Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Forenza Troubles

Comments

• jeng2jeng2 Posts: 2
    Hi! I have an '06 Forenza that I have just recently been having problems with. My first was the check engine light - Took it to Suzuki dealer and it ended up being a "Gas Cap" issue. Meaning the gasket around the gas cap wasn't "Sealing" properly. They fixed it. Yeah!

Next problem: Steering wheel light with Exclaimation point! (left side of dash). This light repeatedly comes on - mostly in cold weather I am seeing (I live in MN). Took it to the dealer TWICE. First time, they couldn't find the problem - said it was "Low Steering Wheel fluid". They topped it off. Next day, Lights on again - drive car back (46 miles) and they find out it's a wire that is sorta loose and needed to be pushed back in ....$100 later and I'm on my way - - next day - YEP, light on again. Is anyone having this issue?? What is the problem?

Last B$*%H...The tires! I just bought new ALL WEATHER tires with 70K warranty Oct/07. After leaving the dealer, they said my tires are in terrible condition and that I desperately need NEW ONES! I took it back to GoodYear and they said that it is a CAR issue the way the car drives low to the ground, the "toe" and the make of this type of car - - that tires just don't last long. I put less than 18K on these tires over a year and 1/2 and I need NEW ones already! Is anyone else having this problem and if so, can you recommend a GREAT tire. This is ridiculous! :confuse: :cry:
  • I do have problems with the last 2 issues you are talking about. The first time my light with the exclamation point came on was because my tire was going flat so I had that fixed. now it comes on sometimes in cold weather but it is due to the part that I may have a bad bearing, so I am taking it to Firestone and having my front end inspected (Suzuki dealer can't seem to figure out the issue DUH how stupid can a dealership be?). That light by the way, is the Tire Pressure Monitoring System so get your tire pressure checked.
    So due to the fact that we have the crappy tires issue, is probably why the light keeps coming on. I did just buy new tires (all four) from Firestone but have not had the bearing checked yet, so I will update you when I find out. Should be next week when I get my tax return. I bought the car in February 2007.
    To be honest it was my first Suzuki ever, and I am used to Chevrolets. I had, however, had my truck repossessed and am now stuck with this crappy, foreign car! I cannot wait until I pay it off I am turning it in and getting another Chevy. As long as GM is still around!
    By the way, did you take your car to the dealer when you saw these problems? Take it somewhere else and get a second opinion. If you like Firestone, you can get better tires there and $22 is all it costs for them to check your front end out.
  • jeng2jeng2 Posts: 2
    That makes perfect sense that since my tires are going down the tube again, that the light would come on. Thanks I will mention that to the GoodYear guy when I bring the car in next week as well. Yes, I've taken it to the Suzuki dealership I bought it from 3x now and they still didn't fix the problem. They know I'm coming back soon though and if this continues to happen

Honestly, I am just starting to have issues with this car and have been very pleased with it up until now. Would figure it's 3 years old right - - isn't that when the problems start to appear? I bought it brand new and it was a "will do for now" car when I got it as I HAD to dump my CRAPPY Jeep Grand Cherokee (please save yourself $ and NEVER EVER buy a Jeep! They are HORRIBLE trucks).

Regardless, I've always had Hondas and loved them. Very reliable and resale is great! This car is intended to be the kids first car, so I'm not worried about resale, but I am VERY concerned with the fact that dealerships can't figure out the issues of the cars THEY make/sell. What the H#@@ us that about! :confuse:

Good Year is honoring the 70K warranty but I have to pay the difference on what I've driven on teh tires (18K miles vs. 70K warranty) which means they are giving me $60/tire. I have to pay the $40 additional for a BETTER tire that may or may not last more than 20K miles. :mad:

Please let me know what Firestone says about your car. And I'll do the same. :)
  • I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 06, MY DEALER IS TRYIN TO FORCE SUZUKI TO PAY TO FIX IT, HOWEVER I AM SURE THEY WONT. IF I KNEW HOW TO START A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT I WOULD. I AM A SINGLE MOTHER OF 5 AND CANT AFFORD THIS.
  • my husband and i went to test drive a 2004 suzuki forenza, and as we were pulling in to buy the thing....it just died. the motor shut down and all the lights on the dash came on. my husband turned the key off and then restarted it, it came on no problem, but we couldn't figure out what the problem was. has anyone else had this kind of problem. we're just glad it happened BEFORE we bought it. it would have be horrible to buy it and then break down on the way home! :surprise:
  • This seems to be a common problem with everybody who owns a Forenza.
    I was stupid enough to believe that is Suzuki made a good motorcycle then their car would be good also. NO WAY, NO DEAL, NO HOW, HOW STUPID!
    I have found the Range Selector Switch is bad. There is no way to buy the part over the counter and the warranty is 36K for this part.
    Combined with the "road noise" and the other recalls I'm trading this POS as soon as I can............
    I hope those who are searching for a Suzuki purchase find this info before they buy.
    Suzuki does not have a "complaint" page anywhere and the dealers only want to charge you for what should be a "warranty" item.

