Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• justconvincedjustconvinced Member Posts: 28
    Where did you get 1000 below MSRP?

BTW, my 6'1' friend adjusted the front seat and then sat in the back. He was fine. I sat there as well (I am 5'7"). I was fine sitting there. My difficulty was peeling legs out to get out of the car, as it is low slung (anyone else who stood next to it notice that you can really look down on the moon roof?).

Back seat not a showstopper for me though... if you want room, drive your own car. Or take the iron horse. ;)

What is a stopper is MSRP...

jC
  • laurieslauries Member Posts: 8
    I test drove an IS350 Friday and immediately went to the BMW dealer next door to drive a 330. I currently own a 2004 G35 coupe with the 18 in wheels. The Infiniti has been a great car...reliable and fast...but the ride is too rough for me. Prior to this I had an ''01 BMW 330i and that experience was bad. I loved the car, but was at the dealership every 3 months for one thing or another. Finally, at 26K the transmission needed replaced. I traded it for the G35 within days. Despite my Bimmer experience I was very open to a 2006 3 series. The test drive was good -- love how the BWM handles -- but those run flat tires make the ride a little rough and that's my big complaint on the G35. The IS 350 won me over hands down. Fast and smooth with creature comforts. The cabin felt a little cramped...but I'm the only one in the car so no big deal. Went on another test drive yesterday with my spouse (poor guy -- he was in the back seat and I ran that car around curves). All I can say is that if you're looking for luxury and speed -- this is the car, but I can see why a true sports car fan would favor the BWM. For a female in her mid 40's -- I'm Lexus bound.
  • archiartarchiart Member Posts: 3
    Anyone heard about the availability of IS350 w/MarkLevinson in Northeast region?
  • joemalejoemale Member Posts: 28
    I'm not trying to be negative, but I'm trying to figure out what
    comforts many have spoken of that the others in the same class do not have?
    I'm meaning: TL, 3 series, A4, G35, C class.
    They all have leather, good sound systems, cup holders, etc.
    Can anyone be more specific?
    Honestly, haing looked at all of them, they all do a very nice job, but
    none of them is so unique that they stand out in my opinion.

They all have something to offer in my opinion. For example:
    TL - value
    3 series - great handling
    A4 - elegant and fun to drive
    G35 coupe - best exterior
    IS - perhaps a combination of the above, but maybe just more reliable.

The back seat is indeed small, and I'm only 5ft 6in.
    The others above are much roomier.
    And don't even say then buy a GS, since it is not a small sport sedan.
    I'm looking for small, but well proportioned.
  • gstoisgstois Member Posts: 65
    It's the fastest (automatic), most quiet, best built and likely to be the most reliable car in the class. Although not standard, the available features cannot be matched either.
  • pzykofartpzykofart Member Posts: 46
    "G35 Coupe - best exterior"

First off, your comparing SEDANS - not coupes. Secondly, styling's always goin' to be subjective (even if the IS is generally better looking :) ).

If you want room to accomodate, buy a Corolla. Small and well-proportioned.

Otherwise, get a BMW. It's considerably roomier, but by the same token: it's sportiness and harsh ride eliminates any comfort for anyone filling that "room."

:D
  • chubbymikeychubbymikey Member Posts: 3
    Sorry, maybe these questions have been answered before, do you guys recommend getting an extended warranty? the dealer wants $1700 to extend the warranty to 7 year/100,000 miles.
    second question relates to what people think of the paddle shifter. I haven't had a chance to test drive the car yet, but is the paddle shift pretty smooth? are shifts pretty quick or is there a delayed reaction? How does this compare to BMW M3's SMG?
    The TL is NOT a "small sport sedan." But, if you beg to differ - buy a GS.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    A vehicles drag coefficient (Cd) is what it sounds like, the drag the vehicle is producing. This is not necessarily how smooth or slick the surface is, but more to do with the frontal area of the vehicle; or if you have really big sticky tires on it (will give you a worse rating). .26 is very good (.30 is also very good).

Producing a quieter car is more a result of good sound dampening material and thickness of the glass than it is drag - Cd, (of course tires, exhaust system etc also comes into play…as everything does).

