Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Azera Audio and Entertainment

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    The price you pay when you want more!!!
  • stcroixboystcroixboy Member Posts: 63
    That is if another 300 watts is worth $550 to you! I don't think so.
    It's not just another 300 watts, it's also the surround sound element...going from 9 speakers to 12. I'm not saying that it's worth the additional $550, but in two ways...they've further separated the Premium Package from the Ultimate Package. If Ultimate is what you want, then you'll pay $550 more. If you're happy with the regular 9 ( don't know where they count 10) speaker system with 315 watts of power, then go for the Premium Package and miss out on all the power options. However, if you want everything the Azera has to offer, then you'll pony up the extra $550.

Personally, I don't agree with this as this is what the Ultimate Package should have been from day one. The Premium Package should be as is with the ability to add some of the power options available with the Ultimate Package for those that don't want the upgraded sound system or all of the power elements.

However, to be quite honest...Hyundai has done what none of the other makers have been able to do. Offer a flagship model that's accessible to most anyone!
  • gamlegedgamleged Member Posts: 442
    "If you're happy with the regular 9 ( don't know where they count 10) speaker system..."

As they say, "Ten speakers in eight locations!" The two front door speakers are dual-cone... ;)
    Actually...the two front speakers are not dual cone. The rear doors are two-way speakers, but in the car audio world...that is consistent with a single speaker.

It would still need to be an odd number because the sub-woofer is a single "speaker". About the only thing they got right was the eight locations.

From personal experience, I know there are 2 speakers in the center dash location, 2 tweeters (one on each front door), 2 mid-range drivers (one on each front door), 2 coaxial 2-way speakers (one on each rear door) and then the 1 sub.

Do the math and you still only come up with 9 speakers. If you were to count the two tweeters that come as part of the rear door speakers separately...then the number would go up to 11.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    I understand that they are cheaper by the dozen.
    LOL

I'm not worried, if I go by their counting method...I have a 915 watt, 13 speaker sound system!!! ;)
  • technishawntechnishawn Member Posts: 26
    The speaker config is as follows:

1 center dash
    1 left front high
    1 left front mid bass
    1 right front high
    1 right front mid bass
    1 left rear coax.(more economical to mount the tweeter in the same enclosure) Counted as two because the tweeter is driven by a seperate channel on the amp.
    1 right rear coax. Again counted as two.
    1 sub woofer.
    All of that equals ten speakers in eight locations
    I hate to say this, but the center channel speaker is two speakers. When you shift balance from left to right or vice-a-versa...you can clearly hear one speaker cut out while one remains on. It's impossible to have a single driver center channel speaker and have a balanced system...it just doesn't work. Funny how they count this two speaker set up as a single speaker.

Again, coaxial speakers are not separate speakers and are only one speaker each as a unit.

Hyundai is splittin hairs here, because the only time you count a tweeter separately as a speaker is in a component set up like in the front doors. I guess they want the consumer to feel like they are getting more for their money.
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    This info is taken from Hyundai service manual
    Single center speaker - 2.15 ohms
    2 front door tweeters - 4 ohms
    2 front door full range - 2 ohms
    2 rear door co-ax speakers (1 woofer & 1 tweeter) - 2 ohms
    1 rear deck - 8" dual voice coil sub woofer - 1.35 ohm per
    coil (they may be counting each coil as a separate speaker)so this would be a 11 speaker sound system ?
    This info is located in the manual under "body electrical system"
    In the Workshop Manual, pg. BE-6 of the Body Electrical System, the diagram shows a single center speaker.

Pg. BE-14 shows the removal/replacement diagram of the one single speaker (held down by two screws).

No guarantees, but it do LOOK like there's only one center speaker present, according to the Workshop Manual on my CD.

With a powerful flashlight, looking through the windshield down throught the grill (gotta angle the light back and forth a bit) I see ONE cone "button." Now, who wants to pop that front center grill?... ;)
    Well...the manual says one thing and the actual components say something else.

