Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Wheels and Tires

Comments

• honchogeekhonchogeek Posts: 7
    I have a 2009 fit sport - I have had 3 blowouts in 10,000 miles with the tires that came on the cart (Dunlop) - they cost $175 per tire to replace, and the tire dealer told me the replacements (Dunlop and Bridgestone) both have terrible tread wear ratings. I would like to force a recall on these rims and tires.!
    I have had a bubble on a Dunlop tire for my fit. The tires that come with the Fit sport are horrible quality. They blow out, wear out in no time flat, and are terribly expensive and hard to get. I am trying to figure out how to get Honda to recall the tires and rims.
    I have had the same problem - the Honda dealer told me there was no road hazard warranty on the Dunlop tires. Not surprised - the tires stink and blow out all the time. They'd go broke if there was a warranty.
    The Fit sport can use the same 15" wheels as the base model. They are somewhat easier to get replacement tires for, and some are even reasonably priced (Yokohama). The tires that come with the Sport suck, and are expensive and rare!
  • jogibajogiba Posts: 27
    "I can average 140 to 144 mpg....but that is driving around 55 mph on highway.. "

Is that a typo ? I bet a Honda Cub scooter can't get 140-144mpg @55mph on the highway. My 2010 Honda Fit might get that coasting down a hill but not at a steady 55mph on level ground.
  • judymalonejudymalone Posts: 7
    just a note. Yep, I WISH I could get 140 mpg, but it should read 40-44 mpg. I should re-read my messages before posting! At the top best...I can get 44 mpg, but that is really on straight hwy, no unusual stops/starts and driving closer to 50mph. And with just me driving, no passengers or any heavy weights in back. With regular driving and running closer to 65mph, I would say overall average is closer to 37/38mpg. And there have been times when things don't seem to add up... Had my 235 (approximate weight) Texas National Guard son visit here and I drove him around...even running AC pretty high..and got some of the best miles ever. I was driving slow to let him take in the scenery, but still expected the milage to read 34 or 35 maybe....but it was right there at 40mpg. This was in hot summer, and guess tires were inflated more than usual...but still don't see how that would have made a difference. I really am clueless abt the HOWS and WHYS I get better milage-- sometimes--- than others.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 793
    Nothing like a little SPAM with your morning eggs!
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    After a year of thinking about it I got a new Fit Base. I planned on purchasing alloys & different tires from the start. Nothing fancy nor expensive, but just wanted lighter wheels & read so many rotten reviews of the OEM Dunlop A31 A/S tires. I am used to Hondas - have had 8 Civics from 85 to 97 (most were 92s - 97). So I understand they don't win award for their smooth, quiet ride. I have almost always upgraded the OEM tires & been happy for it (the one exception was some very stiff BFG Radial T/As which I took back).

I just got back from Discount Tires with my new shoes. I got MB Seven X 15 x 6 wheels w +55 offset. They weigh 1.2 lbs less than stock. I got 195/60 x15 Hankook 727 T rated tires (OEMs were 174/65 x15 R rated). The Hankooks are the highest rated Standard Touring Tires on both Tire Rack & Consumer Reports. I expected better smoother ride, less noise & better handling with some minor mpg loss (1-2 mpg?).

Before I was out of the parking lot I realized the new set up was noiser & stiffer. I can definitely feel the irregularities more on what are pretty smooth blacktop roads - overall there is just a lot more road feel. On the highway up to 70 mph there is no suggestion of a balancing problem, Not what I expected & not real happy about it.

I immediately check the tire pressure - right on at 33. The noise is basically a soft but noticable whiring sound, perhaps due to the fact there is about a 1/2" more rubber on the road than before. Also I realize that the sidewalls of a T rated tire are going to be a bit stiffer than an R rated tire.

