Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo vs. Scion xA

2»

Comments

• canuck785canuck785 Posts: 160
    i am with you on this one!
    i am still shopping (little delay for my purchase :( ) and the service I am getting in person or by email is important!
    for example, i am still waiting for 2 reply to my email asking for a new car coming out next month..so 2 dealers, selling the same brand are not giving a very good impression so far..makes me wonder...
    as for the scion/toyota/chevy dealer, he keeps in touch with me, in a very polite, non pushy manner, obviously, i know he wants my business and that is ok with me. there is a fine line between being pushy and business oriented and he is doing just the right thing.
  • I think the sales experience does reflect your potential service experience, definitely!!!
  • Give it a rest. Making decisions about products being built in America is like refusing to shop at Wal-Mart, Target or any department store for that matter. Read the stats, the percentage of 100% American made products is insignificant enough to stop stressing those of us who don't care. Do you watch food labels for nitrite? Further, if you are so concerned about buying American...don't buy gas for your car. Where do you think the oil/gas comes from people?
  • Buying a 2006 or 2007 Aveo doesn't support an American company at all. The AVEO is a GMDAT product produced in Korea and sold in over 140 countries around the world. GM is a world-wide automotive company with PACAT (GM China), Holden (GM Australia), Opel/Vauxhall (GM of Europe) all involved in the development of the new '07 Aveo. GM USA was not part of the redesign of the new Aveo sedan.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    "Buying a 2006 or 2007 Aveo doesn't support an American company at all."

How do you figure that. GM is an American company and they own the majority of Daewoo. So any Aveo sold is more money for them. Any Aveo sold in the U.S. makes GM and the dealer more $$$. Why would they sell it if there wasn't going to be a profit?
  • GM is not an American owned company - it's an international company with brands Holden, Daewoo, Opel, Vauxhall GMDAT, PACAT and others. Profit will go back to all of GM not just GM of USA with the majority of the profits going back to GMDAT in Korea and PACAT in China.
    GM not an American company? Are you new to the automotive world? They are and have always been based in Detroit Michigan. Just because they have other divisions throughout the world and do business internationally doesn't change their nationality. One of their brands is Saab which is and was founded in Sweden. They are still a Swedish company though they share components with other divisions in other companies, countries. Toyota is a Japanese company and have always been based in Japan though they now build elsewhere and share parts with other companies. The name Toyota is Japanese just like Nissan, Mitsubishi, etc.
  • here in az it was 116 today
    I own an 2007 aveo :shades: and my friend owns a 06 xA and we went to the movies. when we got out of the 2 hr movie.
    my aveo always takes about 5 minutes in the summer to cool down even when it has been sitting outside all day during school.
    his xA :lemon: took and i'm NOT joking 15 minutes to get cool enough to drive that is appalling
    on mine i dont even have to roll down the windows he had to put all his down
    "his xA took and i'm NOT joking 15 minutes to get cool enough to drive that is appalling."

It sounds like your friend should visit his local dealership to have it checked out. That would not be acceptible to me either.
  • Sorry but I don't agree with you when you call GM an American company. They have divisions all around the world and design centres in Asia and Europe as well as USA. GM is an internationally run corporation and not a company.

The new AVEO is not American in any shape or form. It was designed at GMDAT in Korea with help from Chinese partership PACAT, Daewoo and Holden of Australia.
  • GM may be based in USA, but I don't consider it an American company anymore. They are international. Thanks. :mad:
    You may not, but GM still has a 75% domestic content overall in the USA according to recent reports-Detroit News and autob--g, and your foreign import Toyota company is 49% domestic content overall in the USA. General Motors started here in America, and their main headquarters is in Detroit, just like your Toyota's main headquarters is in Japan.
  • GMDAT headquarters are in South Korea and GMDAT is responsible for all the design and engineering of b-class GM cars including the AVEO.
    I never said it wasn't. Your argument if you look back was that GM wasn't an American company. My response was that it most certainly is and has always has been. General Motors is a corporation with headquarters based in Detroit, Michigan, United States of America. General Motors owns or has partnerships with other companies throughout the world as does Toyota. Toyota is a Japanese company based in Japan with partnerships with other companies throughout the world.

The 5-door Aveo is part of the GMDAT program with the styling design coming a company in Italy. The newer model sedan is not an Italian design as far as I know.
  • Well we're never going to agree on this issue. I hardly think GM is an American company anymore, they do business and have offices all over the globe. Anyway- yes the new AVEO sedan was an inhouse design in Korea at GMDAT with PACTA involved (GM of China), and Australian's Holden division also involved in design and engineering. All future GM B-class cars will be designed/engineered in South Korea at GMDAT. As far as I know, GM USA was NOT involved at all in the new Aveo sedan and HB redesign for 2008.
    Why would I agree with someones absurd opinion of a company, and someone for whatever reason trying to cheapen the name of a historically great auto empire like General Motors. GM has been doing business all over the globe for over 50-years, maybe longer. They are sure not a Korean, African, or a Honduras company, they are an American company here in the USA doing business all over the globe like many other auto manufactures are doing. BMW is a German company that also has plants throughout the world even hear in the USA. Volkswagon is a German company with plants and partnerships throughout the world and has been building Volkswagons in Mexico since the late 1960's.
  • Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    I had been hoping this would eventually return to talk about the two vehicles in the title, however, it appears it is devolving to another level that simply must stop. If you wish to discuss the merits of GM and where it is going, I suggest you go over to the Auto News Forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• casey47casey47 Posts: 1
    I'm shopping around for a newer car. I'm looking for input on How the Aveo & Scion xD handle in snow country ? I live in upstate newyork and we get some pretty good storms each year. Any input would be helpful !!!
    Have a nice day all !
    All small front wheel drive cars are about the same in snow which they seem good from my experiences. The Aveo also has that gear lock adjustment for slick roads that lets you start out in 3rd gear instead of first for less tire spinning. The Aveo 5-door 2009 model comes out in August with some changes but im not sure if traction control will be one of them.
2»
This discussion has been closed.