VERY DISSATISFIED................I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER SUZUKI PRODUCT AND AM CONSIDERING NEVER BUYING ANOTHER FOREIGN CAR EVER AGAIN...............
    GO AMERICAN, AT LEAST WE HAVE THE PARTS HERE.........

:mad: :sick: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • My tires wear pretty quick as well.... usually about every 25-30k I should need to get new ones unfortunately.... and because of the style (y'all know what i mean lol) i pretty much HAVE to get V-rated @ about 125 bucks per tire :-\ fun fun!

But.... anyways about the power steering... my pwr steering light almost always comes on during the winter/ when its cold out. Number one, you almost have to let the car warm up for at least 10 minutes. Number two... if you ever hear a knock/clicking sound that sounds like it'd be bad oil... THINK AGAIN. At one point I heard continuous knocking/clicking that sounded like it was a cold engine but would continue even after the engine was plenty warm (say like going 80 down the highway for at least a half hour). Well... my power steering pump blew out shortly after (inside a month or so?). Ran me between 170-180 for most places to get a rebuilt pump however I get a discount at car quest which I got it for about 155. And you may as well switch out the Serpentine belt while you're in there.
  • Ok so... as i said in my last post my pwr steering pump blew out which was back in about mid january. I got that fixed middle of March. After about a week or so one night on the way home after i pulled in my driveway i sat there for a moment for whatever reason and felt the engine studder a little bit. Didn't think anything of it at the time just thought it was wierd. Well the next day I when i went to go to the grocery store before work I went to gas it and it hesitated BAD but then was ok for the next hour or so. I left for work, slowed down for a dog in the middle of the road and tried gassing it again. Same problem. Now it's gotten to the point where I have to start the thing up at every break (roughly 2 1/3-3 hours) just to keep it warm because if it sits too long in the cold(er) weather I have to pump the gas while trying to turn it over to get her started up. I thought (and the error code confirms it) that the car was misfiring, however I've no clue as to what the problem is.

I've changed the spark plugs AGAIN because the day I blew my pump I changed them out and pulled out bosch splitfires (have any effect i don't know?) Changed out the spark plug cables, had a fuel line cleaner ran through it (otc stuff at walmart and the shop's own little thing where they run it through the whole system air filter switched and oil change for the hell of it. Nothing has worked so far. The only thing better is that and maybe its because of the warmer weather finally though, is the shop's fuel line/injector clean, but the car still has an extreme difficulty starting and I still have to time it right and pump the gas real quick for several seconds to get it completely turned over. Currently I'm getting either a pcm problem from a mech i know, possible bad coil pack from the dealership, or IDFK. I'm guessing at the pcm or a bad censor since it has trouble starting in cold weather.

Any takers? I haven't seen anyone w/ this particular problem yet........

btw.. DONT BUY SUZUKI. Every problem listed I've had thus far, headlights, Day lamps, tires, power steering, door handle lock on the driver side.... yeah. She ran BEAUTIFULLY until I hit 80k.

Oh btw... as far as the tranny, i had to have it flushed apparently right after i first bought it (april of 05 at 12k). No probs but its always slipped gears around 30mph and 2k rpms.
  • From what I've heard it's been a real problem keeping the GM/Daewoo parts in stock, GM isn't supported its end of the bargain with supplying Suzuki with sufficient parts for these Daewoo vehicles. Fortunately Suzuki decided not to continue to allow GM to dump these Daewoo cars on the Suzuki lots and place Suzuki emblems on them. You might want to considering taking your Daewoo back to the Suzuki lot where you bought it, and getting an ACTUAL Suzuki made car instead of a Daewoo with a Suzuki emblem on it. Check out the Suzuki SX4 or SX4 Sport, I think you would be much happier with it and you would be getting a much better build quality and reliability than with you Daewoo (Suzuki Forenza/Chevy Corsa).
  • Many people are having problems such as the ones you mentioned with these Daewoo cars. They are usually fine until around 50k to 80k, and then the Daewoo design and build starts having one problem after another. Since GM made Suzuki sell these Daewoo rebadges, I would suggest you take the car back to your Suzuki dealer and just trade it in on an actual Suzuki made vehicle, not a Daewoo with a Suzuki emblem on it. I would recommend you try the Suzuki SX4 or SX4 Sport, as that car is an actual Suzuki, NOT a Daewoo! Now that Suzuki has purchased back its stock from GM, they no longer have to sell Daewoo's which was a bad deal in the first place. Sorry to hear you got stuck with a Daewoo, hope you get a chance to drive a real Suzuki, not a rebadge.
  • lonesanlonesan Posts: 9
    So I have been reading all these issues people have and seams I dont seam to have most of the issues everyone has.. But I have my own gripes..

