Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Towing with the Highlander Hybrid

124»

Comments

• stevegoldstevegold Posts: 185
    Don't buy a 2006 HH or any other year. There is no savings and some owners are having $6-8,000 repair problems. We have a Prius which is great and an HH which works but produces no real savings.
  • pesto1pesto1 Posts: 2
    Hello. I am about to buy a Highlander for the family. I have a medium sized camper that, honestly, has a fair amount of tongue weight since it has a storage compartment up front. I am interested in the hybrid, but am concerned about its capacity to tow and about reliability - I can't say I've knowingly ever seen one here in SW Michigan. I'd sure appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Dave
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    FWD vehicles, or even F/awd vehicles, are quite bad enough insofar as driving dynamics, driveability, are concerned. But a "high" tow tongue weight might well make matters much worse.

And remember that without self-braking of the tow during braking the torque "weight" will increase and lighten the front even moreso.
  • casitacasita Posts: 2
    what does "quite bad enough insorfar as driving dynamics" mean?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    edited April 2011
    With FWD you're relying on ONLY the traction of the front tires for both directional control, steering, and engine drive torque or compression braking. That's why when things get dicey, icy, a FWD has such a strong tendency to plow, understear.

The only known correction for that situation is to quickly slow the vehicle and thereby reduce the momentum that wants to take the weight of the vehicle in the direction it was just previously traveling. In the olden days a light touch on the e-brake would help to do that. Nowadays VSC, if you have it, automatically takes over the task of braking both rear wheels or braking only the rear wheel that "swings" the pendulum in the direction you wish to go.

Load up the rear of a FWD and you have effectively reduced front tire traction. That situation gets even worse during braking when the "weight" on the trailer hitch increases. That's why I would ALWAYS advise have some sort of braking on the vehicle/trailer you are towing, RWD or FWD.
124»
This discussion has been closed.