Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Civic 2007

Comments

• I just bought a brand new Honda civic.I sold my 99 Honda Civic EX and decided to get a newer one .Im actually a little disappointed with my purchase. I am only getting 200 miles per tank of gas. Also I noticed my accelleration isnt what it was on my 99.Is this normal on the new ones

the guy at the dealership said i should be getting 400 miles per tank, which i figured was a little out there but i really thought i would be getting better milage
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Has your new vehicle been properly broken in yet? I surely wouldn't expect to compare acceleration and mileage figures without at least 1,000 miles on the odometer.

Any "guy at the dealership" telling anyone about how many miles someone should get from a tank of fuel should not be believed. Miles per tank is virtually meaningless. The only true measure is actual number of miles driven divided by actual number of gallons consumed... that's Miles Per Gallon (MPG). Even that figure is only valid after averaging a few tankfulls of driving.

Miles per tank could mean many things, depending upon how large or small the capacity of a particular tank is.
  • drmbbdrmbb Posts: 80
    Well, even if you completely drained the tank (it's 13.2 gallons, btw), 200 miles per tank would only work out to about 15mpg - which is horrible for the civic. On my very first fillup (bought my 2007 EX/AT sedan in March) I recorded 29.4mpg.

Of course you do need to calculate what your actual mpg is, as you cannot really guestimate reasonably going by roough mileage and the fuel guage LEDs. But you should be well over 20mpg right from the factory (even with heavy, stop-n-go traffic). I agree that mileage figures should improve over the first few 1000's of miles, but break-in will not drastically alter it, just slightly improve it. Off the lot, in average city traffic, I'd be calling my dealer had my mileage been less than 25mpg - that's not right for a brand new civic.

P.S. my worst mileage thus far has been about 26mpg - a couple of weeks of only short trips with lots of idling at lights and such. My best was a shade over 41mpg, on a long afternoon cruise at 65-70mph along I-64. In theoretical miles-per-tank, that would work out at 340 to 540 (if I ran the tank dry).
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    how is miles per tank irrelevant?

if you reset your odometer every time you fill up, that IS the ACTUAL number of miles driven. you divide this by how many gallons you pumped.

a sales guy saying that she should be getting around 400 miles to a tank isn't ridiculous, as thats what i used to get; its to be expected. there is something wrong with her civic, or she is driving in the worst conditions possible.

acceleration, though should be just as good if not better. same goes for handling.
  • ras314ras314 Posts: 43
    Could be the fuel gauge is way off, how many gal was added for a 200 mi range? I notice my gauge doesn't budge until around 2 gal is used but reads about right at 1/4 tank left indicated. Which, btw, is around 400 miles. My second tank fill used 9.3 gal at 399 miles and the third tank used 9.9 gal at 422 miles, so my LX certinaly has a 400 mile range. This was over half hwy miles so probably will drop considerably if all city.

Gas stations in my area can be a long ways apart, so it is necessary to have a good idea how far you can go before you run out of gas. So yes, miles per tank is a very useful idea.
    Miles per tank is irrelevant if she underfills her tank one time and overfills it the next. civicgurl27 has not indicated whether or not this 200 miles per tank figure was the one and only fillup, or it is a consistant pattern over many fillups for her. She could have a leak in the tank or fuel line. She could be a major leadfoot. She has not provided enough information.

The calculated average MPG over several fillups is the best measure of how efficiently her vehicle is perfoming.
    The calculated average MPG over several fillups is the best measure of how efficiently her vehicle is perfoming.

no one is disputing how to calculate mileage...but since she didn't point out how she is filling up (like you said) then we can't rule it out either. so if anything, its even more relevant than we thought.
  • edwcedwc Posts: 1
    Need some help here. I am going to buy a new honda civic lx sedan 4drs, but has difficulty to decide which color to go for. I am thinking about either Silver or Galaxy Gray. Any suggestions? :)
    What color are your eyes? What color clothes do you like to wear? What color is your home? What color Civics are in stock at your dealer?

Everybody has personal preferences. Nobody has to hire a decorator.

