Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Wheels and Tires

123457»

Comments

• What worries me the most is that it will take a major "disaster" before
    Honda steps up to plate on this. Should send out letters to everyone that
    has purchased Honda Fit..from earliest one to current one and have them
    take the Honda Fit in for a FREE inspection and having the tire/the balance/and all related issues fixed. My 2009 Honda Fit will be paid for next Feb 2013 and I will be looking for another car. There are others with better gas milage (and that also had not proved to be very good for many on this post) and comfort than the "Hondas" that we were used to being so reliable. I will never feel safe driving a long distance with my grandkids and I also will never buy another car that only has a 10 gallon gas tank.
    I get nervous when there is long distance between gas stations when I am on interstate...plus always worrying when one of the wheels will go bad. I try and avoid every little crack in road, the curbs, and anything that might jolt too hard against the wheels. Never dreamed I would have all this to think abt when I should be out driving for pleasure.
    judy :cry: :cry:
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    edited March 2012
    A couple of thoughts:

First, unless the alignment is absolutely perfect, tires are going to wear unevenly. The further away from perfect the alignment is, the faster that occurs. There real problem here is that once a tire starts an uneven wear pattern, it is difficult to wear a different pattern into the tire. That's why the generalized 5K to 8K rotation.

Second, because most tire wear occurs in the cornering mode, even vehicles with perfect alignment COULD get uneven wear patterns. Again, the 5K to 8K rotation schedule prevents this.
  • I do keep my tires rotated and all, but if you look back on this forum, you will see that many of us had new tires and the problems started anyway. To have a new tire or tires and then the tire goes bad--that is our big issue and many of us have spent much money we never thought we would have to spend getting new tires.
  • If Honda makes the Fit without the provision for alignment (rear) than having the perfect alignment is "but a fleeting illusion". My beef is not only uneven wear, which may be masked by frequent rotations, but rapid wear, its evil twin. Uneven wear in the rear has a discrete cause, it is not caused by not rotating. Also, I do not accept your premise that uneven wear is practically unavoidable, especially on the rears. There are MANY cars on the road now which experience no uneven wear on the rears. Why do Fit owners have to put up with this? I just talked with a Ford engineer today who never rotates his Focus tires. He just replaces his fronts with his rears and buys 2 new ones for the rears. This is what I did for 40 years before I bought a Fit.
  • Well, it's been over 3000 miles since I've had my rears aligned to -1/4 degree of camber (essentially vertical) and I can report that there is no cupping/scalloping whatsoever. I am becoming more convinced that this problem (excessive negative camber), seen with many light hatchbacks or SUVs is just a titanic mistake by engineers from many manufacturers. Amazingly, their first remedy is to blame the owners for not rotating. When that fails, they blame the tires. In some cases they have found tires which seem to resist the wear--this would work best if the tires were actually made with the inner diameter smaller than the outer, but fine, whatever works. The easiest remedy however, is to buck up and find a mechanic who is willing to do away with the negative camber by inserting shims in the case of the Fit (from Napa). Good luck to all, if I end up with the problem down the road I will post it here. As for rotating, I am trying to be scientific, which means I have to change only one variable at a time. That means no rotating for me until I get to at least 20,000 on these tires. By then I will know for sure if the cupping problem is solved.
  • That don't sound very intelligent. All cars come with cheap tires and only good for about 25k when they are 36k warranty, only a moron would use that warranty to get the same cheap tires. Go spend $800 on a great set of all season all surface tires for the smoothest ride 80k warranty and the best traction even on icy snow covered roads. Done this with a 2003 eclipse, drove thru blizzards and snow storms for 4 consecutive days, rescued several people stranded in the ditch and lead many others to nearest town driving thru the night.
    Distance between gas stations on the interstate, must be joking. I have never driven anywhere in this country I didn't see a gas stop along a interstate for more than 40 miles. That would be less than 1.5 gallons why worry. Have you ever driven thru Wyoming? that is probably the worst place for gas stops and still I seen one every 40 miles or less on their highways.
  • Hello, I went ahead and got rid of the factory original tires, & went with 1" wider Yokohama 205/50R-16 tires on my 2009 Honda Fit sport several days ago. It has made a very noticeable difference in the way the car feels. It just seems to hug the road better & the steering responds better. I would recommend these tires to anyone.
  • I got a Fit this spring but have a set of one season old snow tires on steel wheels from my prior vehicle. I'm wondering if they are compatible or how I can find out if they are. I believe my Fit still has the factory wheels/ tires = 175/65 R15. My snow tires are already mounted and balanced on steel wheels = 185/65 R14. They both have 4 lug nuts.
    Can anyone please help?
  • m1lpm1lp Posts: 1
    I just had my tires rotated at Walmart (not balanced) and was charged a $20.00 fee for resetting the TPMS. Is this necessary if the tires were not removed from the rims?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,086
    I'm not sure if the Fit's TMPS is a basic one that rests itself or not. If the light comes on in my Versa (like it did on an extremely cold morning the other day), after getting the tires back up to proper pressure, the light goes off on its own after a mile or so. Some makes and models DO require a "procedure"to reset the light. I have a friend who operates a tire shop/garage and some they are able to reset (combinations of key turns and things like that) but some need to go to the dealer.