If you are producing turbulent air around your mirrors…windows etc that will cause more noise…and it will also increase your Cd (slightly), but having a lower Cd does not mean your car will be an quieter (for the most part anyway).

A lower Cd is more important at highway speeds (and faster); if your intent is to gain mpg. So if you have two IDENTICAL vehicles the one with the lower Cd should get better mileage on the highway (in a test environment); gear ratios make more of a difference here.

If you look at a Lamborghini or Ferrari, they have pretty “bad” Cd; bad as in a higher number. In this situation greater down force is desired; 180+mph would get pretty scary if you needed to swerve a little.
    Thanks for clarifying. That seems a little more understandable (as far as Lexus having lower Cds than other cars, anyway).
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Yes, but you have to order. And if you want NAV too, you have to get the 3990 NAV/ML package.
    Don't know anyone else's take, but I would save my 1700. Most drivetrain parts should be covered for the better half of 7 years anyway. If you have problems, it will most likely be before then.

jC
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    An extended warranty is basically an insurance policy, and as such it has dealer profit built in - they expect to pay out less (on average) than they take in. The problem is that you only apply it to one car, and they average it across them all.

So, if for some reason you cannot accept the risk (however small or large) of unanticipated repairs, or insurance makes you more comfortable, go ahead. But you should recognize that "on average" it isn't worth the money (or they would price it higher). Tim
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    In the past when I've leased every time the term was up. The dealership would offer to purchase, certify the vehicle, then resell it to me at the CPO special financing rates which are usually quite aggressive.

I also recall periodically, dealerships offer a certification warranty special for used Lexus in the local papers.

From what I've been told certifying a Lexus, Audi, etc. runs roughly $700 plus the cost of the parts which need to be replaced. I personally would not buy the warranty for $1700 but sometimes piece of mind is worth it for the individual.

I usually get rebuttals, from what I've seen dealerships in CT and the tri-state in general operate differently from those in the rest of the country.
  • cdangcdang Member Posts: 12
    Is there any way to install a factory nav to the base IS? Just purchased an IS250 AWD blue onyx/black interior. Really wanted the nav but they didn't have any in stock. Dealer gave me a deal I couldn't turn down so I purchased the vehicle. Now I'm wondering if I could purchase a factory nav for the IS and swap the units? Don't know if this is possible but would really like to get your guys' input.
    No answer for you, but...

What was the "deal (you) couldn't turn down"? (I haven't checked the prices paid forum yet - no need to answer if it is there.)
    Not sure on this, but I believe that this impacts not only NAV, but the radio and heating/ac controls as well. It may also impact the steering wheel controls, by way of the phone and voice activation buttons that could be missing from your car. Lexus deactivates the touch-screen buttons above a certain speed, so there are some functions that can only be activated by voice when driving. Don't forget about the microphones that may need to be installed.

It could be a fairly significant job, if it's even possible. It may be too early to know. I would call the parts department and find out the extent to which it has been done on other models.
  • joemalejoemale Member Posts: 28
    Your comments regarding
    coupe/sedan or size or anything else doesn't say anything in regard
    to everyone going on about the creature comforts.
    I don't see one feature offered that the others in the same class do not.
    Can't anyone here by objective or unbiased?
    THere are many great cars out there folks.
    I just want to know if there is a distinguishing FEATURE
    that you just can't get with the other comparable cars.
  • cdangcdang Member Posts: 12
    glenford,
    Got if for 1500 over invoice. Only base model on the lot. The other 2 is250 awd were fully loaded. I figured that i need a car by December and that the probability that I could get this deal again might be slim for an is250 awd with nav. Even if prices do come down somewhat, I doubt anybody would be able to buy this vehicle at invoice. Therefore, I figured this is probably the best deal I am going to see for awhile and I jumped on it.

gstosis,
    I agree. However, looking at my base is250 i see that there is a blank spot on my wheel where the buttons could go. Also, looking at the head unit, it seems as though the entire thing could be swapped out to fit the nav unit. I'm wondering if Lexus prewired all the models for nav so that all I have to do is plug all of the harnesses in and voila, the thing works. As for the microphone, is it usually mounted on the headliner above the driver seat?

