Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS - Quality that lasts?

cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Posts: 52
I'm thinking about buying a new car and the Cadillac CTS is one of my considerations. I was wondering if owners could tell me any griefs they've had with the car, major or minor. I just want a car that will be as trouble free as possible. Also, if anyone knows any other useful information about the car (i.e. how the 2006 Buick Lucerne is using the '91 Northstar V8) it would be much appreciated.

I have a '01 Pontiac Montana, and I'm very reluctant to buy another GM vehicle, be it a Chevy or a Cadillac. In 70,000 miles, we've already had the transmission rebuilt, AC compressor and condensor replaced, and the majority of the major brake system components replaced, just to name a few major problems. Compared to its competition at the time, at $35k, the car was not even cheap either.

If I'm about to drop another $30k+ on another GM, I want to make sure it's not a money pit like our Montana. Thanks.

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    (i.e. how the 2006 Buick Lucerne is using the '91 Northstar V8) it would be much appreciated.

The Lucerne isn't using the same Northstar that was created in 1991' Actually their has been a few revisions to the Northstar oe of them which allows the current Northstar to run on 87' octane if one chooses to do so at a minor hp. loss. ;)

I have a '01 Pontiac Montana, and I'm very reluctant to buy another GM vehicle, be it a Chevy or a Cadillac. In 70,000 miles, we've already had the transmission rebuilt, AC compressor and condensor replaced, and the majority of the major brake system components replaced, just to name a few major problems. Compared to its competition at the time, at $35k, the car was not even cheap either.

I'm sorry you had a few problems with the Montana. All I can say is they are getting better with quality. GM isn't taking steps backward, but is taking leaps forward in quality and reliability. Sure some models have a ways to go, but it's getting better.

If I'm about to drop another $30k+ on another GM, I want to make sure it's not a money pit like our Montana. Thanks.

For peace of mind I reccommend getting the GM bumper to bumper factory warranty up to 100K negotiated in the final sale of your vehicle if you pay cash, or do a traditional finace loan. The standard 4 yr. 50K should cover most on a lease, unless you buy more miles upfront and drive it further than the avg. person. :shades:

Rocky

P.S. Check out the 60 minutes video posted on his site if you want to get a peek at the CTS interior and grill. :blush:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=110105
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    We have an '05 CTS. This is the first Cadillac for us. I am impressed with the car. We have 22,000 miles on the car and I am pleased with the service. In the beginning, we had a recall on a computer chip. They are all standing around here. Other than that, it has been trouble free.

One thing that you will need to remember is to keep the tires rotated. The recommendation is to do this at least every 7,500 miles. I did not and the tires became very noisy.
  • slopoke1slopoke1 Posts: 5
    My wife has owned a 2003 CTS since March 2002, one of the first delivered to the Washington DC area. It has been pretty much trouble free and is as much fun to drive as when she first got it. On those infrequent occasions when it has needed work the Cadillac dealer has been great. I drive a Lexus GX470 and find the Lexus dealer displays an attitude and arrogance which we used to find only with the dealers handling the upscale German products. In summary the CTS is a great car and do not underestimate the importance of the dealer.
  • cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Posts: 52
    I definitely don't discount the importance of the dealer anymore, especially when the dealer we bought our Montana pretty much sent us out to our death.

6 months after doing a complete brake job, our front pads were completely worn, and the dealer simply told us that we needed another brake job and that they had worn so fast due to "driving style." That was after religious regular mainteance and loyalty to the same dealer. I refused to accept that explanation, and they made me sign a waiver before they let me take the car.

When we got the car checked out elsewhere, the caliper lines were pinched, so it was basically like we were driving with our foot on the brake, and the wheel cylinders in the rear drums were leaking, which explains why we had to get the brakes adjusted EVERY time we brought the car in. Not to mention that the tie rods were pretty worn, and the dealer didn't even mention it.

Anyway, I'm glad to be reading good things about the CTS. I have heard all good things about it, but after such a bad experience with a GM car, it's hard to commit to another one.

So... Just get an '06, or wait for the '08? Hmm...
    Can anybody from the Chicagoland area make a recommendation on a good dealership? I don't mind paying a little more if it means much better service in the long run (note I said a LITTLE :) ).
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You might also check in our Cadillac CTS: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion.
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,685
    where in the chicagoland area are you?

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

Hey, I recognize you from the '06 Sonata board. haha

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. Heard of Northbrook?
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,685
    yeah I know northbrook but not familar with any of the dealers near there.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• Listen, this is not really GM's fault.

Although it seems everything is GM's fault if it occurs with GM cars. In this case, its not your fault (the driver), but that dealer needs to be sued.

There needs to be some sort of action you can take. Not only does it speek poorly of the the people who work in that dealership, or the Brand assciated with that dealership, but also lack of human concern. This goes beyond buying any car. GM engineered this Vehicle to be better than world class, and it is in many ways one of the most advanced 4 doors GM ever made for the price.

This is a matter of justice, you would have had a much better experience if the dealer did his/her job. Get a Lawyer, and sue that dealership for everything they have.

Usually i think lawsuits hurt everyone, but in this case, get them!

Oh yea, and I would wait for the '08 :)
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    Seems that Cadillac needs to get this car to dealers asap. Anyone heard that Caddy may release it early (Feb/Mar)?
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,699

If I had that many problems I would say it is time to look for another car company. You couldn't seriously consider another GM?? :surprise:

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• 1997montez341997montez34 Posts: 201
    No offense cumptrnrd, but anyone who did their homework would know to steer clear of the GM minivans. They are garbage in pretty much every way. They are notoriously dangerous and are panned by just about every reviewer. Sorry you got duped, but it only takes a quick read of Edmunds to figure out what NOT to buy.

That said, GM does make some awesome cars & trucks. My mom and step-dad have a '03 CTS and a '04 Escalade, and both have been very reliable. My father had a '02 Impala LS that was also very reliable. He now has a Dodge Magnum RT that is doing very well. My '03 Honda Accord just cost me $1000 to repair the AC, but that's another story.... :)
  • thebugthebug Posts: 294
    I was told by Caddy of Las Vegas that it would hit the showroom April 07. Orders will be taken at years beginning. I have the 03,(and lovin it) and I too am waiting for the 08. With all the improvements this car will be a hit as well. Can't wait.

The bug...
    I have an '05 CTS with 24,000 miles. I have a rear-end roar at around 70mph. Has anyone had this same experience. If you have, what did the dealer do to solve the problem.
    I posted a message in another forum on here. I have a CTS with 24,000 miles on it. At 70mph, there is a rear-end roar that has developed. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • pbeerspbeers Posts: 26
    I currently own an '04 CTS-V. Bought it in Dec'04 and now with 14K miles on it I've had zero problems. Great car and a blast to drive. I also used to own an '04 SRX V8. Same thing, no problems, completely trouble free vehicle. Having not been a previous Cadillac owner, I can't say enough now about how impressed I am with their quality. All makes have their problems, but I think overall these are very well made vehicles...
  • iarmaniarman Posts: 4
    Yes I had the same problem, even though Cadillac denied it. Finally after very much difficulty, Cadillac replaced the rear end carriage. No problem since that time. Good Luck
  • I've owned a 2004 CTS for 2 years now and have no problems with my car. We get great service at our dealership. The only problem is we have a baby and there is not enough room so we are actually considering selling and getting toyota sienna.
  • I am in the market for a used car and saw a 2003 Cadillac CTS for 12900. It has 102K miles on it so i wondering if the would be a good buy. I work from home so I won't be putting too many miles on it. Plus i get a discount on american cars so what do you think. Are CTS's worth getting over 100K?