring it at 500 miles....
  • Options
    How juvenile can't I get? I think the manual suggests a little over 600 miles, or whatever the conversion is from km to miles. Patience, brother, is what I'm all about.
  • Options
    spyder52spyder52 Member Posts: 30
    For anyone who is reading the back seat issue, I guess you can call it a lie if someone who is 6'2 claim can fit just fine. The reality is I'm 5'7 and have to adjust the front seat way up to find room for my feet and then tilt the front seat just right and move toward front just right, then I was BARELY able to find a seating position that I can tolerate. I suppose you can fit the old Anna Nicole Smith back there but why? It would be like stuffing a turkey on Thanksgiving day!

Check it out for youself before you listen to their comments. Let me ask you the potential buyers this question, have you ever seen some big tall dude driving a Mazda Miata with his head way over the front windshield and totally stuffed look?
    I will also warn these guys get really nasty with their comments real quick, they can't stand the fact someone else has an opinion different than theirs. They just want their ideas to dominate the forum, and if they actually have something else to do they would not respond to this post. Let's see shall we?

Yes, the IS is nice I like it, but it really is made for people with small frames at least in the backseat, and yes it's comfortable if you are 5'1 to 5'2 basically an 8th grader you will be fine. 6'2 fit? Are U kidding me? What, do you sit up straight with your knees to your chin the entire trip. I understand you love the car, and want to like it and will find whatever justifcation for the backseat. The fact is it has less room then my friend's Honda Civic and that's no lie.
  • Options
    This may sound strange to you, but I have been in the back of a Honda Civic and there is more room, IMO, in the backseat of the IS for 2 people than in the Civic. I have a Corolla (04') and the first time I went to see the new IS, I concluded that my Corolla had more backseat room than the IS (most definitely for 3 people). The second time I went to see the IS, I sat up front, adjusted the seat to a comfortable setting, got in the back, and was stunned; the backseat was nice! If the goal is to fit 3 people into an IS, Civic, or Corolla, you will find more room in the Civic and Corolla.

Anyways, I actually as of this exact momment realized that nothing I will write will make you see that even I, a 5'11" 195 pound former bodybuilding 19 year old, can fit in the backseat with a person of equal stature driving up front.

You can only fit 2 in the backseat. If it is uncomfortable for you, so be it, but not for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Just a little footnote here: If you find it too cramped for yourself, don't tell people that your opinion is difinitive; the style of your writing paints that sort of picture. I recommend that everyone actually sit up front and then in the back to judge for themselves because everyone has different opinions of what is comfortable or not.

I guess it shouldn't make any difference to me if you don't think the same. It seems as though you are here just to flame.

Pictures will be on their way soon of myself sitting in the front and then in the back. Call me Harry Hudini! (And no, I was not sitting with my knees to my chin, but leaning back in the seat in comfort.)
  • Options
    In the entry Lux Performance Sedans board I posted pics of my legs and feet in an IS250/350. I posted there as I also put up pics taken today in my e46. I don't want to break the rules in this forum.

Mike, I'm not sure how you can find comfort back there but so be it.

blueguydotcom, "Entry-Level Luxury Performance Sedans" #4767, 29 Oct 2005 9:15 pm
  • Options
    yankyfnyankyfn Member Posts: 3
    I am so sick of reading posts about the back seat. Let it die already. PLEASE! Who cares!?
  • Options
    diesel3diesel3 Member Posts: 18
    i totally agree with the end of the back seat discussion, but let me chip in my two cents. It may be a problem for people who will use the back seat but for me it is perfect b/c i usually never have more than 1 person in my car plus it gives me an excuse not to carpool people. go lexus
  • Options
    Oh, I do find comfort, although I won't be using it personally... except for the odd time... :) .... I am kinda annoyed with being a taxi though sometimes.

Thanks for going through the trouble of posting the pics.

To each his own though hey?
  • Options
    spyder52spyder52 Member Posts: 30
    Dude, I am sorry I must missed it! Did the MRSP sticker say this is a 4 passager car? Or 5 Passager car?

