Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera Service

Comments

• drdonrsdrdonrs Posts: 164
    As long as everyone is extolling their dealership's service departments I have to reiterate what I have posted here and over at Hyundai Forums. I own an 06 Sonata LX6 and an 06 Azera Limited and in all the years that I have owned automobiles(I am in my 70's) most recently Acura TL's, I have never had such a more customer oriented dealership. The service manager is an incredible individual as is the main service advisor. This dealership, Hyundai of Westchester in Yonkers, NY is a pleasure to do business with. The purchase experience was excellent, and of course it doesn't hurt to be car knowledgeable. All in all I have no regrets switching over to Hyundai after many years with the same Acura dealer. Of course I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Genesis. :)
    Don
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE: 374
    How did the dealer reprogram shift points?
    I was not aware that this could be done.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    They don't reprogram the shift points, they basically clear the memory and you start the learning process over again. The transmission is adaptive, so it learns to shift based on how it's driven.
  • The TSB is 06-40-007. It reprogrammed the shift hesitation on wide open throttle. It also seems to shift quicker and smoother. I recommend that you have your Azera serviced with the above TSB.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    Mike
    Is the computer memory not continually adaptive?
    Does it recognize only the first driving pattern and not readjust to new drivers or new driving patterns by the same driver?
  • Thanks for the info and I apologize for the late response. The potholes here in Chicago have been unreal this year and I feel some pulling to one side. I would rather spend the cash on the alignment rather than start to replace tires. Bring on summer!
    Oh...I've already had mine done, but that's a programming between the transmission and the throttle, not a changing of shift points.
    Bob...good question. I think the problem would arise from having different people driving it initially, since not everyone drives the same. The adjustment doesn't happen in a few short miles. I know when I got the transmission "memory" wiped and restarted...they told me it would take a few hundred miles for the transmission to adapt.

I think the transmission would only re-learn if a driver's pattern changed and stayed a certain way over a period of time. However, I could be wrong on that. I'll check with my service tech on that and let you know what he says.
    Wow...Chi-Town, huh? I can only imagine how bad you got it up there. I feel you...getting the alignment done is always a safe bet. The roads get pretty bad down here in DC, but this year...we haven't had the snowfall we normally get, so the plow trucks haven't torn the roads up as bad as they usually do. There are a few potholes, but hardly the number we are used to seeing (thank goodness).

I'm ready for Spring to get here so I can put the chome wheels back on!!!! :shades:
  • Had my wife's 06 Limited in to get the auto-locking programmed ( finally, we've only had the car 1.5 years!) but went to a different dealer than where we purchased it. I have also just bought an '08 Santa Fe from this new dealer, as our Azera experience has been top notch.

When I took it in for the settings to be done, I mentioned that the shadescreen sometimes moved or "flopped" a bit on the driver side when going down the road, just annoying when you check the rear view. They replaced the driver side bracket/arm as they thought it was bent a bit. It's back on the road and just like new. Didn't have to fight or argue to get it done.