I also have another question. On the Japanese models I see that they have the shark fin on the back. Is this the antenna for the satellite radio? If it is, when satellite radio becomes available in Spring of '06, will this be added to the vehicle? Just wondering b/c I kind of like the way it looks.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    For IS 350: Standard heated and ventilated seats, most horsepower (306), fastest, best sound system (comparing standard to standard, top-of-the-line to top-of-the-line), nicest leather (IMO), a real push-button start, and of course, the reliabilty (I really threw that in because I am not sure what else to say).

Anybody have anything else to add?

Oh, and I test-drove a 2006 325i. The car has some nice abilities, but I just can't come to liking the interior. It is not as bad in person, but it just does not have the substance that you can feel in the Lexus which is one fiiine car.
  • n1danieln1daniel Member Posts: 27
    I know this was discussed previously but I just do not know how some people claim to be 5'9" or taller and able to fit in the back :confuse: . I am not talking about the seat, nor the knee space but the feet!!. I am 5'9'' who couple of years ago got a G35 4dr instead of IS300 because of the tight back seat :cry: . I need to get a new car in a couple of months and I was so hopeful of the new IS350 but grew concerned after reading posts from most people complaining about the lack of space in the back. I went to the dealer last week, got comfortable in the driver seat and sat in the back seat. My feet could not fit on the floor space, so I had to move my feet sideways to fit (shoe size between 8-8.5 depending on brand). Then I re adjusted the front seat moving it forward just enough where I would could still maneuver and not look like some drivers stuck to their steering wheel and I raised the seat, my hair was already touching the ceiling. Just then I was able to sit in the back and slide my feet under the front driver's seat. :mad:
    I know this is a small car but this is a mistake!! The car grew in dimensions and the least they could have done was to increase the back seat dimensions from the previous IS300. By they way they had one IS300 on the same floor and the floor space in the back seat was bigger.
    Lexus will loose a lot in sales because they only people considering this vehicle will be those looking for G35 coupes or BMW coupes.
    What should I get now, a BMW 330i, but reliability????? but at least somebody can fit in the back seat. :sick:
    The two microphones are located in the panel that contains the sunroof and interior lighting controls. From what I understanding the antenna will be located in the luggage tray or in the dash.
    I don't know how you are sitting, but I have owned this car for 1 week and this is what I can tell you:

I am 5'9", 190lbs with size 12 shoes. I sit just fine in the front seat and back.
  • elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    If you want a Nav but already have the car, what about getting an aftermarket?
    Seems like less hassle and wiring concerns.
    I've heard good things about Garmins but can't speak from personal experience.
  • isriderisrider Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a IS350 witht the NAV system and most of the functions on the touch screen shut off at 5 mph. Is there any way around this?
  • natsukashinatsukashi Member Posts: 10
    There is a way to do it, but the problem is it defaults back after the engine has been shut off. In the Lexus 5th Gen NAV turning this off really isn't an issue since you can use voice commands. The key point is to get a list of the 100 voice commands you can use with the new NAV system on the 2006 IS. Anyone have a list of the voice commands?
    Thanks. That seems to be a very good deal - most everyone is paying MSRP, and getting tint or golf balls. Getting both of those (what a deal!) seemed to be the best deal so far until yours. Tim
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "I also have another question. On the Japanese models I see that they have the shark fin on the back. Is this the antenna for the satellite radio? If it is, when satellite radio becomes available in Spring of '06, will this be added to the vehicle? Just wondering b/c I kind of like the way it looks."

The shark fin issue came up when I was at the recent Taste of Lexus driving event. In Japan the shark fin antenna is used for several electronics, including some telematics that are not offered here in the U.S. There were different thoughts from different Lexus people as to what will happen here.