Bottomline is they really didn't do a very good job to make back seat space for ADULTs at all.

The problem is very simple, the front seats are way oversized. You saw the pictures from blueguy post, no room for you feet, I had to raise the front seat up quite a bit to create some space back there for my feet to just fit, then I had to move 2-3 inches forward than I normally would to creat some tiny space for my knees and I am only 5'7. This is the truth. I never said what I said was difinitive!
    Did you miss all the stuff I said about asking people to try it out for themselves?
    Also, just because back seat is not good doesn't mean this is not a good car, I never said that, as matter of fact i reapeatly said I like the car. That's all

Finally, I wish anyone make a post actually have a specific discussion, just hate the ones who say they are sick of some topic. THIS IS A FORUM, that means people engage in talks. Congress debate issues for months. So I don't see anything wrong about talking back seat space. As long as someone is willing to answer it's NONE of your business. If you don't like it, try to turn off your PC. I am sorry our topic doesn't interest you, this is after all a public forum. :confuse:
  • Options
    suave_tequilasuave_tequila Member Posts: 116
    TRUE!!! Well I went to me Lexus Dealership today to go see the IS 350. When I got out of my truck, the first thing I said was "I'm gonna buy it". It was matador red with cashmere int. with ML and Nav.

It was ordered for some guy who later came in to pick it up right when I was leaving! Well I only had a couple of mins since I was on my way to go meet up with my friends a party, plus there were lots of people there too and the salesmen were busy!

I got inside it was very comfortable and to my surprise I had my IPod in my pocket and its wireless thingy and I turned to FM station and bumped it UP!!! only for like 20 secs since the salesmen left to give me his card, Nice sound system and I quickly looked around, didnt have a good look but everything was nice!!!

So I left and stopped to look at the GS (i think) and that totally got my attention which I was a bit more interested it that model. I looked through the window for a couple of secs and liked it!!! I am returning back tomorrow to see the IS again but actually get a good look and to look at the GS (I think) lol!
  • Options
    digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    you can hate it all you want when someone says they are sick of a particular topic but at that point it has been beaten to death. back seat, stick shift... enough. if you dont like the back seat dont buy the car. same with the stick issue on the 350. lets move the discussion along please.
  • Options
    You want the topics to go toward something that interests you? Bring up a topic about the car. Contribute and you too can be involved in a conversation that interests you.

The e90 forum's been awash with posts about winter tires for weeks. I stop in scan the topics, see it's boring and move on. No sense complaining as some members of that forum think it's mighty interesting.

This is an open forum. So you too can open up to the room about your concerns, likes, dislikes regarding the IS series...you hold the power to move the conversation in a direction you prefer.
  • Options
    viqtpiviqtpi Member Posts: 1
    I was in an accident a couples weeks ago :( , car was totaled and now have to buy a new car :) . We looked at the TL, A4, C-class, Passat, Avalon, Maxima and the IS was the last car we saw. As a family of 3, I agree the ONLY down side to the IS was the small backseat. But I have one 5 yr old that will be back there. If I want to carry around adults or be apart of a car pool, I'll use my truck.

The IS interior and features were to die for. The other cars had some of the same features, but the IS had all of, plus more of the features we were looking for. Let's admit it, the key feature in the IS was the only one, in that price range at least, that we saw.

I guess what I am saying is, if I want more room, I'll buy a bigger car, but I am looking for interior features and the IS win hands down.

I am open to your opinion... ;)
  • Options
    sdiver68sdiver68 Member Posts: 125
    Have to weigh in on the back seat issue.

I sat in the IS350 yesterday specifically checking out the back seat. Mind you, this is for a family of 4....1 6yo and 1 4yo would be the typical back seat occupants. I adjusted both front seats for comfortable, then sat in back. I'm 5'10 175...