So, where did I go wrong with this set up? I am half tempted to go get the Dunlops put back on!!! Any suggestions from the experts here short of spending 50% more for rims & tires? Might a going with the same tire in 185/60 size make much difference? HELP!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    edited May 2011
    It's not so much that you went wrong, but the lower aspect ratio (60 vs 65) will move you towards a rougher ride. Add in the stiffer sidewalls from the speed rating and I'm sure that's your answer.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Based on your response, which I suspect is correct, I assume going down to the same tire in 185/60 size would probably make little noticable differnce in the ride quality & road noise. Correct?

Sounds like I am unlikely to find the elusive goal of bettering the ride, reducing the noise & improving the handling that came with the OEM tire all in one replacement tire. Any other thoughts or suggestions?
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 793
    Just so you know:

Better ride and better handling are opposing characteristics.

But you should also be aware that there are several schools of thought regarding inflation pressure when you change tire sizes. One says to match the original load carrying capacity at the specified pressure. If you follow that one, then the load capacity of a 175/65R15 at 33 psi equals what a 195/60R15 does at 28 psi.
    In the past I have made similar changes w/o significant penalty. E.G., our 2010 Outback went from Continentlal OEM 60 series tires to Michelin MxV 55 series with no ride or noise penalty. Perhaps those OEM Dunlops on the Fit are a better choice than most think for a quiet, smooth riding, high mpg tire. I

Your description of load capacity makes sense. So I assume that if if I had tires at 28 psi I would have the same load carrying capacity & a smoother ride but would also be penalized in handling & mpg.

I am still wondering if going to a 185/60 would result in a quieter softer ride with improved handling characteristic over the 175x65 OEMs.
  • bradv59bradv59 Posts: 1
    Not surprised to see other people having trouble with their Fit Sport tires. I have a 2010 fit sport, barely over 9k miles, and have already had 2 flats. My first one was when I picked up a nail on my way to vacation - I saw the TPMS light come on but was thrilled when I saw a Firestone store a half mile away. Needless to say, they didn't have my size - this was around 5 on a Saturday night - we weren't able to get to our destination until Monday because the only place in town that had the right tire size was a Honda dealership that didn't open til Monday.

My second flat happened this past Sunday night - I ended up with a leaky tire that couldn't be fixed because I hit a pothole at about 15 MPH. This time I was able to find a Honda dealership that had my size - NINETY miles from my house. I had a Saturn LS1 and a 2001 Accord before this and haven't had a flat in the last ~10 years - I have had two in the last two months in my Fit. Obviously the nail is not Honda's fault and maybe the pothole would have caused a flat in other tires, but the difficulty in buying new tires for this car is absolutely absurd.

I have liked my Fit but after this latest flat, I really wish I had got something else. For a car marketed around practicality, this is ridiculous.
    I have 4 15" steel wheels I bought for the Fit Sport. You can buy tire pressure monitors for these rims that work fine with the Sport's TPMS. Note: you also have to buy some expensive nuts to install them. All in all I think it was about $15/wheel
  • johnk15johnk15 Posts: 4
    My 2009 Fit Sport (manual w/nav) has 25k miles and the Bridgestone Turanza tires are about worn out. Even when they were new, they performed poorly in snow. I was dismayed to find out that there are only three tires made in the stock size, and they all have poor reviews. My mechanic recommends against putting a different size tire on the wheels the car came with. So, my choices for new all-season tires boil down to 1) pay about $600 total for four poor-quality tires that will probably need to be replaced again in 25k miles, and are terrible in snow, or 2) pay about $1300 to get new wheels in a different size, along with good-quality tires of my choice. I was happy with my Fit until now, but this has me really upset with Honda, and I am telling everyone I know about it.
    Contrary to the last several posts, there is a wide selection of alternative tire that you can get other than the OEM size. You have to be willing to get a different size, but as long as it is within 2% of the diameter or revolutions (rpms) of the OEM, no problems.

If the tire is 1-2% larger your acceleration & in town mileage may decrease slightly, but your highway mileage will probably increase slightly unless the tire is significanly heavier than OEM.

