Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Aveo vs. Scion xA

2»

Comments

• GM may be based in USA, but I don't consider it an American company anymore. They are international. Thanks. :mad:
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    You may not, but GM still has a 75% domestic content overall in the USA according to recent reports-Detroit News and autob--g, and your foreign import Toyota company is 49% domestic content overall in the USA. General Motors started here in America, and their main headquarters is in Detroit, just like your Toyota's main headquarters is in Japan.
  • GMDAT headquarters are in South Korea and GMDAT is responsible for all the design and engineering of b-class GM cars including the AVEO.
    I never said it wasn't. Your argument if you look back was that GM wasn't an American company. My response was that it most certainly is and has always has been. General Motors is a corporation with headquarters based in Detroit, Michigan, United States of America. General Motors owns or has partnerships with other companies throughout the world as does Toyota. Toyota is a Japanese company based in Japan with partnerships with other companies throughout the world.

The 5-door Aveo is part of the GMDAT program with the styling design coming a company in Italy. The newer model sedan is not an Italian design as far as I know.
  • Well we're never going to agree on this issue. I hardly think GM is an American company anymore, they do business and have offices all over the globe. Anyway- yes the new AVEO sedan was an inhouse design in Korea at GMDAT with PACTA involved (GM of China), and Australian's Holden division also involved in design and engineering. All future GM B-class cars will be designed/engineered in South Korea at GMDAT. As far as I know, GM USA was NOT involved at all in the new Aveo sedan and HB redesign for 2008.
    Why would I agree with someones absurd opinion of a company, and someone for whatever reason trying to cheapen the name of a historically great auto empire like General Motors. GM has been doing business all over the globe for over 50-years, maybe longer. They are sure not a Korean, African, or a Honduras company, they are an American company here in the USA doing business all over the globe like many other auto manufactures are doing. BMW is a German company that also has plants throughout the world even hear in the USA. Volkswagon is a German company with plants and partnerships throughout the world and has been building Volkswagons in Mexico since the late 1960's.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    I had been hoping this would eventually return to talk about the two vehicles in the title, however, it appears it is devolving to another level that simply must stop. If you wish to discuss the merits of GM and where it is going, I suggest you go over to the Auto News Forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• casey47casey47 Posts: 1
    I'm shopping around for a newer car. I'm looking for input on How the Aveo & Scion xD handle in snow country ? I live in upstate newyork and we get some pretty good storms each year. Any input would be helpful !!!
    Have a nice day all !
    All small front wheel drive cars are about the same in snow which they seem good from my experiences. The Aveo also has that gear lock adjustment for slick roads that lets you start out in 3rd gear instead of first for less tire spinning. The Aveo 5-door 2009 model comes out in August with some changes but im not sure if traction control will be one of them.
2»
This discussion has been closed.