I have 58,800miles on my 2004 Suzuki Forenza S.. i put 30,000 on it last year alone
    Stock tires were crap and started cracking at the sidewalls at 20,000miles. Im now on my 3rd set of tires on this car. After 30,000miles i seam to put as much money into it every year as much as i Owe on it. Issues i have had are below..

First I also have a squeaky steering wheel it seams to have started around 45,000miles not sure what it is but frankly least of my worries.

I had the gas cap check engine lite issue everyone seams to have but my fix was a little different. Tightening the cap didn't work, for kicks i put a tank of Premium in it to flush the system and kicked off the light seams the car is more particular about bad gas because i have seen this issue about once a year and this fix seams to clear it.

This car burns tires but could be my lead foot. First set lasted 20,000 mostly because my dad drove the car the first 2 years. Since then I am on my second set of V-Rated Tires this car does some reason seam to burn them fast.

Struts are a piece of crap on this car.. After 45,000 all 4 struts gave out

The front bearings were replaced same time as struts as the mechanic found them to be so warn they were almost non-existent.

now since about 55,000 the car seams to have issues starting randomly but in a different way the car seams to drop hard on the front when it fails to turn over. finally i took it in after couple 100miles (this is like 2-3weeks for me) come to find out 2 of the 3 motor mounts are completely worn out so my little "starting issues" was actually due to the motor jumping under the hood. This is going to cost me around 500$ to fix.

Oil changes are interesting on this car.. I can feel the need for an oil change around 100miles before its read for one because the whole car feels different.

Now as the car is about 5years old, its worth close to nothing and even less due to the excessive miles on it. Taking it down to the Honda/Toyota/Kia dealers no one will give me anything for the car. I owe about 1500$ on the car and they tell me they will write-off the remaining balance and thats it. So now im in the need for a new car and thanks to the economy cant afford the down payment on one and was hoping the car would be usable as a triad in. The down fall of this.. is im putting 300-500$ in repairs to this car every 2-6months. So saying keeping it is cheaper than buying a new one is kind of far fetched.

Dont buy Suzuki, they are a joy to drive (I *Loved* mine) but after 30,000miles they fall apart.
  • I have not had any of the issues that are being discussed, I am sure that they exist. but as with all the cars I have owned I have been religious about servicing and upgrading components.

I put an Intrax sport suspension on the car with 18 inch rims with Pirelli tires. I also sport tuned the engine and put a wide body kit by A-toy on it, I keep the engine and undercarriage in immaculate condition. I have had zero problems with this car. To say it is a Suzuki product is wrong. It is badged Suzuki here in the states in Asia it is a Chevrolet Optra and Australia it is the Holden Viva. Of course it is made by Daewoo and is still the Daewoo Lacetti in Korea. Suzuki and GM went in during the Asian economic crisis and bought out Daewoo. Put the blame on GM since they own the majority share in the company. Research your car history before you buy I would suggest.

There are no real American cars anymore just look at the parts made in Mexico and Canada.

Despite the complaints I have heard I must reiterate I have not had any problems with my forenza, but then again how you take care of your car in the maintainence will relate to how any car performs.
    Only thing I have done with my car is put 15 inch Alloys, 2 sets of Performance Tires (first set was Dunlap Direzza DZ101, Current tires are Goodyear Eagle GT) , tinted windows and within the last 5,000 Miles a upgraded muffler.. Aside from that i have had my car serviced religiously at or before every scheduled service.. Including getting oil changes done before or right at the stated millage (always a month or so before the date) and the damn thing is still falling apart.. Needless to say I drive ALOT and on the 5 and 405 Freeways here in California, these freeways are known to be hell on cars..