The regional Lexus guy said starting in early 2006 sat radio will be available as a dealer-installed option on the IS. It will have the same ugly magnetic "black box" antenna for the trunk. He acknowledged this was un-Lexuslike and said when XM becomes a factory option for 2007 the car will have a shark fin antenna. This press release from XM says that XM will be factory installed in Lexus cars starting in 2006 but does not give a date. We can only assume that it will be with the 2007 models.

http://www.xmradio.com/newsroom/screen/pr_2005_05_13.html

Now the corporate Lexus guy said he was unsure if, and when, the shark fin would make it to the U.S. on the IS. He did say it will be added to the hybrid GS 450h, which goes on sale in March-April. He then said all 2007 GS models will have the shark fin.

It seems nobody knows right now, but my guess is that the shark fin antenna will eventually appear on the IS, and possibly as early as the 2007s.

I agree with you in that I like the look of the shark fin antenna and really hate the look of the "black box" antenna. Lexus needs to get on the ball and add the shark fin (or other permanent roof-mounted antenna) like all other luxury cars have. That black box is unacceptable to me.
  • s4drivers4driver Member Posts: 8
    This is the reason I am holding off on buying an IS350 for now, I cannot believe that Toyota is incapable of providing a permanent, body color antenna yet. My Audi had one 2 years ago.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Now that's funny.
  • digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    as I recall it wasnt me who first stated that the rear seat thread was deathly overplayed and I agree. as long as the same topics arent rehashed ad infinitum I dont care what the thread is as long as its not stale.
  • is3ooguyis3ooguy Member Posts: 68
    While it might be possible to have navi added to your car (but my guess goes with no), if you really wanted it or 'must have it' you probably made a mistake by taking the car you did.
    By the time all is said and done (besides the time wasted and pain of the car being ripped open to add such equipment) your good deal is probably more $$$ than if you just got the car you wanted in the first place. Labor hours add up fast!
    I know, it is funny, but I'm not suffering in the meantime, as I'm driving an '04 Audi S4 V8. I can wait.
    Antenna as deal-breaker? C'mon driver.

I figgered you was in a 4.2, from the moniker. It's on my short list for May (Avant that is - wagons reign supreme!).
    Well, the fact that allocations in my area include none of the options I want yet has something to do with it too, but yes, 1. I won't give up my XM, and 2. I am not gonna have a black antenna cube with a cord sticking out of it on my trunk.
    OK, now you're making more sense!

I haven't noticed the antenna. I have a black stubby on my car now, and sat-radio means nothing to me, so it's not something that would stick out like a sore thumb in my book.

My beef right now has more to do with having to take silly gadgetry I don't want inorder to get the suspension and interior trim I do want...
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    s4driver, you're like me. I planned on getting an IS 350, but I want sat radio and will not have a $40,000-$45,000 car with a tacky black box stuck on the trunk. I plan on waiting for the 2007 hoping the car gets the shark fin. Lexus - are you listening?! (I'm also waiting to see what info is released, if any, within the year on the coupe because I may be more interested in that.) One Lexus guy at the Taste of Lexus said the lack of a fixed antenna had to do with the fact Lexus is offering both XM and Sirius and not just one. Something will have to give because, as the press release indicates, XM will become factory installed in less than one year while Sirius it appears will be dealer installed only if it is not dropped as an option altogether in favor of XM.
    So I promised to post more on my car when I had a chance.

1. The break-in period is over and boy is it a fast car. It is really deceptive due to how quiet it is. You don't get the cabin shaking roar that is typical of cars this fast, but when I realized how quickly I was separating from my buddy's G35 it really hit me.

2. The trannie is a bit rough shifting compared to my GS. On my way to work this morning it was doing something interesting. I was heading down a hill on the freeway going around 80 mph. I was coasting, and when I hit the breaks it made a quick and quite noticeable downshift. As I pressed the accelerator, it held the gear a bit longer than expected before it went back into 6th gear. It did this a second time on the same hill shortly thereafter. I can't help but notice how differently the trannie behaves compared to my GS.

3. I hooked up my Ipod and really enjoy it. The sound is so much better than the tape adapter that I used in my GS. I know, no big surprise here. The stereo also handles low base better than the ML system in my GS. I listen to Peter Gabriel who often has base in his music that can't be reproduced without creating a muddled mess. I usually have to turn the base down, but not in this car.

