Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• cajuncyclercajuncycler Posts: 172
    I have my Sonata thank you. I don't need your lemon, if that IS what it was. I have also checked on all the recalls involving 2006 models before purchase, can find nothing regarding a recall involving rotors or a door lock. Glad you're happy with your Honda. Time will tell if it will be a good car for you as will time tell for me. I know what it is to own a lemon. I owned a 1988 Chevrolet Corsica new that was total trash. Before that my first car was a 1973 Chevrolet Vega, new. Need I say more about terrible choices in automobiles. Both of them got rave press when introduced. Anyway, it was enough to swear me off Chevrolet forever and GM in general. Anyway I think I have gotten smarter over the years and I hope my choice of the Hyundai pays out. As you say, good luck with your purchase. ;)
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    TCO includes operating costs including fuel consumption.

Do you have a real heavy foot on the gas pedal and hit your brakes often?

My Sonata, an '05 with the 2.7 L engine, is rated at 19/27. When it wasn't fully broken in I got just under 29 MPG (highway) with the cruise set at 70. Maybe the 3.3L will get a bit less than the 2.7L, but I find it hard to believe that it would be 4 mpg less. And that rotor issue; just how many times and how hard did you hit the brakes for the rotors to warp in only 300 miles? I don't care what make of car, the best to the worst, that doesn't happen unless there is extreme abuse of the brakes (which could be necessary to avoid an accident).
  • medic4txmedic4tx Posts: 18
    The best thing I did was get rid of the :lemon: , however the TSB was on the driver's door handle not the rotors, check with the dealer. If I recall when it was in, they also had a recall to replace a rubber piece in the cup holders. Yeah I know about lemons....I had an 2001 Taurus that was bought back by Ford, I learned my lesson. Hyundai has a good warranty, but only the long-term use will show its reliabilty. :confuse:
  • cxccxc Posts: 122
    "my best of 24.9 on the highway".

You did not mention how fast you drove Sonata to get that mpg. If you drive your CIVIC at 100 miles per hour, you probably get less than 24.9 mpg and your CIVIC will not last long.
  • targettuningtargettuning Posts: 1,371
    was a three time Hyundai owner, a 2002 and 2003 Santa Fe, a 2000 Elantra my son still drives PLUS my daughters 2003 Elantra GT have had no major and few minor problems. Well, the 140k 2000 Elantra recently needed an alternator. This said, I am moderately disappointed in the Civic. I have told this tale before but in a nutshell it has a right rear suspension noise from new...8 miles on the odo. Now with nearly 4K miles it is really noticeable so I returned it on Monday 3 July to the dealer and it was found to have both rear shocks leaking. Yes, they will be replaced under warranty but I bought a new HONDA and now I am going to end up being a dealer customer lounge lizard again. I have spent much of my life in dealerships with poor automobile choices (several Ford Taurus') and hoped to not have to do that again with the Honda. If you scan the Honda owners site right here at Edmunds you will find owners of 2006 Civics with long lists of repairs including failed and leaking power steering pumps and components...power window switches...others with failed and leaking shocks and struts ...different ride heights (which mine also has) left to right in the rear...various groans and other type noises in the trim or suspension...cheap and easily scratched interior trim...noisy lifters and on and on. So, please do not call Honda trouble free and Hyundai a poor alternative to ANY Honda because it isn't what I am seeing. Yes, I will concede the Civic will handily outdo the Sonata in fuel economy but lets see...about 100 hp more and quite a bit larger and heavier car so that is about what one would expect. As I said in an earlier post these two cars don't really compete except for price where the Civic is becoming very expensive for what is delivered. Footnote: I am considering a larger sedan to replace an aging 1995 Dodge Stratus this fall...Honda Accord? or Toyota Camry? Ford Fusion (hell no)..I am about 99% certain it will again be a Hyundai but a 2007 Sonata this time.
    I think it is safe to say that bad cars are the result of inferior parts and can make their way onto any assembly line with any manufacturer. I think we need to understand that mass production will never mean there will never be glitches. I think to condemn and entire company or product line from the occasional bad car is probably a mistake. Like I said before, Chevrolet has blown it with me with the ownership of that 88 Corsica. The car was bad from the get go and the dealership lied on numerous occasions to us about what the troubles with the car were. That tends to sour your buying and owning experience quiet a lot. Today we expect perfection for our dollar. The cars our parents drove and the generation before them did not expect so much as we do and lived with the poor fits, the bad fabrics and materials, squeeks groans and sloshes. We tend to be far more critical today because foriegn manufactures raised the bar on what a car ought to be. So far I am extremely happy with my purchase but I have owned mediocre transportation for so long that my expectations may be far lower than some of you. Still you need to buy and own what you feel works best for you or you will be an unhappy consumer otherwise.
    I spend about an equal amount of time on both the Edmunds 2006 Civic owners site and the 2006 Hyundai Sonata owners site and I have to say the 2006 Sonata has had no reported major faults of any kind. There are complaints of poor fuel economy...if you can call 19 city and 29 highway mpg poor for a car that hits 60 mph in about 6.5 seconds and tops out at about 140 mph...some "sloshing noises that are attributed to fuel in a partial empty tank...a thump in the rear suspension from some...some complaints about the lack of seat adjustment in the GLS model (the LX with power seats takes care of that) and a lack of complete radio controls on the steering wheel. Hardly a compelling reason to avoid Hyundai. Further, all or most of your complaints were addressed by TSB's which I found Hyundai to be quite "up front" letting me know about. I have yet to hear from Honda about what probably will turn out to be a bad batch of shocks from their supplier. You would think that upon hearing reports from the field about an unusual amount of shock/strut replacement on 06 Civics Honda would be able to compile a list of serial numbers of cars built during that shipment or shipments and notify owners of cars within that range to bring their cars in for inspection and/or replacement. But nooooo!
  • jack47jack47 Posts: 312
    After many problems with GM cars I bought a Honda Hatchback in 1984 which I replaced with a Camry in 1989 and then another Camry in 1995. Believe it or not, I never put a dime in any of these cars other than a new battery in the present Camry. Never had one single problem with any of these cars and I was not religious about changing the oil.

