Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matrix Transmission Problems

Comments

• jsal3jsal3 Posts: 2
    My standard 5-speed 03 Matrix suddenly shifted from 4th gear to neutral while I was driving on the highway this morning. While searching for anyone having had a similar experience, I found your posting, as well as the postings about Matrix transmission failures around 100K. My car has only 62K miles - I'm now worried about whether the "slipping to neutral" is a precursor for the failed transmissions discussed in the other postings. Have you found out anything more about the problem?
  • sms9758sms9758 Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a new Matrix or Vibe, can anyone tell me if the transmission problems still exist and are the problems only with the manual transmissions?
  • I haven't found out anything else beyond what they told me initially. Once they get the old transmission out, I will put another post about what they said went wrong, specifically. I will tell you that starting about six months before this happened, I noticed that the car was driving differently. There seemed to be a lot of "road noise" and it seemed like the car was working a lot harder to keep up anything over fifty miles per hour. When the car actually broke down, I was pulling off the interstate and there was a loud clank and the stick felt very loose all of a sudden. Then there was a metal scraping sound (which I think was probably my shift plates scraping against each other?) The car would lurch suddenly every quarter mile or so. I kept driving a little further to an oil change place and the mechanic got in the car with me and immediately identified the problem as bad bearings in the transmission. I didn't have the option to stay where I was and he told me to drive back home and he thought I could make it. Thirty miles later, then the car knocked me out of fifth gear and went into neutral. I tried to get it back in and it went into fourth for about one minute and then the speedometer went to zero. It just completely broke down from there and I found myself on the side of the road in Alabama in a grove of trees with the ten commandments nailed to every tree. It was peculiar. I know this is a long and boring description, but maybe it can help you. I would say call Toyota and take it into the dealership for any problems you are having. Since you are at 62K, that is close enough to their original warranty that if something catastrophic happens you are covered. Raise holy hell if they try to say they won't cover it. EVERYBODY needs to call Toyota and make a record of the problems they are having or they will never issue the recall.

When I get my car back next week, I will post a follow up of what the mechanic said.
  • From my understanding, it is just in the manual transmission. Other than this whole mess, the Matrix has been great. The only other complaint is that the cheap plastic Toyota parts fall off all the time.
  • hiddot84hiddot84 Posts: 10
    Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. But, it has happened to me twice already with 2 different transmissions. I think everyone with this transmission problem should contact toyota and they should be forced through a class action suit to recall these matrix's. Other than that I have had great success with my matrix. I just filled up the tank yesterday and got 43MPG!!!! with 165k miles on it.

Update when you can,

T.
  • tarakheidtarakheid Posts: 1
    My 2003 standard 5-speed Matrix has been slipping out of 3rd gear. I have to hold the stick in 3rd gear position (with a pretty good amount of force) until I completely let off the clutch or it will slip into neutral. I brought it in this morning thinking maybe I would need an adjustment on my clutch since I just had a brand new transmission and clutch installed in January 2008. The technician called me and told me the transmission is bad and they recommend replacing it. Apparently the internal gear fork is warn pretty badly which is causing the slipping. I can’t imagine putting another new transmission in after only a year and a half. I love the car. The transmission has been the only problem I’ve had with it. I just hate to dump another $2.5-$3K into it. I don’t know if this is similar to your problem, but thought I would share my experience with you and any others experiencing similar problems.
  • I wish I could emphasize enough to everyone about calling Toyota and registering a complaint about this. I have the number listed in one of my earlier threads. With enough complaints, they will issue a recall.
  • jamborskijamborski Posts: 7
    did toyota replace your transmission the first time? I hope you have a warranty on it. I've got a one year warranty and I think I'll drive my matrix as much as I can to make sure it won't break
  • jsal3jsal3 Posts: 2
    I wrote a message a week or so ago, about having my 03 Matrix 5-speed suddenly shift all on its own from 4th to neutral on the highway. Thank you, those of you that responded to my posting.
    I took my car in to the dealer the next day, but they were unable to get the problem to recur, and so just charged me for the test drive and sent me home with my car. They questioned whether I could have bumped the stick, or not had it completely in gear... The conclusion (for them) was that it was a "freak" occurrence. (I had made mention to the service person about having read about transmission problems on the net, and that I had found another person with the exact same problem. They didn't offer any response to that.)
    I took my car on a 3 hour trip the following weekend, and the "spontaneous shifting" happened again (from 4th to neutral), twice in succession. I was going up an incline on the highway.
    On my return, I checked out this site again, and read even further back in the postings. I came across one posting in which the NHTSA site was given. I went to that site and it looked as though this was the organization that investigated the power window regulator bolt problem on the Pontiac Vibe. I'm wondering if this is what led to the subsequent recall. I found no investigations on their site looking into the Matrix transmission problems or bad bearings. Has anyone submitted a request for an investigation yet?
    I'm including the website here, again:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/index.cfm