Your choice will be the best.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    I chose this color over the Atomic Blue, as my dealer had both colors lined up next to each other. The Silver was nice to, but the last car was silver and the wife's 3s is also silver so I wanted a change. I also added rims from a '05 Civic Si, EP3's I think, and got another compliment in a parking lot from a lady driving a 3. She passed and said "Nice Car". Put a smile on my face.
    Truthfully, you can't go wrong with any color on a Civic. The light brown is nice also, but it does have the ivory interior...a deal breaker for me, as I prefer a darker interior.

The Sandman :)
  • socal8socal8 Posts: 1
    I bought this car 3 weeks ago and with 500 miles on the car am not getting anywhere near the 30 mpg city that it is supposed to get. I have been told I need to wait a couple of thousand miles for the car to break in, which I find difficult to believe. If you have this model, are you getting the 30 mpg in the city?
  • k5ldbk5ldb Posts: 50
    EPA ratings are taken on rollers so there is no wind resistance. That skews the numbers. They are also taken at the lightest throttle setting possible. If you see your tach touching 4k rpm you are burning more fuel and if you are seeing higher rpm regularly you are really going to drop below the EPA numbers. Are your tires at 32psi cold? Anything less than that will lower mpg as well. Do you have a bunch of stuff in it? Added weight equals lower mpg. Bigger tires with heavier unsprung weight? Another hit. Lots of variables that can affect it.
  • civic07civic07 Posts: 3
    Hi, I purchased a new civic coupe ex back in April of this yr. I now have about 5,ooo miles on the car. I have not gotten nearly the mileage was led to expect. Most of my driving is highway driving, and I am averaging just 26 mpg. It has been as low as 22, and never been more than 27.5. That is with about 70% highway driving, average speed 55-75.

Over Memorial Day I drove to the beach, just a straight shot on the expressway for 55 miles, no traffic, only one passenger, and the ac only used one way. I got 25 mpg.

My regular route to work was just two lights, then on the expressway for 15 miles, and right off into my place of work. Sometimes I didn't stop the entire way.

My driving habits have been quite moderate - no lead foot, speeding etc. Tire pressures are all 32. I am not hauling anything around with me. I do use the Air Conditioning.

Does anyone have any ideas about this, or have others experienced similar mileage? I took the car back to the dealer - service looked at it and said they checked the fuel injectors - they were 90 and 94 out of 100. They said no error codes were showing, and that there was nothing they could do.

I am very disappointed, as fuel economy was the primary reason I purchased this car over another. I do not expect to get what the estimates say, but I thought 30+ on the highway would be reasonable to expect. Any Ideas?
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Been averaging this mileage since the 1st oil cahnge and then a small road trip on my '06 LX. 25 on the highway is real low no matter what. Are you sure you are calculating this properly? Somethings just not right here. You've obviously not done the 1st oil change yet, what does the oil minder say about the % of the oil at this point? That would be a good indication as to what's going on.

The Sandman :)
    That's definitely too low based on what you said. I took my 07 LX automatic around Texas visiting my daughters and in about 800 miles got 38mpg. I might try another dealer to check it out.
    The oil life is now at 30%. I agree, something is not right. Yes, I am calculating properly - and I have done the calculation 20 or so times now with different fill ups.
    I just filled again this morning and with around town driving got 33 mpg. I have 1500 miles on my car.
    your mileage is horrendously low.

how far can you go on one tank?

my old civic used to take about 11 gallons. Going by that, i would have to assume that your tanks don't break 290 miles?
    That is correct. I usually get about 280-289. I only got 300 once.
  • Good thing that's about a 13 gal tank, 300 would really be close to the edge with a 11 gal tank and your mileage.

Yours sure seems to be low gas mileage, I would like to know if you ever find what the reason is. 5000 miles and 30% oil life is about the same as mine.
  • kenlwkenlw Posts: 190
    Of the last 5 times, 3 were over 300 miles:

354 miles/12.33g
    316/12.0
    346/10.7 (this was mostly highway but at 70-75mph)
  • Hello,

I bought a 2007 Honda Civic LX Sedan (Auto Trans) about a month back. I have noticed that while taking a turn, if I put on the turn indicator (left OR right) and then steer the wheel in the direction where I will be turning, I hear a 'click' coming from the area of the steering wheel.