To date I have put well over $6,500 in service's into this stupid car in the last 2 years alone. I still owe $1,500 on it today.. and I have $1,500-2,000 in services to still preform within the next 1-3months

All parts for this dang car have to be specially ordered.. and because now all the Suzuki dealers in the area have gone out of business it takes 1 week minimum to get any part.

kapriako1, maybe you got lucky.. but frankly I have loved my Forenza to 30,000 now at 58,800+.. its a lemon i can nether afford to keep driving nor replace. Its broken the bank and I cant afford the down payment for a new car because every time i get some money set aside i have to fix this dang car or i cant get to work next week. :lemon: :lemon: :sick:
  • lonsan,

That is too bad that you are having the problems with the car. I understand it is a high maintainence car but I bought it as a street racer and expected to put the money into it. I actually own the Chevrolet Optra Version in the Philippines and the Suzuki Forenza one here in the states. I have had extensive modifications done on both with the suspension and the engines. That may be the difference between the Our cars. I agree the 405 and I-5 are hard on the cars. I used to live in SD and Fresno. I guess you have no intentions of keeping the car. I was just trying to make the point I have not had the same experience with either one of the cars. I found them to be reliable and even though parts are a problem(I have mine sent from Asia or Europe) I have enjoyed these cars.

I am surprised though that people do not do the research into who manufactures what these days. The labels inside the doors clearly state manufactured in Korea and by GM Daewoo. Not Suzuki. Suzuki and GM bought out Daewoo in the 80's. Daewoo was not known for building cars to last, only for affordabilty over a 3-5 year period and most American Car companies agree with that philosophy since most Americans change cars every 3-5 years. The most reliable Cars for long term usage would be Honda or Toyotas.

Of course there is the old adage, You get what you pay for. I only paid 7500 for mine new. so that I could use any extra money on the upgrades in Performance. I hope you are able to get what you are looking for and I wish you luck. Take care.

P.S. Never had the Dealer Service anything only a High Performance shop or Myself. I don't trust Dealers.
    I do have to agree that the Forenza is a joy to drive, Before i had problems with it.. even stock i was turning heads as i flew by Civic's and un-expected BMW's doing 90mph+

But the reason for my anger was I bought this off my dad (didn't know better at the time) but he paid 13,000 for it new back in late 2004.. I can see if i expected this to be a 7500 car.. but as i paid more for mine.. Im a little more ticked off..

And yea I get all work done to my car by a personal mechanic and friend who is good enough to let me know what needs done before its needed and doesn't bother trying to screw me with the prices because i know alot of people that uses his shop, but he specializes in High Performance rebuilds and Classic's

But Yea I drive from Bakersfield to Huntington Beach 2-6times a month. Forenza was trusty up until this last year.. now.. :lemon:
  • rp3rp3 Posts: 1
    I just had my 36,000 miles 05 Forenza blow an engine for no apparent reason. Any one else had this experience?
  • ladybriladybri Posts: 3
    >Ever since I blew the head gasket on my 2005 Suzuki Forenza I have not driven the car, that was in September 2008. I had the head repaired and the car have been in the shop since April 6, 2009. I had it at the dealer and all they did was change two sensors, never diagnose the problem correctly, I called Suzuki about the engline light they informed me that the mechanic listed the problem as being loosing water in the engine (yet they charged me for repairing 2 sensors) . well I took the car to another mechanic he took the head off and discovered the head was cracked and repaired before(I purchased this car brand new off the lot still making payments .
    Now the mechanic is telling me he went to Al Packer (Suzuki authorized Mechanics) told him that the problem is common with Daewoo engines Forenzas.
    I am still without a car and still have to send a payment every month...
    do anyone have a solution to a car that will not crank?
    my 2005 forenza had less that 36000mi/ and one day the engine light came on and overheated and that is the end of the story.
  • jh2416jh2416 Posts: 1
    I'm going through a big problem with my 2004 Suzuki Forenza. The check engine light came on and the dealer told me there was an issue with the cylinder head. The good news is that although it is a very expensive piece that costs over $2,000, my 7 year power train warranty covers this part. I took the car to the dealer last Saturday and it's been there all week. The real problem is that Suzuki does not have the part they need to fix the car. They said the part required is on back order and they do not have an estimated "ready" time in which they will acquire this part to fix the car. So, this means I am out of a car for who knows how long. I confirmed with a auto parts representative online that due to the financial/economy issue going on the cylinder head for the 2004 Suzuki is no longer manufactured and therefore not available. I feel that I should be entitled to some kind of compensation. The dealer is not able to give me a projection as to when and/or if they can get this fixed. They are also not willing to give me a replacement car in the meanwhile until this situation is fixed. They said that under the 7 year warranty giving me a replacement car is not covered, but if it would have been covered under the 3 year warranty (which has obviously already expired). They say that my only option is to rent a car until they figure it out. I don't believe I should have to rent a car for an unknown period of time until the car is fixed. This does not seem reasonable.