So far I have had a great experience with service and the sale process at North Scottsdale Hyundai.
  • Dealer replaced the shocks on my Azera with no improvement. Called Hyundai Customer Service (1-800-)-see the dealer. SM agreed it rides rough over less than smooth roads, but nothing he can do. Called Hyundai-will relay to District SM and he may call you if he wants to. After no call, called CS again and asked for a supervisor. You cannot talk to one now, but one will call you within 24 hours. 22 hours later, he calls. Someone will call and let you know status. Week later get a call from Atlanta Regional office saying Distict SM can see me tomorow in Anderson SC if I want to see him. YES! Will call you back in a few minutes with a time. Two hours later get a phone message to call her, but number is garbled.
    It gets better.
    Called Hyundai CS at 4:22 -they have no way to call Atlanta regional office and cannot provide me with a phone number. Call the dealer. Called the dealer, SM gave me the CS number in AZ and says he has no number for the Atlanta office. Called the main "store" of which local Hyundai is a division. They do not know how to get in touch with Atlanta either.
    Called CS again. They can e-mail Atlanta (it closes in 30 minutes), but no suggestions on how to call them.
    Will the guy be there since I have not confirmed I will be? What time will he be there? Why doesn't the local SM know when the guy will be there? :mad:
    This is what will kill Hyundai - no matter how good the cars are.
    BTW, the other area Hyundai dealer also sells Lincolns and I am interested in the new MKS coming out this summer. 15 minute longer drive, but may be time to switch dealers.
    It gets better - again. Just got a call at 5:06 PM from local SM. Somehow he talked with Dist. SM and now he may not show up at all until March 3rd due to rescheduling by Hyundai. Will call and let me know.
    Darn, I'm glad I am retired, don't have a job and can just sit around waiting for them to decide what to do. :cry:
  • 101649101649 Posts: 192
    Thought you had all those suspension concerns straightened out???
  • So did I. Just got back from seeing the Hyundai District Service Manager (from Atlanta). He and I and the dealer SM went for a ride. We then went for a ride in a 2008 over the same bumpy streets. They concluded there was no difference between the two vehicles and that the ride is a characteristic of the "sport" tuning of the Azera.
    Actually, the wallow is very much better and the noise has disappeared with the new shocks, but I was hoping for a better ride on rough roads.
    I can live with the ride, but I wanted to make sure it could not be made better. If I didn't feel it in the seat back so much, it wouldn't matter.
    At least they checked it out.
    LOL The MKS you say? I had the pleasure of seeing it at the car show. Priced one online...get ready to pay a hefty price. After building one up...the price tag was knocking on $50K.

Sorry to hear about your issues with Hyundai in general, hope you reach a satisfactory resolution.
  • Drive an Audi A4 or A6. The ride is rougher. They are more sporty than the Azera. I know. I drove Audi's for 20 years. The Azera rides better, for me.

p.s. just curious why you are posting about the same ride issues in several other topics.
  • Posting about the service and comparison to 2008 as well as the ride. Also, the ride will influence whether or not I consider a Genesis and whether or not Hyundai can be considered a luxury car.
    Still hanging with my Hyundai. Only thing I found better was a 64,500 Lexus LS 460 with an actual offer to sell for 62,500. I'll keep the Azera and hope somebody besides ToyoLex offers good cars for reasonable prices.
  • lapasadalapasada Posts: 26
    I drive a 2007 Azera Limited and had my first oil change at 1500 miles since I had the car three months. Brought it in at 6 months for my second oil change and only had 2,400 miles on the odometer. Should I continue to have my oil changed every 3 months or can I drive it longer. 99.9% of my driving is in Las Vegas traffic. Very seldom get over 45 mph. Next question, if I don't change my oil every three months as quoted in the service manual, can they void my drive train warranty?
    Thank you.
  • gamlegedgamleged Posts: 442
    To keep your warranty intact, the 7,500 miles OR 6 month interval is necessary. Now I don't know how a dealer could or would say that you should be using the 3000 mile/3 month "severe usage" interval unless you bring your car in covered in desert dust or caked with salt from Bonneville.

As it happens, I have the oil/filter changed every 3750 miles, mainly because I did that with my old '90 Accord (I still have it) which uses (leaks, actually) less than one quart between changes and is maybe 3000 miles shy of a quarter of a million miles... :shades:
  • grayfoxgrayfox Posts: 166
    Do we have a sealed battery in the Azeras or should the top cover be removed to service the battery with distilled water?
    You shouldn't have to touch the battery and if you do (providing you're still within the bumper-to-bumper warranty parameters) Hyundai should be taking care of it for you.
  • grayfoxgrayfox Posts: 166
    Thanks allmet33. Nothing wrong with my battery but I wanted to keep it that way with appropriate servicing.
    Last conversation I had with the service manager, he mentioned that the factory battery is a 5 year battery and should never need anything...under normal circumstances.