Although my experiences with the Camrys was great I'm now considering buying the '07 Sonata based upon everything I've read and researced on the Sonata vs. the Camry.

The fact that the Sonata, other than the engine, is now assembled almost completely by robots is, in my opinion, a big plus.
    I tend to drive not too far over the limit mayber 60-62 mph. Any car that is drove @ 100 mph would not last too long over a long period of time, Hyundai included.
    I can understand what you mean about staying in the lounge and having to get a NEW car fixed. I did that with the Sonata. All cars will have problems no matter what make. The net is full of model specific forums. But the good thing is we have a choice to buy what we want and if we don't like it we can trade it or change manufacturers.
    All true and I hope you find the Civic to be better for your circumstances...
    Well, only because we in the U.S.A. have far lower speed limits (thank God because our driver training and licensing is a joke compared to Europe) than in Europe where many vehicles are routinely driven at 120mph and over for extended periods. Years ago while stationed in Germany the run-of-the mill Opel sedan we had routinely ran at well over 110 mph for long distances on the Autobahn. So,they not only survive but do it over and over. This is the reason BMW, Mercedes, Audi and others have become revered for their performance image.
  • suvwantedsuvwanted Posts: 2
    My husband and I are looking to buy a 'family' car...an SUV (no van:). We seem to be looking at asian made cars...he has a subaru and loves it. We did look at some North American cars and there really isn't much of a comparrison when it comes to warranty and quality. We've looked at the Mitsubishi Outlander, which offers a 5 year warranty (10 years on the transmition and engine) and 5 year roadside assistance. It is a compariable price to the Hyundai Santa Fe, which offers a 5 year warranty, 3 year roadside assistance and lifetime free oilchanges. The Santa Fe is a bit bigger and is a little cheaper. We haven't looked at Toyota or Honda yet....I have a feeling the CRV is above our price range. Any opinions as to which SUV might serve us the best??
  • my GF civic avgs 24.5mpg (50/50). very disappointing. we recently had our worst 22 something.