I'm telling you...you can't have a single driver (center channel) that operates with the balance control. Unless it has it's own channel driving it, then when you shift the balance control, the sound wouldn't be affected. The dash speaker(s) clearly are affected by right/left balance control. This would indicate 2 separate drivers in that location.

Also, the lower front door speakers...they are NOT full range speakers...they are mid-drivers. If they were full range, then there would be no need for a separate tweeter. However, since yanking my factory speakers, I now have a full range speaker in that location and the sound is so much better than before!

The rear door speakers are co-ax full range speakers, however...they are set up to simply provide rear fill (as they should be). You don't really notice that they are on, but if you fade your sound to the front completely, then you'll notice they're missing.

The sub is merely a single driver with a dual voice coil configuration which is VERY popular in factory sound set-ups with subwoofers. It's still counted as a single driver.

Again, I do understand that you're pulling this info from a manual, but do you understand the complexity of having a balanced system and your front center driver is a single speaker???
    "...do you understand the complexity of having a balanced system and your front center driver is a single speaker???"

Well, I don't, but then I'm only a goldfish... :shades:
    You know...just to kill the cat on this one, I may have to pull that center grille to find out. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...it just doesn't make sense though. However, if it is...they did a darn good job of creating a balanced sound system with GREAT sound staging to boot...using a single center channel speaker. :confuse:

However...I am not wrong on them counting drivers though...a coaxial speaker is not ever counted as a separate system. It is considered one unit. So even if you're right about the center channel being one speaker, then the sound system would merely be 8 speakers in 8 locations. Technically speaking...this would be correct!!!
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Member Posts: 1,190
    RE: 170
    Marketing and sales terminology.
    But don't they realize, it's not the number of speakers that make the system good? It's the quality of those speakers as well as the source of the signal.

I know 3 speaker systems (2 coaxials and 1 sub) that sound worlds better than some 5 speaker set ups. I know of some 4 speaker systems without a sub, that sound better than a 4 speaker set up with a sub added.

Quality, not quantity!!! :P

They could have saved a couple of those drivers and put that money into the smart key system! :surprise: LOL
  • hjc1hjc1 Member Posts: 183
    Hummm complexity... still believe that the center speaker is only 1 not two....Many years ago Jensen came out with a 3 piece home stereo system using a center channel. that center speaker used a multiplex of right and left channel to give a better sound stage. when you use your balance control you get some feedback that give the illusion that your hearing 2 speakers
    I agree with your comment that Hyundai is offering an accessible flagship model and I also believe that with what is included when the Ultimate package is added, it is a bargain at $31K.

I just find it a bit confusing to a potential buyer such as myself when a manufacturer changes the radio a number of times during the same model year.

I have waiting for inventories to start to show up here in Chicago with XM radio which I had been told by dealers was being added to all production as of January. If this production did in fact begin in January, and then changes again this month, there should be a number of 2007 Limited models on lots including the Ultimate package with three different radios and three different costs. (Originally $2550, then adding $200 for XM, then increasing up to $3100 for the newest revision).

From what I have read on this forum, it seems that most owners with the ultimate package have been extremely pleased with the sound system, so I guess that the only way to tell the difference will be to sit in both and evaluate for myself. I have XM in my current vehicle and I am hooked on it so I plan to wait for it to show up before I make my final decision.

I REALLY like the looks of the Azera and a few more watts and speakers really should not sway my decision.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    It is a seperate speaker if it has its own voice coil, magnet, cone and surround. A two way speaker is two drivers sharing one structure. A quality system like an Infinity should use an amp with a crossover to send each driver a different frequency to produce an accurate image.
    My Cerwin Vega in my living room is considered one "3 way speaker" the box contains 3 individual speakers or drivers.... ;)
    I can almost guarantee that the center speaker had to drivers in it. I have yet to see a home surround sound system that only uses a single speaker driver as the center channel. At a minimum...you'll see two.
    Technishawn...you are incorrect. In the world of car audio, a single driver can incorporate a dual voice coil set-up and still be a single driver.