If the tire is 1-2% smaller, your acceleration will probably increase slightly as well as your mpg - at least in town, due to lighter weight.

For example. OEM tire on 2009 -2011 Fit Sport is 185/55x16. Going to Tirerack's website, put that tire in, click on a tire of that size, & click on the specs tab. There you will find the RPMs & diameter of the tire (a few tires don't list that info & it can take a little hunting). I like to use the RPMs - in the case of the 185/55 x16 the rpms is 863.

Then go to a popular tire that has a wide variety of sizes such as General's Altimax HP. Click on it & open up the specs window. Scan it for a 16" tire that has Rpms within +/- 2% of the OEM tire. Low & behold I find that the 195/50 tire has 853 rmps. If then take that tire size & search by it, I find there are 49 tires in that size. Surely one is just right for your driving preferences.

Another way to do this can be found at Discount Tires website. Type in your vehicle & it will bring up the OEM size. It will also show "optional/plus sizes" & has an icon that you can click on to explain what that means. Regardless or your OEM tire sizes there are reasonalble optional sizes to be had without changing rim size.

OR just ask your tire guy, but don't get stuck with a crummy tire or buy a different set of wheels or car just because Honda for some reason picked a unusual size tire for their Fit. Admittedly it takes a little poking around & if you aren't into research, just ask a tire guy at a good shop.

I have bought tires from Discount for decades, they know their stuff & will match anyone's prices 9just have to present them with a quote) & provide great products & service. Because all they sell is tires & wheels you don't find yourself hearing about your "worn out" shocks or brakes.
    Update on post 157. I took my own advice as shown in post 166. Here is what I found regarding tires sizes suitable for the 09-11 Fit Base OEM tire size 175/65x15 :

Tire Dia tread width rpms wt %Dif
    Dunlop sp31 175/65x15 24. 5.5"? 872 17 OEM
    Hankook 727 185/60x15 23.7 6.4 875 17 .05%Hankook 195/60x15 24.2 6.7 858 20 2.6% (so when actual speed is 65, speedo will read 66.69)

After lots of consideration I decided that I was OK with the stiffer ride, but but not the noise. I reasoned that becasue the 195 has a 2.2" wider footprint that would affect my city mileage - (where I drive most) as would the greater weight. I also reasoned that at least part of the problems of the significant increase in road noise. I decided it could live with the stiff ride of the 60 series, but wanted less road noise & was willing to sacrifice some gains in handling that come with the wider footprint for the better acceleration & mpg with the smaller 185/60 tire.

So I called the guys at Discount & told them I had errored in my judgement and want a somewhat smaller tire. Since the 195s had only 100 miles on them & the smaller size had a $5 lower price tag, the graciously offered to swap the 195s for 185s at no charge. I am blessed or what? They did say this was a one time only deal & the wouldn't put the OEMs back on at NC - nor would I expect them to!

So after I get the smaller 185s on I will update this forum with how that has impacted the ride & noise of the car. May not make a lot of difference, but I pretty confident that I will have a longer wearing, better handling tire then the OEM Dunlops that everyone loves to hate and not sacrifice too much in the ride & noise category.
  • First of all thanks for any assistance...

My wife's Honda Fit is in need of new tires. Any high-recommendations out there?

Thanks Again...
  • eli8eli8 Posts: 14
    hi Sean
    researched a lot about the tires...as for my experience went thru 4 dunlap tires..2 at 10,000 and 2 at 27,000...cupping...they came with my sport 2007
    after much research, i chose Michelin Plt Exalto A/S they were highly recommended for this car....heard a lot of not so good stuff about bridgestone as you may have found out by now (or maybe you havent) there is not a great deal of choice.
    The Michelin are wonderful....all season...quiet...great!! and i dont have the awful thumping i had with the dunlaps.. a little expensive but for me now i want the best...a lot on tires at this site...take a look and happy hunting
    eli d
  • Thanks, Eli....Will check them out. I am just beginning this research, so this thread will help!!!