4. The turning radius is excellent, and no surprise again, but the car is very nimble, especially compared to my GS.

5. Can't beat ventilated seats! It more than makes up for the lack of the typical Toyota crotch vent. :)

6. I think I said this before, but the bluetooth is not only easy to set up and very convenient, but the sound quality is superb. My wife can't tell whether I'm using hands free or talking directly into the phone. Lexus deactivates the touch screen above a certain mph, but I can use the buttons on the phone and still take the call through the call without any additional effort.

7. The NAV system is great. Very intuitive and the 5th gen screen has great resolution.

That's all for now. Come on guys, let's get some other owners on here!
    You make me wanna cry. :cry:

I so need a job.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    Your item #2 is why a few of us clamor for manual transmissions. They can be shifted exactly when and how the driver wishes, or not.

Costs less to fix & (almost) never breaks -- no electronics, no sweat. I'm at 87K on my original clutch & expect it to last past 100.

I know I'm swimming upstream here, but I've long since lost count of the number of hundreds of posts like yours, when shifting quality issues of automatics are discussed. The answer is simply to not have one.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    It's a commuter car for me, so I wouldn't even buy a manual if it was offered. I can see why one would want one, but speed certainly isn't the reason for this car.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    I commute every day in my car as well, in the ever-more-crowded "valley of the sun" (Phoenix). I don't have a manual for speed. I have it for simplicity, reliability and control. It does what I want, exactly how I want, precisely when I want.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I respect that. I'm just too lazy to drive a stick every day.
    Along with majority of less-demanding commuters.
  • maximus_gtimaximus_gti Member Posts: 27
    don't forget that the tranny is not a regular auto, people seem to forget that. The tranny has to learn the way you drive, which takes sometime. So maybe in the future it wont be as rough, I heard that over a few month, all the rough shifting goes away after the learning period. Also, with the paddle shifters, you can control when you want it to shirt or when you dont, just like a manual. When paddle shifting, the car doesn't shift till you tell it to, you cna take to the redline if you want. just a few cents worth.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    "5. Can't beat ventilated seats! It more than makes up for the lack of the typical Toyota crotch vent."

What do you mean?! I don't get a crotch vent on my Corolla, nor is it listed in standard features. Is this an option that you have to order from the factory?

:P

Enjoy your IS! I know I sure enjoyed the IS 250 test drive I just had today (as well as the G35x test drive today and 325i from yesterday). IS 350s are comming in next week and I am going for a test drive of one.

What are people talking about when they call the steering in the new IS "typical Lexus numb"? I love the feel of the IS steering wheel which is quite thick and much better feeling than the 325i. I was very impressed.

I had the tires of the G35x smoking after I was done with it; it was glory! I will put the IS 350 through the same paces providing my ol' pal at the Lexus dealership lets me. After the bragging he did about going 170 kmh on the track in Quebec and how well it handled I suppose he has to let me do the same to see if I want this beast. I doubt they will let me tear the thing up like I did on the G35x. Now that was extremely illegal!

I love cars!

PS - The paddle shifters worked better than I had thought on the IS; quick and without lag even when downshifting. The ride was very nimble and firm and the engine provided more power than I had expected probably from the great low end torque which felt even better than the G35's.
    Well I guess the crotch vent isn't so typical.

My pickup, 4runner and GS all had a vent right below the steering column.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    don't forget that the tranny is not a regular auto, people seem to forget that. The tranny has to learn the way you drive, which takes sometime. So maybe in the future it wont be as rough, I heard that over a few month, all the rough shifting goes away after the learning period.

No matter the marketing hype, it's still an automatic.

Also, with the paddle shifters, you can control when you want it to shirt or when you dont, just like a manual.

not true. Myself and others have confirmed if you're in 6th and you try to drop to 4th or 3rd there is a multi-second lag as the system computes whether it will allow your downshift. The automanual is excrutiatingly slow on multitap downshifts.

When paddle shifting, the car doesn't shift till you tell it to, you cna take to the redline if you want. just a few cents worth.

Same can't be said for downshifts - especially moments before a tight corner when you want the car in a lower gear...

This isn't a lexus only issue. Of course they could have satisfied both driver types with a DSG.