A two way driver IS two separate drivers in the same structure, thus...that is why it is considered a single UNIT!!! Components set-up, consisting of a separate tweeter and mid-driver are considered two separate speakers, not one unit!

Your Cerwin Vega is a home verson of a Coaxial speaker...3 different drivers sharing the same structure, thus...one unit.

See how simple this is?

Oh yeah, the Infinity system does use an outboard amp that is crossed off a various frequency points for the center, fronts, rears and the sub.
    Regardless of configuration and nomenclature, I'm very satisfied with the 300+ Watt Infinity OEM system. Perhaps I'm easier to please than many 'cause for the past 30 years, having owned only two cars (well, THREE now!), each new(er) car has a sound system so much better than what I'd been accustomed to in my earlier car that I feel no need to upgrade any further!... :shades:

At least, not for another 15 years or so. By then, who knows what will be the new car audio standard ready to astound me?... ;)
    By far, I can say that the 315 watt Infinity system is one of the best factory systems I've heard. Personally, I always like putting my thumb print on my sound system. However, liking what Infinity came up with...I went with the Infinity aftermarket speakers. Another Azera owner had asked me if just changing out the speakers made that much of a difference. I told him yes, but he was skeptical...that is until he finally got his put in. Even he was amazed at how much better the system could sound.

The head unit, which is not Infinity was good, but I needed more sound shaping tools at my disposal. That is what prompted me to swap out the radio.

The car audio bug bit me way back in '88 and I haven't had a car that I didn't touch the sound system in yet.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    I also am VERY happy with the 315w system. I am looking at adding XM via the cassette player versus the FM frequency approach. (Have been told by several that it is a much better sound option). Looks like it will cost me about $100-$150, plus the cost of the XM (or Sirius same price) service.

I'm sure you can add upgraded speakers, and that they sound great. But what I have is better than anything I have ever had before.

Not that I wouldn't like to have the new 615w all included unit, but then I would have to pay more and be waiting versus cruising in my Azzy, which I am happily doing.
    I've acutally been considering a new HD Radio deck. Same quality as XM, but no subscription costs! But alas, I just throw in a disc loaded with MP3's and I get the same thing XM gives me...continuous music with no commercials...for free. ;)

Trust me, upgraded speakers take your music into a new realm of listening pleasure. All I changed were the door speakers (two pair of Infinity Kappa 62.7i's). Total cost for the upgrage...$155.

I'm sure the 615 watt surround sound system is awesome!!!
  • jaymagicjaymagic Member Posts: 309
    I think the HD radio would be great, BUT living in Colorado means LOTS of time in the Mountains (hopefully) and up there anything but CD's or Satellite is a momentary thing. Even strong AM goes away much of the time.
    I feel you, I'm not in the car long enough or take enough trips to really justify XM/Sirius. If I was on the road a lot...I would though.
    Like I said a driver consists of a voice coil, magnet, cone and surround. A DVC sub is one driver because the voice coils are driving a single cone. DVC sub allows you to run a left and right channel into one driver because sub frequency are monaural. I will show you mine if you show me yours..... :blush:
    Okay...you did NOT say anything about a DVC sub, I brought that up. The purpose of a DVC sub is so that you can optimize the power of the amp pushing it. Technically, you can run a left and right channel to it, but that's not optimal. The optimal thing to do is to bridge the amp to mono and either run the connections in a parallel configuration to halve the impedence or in series to double it. Depending on whether you are going for SPL or SQ.

The whole idea behind the DVC sub is to increase the set-up configurations that some employ in multi-sub set-ups.

Which after all this, I'm starting to believe that the center channel speaker may just be a DVC driver as well. That is the only way you could feed a left & right channel signal into it and have it react when the balance on the stereo is changed.

Stop teasin! ;)
    "I'm starting to believe that the center channel speaker may just be a DVC driver as well."

"Speaker." Singular.

