Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Climate Control/AC Issues

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    I would still be suspicious then that it is something associated with AC compressor even though you believe the fuse blows when AC is OFF. Sometimes AC is actually on even when not requested (like if you are in defrost or defog mode.

I would look at AC compressor, wiring to it as well as the AC compressor clutch diode in same center as the fuse and relay for being shorted out.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    I posted this in the Maxx forum about my 05 LS with manual HVAC controls. I'm a couple of months from running off the end of my warranty.

1. Had no heat for a couple of weeks in late April. Was going to take it in at a regular service but it corrected itself.
    2. Since then, on about three occasions, I've had the heat on full blast when the heater controller is off. Not pleasant in late June. This has lasted only a minute or two. I suspect the A/C continued to operate but of course it was totally overcome by the heater. All occurances on start-up with a warm engine.

Intermittant problems are always pleasant.
  • mattmorismattmoris Posts: 1
    The "home fix" worked great! I have an associates degree in Electronics, so it was easy enough for me to do! But, I think most techies and do-it-yourselfers should be able to tackle this project. I drove around for about a half-hour and the AC stayed on the whole time-first time in the 2+ years I've owned it!!!! Don't buy a refill kit like I did till you try the fix. It could save you money and actually fix it! :shades:
  • Thanks for this tip, it really worked out and saved me some cash......
  • This car has a V6. When you start it when the ambient temperature is high, it blows hot air. The compressor does appear to click on, and after anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes of driving, the cold air starts coming out normally. It only happens when the outside temp is in the high 80's or above. The dealer had replaced a sensor, and that made the problem a little better, but not much. :cry:
  • bccamanbccaman Posts: 1
    I have had the same issue w/my '98 Malibu. It was the heater control head. I had the dealer replace one under warranty & it was fine for 2-3 years & same symptoms. I bought a junkyard heater control head off eBay ($30) & it fixed it, again.
  • 2005 Classic, 40,000 miles: Sometimes the A/C will stop blowing cold air. I can stop and restart the car and it will start blowing cold again. This usually happens within 10 minutes of start up. It will blow cold but stops suddenly. Any ideas?

Mark
  • I noticed that you posted this back in 2005, and I've been having these problems with my 2000 Malibu, and have just been 'living with' them. I finally did something about it and a few months ago talked to my service manager.

The problem with the Setting 1 and 2 not working was a resistor.

The problem with the Air Compressor light going on-and-off, indicating that the Compressor was cycling on-and-off, was a burnt out control module. And as observed by someone else, it would affect the RPM readout (and the RPMs).

Since replacing these two components, I have had no problem with these issues.
  • redlemonredlemon Posts: 4
    My family has a total of 4 Malibu cars ranging from 1998-2003. They have between 70K-150K miles now. All good cars except, they have all hade the same ac problems. The ac control module keeps flipping on and off in all of them. It can be fixed for a little over $300, buy it will break again. Mine works now after fixing it at 20K miles and I expect it will need to be replaced again by 100K. Chevrolet should be fixing them for free. It is obvious that it is an engineering defect. The total family bill is reaching $2K to keep our ac on. Love the cars, but hate the ac problems.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    There is a shade tree fix for the A/C problem, just google it, google is my friend.
  • darek99darek99 Posts: 1
    My 2000 Malibu is making metallic grinding noise. It is related to air conditioning.
    It happens when AC is off!!!!!. If I turn AC on the noise stops. Otherwise AC works good, cools nicely. What could be causing that? :confuse:
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    Most likely clutch bearing, when the A/C is engaged the bearing no longer rotates. A good A/C shop will replace just the bearing. Most just in stall a new clutch or worse a new compressor, big bucks.
  • duffin1duffin1 Posts: 1
    Howdy all

I just bought a 2003 Malibu and have noticed that the interior fan for the heater and A/C is always on.
    I've looked for a way to shut the fan off and cannot
    find a way to stop it from blowing air into the cabin. Any suggestions

