Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix Check Engine Light

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    That maintenance light is programmed to reappear at 5000-mile intervals, I believe.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• :lemon:
    On October 7th, 2009, I experienced a very similar situation to what Richard described. In my case, my 2007 Matrix lost engine and steering power in the middle of the freeway while I was on my way to work. Thank God I was only traveling 40 or so miles per hour because of traffic; if I had been traveling faster, I have no doubt this incident could have resulted in injuries and/or fatalities. Did I mention there were four other vehicles involved? After investigating the incident, my insurance company told me I'm not at fault because the car stalled. The CHP and highway transportation personnel at the scene also told me it looked like a mechanical problem. My car was towed to the local Toyota dealership and they've had it since that date. I have received a phone message from Toyota service each day, near the end of the day, telling me they are testing my car, their computer reports aren't showing any problem codes, and they need to keep working on my car. Finally this afternoon, around 4:00 p.m., I received a call from the service manager who told me "there is nothing wrong with your car", "come and pick it up", and (by the way), the daily rental car fee clock is ticking. To top things off, I was told by service I would not be charged for a rental vehicle and have no intention of paying them one penny. Toyota is taking absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for this situation, and I have decided I will not drive the car again because I believe it is unsafe. This is a warning to other Toyota customers...Beware!
  • A mechanic told my husband that he should disconnect the battery and re-connect it. No problems were detected when it was connected to the computer. Ours turned off.
  • I have a 2005 automatic with 115 thou miles on it.Its in the dealership right now getting the transmission replaced for $3900.00.This is the last Toyota Ill buy.Im so mad right now Im considering a lawyer. :lemon:
  • hunkymonhunkymon Posts: 12
    Looks like time has proven you right. It's not only mechanical problems that caused their fall from grace. It's also because their after purchase service is so poor.
  • mscangamscanga Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Matrix and today I noticed this ( !_) warning light on... The marking has a line under it. What does it mean? I bought it from the dealer Certified Used 3.5 months ago.. In the first 6 weeks, the computer went while I was parking it. This is my first Toyota.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    It means the tire pressure is low. That light came on in my Matrix once and the mechanic found a nail in the tire.
  • mantechmantech Posts: 28
    Correction please, The 2007 Matrix does not have a Tire Pressure Monitor features.
    No doubt, I used to own that wagon and i sold it. ;)
  • indgomtrxindgomtrx Posts: 7
    edited June 2010
    It is the tire pressure monitoring light. I have a 2006 and it has it. Check the tire pressure of all 4 tires to determine which tire might be low. Once you've corrected the tire pressure issue, to reset it, there's a button over by the little drawer and below the power mirror switches to the left of the steering wheel. It's the button to the right of the glass hatch release.
    I have a 2008 Toyota Matrix. The check engine light came on and the scope came back with torque converter problem. Does anyone know what this involves and how it would affect the transmission? Thanx

Bob
  • stilldlstilldl Posts: 6
    The 2007 wagon DOES have a tire monitor. I just checked my tires when it went on the other day. You not only have to check your tire pressure but also your spare.
  • On the Matrix the Maintenance light is a signal to have the car serviced - i.e. reminder to have the oil changed and the light reset. No major problems are indicated. The check engine light is another matter.
  • My 2003 Toyota Matrix constantly has a check engine light. I change oil every 3,000 and service regularly. My gas cap is not loose. The codes say it is the catalytic converter, but I have changed the part twice, (not Toyota part) and it made no difference. Our 2001 Tacoma also has the exact same problem. We are getting exasperated with this issue. The vehicles run fine and fuel consumption is average. Both vehicles have almost 200,000 miles. Any thoughts???
  • Often times aftermarket cat converters do not work well enough to satisfy the cars self test routine.

More importantly those engine codes never say directly that a particular part is bad.
    They only mean that there's a problem in that part of the system.
    You (or a knowledgeable tech) need to look at the signals coming from the O2 sensors with a scanner or oscilloscope to figure out what's really going on.
    My 2008 Matrix check engine light was on. On the scanner it came up as torque converter. Had the transmission rebuilt. 200 miles later light came on again. Had it rebuilt second time under warranty. Light still comes on periodically, but turns off after couple hundred miles. Haven't had it checked since the last rebuild, but I'm afraid it will come up as torque converter. It's off warranty now so I'm just buying time.
  • What was the code number? It will look like P0123.
    The torque converter isn't inside the transmission, so rebuilding the trans doesn't make sense.
    Anyway that didn't solve your problem. Like I said, an error code does not point to a particular problem.
    I would take it to a independent transmission shop (NOT AAMCO or Cottman!). Maybe they will be competent.
    edited March 2011
    Thanks cirsuitsmith. I'll have it checked when it comes on again.
  • My last post should have said at the end:

Like I said, an error code does not point to a particular part.
  • omg...my check engine light has been on since about a month after i bought my car...used. computer said it was the catalytic converter.
    car ran fine for 3 years...now it is acting up and the mechanics are saying it is the transmission, but i have talked to a man who owns a transmission shop and he said it sounded like the catalytic converter. i work a car dealership and i feel like i am getting the runaround.
  • My Matrix is 2003, I bought it new. I've had issues with the check engine light coming on over the years. At one point about 4 years ago a mechanic replaced a catalytic converter for about $300 - he had it custom made at a muffler shop. Toyota would have replaced the whole exhaust assembly I'm told, about $2,000. The mechanic said there are two catalytic converters and if the light came back on the other one would have to be replaced. It did not come back on so apparently he knew what he was doing. I've had it come on a time or two since then but it goes back off on its own. Same mechanic charges $50 to diagnose the code so I gave it a little time - maybe it's the fuel cap, who knows?