Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matrix Transmission Problems

Comments

• aleonaleon Posts: 2
    I wrote around 2 to 3 wks back about my 2004 XR Matrix 5spd. I wrote that the transmissions going out due to a faulty bearing. I stopped driving it immediately. Was taking the bus, bumming rides, and always was on other peoples time. I bought the matrix off of a coworker and I came to find out she had an extended warranty on it. My mileage was at 61,0000. I first found out through my mechanic, then i took it to a transmission shop, lastely upon finding out my coworker had an extended warranty that she did not disclosed a year ago... I took it to the dealership. They replaced a brand new transmission free under warranty. It was to easy! I felt truly blessed! Lets hope that this baby lasts!! Also, the dealership has a goodwill program. The customer service and finance department folks are nuckleheads and do not know about what they can and can't do. Climb the chain.. be determine. Get your Matrix fixed. Be Strong!!
  • pannobajipannobaji Posts: 8
    i have posted info on entry 167 and nobody has reacted stop complaining and do something about the problem here is a court hearing about problem you are having TAKE NOTICE OF THIS TRIAL
  • marjomarjo Posts: 28
    Any idea who the law firm is? I'll be in TO this weekend and could sign paperwork in person if they want more people on the case, though I bet their office won't be open. I'd gladly sign onto the cause, I just can't be there July 11. Or is there a court website where I can look up the info?
    Thanks.
  • tuxristotuxristo Posts: 5
    hey,

I haven't posted in a long time
    mine went out a few years back and my original post is #17!! of this ever growing thread.

Anyway, the court case cought my attention and i think we should find out more about it.

from some googling, there is a courthouse at 47 sheppard ave east in toronto .... phone number for their small claims is 416-326-3554
    thank you for correcting the address its 47 sheppard ave east and its the third floor
  • picnicpacpicnicpac Posts: 1
    I bought my 2005 Matrix with an AUTOMATIC transmission and only 45,000 miles on it on June 9th. It's back at the dealer for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. The first 2 fixes didn't work, so now they're putting in a 'brand new transmission'. I'm just sick over this. This is the newest and most expensive car I've ever purchased, and I've NEVER had these kinds of problems with my Hondas or other Toyotas, even when they had 195,000 miles on them! Although I live in Ohio, I'm going to follow this court case and I'm going to send my info to Matrix Reloaded as soon as I get the car back (the vin# is in my dash). Wish I would have done more thorough research first. I live by Consumer Reports, and they aren't showing any of these problems. :cry:
  • gmoregmore Posts: 11
    Aweseome on the Court Case!!!!!

Tell me more about the Court Case. I am in Vancouver, BC, so I cant make it.

Update on my car. Its fixed!!! Yes!! And its running just like new.

Thankfully my brother in law is a mechanic and did all the labour for Free! I bought him a gift card, beer, pool game etc, etc.

It was the main bearing just like everyone else. And we determinded that the fith gear is not broken by the bearing, but by when toyota pulls the gear off to get at the bearing. Interesting. The bearing only costs $50!!! Its all labour, so dont believe the dealer when they say its $600 parts - they are lying. Call up your local dealer and ask what the price of the main bearing is and they will say $50!!!!

By the way, someone at toyota did say that the new bearing will not blow like the last one. Unfortunately, we will not get him on record, but the good news is once it is fixed, your done.

I am also looking out for other matrix owners and when I see them I tell them about this site.

Way to go on the court case keep it up.
    The bearing on the fifth gear is failing and will keep failing.
    The transmission code on the 5sp is C59. Check inside of the drivers
    door where it tells the date your car was made. C59 refers to the transmission
    used in the car. And by the way it is the same transmission code used from
    2002 to the brand new 2009. So they have not redisgned this transmission.
    The expert witness said that it will keep failing. I have replaced this trans 7 times.
    I have approx 535000kms on the car. I have no complaints with the rest of the
    car. Just the transmission.
    Basically this is a slam dunk case. Toyota on the other hand is trying anything
    to get off. That is obvious. Good luck to them. But we will keep pursuing till
    the end.
    If you could get W5 to the court house on July 11 then that would
    be best. It is at the toronto small claims court July 11 10 am 47 sheppard
    ave. east toronto 3rd floor . Any media would be good. The people
    need to know what is going on.
  • canonlawcanonlaw Posts: 20
    You replaced it seven times? Why would you keep doing that? That would be crazy! Did you keep putting in another transmission, or did you rebuild it?
  • jliberijliberi Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I have a general question:
    Is this still a problem on the 2009 XRS with a 5 speed auto as I was just about to purchase this car but now I am verrrrry worried.