I'm heading back to the dealer again. We'll see what they say this time...
  • I am going to pick up my Matrix tomorrow from the dealership with the new transmission put in. I will ask them if that is a sign of what eventually happened with my car. I will also post exactly what they said and any other problems that cropped up as a result of the failure. Good luck!
  • hiddot84hiddot84 Posts: 10
    Toyota did replace my first transmission 23k miles *under warranty*. They said, " there must have been aluminum in the transmission from the factory". But the second one they replaced had a faulty bearing in it *no warranty* 123k miles. However, this one has done OK thus far. I think everyone should call Toyota and complain or contact their State's Attorney Generals Office in which I think I'm going to do this week, so that we can get this thing rolling, becuase if enough people complain then there will be a recall.

T.
  • Well, I picked up my Matrix on Friday. I am supposed to have a year warranty on the new transmission, which is one of the reasons I decided to have Toyota do the work. When I asked the parts manager about some paperwork for the warranty, he told me that it was in their system and I didn't need anything. I politely asked for him to print out whatever he was looking at that would prove that I had this warranty. We went back and forth like this for about ten minutes. I eventually asked him just to jot something down on the back of my receipt with his name and date - just SOMETHING to prove the part was under warranty. He kept refusing and then finally he got exasperated and ripped a page out of his employee manual with information about warranties and thrust it at me. Another employee was standing there and said "I can't believe you just did that!" and he said "She needs it more than we do." I handed it back to him and asked him to sign and date it. He treated me like I was demanding something impossible. I offered to type up something about the warranty, I offered to show him how to hit print screen so that whatever was on his computer screen could be printed out, etc. and I did all of it as politely as possible. Needless to say, I am so underwhelmed with Toyota right now. The car seems to be running well with the new transmission, but I didn't get any explanation about what went wrong or anything else, just a rude man who couldn't understand why I would want something in writing about my warranty. So, now I guess I just wait for it to crap out again after 100K miles. I'm so angry. I am keeping a log of this entire ordeal so that when they finally issue a recall I can demand a refund or raise hell.

I am going to pursue this with the attorney general's office and through the online link that someone provided a few posts back. I am also going to call Toyota and update my complaint file. I like to think that I have better things to do with my time, but I am done accepting poor quality products from huge companies that rely on consumer laziness to protect themselves from any sort of repercussions from their crappy products.
  • bhechtbhecht Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 xrs with a little over 60,000 miles and bought it used. The guy I bought it from kept it in very nice condition and told me he had a new transmission put in around 23,000 miles. At around 50,000 miles I had to have a new clutch installed and now am having major transmission problems. It would not go into 3rd gear, and then when I got it going I couldn't shift down. I tried backing up and an awfull smell came from the engine area. I limped home in the car and now am going to have it fixed. This is my first Toyota, and my 8th stick shift. I drove the car very easy after the new clutch because I wanted it to last a long time, and no problems for over a year. I will also call Toyota and complain and whoever else that might help me. If anyone can help I would be very greatful for any advice, or phone numbers I can call. I live in southern Michigan and am also going to look for a good auto shop.
  • chan9chan9 Posts: 3
    Hello
    I was looking forward to buying a 04 toyota matrix . Can I know that does the transmission problems both in manual and automatic.
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Posts: 117
    The automatic transmission are not much trouble, but such a small low power motor is more fun to operate with a stick shift. I think the 2006 and 2007 don't have manual trans problems.
  • chan9chan9 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply.
    Can I also know of the little troubles faced in automatic transmission if u know them. I agree with your statement regarding stick shift option but actually I have a 04 deal available to me in automatic transmission currently.
  • I'd like to stress the importance of upyourstoyota (great name) message. And I'd like to add to it. Another poster gave the federal website. It is, again:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/index.cfm.