Mine has only been jumped once in 2 years and that's only because I have an aftermarket sound system and I played it too long with the car off and it ran the battery down. However, since that jump...no problems at all.
    24 months/ unlimited mileage..check your warranty..Korean batteries are not the best ones available.....
    Unless you pay for the extended warranty...which I did. However, what you're stating is for battery coverage...the actual battery itself is supposed to be a 60 month battery (as told to me by the service dept. manager).

Concerning "Korean" batteries...the one in my '02 Sonata was still going strong when I traded it in 4 years (105K miles) later.
    Might be pro rated for 60 months, but i doubt it..I have an 01 Santa Fe with 120k and an 02 Sonata with 55k; both original Korean batteries died after just 24 months of service for each vehicle...I have top of the line Interstate's in both now and they have never needed a jump or charge...My 06 Azera has the Platinum Interstate now (factory battery is out of warranty) and I use the original Factory as a spare jumper battery just in case..
    Wow...I wonder what happened! The only issue I had was a bad voltage regulator, which ended up killing the original battery that came with the car (within the 1st 6 mos). The part was replaced, a new factory battery was installed and like I said...4 years later (105K miles)...it was still going strong.

I wonder if they were putting different batteries in different batches of cars.

My '06 Azera is 2 years old with almost 47k miles and it's still on the original battery, which was jumped once but running it down was my fault. I haven't had any problems with it since it has been jumped though.

You're definitely a fan of Hyundai!!! ;) If I can find a way to keep my Azera AND get the Genesis...I'll be one happy camper.
  • harrytddharrytdd Posts: 29
    I am a new owner of a '07 Azera and recently brought the car in for the first oil change after 3500 miles. I asked the service manager about the suspension problem reported in the forums...he did print the TSB re: struts. I then made an appt. to have this checked out. The following week, he and the factory engr. rep. drove my Azera and did not find any noise problems, and declared that the car was operating normally and did not require any strut replacement. I was charged $140. and sent on my way. Is this how the Hyundai "warranty" works???????????
    Sounds like you got hosed for real. There is NO way that you should have been charged at all for any of that...even if the struts needed to be replaced. I would contact Hyundai Corp. directly, lodge a complaint and get your money refunded to you.

Personally, I would have argued the issue on the spot and threatened to bring a lawyer in on it. They can't possibly charge you for simply looking at the issue you presented only to determin nothing needed to be done.
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    The following week, he and the factory engr. rep. drove my Azera and did not find any noise problems, and declared that the car was operating normally and did not require any strut replacement. I was charged $140. and sent on my way. Is this how the Hyundai "warranty" works???????????

Azera owners hope not. Your dealer is in the majority, the norm, the Hyundai bottom feeders. It starts in sales and trickles right over to the service department.

The classic example is charging the owner $45.00 to set the door locks, EZ out seat, limp home, etc. This, because sales doesn't inform the buyer at time of delivery, the new owner then reads the manuel and discovers the options, and for service it's a cash cow because the new owner has it "written up" during the first oil change.

Azera is value and an enjoyable ride. Will I consider the upgraded Genesis when my Azera comes off lease? Will the few Azera owners in the US continue to tolerate step-child treatment from third world dual or multi-brand dealers where Hyundai is the step child? Doubtful. Will Fountain Valley or Korea address the dealer problem in the US? They obviously can't, or won't.
    Dborth...I actually didn't know about getting the door locks, limp home mode and driver's seat settings done until I came across this forum 3 months into ownership. Lucky for me, the Hyundai Corp. rep was present when I asked about it and he said it should be done free of charge. Because earlier, I had called the service department and inquired about it and they said, "$49.95."

So, I asked the rep to go into the service dept. with me so he could inform them it would be free of charge.

As far as step-child treatment from dealers...it's safe to say that not all Hyundai dealers are like that. There are more than need be tolerated and I feel sorry for those that have no choice but to deal with them. With the Genesis on the horizon...dealer attitude will have to be addressed if Hyundai wants to be taken seriously.
This discussion has been closed.