HE-HE-HE-HE-HEEEE! [s**t-eatin' grin icon]... ;)
    Concerning the center driver...I've already conceded that I could have been wrong about it being two speakers up there. :blush:

However, I had been wondering how the balance control would affect the center channel speaker and that's the only way that makes sense. In this case...the left and right channels are connected accordingly to each voice coil.
  • altazeraaltazera Member Posts: 51
    I bought a new 2006 azera in Edmonton one month ago. I find the sound system to be good but not as good as the oem system in my 1999 volvo xc. The sound is clear and clean but the stereo separation seems poor.

Did your installation of the two speakers improve the separation?

any other sugestions for improving the sound without changing out the head unit?

tnxs
    just turn the unit off. when turned back on it will resume from same point.
    I can say that replacing the door speakers with some 2-way coaxials did wonders for the stereo imagining. Ideally, you want the highs and mids to seem like they are coming from the same source, by putting a coaxial speaker in that location, you do that. The factory tweeter helps keep the sound open and blends in with the center channel.

Two speakers that will work nicely...Infinity Kappa 62.7i or the JBL GTO627, both are 6.5" speakers that come with adapter rings to fit a 6.75" opening. The speakers are also rated at a 2 ohm impedence which is what the factory speakers are as well.

Replacing the door speakers is pretty easy. There are rivets that hold the speaker unit in place, just drill out the crowns of the rivets and it will come off. Then, just line the new speaker up with the adapter on it and mark where your new holes need to be drilled and you're good to go.

Also, you'll want to use some sound deadening material like Dyna-Mat or Accu-Mat (sold in Wal-Mart). Place a sheet over the speaker opening, use a utility knife to cut out the opening for the speaker and then mount the speaker on top of it. This will absorb the vibrations that will create a loud buzz noise on the door panel and drive you nuts!

I know of another Azera owner that only replaced the door speakers and he was VERY pleased with the sound afterwards. If you're looking for more sound control...you'll have no choice but to change the head unit because the sound shaping controls are very limited on it.

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. Here's a link to the guide I created to assist you...

Replacing Azera Door Speakers
    For those of you that have been waiting for the XM radio to arrive, a number of them have started to land on dealer lots here in Chicago. The only visual difference in the radio is that the button directly above the left dial that was marked A.Mode now is marked XM.

The new GLS model has a base of $24,235 and the base price on the SE and Limited models was increased by $200 for the addition of XM.

The Ultimate package on the Limiteds is still showing as $2550, but according to my dealer, will increase to $3100 when the new 615 watt/12 speaker/surround sound radios start to show up in a few months.

I guess I will wait the few months to compare the sound difference between the two systems. Who knows, it might not be that long as it seems only a few weeks ago that they announced the new GLS model and it is here already! :)
  • derrelhgreenderrelhgreen Member Posts: 234
    I just received this from a greater Los Angeles dealer:

"The car you requested, 07 Azera Limited with Ultimate Package (Pearl White with XM radio) is not available in the market yet.
    Hyundai is in the transition of replacing it's radio system.
    As soon as we receive this car in inventory, I will inform you."

So on the one hand I read where XM radios have indeed been factory installed now for
    some time, and then I get this message from I guess an uninformed Fleet Person.

Anyone here know the true skinney? :confuse:

If XM radios are indeed being factory installed, does anyone know what the beginning VINs might be?
    Got to digging this morning with nothing better to do and ran across this: :D

http://www.hmatraining.com/HMA_XM_Radio2006/UI/UI.html

Interesting what is say about when the satellite systems were first installed.
    In effect, I have personally answered my own question as to when these radios first became available.

But one part of my original question still remains:

What was the beginning VIN when these XM satelitte radios were first factory installed? :confuse:

All replies are appreciated. :)
    The vin# on the Limited w/XM on the lot at a dealer in the Chicago area is 182836. If I could figure out how to attach a picture of the invoice, I would.

The GLS w/xm vin# is 192698.

This is the original 315 watt radio, not the 615 watt.

