Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prius Safety & Crash Test Ratings

moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
edited May 10 in Toyota
IIHS crash tested the Prius and obtained marginal results.
Very surprising.

The report dinged the Toyota Prius, awarding it a marginal safety rating in rear-crash tests.

Comments

• kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    No it's not at all. The vehicle is rated Good/Good/Marginal which is a step below their own 'Gold Standard' simply due to the new rear crash test criteria put in place last year. BTW no older generation vehicle of any maker ( except Subaru ) passed this new test with a 'Good' rating. NONE. But you knew that already and where just taking pot shots right. ;)

This confirms what has been said all along that the performance will replicate the European testing results ( with all the airbags ).

The 'Marginal' rear collision result is a 'generational' item. This new IIHS test was stipulated last year after all the preceeding models, Accord, Camry, Taurus, Coroola, Civic, Prius et. al. were designed back in 1999-2000. The new generations of these models, like the new Civic, are designed to meet or exceed this new test. But again you knew that as well. ;)

The new Camry, Altima, Corolla & Accord ( next year ) etc, etc all should get Good/Good/Good ratings. What will be surprising is if any vehicle like the new Fusion/Milan fails any of the three tests. With all the technology and testing criteria known now no new model should get anything less than Good/Good/Good.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,845
    This confirms what has been said all along that the performance will replicate the European testing results ( with all the airbags.

Why does Toyota continue to be Cheap Charlie's? I would think they would include the side airbags as standard like the competition.

If the EU testing for crash worthiness is good enough? Why isn't the Euro4 emissions acceptable?

Did Toyota/Lexus get caught off guard on the rear crash tests? Their whole lineup got an overall poor to marginal rating. As did many automakers.

Funny you should mention the Civic passing the rear crash test. The test looks to be designed to test the seat & headrest. The headrest being uncomfortable is one of the big complaints with the 2006 Civic. So much that some drivers take them out. Sorry to go off topic.
    Why does Toyota continue to be Cheap Charlie's? I would think they would include the side airbags as standard like the competition.

If the EU testing for crash worthiness is good enough? Why isn't the Euro4 emissions acceptable?

Did Toyota/Lexus get caught off guard on the rear crash tests? Their whole lineup got an overall poor to marginal rating. As did many automakers

It's a 'generational design' situation. The prior generations of all vehicles ( those conceived in the late 90's ) had SAC Airbags as options-only in nearly all cases. All automakers normally keep the same standard equipment throughout a whole generation of a vehicle. Accords, Camry's, Altima's, Fusions, Corolla's, Civics, Avalons, Prius', etc all designed in the late 90's were built this way.

All the new models beginning in 2005 and later will likely have SAC Airbags as standard equipment.

All the automakers I'm sure were notified by the IIHS that it was going to add a new testing criteria to it's program. It's a courtesy offered in business all the time. I'm also sure that the automakers knew that their existing models would do poorly in comparison when the IIHS published it's new ratings. In fact the two top performers one year, the Camry and the Accord with SAC Airbags, dropped to the bottom of the pack with all others when the Active head restraint criteria was added. The Ford 500 happened to be propitiously timed in that it was the first 'new' vehicle to be able to take into account the new testing criteria.... so it's now at the top.

Subaru and Volvo and Saab have always been at the forefront and it may be that the IIHS used these 3 manufacturers additional safety equipment ( active head restraints ) as a model for it's new testing. Only supposition here.

One of the IIHS's primary purposes is to continue to push the envelope in the matter of vehicle safety. Notice on their last press release they stated that they've achieved what they wanted in terms of frontal crash results so from now forward they have 'declared victory' and it's time to move on to another criteria.... minimizing whiplash injuries and probably VSC.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    NONE. But you knew that already and where just taking pot shots right.

No, I did not know that.

But again you knew that as well.

Nope, you are making assumptions that are completely incorrect.

And, why do you use cite EURO NCAP testing results for Prius. They are not relevant.

