Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Matrix Check Engine Light

13»

Comments

• The only option is to get a different brand. Toyotas are famous for check engine light being on. Fat Joe at my dealership charged me $195 to turn it off and still didn't correct the problem even though it was still under warranty. The engines last a long time, but everything else is [non-permissible content removed], inc. the transmissions and smog. I guess it's a trade off.
  • I have a 2003 Matrix XRS with a 2ZZ-GE engine with a continuous check engine light. I have multiple diagnostics and repairs done on the vehicle to pass smog inspection over the past 5 or 6 year and have spent thousands of dollars. The light stays off just long enough to pass the smog test and is then returned to me with the light still on. I HAVE paid a Toyota dealer $95 to run diagnostic also. They said the ECM is corrupt and can't be flashed and the cat has to be replaced for over 2k!!

People PLEASE file a complaint with Toyota, so this recall can happen!!

Toyota's response to my complaint is this.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We are sorry for the concerns you are having with your 2003 Matrix.

It has been detected that the ECM for certain 2005 through 2008 Toyota Corolla and Corolla Matrix models equipped with the 1ZZ-FE
    engine and two-wheel drive may have been improperly manufactured.

Your year model of Matrix Engine Control Module (ECM) is not a part of this recall.

Please be aware the information you have provided is used in combination with warranty claims and other customer contacts to track trends with our vehicles. If in the future a Special Service Campaign (SSC) or recall is issued that would cover your specific issue and you have already made repairs to the vehicle, Toyota would review your repairs for reimbursement at that time.

We again apologize for the situation you encountered with your vehicle and we are sorry for any inconvenience or expense you have incurred.
13»