Hope that this helps.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Regarding the picture, if you can make a jpeg of it (camera, scanner, whatever), you can upload it to your CarSpace page and then use the automatically generated code to display it here.
    OK thanks. I just created it.
    Sorry. I am new to this. I think that this will work.

http://www.carspace.com/stcroixboy
    When we say "VIN" that actually means Vehicle Identification Number.
    There's no need to added the # sign to the abbreviation VIN. ;)

What you are showing in your much appreciated scans are not invoices for those two
    examples at your local dealer, but Window Stickers, also reffered to as Maroneys.

Not to be critical and this is only a suggestion mind you, but perhaps if you were to focus in a
    little bit closer to your subjects, the words and numbers might appear a little more readable?
    Using a 22 inch monitor and my magnifer, I have some difficulty reading the information on your Maronies.

It would seem from your much appreciated information, that cars with VINs beginning
    in the early 180s forward may possibly have the much sought after XM radios.

How soon the more expensive $3100 packages will start showing up at the dealers is the next question.
    Will those radios really be worth the extra dinero? :confuse:

Thanks again for all your information.

:)
    You know, I didn't take these pictures of what you corectly call a window sticker just for you, I took them for myself and I can read them just fine. I just didn't realize that they would become smaller once I posted them.

I just thought that they may be of some help to you and others but it seems I have just learned a valuable lesson as to trying to share too much info on this forum.

I guess that I will remove them as I wouldn't want to confuse anyone else with my "newbie terminology mistakes".
    No problem for me to read them!

Don't let one person chase you away.
    Thanks for posting them. Please don't take them down. They will provide information to those interested, if some folks can't read them, well, others can, so don't take them away. ;)

Here's a direct link to the album page: stcroixboy's album.

Sorry so many of you took what I said in an incorrect manner. :(
    I was only trying to provide constructive comments in an effort to help you.

We were all new to this at some time, and how else can a person learn? :confuse:

I did not say that I could not read them, but that I could read them with some difficulty.

As far as anyone removing those posts, either his or mine, I WOULD HOPE NOT!

Read my post again for content. I praised him for his effort, and also stated twice that I really
    appreciated what he had done,
    not only for myself but for everyone here who will read them.

Why did you take my post incorrectly? :confuse:

Well, I'll offer a guess - I think the way you italicize so much comes across as sarcastic. You probably don't mean it that way, but that's how it struck me. And really, few people enjoy being corrected on minor points that don't go to the substance of the post, or in this case, pictures.

JMHO since you asked. :)
    I italicized to emphasize my points, and did not know that in doing so, it was considered to be sarcastic.
    I don't mean it that way at all.

As far a not addressing the topic which is the pictures, that is exactly was I was reffering to when I spoke of them.

Some people here may not have as good of a monitor as others, and may not be able to see the details they would like to view.

As I recall, you saw the originals and were able to assist in them being posted? :confuse:

I'm sorry that my post was so completely misunderstood.
    I wish now that I had not commented at all on any subjects.

Carry on and peace.
    We need to move on, but you are not understanding what I wrote. I'm not saying italicizing is "considered to be sarcastic" and I didn't say you were "not addressing the topic."

I said/meant the abundance of italics came across to me as sarcastic. I may be the only one on the planet who saw it that way. :-)

And I said that few people like to be corrected on minor points that don't go to the substance of the topic.

I just want you to hear what I'm saying because you're response to me seems to say that you didn't.

And on that note, let's everyone drop this and move on. We've made peace, so let's hang on to it and get back to the availability of XM and other Azera audio topics. :shades:

(Gee, I've just discovered underlining, cool!! :blush:)
    If they are not corrected or educated on minor points, how will they learn or ever know?

I likewise did not know that using more than a certain number of italics was considered sarcasm.
    Where is that cast in stone?
    Because we are not addressing each other by voice, how else can we stress our words?

You say that we've have made peace and advise us to move on, but yet YOU continue.
    ou can do this because you are supposedly the host, and whatever you say goes?

I for one will say no more on this subject!