Cheers
    Duffin
  • aspen2aspen2 Posts: 3
    I found that you could access and clean the contracts on the board without taking the controller unit apart. Once the unit is removed from the dash, remove the button from the from of the selector switch and just unscrew the two screws on the back of the controller that are holding in the selector switch. When you remove the switch from the back of the controller you can see the area of the printed circuit board that has the worn contacts (they are circular in shape on the board). Clean with alcohol, apply some graphite to the worn contacts on the board and put the selector switch back in.
    I found that you could access and clean the contracts on the controller board without taking the controller unit apart. Once the unit is removed from the dash (remove bezels around ignition key switch and bezel around radio and a/c controller. Both bezels pop out without removing any fastners_, remove the button from the front of the selector switch and just unscrew the two screws on the back of the controller that are holding in the selector switch. When you remove the switch from the back of the controller you can see the area of the printed circuit board that has the worn contacts (they are circular in shape on the board). Clean with alcohol, apply some graphite to the worn contacts (can use a #2 pencil) on the board and put the selector switch back in.
    I also had (and will probably have again) the problem with the ac control module on my 2001 malibu. I have had success fixing it with pencil graphite and some cleaning alcohol. Total first time repair was 30 minutes. Can probably do the next one in 20 or less. Total repair requires you to remove two small bolts holding in the controller unit and two torx screws holding the mode selector switch in the controller unit.

My problem was that the contacts on the controller circuit board for the mode selector (floor, dash, defrost selector) were worn. I found that you could access and clean the contacts on the controller board without taking the controller unit totally apart as suggested in the "A/C Controllers are Repairable" article cited in an earlier post.

First you must remove the controller unit from the dash. To do this remove the plastic bezel around the ignition key switch and the bezel around the radio and a/c controller. Both bezels pop out without removing any fastners. You may need to put the shifter into 1st to get space to remove the larger bezel. Once removed, you can move the bezel off to the side or unclip the cigarette lighter and free the bezel completely. Gentlely unclip the four connectors (3 electrical, 1 vacuum) from the back of the controller. Don't force anything. You can now take the unit out of the car and work on it in comfort.

Remove the button from the front of the mode selector switch and unscrew the two torx screws on the back of the controller that are holding in the selector switch. When you remove the switch from the back of the controller you can see the area of the printed circuit board that has the worn contacts (they are circular in shape on the board). Clean with alcohol, apply some graphite to the worn contacts (can use a #2 pencil) on the board and put the selector switch back in. I also bent the two copper connectors on the switch out a small amount to ensure that they make good contact with the circuit board when the selector mode is turned.
  • rvothrvoth Posts: 147
    My 2005 had a musty smell coming from the ducts, for the last two years, this was very noticeable after the a/c was used. GM applied a fremfresh conditioner into the the evaporator to get rid of the mold/mildew smell.$230 later the problem was gone. A/C are not covered under warranty says GM canada.
  • You guys helped greatly! Thanks!

The Torx driver needed is sized TX15.

I used a quick drying electrical component cleaner that I purchased from an Autozone.

I'll mention the wavy washer and the plastic block with the copper contact points.
    Both of those are revealed when the harnesses are unscrewed from the back of the unit. Don't lose them, and don't forget to replace them when you reassemble the unit.
    I also cleaned the contact points on that plastic block, just in case.
    I'll also mention that removing the control knobs was easy with a pair of pliers. I used a piece of paper to protect the plastic of the knob from the pliers.

Other than that, the information in earlier messages and the AC_ControllersAreRepairable is all you need.

The particular a/c controller unit I fixed is the 4th unit I've had in my 2003 Malibu. The first one lasted a couple of years. The three subsequent were all warranty replacements of the previous one. I figured, with a warranty like that, what's the harm of voiding it? My a/c controller works now, and I thank you.

Vexed owners of a strangely behaving a/c controller, go forth and fix it!
  • tootal2tootal2 Posts: 13
    Is there a easy way to fix the intermittent ac problem on the 99
    Malibu? This is the worst car i have ever owned:(

thanks
  • tootal2tootal2 Posts: 13
    will this fix the intermittent problem with my chevy?
    http://www.conquestauto.com/servlet/the-965/97-98-99-00/Detail

If this works the next thing i need to fix is fan speeds 1 and 2:(