she chose over sonata month ago because she thought sonata was just too big for her. we almost bought lx v6 for 18750 OTD, then changed at the last minute.

so far we are giving 7.5/10 for civic because we are somewhat disappointed in build quality, AC(not cold, noisy), stain prone cloth seat, small leg room(my knee touches the parking break), no trunk key lock(LX model), radio(am is really really bad)and reverse noise.

maybe we were just spoiled by sonata rental's(driven 8 of them) comfort.
  • just click on "Hyundai Sonata: Problems & Solutions" you can tell it's not reliable. Yes, they have the best warranty because they know their cars cannot last long. my friend has a 06 Sonata, it has problems every 2 months, i drive him back to the dealer more than i go to the mall. so DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI period

If you do some research on the internet, you can get an awesome deal on the Civic. I got my 05 Accord V6 EX w/ alloy wheel, moonroof, leather seats, spoiler, etc for only 24,500$ (including tax and fee and bought it last August) and 2.9%APR from dealer. THAT IS THOUSANDS OF SAVING!. go there w/ a per-approved car loan and threaten them. calculate 5% profit from the invoice price and no more and no less! then minus any incentive Honda is offered = the price u should pay.

Ex:
    1000$ (invoice) * 1.05 = 1050$ - 100$ (Incentive) = 950$

GO FOR THE Civic or an Accord PLEASE! save you time and money!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I see you found the best place for your question: suvwanted, "What is the Best SUV For me?" #16, 19 Jul 2006 4:37 pm. Good luck!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Sonata may or may not be reliable, but you can't judge either vehicle one way or the other by their respective Problems & Solutions discussions. That's all anecdotal data, nothing statistically accurate about it at all.
    Yeah..yeah...why is it Honda heads simply cannot acknowledge Hyundai is in both Honda and Toyota's rear view mirror. I suggest you try looking in the "Honda Civic sedan 2006 issues" thread right here at Edmunds to see how poorly your precious Honda is doing this year. Yes I have owned both and currently own a 2006 Civic EX sedan that just had both rear shocks replaced due to noise and leakage and I am NOT the only one to experience this problem and others have have numerous other problems in addition to this one. Many people are disappointed in Honda's latest Civic. Further since I am considering a larger sedan this fall I have been on the Sonata site where owners complain about relatively few and comparatively minor items. I'll go back to Hyundai after owning this my first Honda. Just read the HOST POST and yes one small statistic here...ME and since I have owned 3 Hyundai's and one Honda I am qualified to comment on Hyundai reliability which, in my case, was perfect on all three with no major or reoccurring problems period!! Sum total of repairs= digital clock display died on my last Santa Fe.
  • jlemoinejlemoine Posts: 25
    I've owned an Elantra since 2002 and my brother was so impressed with it when he drove it he went out and bought his 2002 Sonata. I've got 55K mile on my Elantra and he has over 80K on the Sonata. Neither of us has had a lick of problems and after 4 years my Elantra is still fun to drive and still not even a rattle!!!! Like I've said in previous forums., Civics are good cars but for 5-6 grand difference the saleman would have to have a gun to rob me of that much over an Elantra. It's true Hondas have a longer track record of quality but if you compare the quality differences over that last 4-5 model years there is simply no difference. The Civic should be compared to the Elantra and not the Sonata and in my opinion there is simply not enough difference in the two except for personal taste in styling to justify the 5-6 grand difference in price for the Civic!! Hey! It's your Money!!
    I've read that entire forum thank you very much and the problems listed are petty compared with several other makes Edmonds has forums for. The praises far far outstrip the problems. You want some problem plagued vehicles, check the forums on the Suzuki Verona, the Chrysler PT Cruiser, The Dodge Caliber. I hear so many critiques over the bland looks of the Sonata. Excuse me but I can't think of any more of a generic look than those put forth by Toyota and Honda. Can Honda Taillights get any bigger?? How far up the fenders do headlights have to go before they become THE FENDER?? I am glad Honda owners love their cars. I truly am. However I am a Hyundai owner and I cannot find anything about my Sonata that displeases me. I did however shop a lot before I bought so I did not take possession blindly. You can buy a car because it is "cute" or because the name denotes quality, but don't think for one minute Honda has the quarter on quality or value. Because it doesn't.
  • bryan200kbryan200k Posts: 64
    Last year when the new Civic came out, we went to take a look at them. Especially when I saw the EPA numbers on the gas mileage.