If they simply rotated the tires and didn't mess with pressures, I don't think the system would need to be reset. (Whether a "procedure" is required or not) $20 seems steep from my perspective as my friend's shop resets the light (as long as it's not a silly one that needs to go to the dealer) if it stays on after a tire change or pressure at no charge, at least no charge that I've ever seen. I'll check with him tomorrow and ask about the Fit and what he thinks about the $20 fee too.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

edited December 2012
    You didn't say what year your Fit was, but I asked my buddy about the 2009 Fit. There's no procedure to reset the TPMS light after you refill tires, just drive for a bit and it goes off. If you check your owner's manual, you should be able to confirm this if your Fit isn't a 2009. Sometimes manufacturers change how these things work, but I'd bet the Fit is a pretty basic TPMS.

As far as the $20 goes, if they drove your car to get the light to go off (something that you would have done anyway) I suppose they could justify charging for their time, but it still seems steep. And consider this story they told me. A customer came in who was comparison shopping for tires, and they had a quote from Walmart and a charge for resetting the TPMS light was part of the quote. Given that a lot of TPMS lights simply reset themselves, that $20 is a nice little bonus and sure feels like a ripoff to me.

Like I said, check your manual and you'll know for sure.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• With your new tires, did you lose any mpg's?

I would feel more comfortable driving through winter if my tires had a little more traction. If it was summer, I would just keep driving with my old ones, but in WI...
  • As far as mpg, I have not noticed any change. We recently had 3.5 inches of snow here & as any Fit owner knows a Fit does not do that whippy in the snow. The wider tires did make a improvement in traction. As far as hydroplaning, I have been in several rainstorms, & the Yokohamas channel the water better than any tire I have owned. I have no idea why Honda did NOT put the wider tires on a Fit, it makes I night and day difference in the way this car handles. I was reluctant at first as I do not have a lot of money, but people, I promise you it will really make your Fit come alive, & the steering will not act so squirrly & over responsive.
    My Fit is a 2009 Sport model.
  • One other thing of mention, the wider Yokohama tires should last far longer than the junk Dunlop factory tires that I only got 40,000 miles out of. I had the Dunlop tires rotated on a regular basis, & most of those miles were highway.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,816
    Have these on my '06 Civic and the car handles very well though I would prefer a larger sidewall, something in a 60 or 65 series. Not going to change though since I just bought new sneakers in August and haven't even put 500 miles on them yet. Really like the 16" size but should have gone with the 60's...lesson learned for next time though I doubt I will be buying anymore tires for this car. At the rate I'm going, by it's 10th year, I won't even have 50k miles on her and by then, I'll probably be ready for a change anyways.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,918
    A reporter is looking for a subcompact car owner or shopper to weigh in on what kind of impact a sleeker design, like the "Furia" concept released in Detroit, would have on their purchase decision. If you own or are looking for a subcompact car, and think a sleeker design would impact which car you buy, please send your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Monday, January 21, 2013 at 4 p.m. PT/7 p.m. ET.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,816
    Started a new part time job the last week of January and now have just over 40k on the clock...I drive 26 miles each way and though it's only a part time gig, the miles are starting to pile up on the Civic. But the 10 year plan is still in effect unless my son takes it which is a very real possibility! But any new vehicle I'd get would have to have 16" tires on it as tires any bigger than this get to be pretty expensive.