The 2 main back seat positions were livable for around town. However, it was definitely tight. What does this have to do with 2 small kids? The ground-in dirt from their shoes on the back of my nice leather seats would be quite irritating.

My conclusion, let's call a spade a spade. This is a Toyota Corrolla sized luxury compact. It is not a luxury car, nor a sports car, and even the title of sport sedan, given the electronic overlords over controlling everything from the gear box to the handling, is questionable, except maybe in the case of the IS350 Sport, which I have yet to drive so am withholding judgement.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    To those who don't want to see any more posts on any given subject - all you have to do is just not read them. But in any case you should not respond, because all you do is carry on the theme that you say you want ended by keeping the conversation open.

To those who want more diversity in this discussion - introduce it yourself. It is counter-productive to whine about what is being discussed (see previous paragraph), just change the subject yourself as someone else wisely suggests.

To those who have different opinions about who or what can fit in the back seat - who cares how others view this? As others have said, try it for yourself, find out for yourself - that's all that matters. Understand that we all have different needs and priorities - AND we all are entitled to make up our own minds about everything, including whether the backseat is suitable for our particular situation.

Now, can we just talk about the car without so much petty squabbling?
  • Options
    Am I the only one on this board that actually owns this car?

Like I've said time and time again, I have a family of four, have taken three 5'9"+ friends in it and it works fine for me. Here are my alternatives and the associated sacrifice if I want a bigger back seat:

1. GS300/430: I owned the last generation. It will probably be my next car, but for now I want something sportier, hence the purchase of the IS.

2. BMW 330: Been there, done that. I owned two BMW's and had a horrible ownership experience. The Lexus is quieter, rides better, is more reliable, and the service is far superior, hence the purchase of the IS.

3. Infiniti G35: I am impressed with where Infiniti is headed, but they don't have the Lexus track record yet. Besides, the car is a bit "cheap" feeling to me, hence the purchase of my IS350.

4. Audi A4: I've looked and looked, but could never pull myself to buy this brand. My cousin has one and wants to buy an IS350, hence the purchase of my IS350.

5. Acura TL: Tremendous value, a little boring. Like Infiniti, I like where Acura is headed, but they have to keep it up a while longer before I'll buy one, hence the purchase of my IS350.

6. Anything Mercedes: Been there, done that too. Worst ownership experience of my 10+cars, hence the purchase of my IS350.

As you can see, the decision to by my IS350 was a no-brainer. So far I couldn't be happier. :)
  • Options
    koshliveskoshlives Member Posts: 4
    I have been contemplating getting into a G35 Coupe or an Acura TL for way too long. I love the drive train and performance of the G35 but hate the interior. The Acura TL interior is almost what I would consider perfect, but car lacks in performance and is a front wheel drive and seems to be getting old in exterior design.

In comes the the Lexus IS 350. A real possible easy decision maker and problem solver with my uncertainties in making a clear decision with the later two cars. I love the performance of the IS. I love the interior and exterior looks of the IS. But the size of the interior makes me really uncomfortable as to if I'm purchasing a car that was really meant for smaller individuals (Makes me double take on exterior size as well). I'm 6'2" and would love to be in a car that looks like the IS-350. When the GS came out I loved the looks but found the size to be more on the lines of a very large and long family car. I'm tempted to be more favorable to the IS because the quality of interior material and exterior design is superior. But I have to admit that having to move the front seat practically behind the side pillar and not being able to come even close to sitting in the rear makes me wonder while hearing Bob Carter's " Yes. Two adults can fit very comfortably in the back of an IS." ringing in my ears as I contemplate what Lexus is giving me for 43K and noticing the size of the interior is now more resembling a Tercel.

I later found after reading posts in this forum confirming my questions with interior room, that this car is classified as a sub-compact. What was interesting is a Honda Civic, G35, 330I, and yes even the older IS 300 were classified with more interior room as compact cars.