I did some playing around with the steering wheel tilt and telescopic capabilities and still get the clicks. However, when I do NOT give a turn indicator, I do NOT get a click.

I also noticed that whenever I hear the click, AFTER the turn is complete, the steering wheel turns OFF the signal indicator. If I do NOT hear the click, my turn isnt curved enough for the steering wheel to turn the indicator off.

This tells me that the click is a mechanism instead of a bug. I never noticed this before but I have not been paying much attention before.

Is this something to be concerned about? Have you (other users) also heard a similar click?

I appreciate your reading this and apologize for the long post, punctuated with some capitalization (only added for emphasis).

Thanks,
    Sharad
    There is probably not a single make or model of automobile that was manufactured in the last half-century that doesn't "click" the way you have described. This is a self-cancelling feature that returns the lever to the neutral (no signal) position as the steering wheel approaches the straight-ahead position after a turn has been made. This prevents your lights from continuing to blink (and annoy other drivers) long after you have completed your turn and may have forgotten to turn off your signal.

It is absolutely normal.
  • Hey Blane,
    I have the same problem as kasturiranganr in my civic. I am almost certain that the clicking noise is not supposed to be there. The indicator sound that we hear when we put on the turn indicator is an electronic sound but apart from that I hear a mechanical clicking from the steering wheel area when I am making the turn. I get the feeling that its due to something getting worn out in the turn indicator mechanism but I am not really sure.
  • Hi, I have a 2005 civic and I too had a feeling that I was getting very low gas averages on my car. So, I decided to put in Premium gas and record the number of miles. 3 full tanks gave me the following miles:
    1st fill: 392miles : 11.25gallons (mostly highway)
    2nd fill: 425miles: 11.95gallons (all highway)
    3rd fill: 375miles: 11.5gallons (highway + local)
    I have gone back to regular gas now. Going by my little experiment, I believe the fuel you put in your car does make a difference. I stick to specific gas stations for refilling my car because cheap gas "MAY NOT" be the best gas.
    :)
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I stick to specific gas stations for refilling my car because cheap gas "MAY NOT" be the best gas.

True, but there is a significant body of evidence that indicates that premium fuel will cause a measurable drop in fuel economy when burned in the R18 engine of the 8th generation Honda Civic DX, LX, and EX.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Hey Shipo,
    What year does the 8th generation of civic refer to? Does premium fuel harm the engine in any way other than giving lower fuel economy in these cars?
    By my previous comment I was thinking impurities in the gas could be responsible for lower fuel economy in the car.
    Regards
    civic102
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Eighth generation Civics are the 2006 and later models.

As for what premium fuel will do to the engine, the jury is still out on this particular design, however, as a general rule, extra deposits will occur from consistent usage of fuel that is higher than the recommended AKI rating for any given engine.

Regarding fuel impurities, I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kork13kork13 Posts: 90
    to back up shipo, my (admittedly limited) understanding is that the primary difference between regular and premium fuels is only the level of octane in it. Think of it as having two barrels of regular fuel, then adding an octane booster to the one you're gonna call premium. No difference in processing and levels of impurities. It's just that higher-compression engines require a higher octane in the fuel.

for my take, i do recognize that there are (sometimes) some notable differences between certain brands of fuel. Such as how each company mixes their fuels, incl. detergents and other addatives they might use. I've found and use a certain local station that consistently has lower (-ish) prices, but also has a reputation for a better fuel mix, which I have also seen in my car's performance.

For your comparison, I have an '07 Si, and driving around normally (about 60/40 hwy/city), I get between 31-32 mpg pretty consistently. On solid highway drives, I'm up to about 35, and strictly city (or more "spirited" driving than normal) I get about 29. I've got ~7800 miles (over ~6 months), and have tracked my mileage pretty carefully over that time period.
  • My owners maual was stolen out of my car and of course now is wheni need it for simple things. How do I change the alram activation so that the horn doesn't beep when i set it.. i think i can make it so that just the lights flash
This discussion has been closed.