Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS 450h Audio/Entertainment Questions

gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,690
edited March 6 in Lexus
I think a more serious limitation is no factory XM or Sirius. After having it in my GMC I would not buy a car that did not have it installed. I know several RX400h owners complained of not being able to get XM that integrated seamlessly with the other audio components. Honda offers XM standard in the Accord EX.

Comments

• Are any of you new GS 450h owners going to do the DVD over-ride (so DVDs can play while you drive)?
  • gs450hgs450h Posts: 49
    I was at my dealer today and asked him about the status of Sirius for the GS 450h. He said Lexus was not satisfied with some issues with Sirius in the GS cars and they hope to have this situation resolved by June. He also showed me a demo GS 430 where they had installed an adapter to allow the use of an iPod. This is a device produced by Vais(www.vaistech.com). It "disables" the controls on the iPod and allows all functions to be control on the main unit and the steering wheel. The main unit display "thinks" the iPod is a CD and it displays the playlists and song titles. It seemed to work very well, but due to Apple iPod compression, the sound quality, although very good, is not as good as on a CD directly. Is is also possible to use the iPod with a cassette adapter. When doing so, you must use the iPod controls for everything. The sound quality is certainly much better than with an FM modulator.
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Posts: 75
    Has anyone found a car audio shop able to bypass the in motion DVD block? I haven't ever used these kinds of places -- should I be concerned about having them alter the electronics? My 3 children would be far better passengers if I could have it working.

In a related issue, I do find it annoying that I can't dial a phone number while the car's in motion -- it only allows me to use the speed buttons. I figure Lexus designed it this way to avoid liability. The voice dialing is tedious and error prone.
  • Do you recall where the Sirius antenna was mounted? Can you confirm AUX port in the center storage?
    Thanks.
  • trungustrungus Posts: 4
    The Sirius antenna is placed inconspicuously on the inside front windshield just to the right of the rearview mirror, thus nothing is visible outside of the vehicle, and the rearview mirror partially hides it from the vantage point of the driver. I cannot confirm the presence of an AUX port in the center storage.
    No comm port of any sort in the center storage. Only a power outlet.
  • zeroohmzeroohm Posts: 7
    I love this car but can I play my favorite tunes saved on my MP3 player? Does anyone know if there is an AUX port? I saw a posting that there is none in the center console but does that mean there is none anywhere?
  • ptpro3ptpro3 Posts: 5
    There's a tape deck so worst case scenario, you can use a tape adapter.
    Yes but that is a horrible way to use a high end sound system. The quality will be subpar. An AUX input is the only way to go. I am so addicted to my player that I think I would even avoid buying this car if it does not have it. I am a few months away from making that decision anyway...
  • ideleidele Posts: 200
    Check this site:
    http://www.vaistech.com/home.html
    Dealers install these. Control from ipod.
    I just got my GS450h and the (premium) sound system is spectacular. Even better than on the RX400h, which had an excellent premium system,
    that I traded in. And the quietness of the car greatly enhances listening.
    This looks like a good solution -- I'm checking with my dealer regarding installation.
    Another route to go is burning your MP3's (or WMA's) onto a DVD, which the disc player will handle. That's going to support an awful lot of music. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure whether the song and artist info is displayed, nor how the navigation works, but it seems like a reasonable workaround.
  • ideleidele Posts: 200
    I got the information from my dealer. Probably every Lexus dealer knows about it.
    Maybe this will get too technical but is the dealer installed AUX input a direct analog input or do they use an FM modulator? If you have to switch your radio to an FM station (like 87.9) to listen then it is an FM modulator. The sound quality of those are OK but not nearly as good as a direct connection.
    I cannot burn the tracks onto a CD because I use a subscription music service and the tracks can only be played on the player. That means I get to choose from millions of artists for $15 per month. But since I only rent, I cannot burn.
    Let me know if your iPod is played through the FM radio or if there is a separate AUX button to listen.
    BTW - I just checked the web site posted by idele (http://www.vaistech.com/home.html)and if that is the solution they use all is good in my world. It looks like a true direct AUX connection (not a modulator). That is very cool. Now there is no reason not to buy this car!
  • alp8alp8 Posts: 656
    I love how we make a decision on a $60,000 car based on whether our $200 audio device will work with it!! LOL

Believe me, I am also laughing at myself, not at you.

At least this car has an apparent solution. Imagine if you were in love with a Volvo!! Yikes, do those folks have iPod issues.
  • hendjazhendjaz Posts: 155
    I have XM fully integrated into my 450h. There are three SAT categories of six presets for a total of 18 presets for your favorite XM stations. Works great. I have more music available than I can ever listen too with the CD/DVD changer for supplement to the XM.

The satellite radio is a dealer installed option but the car comes with the wiring in place so it is a pretty quick install at the dealer and as I say is fully integrated into the NAV screen and ML audio system. I have had XM for two years and also would not go without it so I am a happy camper with the 450h/XM combo.
    alp8, you are right. It seems ridiculous to let a $200 toy govern the purchase of a $60k car. That is unless you are as addicted to that $200 toy as I am. I guess maybe you are...
    I have never tried satellite radio because Rhapsody got me first. My MP3 keeps on playing even in tunnels and parking garages. But keeping the player up to date is more work.
    Anyway, this forum is really about a car, not music. And now I want this car more than ever!
    Does anyone think we will ever be able to pay less than sticker price??? I hate paying sticker price.
  • ptpro3ptpro3 Posts: 5
    Yea Rhapsody subscription is great. I have it on my cell phone. I only wish I could control the music player through the steering wheel or Nav screen. That's the holy grail of connectivity...
  • gs450hgs450h Posts: 49
    There is a very good aftermarket interface for about $300 that lets you connect your Ipod and control everything on the screen and steering whell. Lexus of Rockville in Maryland is installing these for customers
  • trungustrungus Posts: 4
    If this is the SoundLinQ system that you are talking about, then it is a very good system because my brother-in-law put it into his RXh and it sounds great with the text iPod appearing on the LCD screen. Of course with the GSh, the text will show up on the nav screen.

BTW, 340hp is a more rounded number, anyways!!!
  • I tried burning onto DVD, couldn't get it to read. No problem with burning MP3's onto CD. Owner's manual does not list DVD as acceptable medium for MP3's. Anyone with other experience (i.e., successful with MP3's on DVD?)
This discussion has been closed.