At the moment, I will be working on a letter of complaint which I will address to the Suzuki corporate organization, the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General. I will be looking to either have them simply manufacture the part and/or give me a replacement vehicle until the car is fixed. I may also be consulting with an attorney. Worst case scenario, I may have to sue considering they are not complying within the terms of the 7 year warranty in fixing the car.

Anybody else running into a similar situation?
  • suzzie033suzzie033 Posts: 5
    I HAVE A 2006 FORENZA, PLEASE BY ALL MEANS IF THERE ENDS UP BEING A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT, CONTACT ME. I HAVE HAD TO HAVE A TRANSMISSION SENSOR REPLACED AT MY COST, WHICH ATLEAST A 150 OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TO, SO IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON RECALL
  • bukswifebukswife Posts: 3
    i am new on here and i' am wondering if you can help me..i too have a 2006 forenza .i beleive i have this "transmission sensor " problem..i'm taking the car to the suzuki dealership tonight. i was hoping it was covered but apparently not..my car has approx 54,000..i was drving then all of a sudden it would seem like it slipped into neutral..then it would be fine..the check engine light came on and now it wont go off..i took the car to an auto parts store and they hooked it up to their "computer" . although they dont have suzuki listed in their system all indication show a short circut connection....how much did this cost yyou? is there anything we can do to have suzuki make this a recall if that many people have had the same problem??
  • suzzie033suzzie033 Posts: 5
    YUP THATS WHAT IT WAS DOIN, IF YOU TAKE IT TO ADVANCE AUTO, THEY CAN RUN THE CODE, HOWEVER THEY CLEAR THE CODE TO AND THEN THE DEALERSHIP CANT RUN IT, WHICH THEY WILL NEED TO DO TO SERVICE IT. IT COST ME ABOUT 400 PLUS CAR RENTAL, BECAUSE THEY HAD TO HAVE IT A COUPLE OF DAYS. AND I HAVE NO CLUE IF THERE IS ANYTHING WE CAN DO, I WISH I KNEW, I AM SOOOO OVER THIS CAR.
  • bukswifebukswife Posts: 3
    well they gave me a print out so i can at least provide the dealership with the printout ..another thing my car did last night which was weird..i unlock it with the keyless entry..by the time i walked out of the house to the car..the car locked all by its self..i went back inside unlocked the car..walked outside ..it did it again..i thought maybe the battery in the key was low so i grabbed my husbands key..i went outside with the key , unlocked the door using the keyless entry and the car locked itself again..what the heck is that all about??? i am hoping its mearly a reset thingy...this and the the transmission thing is the first problem i've have with the car..i was really hoping that this would be inculded under the warantee..$400.00 sheeese..guess i'll be stuck at home..i cant pay for that and a car rent..sighhhhhhh
    If any of you guys know of a class action sue against Suzuki , I purchased a brand new ford escort a few years ago and I never had any problems with this car until the 7 year mark I had to replace the radiator, my main regret is that I bought a Suzuki. I should have bought a Toyota or a Honda at least these cars have proven themselves, my next vehicle will be an American made proven car. :
    whats a ford escort have to do with a suzuki?
    Wow.. thats kind of scarry.. i *JUST* rolled 60,000miles seriously 30min ago..
  • tenabtenab Posts: 1
    I bought my teenage daughter a 2004 Forenza and have had lots of troubles. I always get the run around and once they even had the car about 6 weeks to fix. Now the car has a blown motor because of sludge. Suzuki says it is our lack of oil changes which is crap!!!! Any lawsuit I will gladly be part of. I owe 5,000 and Suzuki wants me to pay between 2 and 3,000 more for a new motor.

Fed up. I bought my teenager what I thought was a reliable car with a good warranty "America"s #1 Warranty" that bull. She is now 21 pregnant and without a car in another state. Her husband serves our country while we are getting ripped.

Tena Bailey
    Gesh sorry to hear.. I cant even take my car to suzuki to hear my warranty is fake.. Closest Suzuki to me is about 100miles away and requires me to take at lest a day off work to take it in to get it looked at. (something i cant afford to do now days..)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You can't use the Forums to mount a class-action suit. If we can help you with the specific issue(s) your Suzuki may be having, we'd like to do that, but the terms of use do not allow solicitation for any purposes, including a suit. Sorry.
  • ard1ard1 Posts: 1
    I have a Suzuki,I would like to sell it,it has 55k miles on it,It has no problems since I have it,but what I'm reading here,the only solutin is to sell it.I will try.