Some nice features, but too cramped for us, especially me at 6'1" and 285 lbs. The positioning of the handbrake cut into the side of my leg at the knee. When I got into the back seat, I actually started to hyperventalate because of my claustaphobia. No joke.

I'm not trying to be nasty in my attitude here. Just giving my personal experience & critique. I guess if I was smaller, it would be a different story.

For my situation... Because of the interior space issues that I have with the Civic, given a choice between a Civic vs the Sonata (for the same money), I'd personally go with the Sonata.
  • sotonysotony Posts: 4
    I hate to single one person out, because this entire thread is comparing apples to oranges. The Civic is a compact car whereas the Sonata is full size, so of course you are going have less room in a Civic.

That said...if you compare a civic to the elantra, its true Hyundai counterpart, you would find the civic on top with regards to interior space. I sat in an elantra GT and didn't even want to test drive it. I'm 6'1" as well.
    Wow!! While I agree the Civic should be compared to the Elantra there is just no way the 2006 Civic has more passenger room than the Elantra, not even close. Read the specs for both cars. I own a 2002 Elantra and I'm 6'1", in the last 2 weeks while trying to decide the purchase of an additional car I test drove the Civic EX and the 2006 Elantra GLS and as in my 2002 the Elantra is just plain roomier, more leg room , more head room especially in the back. Bottom line is their both good cars and the main difference isn't quality but price, I just hope Hyundia continues to be a little less popular I love the fact I don't have to pay the 4-6 thousand dollar premium because it's a Honda. My advise to anyone in the market for a new car of this size, tryem both and I'm bet your decision will come down to personal taste because the quality in reality is the same for both cars. Hey it's your money!
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    we own both a civic and a elantra. we have had more problems(minor) with the civic that has less mileage. we probably will get rid of the civic before the elantra which IMO is a better car but to each their own. Our first hyundai was a 1988 excel GLS that had over 200,000 miles on it with no major problems but got totaled when someone drove thru a red light. My parents had a honda accord that spent more time at the dealer but I would not tell anyone not to buy a honda.I am sure you will find problems with every make of car.
    Sure the comparison is apples to oranges in most regards except one...price. The price of the Civic has become within the range of a nicely equipped Sonata. The Sonata has all the "more" features not available at any cost in the Civic plus the room, the ride, the warranty, and yes, less fuel economy.
    Further, if you do compare it to the Elantra you will find the Elantra also has more standard features and I believe a larger interior. Yes the specs. directly from each manufacturer are as follows:
    2006 Civic EX sedan:
    headroom F/R = 39.4 inches/ 37.4 inches
    legroom F/R = 42.2/34.6 inches
    shoulder F/R = 53.7/52.4 inches
    hip F/R =51.9/51
    cargo= 12 cu. ft.
    total passenger volume =90.9 cu ft.
    2006 Hyundai Elantra Limited sedan:
    headroom F/R = 39.6/38
    leg F/R = 43.2/35
    hip F/R =53/55.6
    shoulder F/R =54.7/53.5
    cargo = 13 cu.ft.
    total passenger volume = 95.4 cu ft.
    So, based on the manufacturers own specs. the Elantra is larger in all dimensions including cargo. If you intend to make flat comments such as this "if you compare a civic to its true Hyundai counterpart you would find the civic on top with regards to interior space" you should do some research first. If you had you would have found what you said is simply not true...oh, did I mention the Elantra is thousands of $$$ less too.
  • w9cww9cw Posts: 888
    I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs, and shopped the Civic and Elantra, and bought the Elantra. I didn't enjoy resting my right leg on the Civic's emergency brake handle, and it just seemed less roomy inside.