I get the feeling that this car needed to be a two door, not four. Or needed interior room to be increased along with the new model year, not just exterior. I'm really anticipating being disappointed if not already for having to leave this car out as an option for me, especially for being so close to what I was considering to be the perfect car for me. Please set me straight if you can, I love the car, but my initial impressions on the interior size and research seem to point in the same direction. Please don't bash me, it will only help me walk away from this car when all I really want is to be convinced that it is the car for me. :cry:
  • Options
    I don't know what to tell you. The car works fine for me, my family, and friends. I'm 5'9". If I was on a basketball team, I'd think twice. You, my friend, are going to have to pick your poison: Poor interior (G35), poor performance (TL), or a smaller back seat. Let's not forget that we are talking about a class of small cars. It's not like any of these cars is going to have a palatial back seat. The differences are going to be marginal at best, coming from someone who owns the IS and has spent plenty of time in the back seat of friends' G35's and TL's.

Remember, Lexus doesn't need this car to be all things to all people. For those who don't want the sacrifice that comes with other brands, Lexus will gladly sell them a GS.
  • Options
    lucindalucinda Member Posts: 3
    Yes folks keep up the negative comments, it is music to my ears. Hopefully, the internet buzz will help drive the prices down, so I can get my IS250 well below sticker. I have finally got my first dealer offer of $1000 below MSRP!! The walls are crumbling! I am hoping by Dec (to remember) things should be lookin' pretty good, price-wise.

BTW, being 5'0" I find the seating very comfortable, and as there is rarely anyone in my backseat (and never ME), the size of the backseat is not bad. My daughter (5'8") or god-forbid, my husband (5'10" and large) would definitely have a tight squeeze back there. But, as I have my drivers seat very far forward, sitting behind me really wouldn't be so bad. So there, us shorties finally have an advantage in something.
  • Options
    koshliveskoshlives Member Posts: 4
    Lucinda, I envey you and your family. LOL. This clearly is probebly the best Subcompact out there. Wish I was in your position. Or hopefully they got the interior measurments wrong LOL.
  • Options
    lexonianlexonian Member Posts: 1
    I live in Saudi Arabia and I have to say that Lexus here is highly appreciated even thought the IS350 has not yet been launched here, I'm confident that when they do it will be a hit..cuz when u think about it, you're getting the killer looks, sporty performance ( even though it is slightly restrained by gadgetry ), lexus pedigree, great re-sale, and a status symbol despite those snobby German car lovers...Sorry about the mini speech guys, my first post lool..
  • Options
    gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    I want to get a IS350 below the invoice price :)
  • Options
    Oh don't worry about that. I have some Saudi friends who were born in and ocassionally live in Riyadh (now university in Toronto) and they have told me that Lexus are very popular in KSA as to not be noticed very much; is this true, a Lexus on every street (practically)?
  • Options
    Can someone explain "drag coefficient" to me? What role does it play in the IS 350 compared to its rivals, like the A4, 330i, C 320, TSX / TL and G35?
  • Options
    Basically, how slick the surface area of the car is when airflow is working against the car. Air/wind noise and downforce are the result of good/bad Cd (coeffeicient of drag). The lower the number of Cd, the better.
  • Options
    sdiver68sdiver68 Member Posts: 125
    Did anyone else notice in the Lexus brochure the warning about fast front brake pad and rotor wear due to "high friction" pads. And the <20,000 mile tires even for the IS 250? I'm not making it up, go get your brochure and check it out, it is on the same page as the specs.

BTW, Lucinda, you and I are in the same boat! :D
  • Options
    lucindalucinda Member Posts: 3
    Cool, what's your timeframe?
  • Options
    Oh ok, thanks. Since The LS is currently 0.26 and the GS is 0.27, does that naturally make the IS the car with least quietude? Oh and one more question (sorry), does it have any relation to fuel economy?
  • Options
    Well, the IS has a Cd of 0.274 as per www.Lexus.ca, so it right "down there" with the LS and GS. You are right, fuel economy is a result of Cd. The less wind resistance acting against the car, the less the car has to work to move.