any info would be helpful
  • canonlawcanonlaw Posts: 20
    I think it is too new to know for sure. Someone here posted that the manual transmission part code is the same in the 09s as it is in the 2003, although they could have updated the failing parts like others have suggested. If it were me, I don't know that I would get the XRS, simply because they seem to not be able to handle their own power, at least the MT ones can't. I would, however, get a new Matrix S (is that the same as the XR?)
    I am looking at the auto trans not the manual.
    is it only the 5 speed manual that is having this problem?

what do you mean by "not be able to handle their own power"? is the car rolling or becoming unstable?
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,687
    I think you will find that the '09 XRS uses the Camry powertrain in its entirety, not the transmissions that are mated with the 1.8L engine in the '03-'08 Matrix.

As such, you should have no particular cause for concern. If you research 4-cylinder Camrys, you will find nothing out of the ordinary with regard to problems with engine or transmissions.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

Do you know this to be fact?
    If so, that is good to know as I am looking at the 2.4 liter engine.
  • dallasdude1dallasdude1 Posts: 1,139
    Sounds like there is some Asian denial going on here. Fear not!!! I had mega problems with an 92 Camary (that was the first front wheel drive Camary). Everyone was just acting as if Toyota's were so so reliable and this just couldn't happen. Now I see that there is data out there which is consistent with the 92, 93, 94, 95 are just pieces of fecal matter. With all the hype about Japanese being superior, even that has gone to their head. they claim that if the car has one defect off the assembly line (at the Camary plant), IT CRUSHED. Well they missed one in 92.........lol
    Prior I had a 79 Celica and an 82 Supra. Both were awesome and built to foster brand loyalty. However, since that 92 Camary, I won't buy another Toyota. They never admitted to their errors and their egos have gotten bigger ever since. Toyota is living on a past reputation and we all know that catches up with them soon. Toyota or Lexus, they don't have transmissions which they would warranty for 200,000 miles, which they claim is low mileage for their product. Neither will after market warranty companies take that risk.
  • rich505rich505 Posts: 33
    I have a 94 Camry V6 LE with 94K+ miles. I have had some problems in the last few years that have been not cheap to fix: water pump seal leak and the ABS actuator failed. They had to replace the front calipers and rotors when they did the ABS as there were problems with the calipers seizing. The card had been through 12 Illinois winters where copious quantites of salt are used instead of plowing the streets.

You see lots of high milage 92-96 (or whatever year models had the similar trunk lid lighting system) still on the road in Illinois and Pennsylvania where we live now.
  • loudog2loudog2 Posts: 83
    Are any of the AWD models having trans issues? We had an 2004 xr 4wd. No problems. Now we have a 2009 S AWD. Just wondering if I need to worry.
    Can anyone get the media to the court house on July 11/2008 at 10:00am
    W5 / the star / marketplace
    47 Sheppard ave east
    toronto, ontario
    Floor 3
  • rich505rich505 Posts: 33
    I beg to differ again, I just noticed more misinformation in your post.

I had an 88 midyear (they called it an 88 1/2) made-in-Japan V6 Camry. I got that one in the Spring of 1988. It had 165 HP, the 4-wheel disk brakes were not very good, long stopping distances. That was the first V6 Camry and it was front wheel drive.

I sold the 88 in November 1993 when I took delivery of one of the first US-made V6 Camrys. The braking in my 94 Camry with the optional ABS is/was better than most comparable cars at that time. The 94 had more horsepower than my 84 Supra.