(Sorry, I can't get it in blue to link, please just copy.) There are currently 22 complaints on the manual transmissions of 2003 and 2004 Toyota Matrixes. (Under the "Components" category, go to Powertrain.) They also give an 800 number if you prefer to call in. Enough complaints can trigger a recall. We need to really push on this. It is outrageous nad it could result in someone's death.

Also call or write or use your State's Attorney General's website to file a complaint. Write to your congressman. If this site alone has 32 pages of complaints, think of how many people must have been screwed.

Further, I am thinking of contacting an attorney for a class action. Please let me know if you are interested.

My 2003 Matrix has only between 62,000 and 63,000 miles. Now I'm supposed to put in another $4000 on a new transmission - the bearings are shot. I don't have $4000 laying around. Further, the dealer was trying to find a used one to put in - it would have the same problems as the old and I'd be paying another $4000 in a very short time.
  • Another poster gave the federal website. It is, again:

(Sorry, I can't get it in blue to link, please just copy.) There are currently 22 complaints on the manual transmissions of 2003 and 2004 Toyota Matrixes. (Under the "Components" category, go to Powertrain.) They also give an 800 number if you prefer to call in. Enough complaints can trigger a recall. We need to really push on this. It is outrageous.

Also call or write or use your State's Attorney General's website to file a complaint. Write to your congressman. If this site alone has 32 pages of complaints, think of how many people must have been screwed.

Further, I am thinking of contacting an attorney for a class action. Please let me know if you are interested.

My 2003 Matrix has only between 62,000 and 63,000 miles. Now I'm supposed to put in another $4000 on a new transmission - the bearings are shot. I don't have $4000 laying around. Further, the dealer was trying to find a used one to put in - it would have the same problems as the old and I'd be paying another $4000 in a very short time.
  • I'd like to stress the importance of upyourstoyota (great name) message. And I'd like to add to it. Another poster gave the federal website. It is, again:

(Sorry, I can't get it in blue to link, please just copy.) There are currently 22 complaints on the manual transmissions of 2003 and 2004 Toyota Matrixes. (Under the "Components" category, go to Powertrain.) They also give an 800 number if you prefer to call in. Enough complaints can trigger a recall. We need to really push on this. It is outrageous.

• Hey dissatisfied4, I would be interested in a class action law suit. You can email me if you want to talk more about that: marpants at yahoo dot com (writing it that way to avoid spambots). Also, I don't know if anyone listens to Car Talk on NPR, but their website is terrific. As far as directing your complaint to the person in charge, here is a list of all the CEOs of the major car companies: http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/To-The-Top/ . The rest of the site is great for do it yourself tips and all sorts of resources. We can all draft a letter and attach each of our names and addresses and phone numbers and send in one to the president of Toyota as well as sending a copy to the Attorney General's office for our respective states and then find a news agency to send it to as well (will get their attention more). I think that sending it to Car Talk might be the best bet. The other avenues listed in the previous threads are also great ideas and everyone should take the time to fill out their complaints. Think of it this way: it will take fifteen minutes tops and there is a chance that you could be reimbursed the thousands of dollars that you spent replacing a defective part. A chance at $3000+ aint bad for fifteen minutes of effort.