So far, I'm very pleased with the decision, and absolutely no teething or delivery problems with the Elantra.
    Well I've been looking for a second car. I already own a 2002 Elantra that has been bullet proof so I concidered the 2006 model along with the 2006 Civic EX and the Toyota Corolla CE. Found the Elantra to be the best choice for me based on my size 6'1" and also the best value. Here's the real kicker, went to buy the Elantra GT and while my wife and I were waiting for our salesman to be free she decided to sit in a Sonata. Needless to say one thing led to another we test drove it and ended up buying the Sonata instead. Still saved 2500 bucks over the Civic!!!
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    I OWNED A KIA SORENTO FOR A YEAR AND PUT UP WITH ELECTRICAL
    PROBLEMS.SINCE KIA IS PART OF HYUNDAI AND THEY DON'T HAVE SKILLED ELECTRICAL TECHNICIANS I WAS AFRAID TO TRUST ELANTRA. ALSO THE DEPRECIATION OF HYUNDAI IS VERY BAD.
    LIKE 20% VALUE AFTER 5 YEARS VS %50 FOR HONDA.TEST DRIVING THE ELANTRA DID NOT WOW ME LIKE THE HONDA PROBABLY BECAUSE OF THE QUIETNESS AND SMOOTHNESS OF THE HONDA ENGINE.THE CIVIC NEEDS MORE ZIP AND STILL RETAIN IT'S GOOD MPG.EVERY
    2.5 LITER I CONSIDERED WAS RATED MID TWENTIES FOR MPG.THE VW RABBIT IS GREAT TO DRIVE BUT CONSUMERS REPORT GIVES IT
    BAD MARKS FOR RELIABILITY.THE SCION Tc WAS MY OTHER CHOICE,
    MAYBE SHOULD HAVE WENT THERE,BUT STYLEWISE I THOUGHT IT WAS BLAND.THE BIGGEST SURPRISE IS AFTER BUYING MY CIVIC I SEE IT IS MADE IN CANADA AND ONLY HAS 15% JAPANESE PARTS.IF
    CAR MAKERS CAN BE INTERNATIONAL WHY CAN'T GOVERNMENTS?WITH
    ALL THE WAR GOING ON I MAY NOT LIVE TO PAY OFF MY CAR.
    PEACE BRO!
    I debated answering this since I like Hyundai products and tend to defend them with vigor. What electrical problems did you experience? Did the dealer fix/try to fix them? Who doesn't have skilled electrical techs. the dealer or the company? I think both do. If you read Consumer Reports or any other automotive publications you should know that Hyundai has been on a rip in the last 5 years with steadily improving quality, design, and reliability until they are consistantly at or near the top in JD Powers ratings of various types. This plus the fact they are being bought by people who NEVER would have considered one a few years ago..including former Honda and Toyota owners who are finding them to be the equal of those brands have already boosted resale value. Wake up..Hyundai depreciation is way up and continuing to rise. I unfortunately bought into the Honda quality myth and now own a 2006 Civic that has had a number of problems common to a certain percentage of 06 owners and I don't like it. I, for one, wish I had stuck to my original plan and bought a 2006-7 Sonata and will as soon as I pay down the mistake.
  • Being a former (hmm, still am, wife has a VUE) GM owner I can feel your pain. I don't know if the quality issue with the current Japanese vehicles are a result of a lot of them being built in the U.S., I hope not, or is something becoming complacent because they are now established brands? I see Toyota has now beat out Ford Motor Company in the number 2 slot behind GM in total sales. I believe the reason Ford and GM are doing so badly right now is their arrogance in believing like they have for years that the American public will by inferior products just because they believe most will "buy American". GM is basing most of their vehicle sales now on high dollar, anything but cost efficient SUVs which are now littering the used car lots as people look for more economical vehicles. Hyundai seems to be on the alert to what has made American buyers angry with the Detroit and now growing displeasure with the Japanese market. The current crop of cars and SUVs coming from Hyundai are far and above what they were just 5 years ago. If the trend continues and Honda and Toyota don't get their act together Hyundai may be the next giant killer to watch.
This discussion has been closed.