Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Fleetwood Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I'm interested in purchasing a '94-'96 Fleetwood to act as a donor car to supply the drive train and as much of the interior as possible to restify a 1953 Studebaker. Can anyone steer me to where I can find out what leather interior colors were available for 1994 thru 1996 Fleetwoods?

Mike in KY
  • Hey, I'm curious if you ever figured out the problem with your interior lights. I have a '93 and it recently started an intermittent problem with it's interior lights that's a little different from yours. My lights occasionally won't come on after they are timed out by the "Battery Run Down Protection System". So please let me know what you've found out about your car's problem. Also, I really don't think these vehicles have a door handle switch in these years and later. The door handle switch was used to activate the "Illuminated Entry System" by lifting the handle which turned the interior lights on before you actually unlocked the doors. I think that system was replaced by the remote alarm.
  • I stand corrected about the door switch. I went to my car and lifted the driver's door handle and the "Illuminated Entry System" did activate. Sorry for the misinformation.
  • look on ebay for chrome wheels,they have some on there now .
  • I have 1985 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and need to know how to disconnet the power attena. It's always on. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,272
    If it has its own fuse that would be one way; otherwise there is probably a wire right off the radio that controls it---but you may have to pull the radio out to disconnect that.

I guess if this is in the trunk you could pull the connecting wire off the base of the antenna as well.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Thanks for the info.
  • How do I get my a/c and heat to run in my car (85 cadillace fleetwood brougham). Is it because my fuses are blown? or something major.
    Sure you can start with the fuses but if heat AND AC are both out you'd want to suspect the temperature control unit. Do you have "dial a temperature" or is it manual?

• I had the same problem on my 93 and just pulled the fuse and that was a couple years ago.
  • Sorry about the delay. It's a dial a temprature. It comes on but donot blow out.
    So yeah the temperature control unit is suspect or the sensor that reads inside temperature. I don't know where that is on your car, sorry.

• Hello everyone. I am now the proud owner of a 1996 Fleetwood Brougham with 77k on the odometer. I have been looking for one of these cars for almost 2 years, and because 96 was the last year they were made, finding one that wasn't loaded with miles or just chewed up was quite a chore. It is navy blue with the lighter blue leather, and I LOVE it. It is the land yacht I always remembered and am just elated to be cruising in this machine. One downer, I've had it a week and the auto climate control would NOT turn off....the blower motor just refused to stop, no matter what the display said. $200.00 and one new system later, all is well again. I have taken a little bit of a beating over this car, as I am Italian and the jokes about being genetically predisposed to owning one have been nonstop, but that's ok.....jealousy is an ugly thing...lol. Have a great day and Cadillac.....true American luxury paisano
  • I installed a set of 14" wire rims on my baby. My cousin was the one who installed it and he's done this for himself and many other people. Aside from the car looking beatiful like it's gliding of the concrete, the ride had changed. Instead of the steering wheel steered straight, it's turned 45 degrees to the left for the car to go straight. The rear passenger wheel sometimes scrapes against the skirt. He tells me, "That's why it's called customization. Certain things are going to change".
    He's my cousin and I got nothing but love for the man, but he is the type of person who doesn't like to admit at fault. I just wanna know if anyone out there can give me a second opinion on the matter. Thanks
  • Does anyone know where I might find an "exploded view" of the a/c compressor on line)? I have a problem with my 95 Fleetwood Brougham-it appears the cluch (in front of the serpentine belt) has seperated from the main compressor unit! I would like to find a good view of the a/c unit in order to attempt a fix myself....if possible.
    Thanks,Ron
  • sls002sls002 Posts: 2,788
    I think you will have to replace the compressor.
    That DIY job could turn into a real chore for you. I doubt you could replace the clutch while the compressor is still on the car, which means you'll have to open the AC system, which means you'll have to have all the tools to recharge it properly, replace the drier/accumulator, etc.

Also to get the clutch off you'll need a special puller and some fancy pliers I think.

Rebuilt compressors are only about $250 whilst just buying a new clutch is about $125. And since you'll have to take it in for the AC recharge and drier work, you might as well just bite the bullet on this one. I don't see this as a home repair worth attempting unless you are pretty clever and experienced with AC work of course.

• Thanks for your reply Mr. Shiftright. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but the truth is sometimes painful...!Thanks again.
    It's a tricky job and you can even hurt yourself letting all the freon out---and it's really not a good thing to do anyway. The gases should be trapped and re-used if possible.

• autocraftautocraft Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 1990 Cadillac Brougham and I need a right rear lower molding. I'm having a lot of trouble finding one and if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
  • loksrloksr Posts: 1
    IMy grandson has a '91 Sedan DeVille that has an engine Knock and the climate control does not work. I changed the oil and the knock got louder. Any suggestions?
  • Hello Everyone, i was wondering if anybody can help me with the problem im having on my 1996 cadillac fleetwood brougham. the fuse under the hood thats for the fuel pump keeps blowing out and its funny that it only burns out when i make a right turn. has any body experienced this before if so how did u repair it. thanks
  • 1mikediaz1mikediaz Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased a beautiful 1993 Fleetwood Brougham. It has currently 173,000 miles and I've done the tune up on it (air and fuel filter,trans. fluidand filter, flushed radiator, plugs and wires plus solenoid and cap) plus changed the rear axle due to wear and something about a differential leak. With these things done now, up to how many miles can I expect my beautiful Cadillac to run to?

note:before the tune-up, car ran is if it didn't need a mechanic in the world!
  • tomwalttomwalt Posts: 13
    Congrats - I've had mine for 6 years without a problem (except the power antenna I disconnected). Being a used car you never can tell how long it will last or what issues you may have - you'll discover any weaknesses during the 1st year. Keep in mind it is a rear wheel drive - so you need to grease the front wheel bearings whenever you replace the front breaks. Also, if it’s icy out I highly recommend being very careful and turn off the traction control via the button in the glove box. It does OK in snow, but my experience is that the traction control causes the power to shift to the wheel with traction - then when that wheel hit’s the ice the 5800 lb. car is out of balance and the backend slowly comes around and it‘s tough to correct it. Turning off the traction control helps a lot, but it is still a rear wheel drive.
  • panda6panda6 Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a replacement part for my beautiful like-new 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood rear wheel drive. I need the locking unit for the passenger-side glove compartment - mine got broken by a passenger and I now need to use unsightly tape to hold the glove compartment lid closed. The interior of the car is maroon color. Can anyone please help me find this part I need?
    Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
  • do anyone know how to erase the( codes 48) 1991 fleetwood brougham it's the one were the code shows up in the climate control i've replace the 02 sensor i took the battery cable off code still comes up.
    48? That's a code for low AC refrigerant.

• thanx i was told it was the 02 sensor
    no, no such generic code. Besides, this 48 is displayed in your climate control.

• I own a 96 fltwd brghm with only 35000 mi. while driving the car it sometimes just dies out. It will restart after a few minutes or after being parked wont start again. Few days later it starts. Ive already replaced distrb and cap, wires, plugs, fuel filter. Ignition coil? and could someone tell me where that is located?