The Sandman

2015 Audi A3 (wife)/2015 Golf SE (me)/2009 Nissan Versa SL Hatch (daughter #1)/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS (daughter #2)

• We just bought a new 2013 Honda Fit Sport. Today, at 584 miles, my wife took the car in to the local Honda dealership to have the snow tires put on. They told her an alignment should be done with every tire change, and sold her a lifetime alignment plan for $170. A lifetime of alignments for $170 might not be so bad, mind you, except that we'll be moving out of the area next June. Now I know little about mechanics, but the idea that a car should be aligned with every tire change arouses my suspicion. I've been having tires changed for 35 years and never before have I been told such a thing. Is there something I've been missing?
  • Hello, unless your roads are filled with pot-holes I would not get the alignment. Our 2009 Honda Fit sport model has 54,000 miles on it, and has never had an alignment, & the tires all run true. I have always done what little maintenance there is (oil changes, air filter & cabin filter). I would keep on with the tire rotation. Ours has been a great car so far!
    The idea is that mis-algnment can wearout a set of tires pretty rapidly. Getting an alignment every time a NEW set of tires is purchased is so that the tires get the lowest risk of wearing out before their time.

Yes, a pot hole or a curb could knock the alignment off at any time, but if you don't measure the alignment, you won't know if the alignment is good or not.

But it seems like the dealer really stretched a point. Not only should the vehicle have been aligned from the factory, but you aren't really putting "New" tires on.

So is it a good idea to get an alignment when purchasing tires? Depends on how much risk you are willing to take. Some folks don't want to accept any risk at all = and some are willing to accept a huge amount. Which one are you?
  • pantsdontfitpantsdontfit Posts: 5
    edited November 2013
    You could call me a "sensible risk" as I often take note of how tires are wearing, & keep inflations maintained & rotate my own tires often.
    The dealer grade tires my Fit came with were junk, as I expected them to be. I only got about 39,000 miles out of them, before they needed replaced. If I could have found Michelin's that would have fit my Sport model when I purchased tires about 8 months ago, then it would have them on it now instead of Yokohama's.
    On another note I have an old 90 Mazda pickup that is about to turn 300,000 miles. I have a set of Michelin's on it with 107,000 miles on the tires (honest to God), & never have had the wheels aligned since back when the previous set of tires were installed. I have had alignments done in years past where the alignment was better before it had been messed with, & I ended up taking the vehicle back to have it done over.
    I am not against alignments, but one needs to use common sense & pay attention to any abnormal wear patterns.
    As my buddy who owns a tire/shop garage says, there's no such thing as a perfect alignment. Once the alignment is to spec, regular rotation is definitely the way to go.

I'm with you on the tires that come with new cars. Generally they are NOT the best of the best. 25 - 30K is about all I ever get out of those, but I'll get 55-60K out of a set of anything I chose to replace them with. (Usually Coopers)

• You are dead on. I thought how could the back tires wear out first. I thought I was losing my mind. Great job,
  • jdlm1jdlm1 Posts: 2

OK, this is going to be a stupid question, but I need to see if I have a problem or not. I just got 4 new tires Guardsman Plus P175/65R14 81S put on my 2007 Fit. They seem to seat differently on the rims than the previous tires.

I am used to having the hubcap sit almost flush against the rubber tire, but now I can completely see the outer edge of the rim on all four tires.

Shouldn't the new tires fit the same as the previous tires if they are the same size? Do I have an installation issue that could potentially be dangerous? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you're worrying for no need. I suppose that it's possible that the design of the new tires is slightly different right at the bead of the tire than what you had on before and thus you are noticing more of hubcap/wheel rim. But I think that what's going on is that you're simply noticing something that you didn't before. It's also possible that the rims and hubcaps got cleaner around the edge when the new tires got put on and again, it's catching your eye.

The tires have to seat themselves properly on the rim to hold air. You can do a poor job of installing tires, like putting them on a corroded or dirty rim so that they'd leak, but I think it would be really hard to seat them on a rim incorrectly with the machines they use.

Some tires have what is called a "rim protector" - a ridge of rubber near the rim edge that sticks out beyond the edge of the rim to protect it from curb damage. Not all tires have that feature - and not all tires that have the feature have it to the same degree (some are big and heavy, and some are shallow and light).

So, no, the important parts of the tire may sit the same on the rims, but they may look completely different.

edited September 3

Not to mention that wheel covers sometimes don't quite seat the same as they originally did. The plastic and retention ring can get a little softer from being removed and pressed back into the rim, and the wheel cover might not sit as snug to the rim as it used to. My daughter's 2007 Versa lost all 4 original wheel covers at about 90,000 miles because they simply didn't fit as tight after all the tire rotations.

Good illustration of Tire/Rim Protectors at Tire Rack

123457»