The Subaru Impreza is smaller and older than the Prius and it received a good.
    See my preceeding post re: the Subies.

The question had been posed many times what were the crashtest results for the Prius and the answer was that they were likely to be the same as the EURO / NCAP's since the tests are the same.

IIHS spokesperson on MS/NBS this hour..
    The Prius did very well on both frontal and side impact tests and 'could improve' it's rear collision test performance, It remains the third ranked vehicle in it's class according to him.
  • Does anybody have any feedback on driving in bad weather conditions? I currently drive a Hyundai Elantra, and my husband drives a Dodge Neon, so I am expacting that by comparison, it can't be much worse. Would upgrading to better tires improve the car's handling of these conditions?

Thank you,
    Jennifer
  • tnanatnana Posts: 10
    I feel it's little unsafe to have the button for Parking exposed near other controls. It could get pressed accidently while driving and trying to turn on wipers or openeing vent etc.

The button needs a cover.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Well, first off it's not a "parking button". It's an on/off switch. If you press it when driving it will shut off the car but will not engage the parking "pawl" until the vehicle stops. If you accidentally press it just press it again to turn the car back on. You can select "park" using the shift lever, but again, it will not engage the "parking pawl" until the vehicle stops moving. Several owners have tried it to see what happens, and that's why we know. ;)

This is no different than any other car on the road. You can put any automatic into "park" while moving. Most will not engage the pawl until stopped. Some older vehicles will try and can lock up the wheels or damage the pawl once they slow enough for it to drop in.
    You can also turn off the keyswitch on any vehicle when moving. Not a good idea as it can lock the steering.
  • Hola to all. Speaking of safety, I'm a family man with 2 very young ones. I need a car and my first choice would be a M3 from BMW however, with 2 young ones, gas prices, and my heavy foot driving style is not a good combination. My 2001 Odyssey is a exexcellenthoice but, it also consumes mucho gas and money so, I will get a Prius.

I have done research on the Prius and have over 6 hours of driving and testing. Everything is good (NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE PRICE) but, SAFETY.

I did a image search on Google about "Prius accidents" looking for pictures and stories about how the Prius stand up to reality.

In my inconclusive search I found a constant, the Prius is junk in a over 40mph crash. So, I said "have that Gap Insurance ready" but, what about people's injury? and how serious they were?

ANy iminput
    Raf.
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    With a young family and wanting a safer car to drive, I would get a Camry Hybrid or the Highlander Hybrid, AWD. :)
    The Prius rates very good in crash protection of occupants. In all highway crash aftermath pictures I have seen (6 so far) the passenger cabin was intact. The Prius does sacrifice itself to protect the passengers, and it looks rather dramatic (engine under passenger cabin for example, or hanging off the front). In most cases the doors still opened! Injuries I've heard about were mostly from the G forces, not from the body collapsing into the passengers. This included two collisions with SUVs. In one other head on collision with a Celica on the highway, the two people in the Prius walked, while one in the Celica died and the other two were helicoptered to hospital.

I think there is a crash test video on the Prius somewhere on the net. It was posted on Priuschat.

As far as the price, it's about the same as a Camry. The Prius has about the same passenger and cargo room as the Camry, so I think it's a fair comparison. The Prius has more usable space, due to the hatchback. In hybrid form, the Camry has less room than the Prius. The Camry hybrid is more comfortable on long trips but gets worse mileage than the Prius. There is a comparison thread over on Priuschat.
    "As far as the price, it's about the same as a Camry. The Prius has about the same passenger and cargo room as the Camry, so I think it's a fair comparison. The Prius has more usable space, due to the hatchback. In hybrid form, the Camry has less room than the Prius."

:confuse:
  • ck90211ck90211 Posts: 129
    I second terry92270's assessment on Prius space (vs. Camry). I have two kids (14/10), one is a six footer, and no problem with Prius at all, although it is narrower than a Camry. Prius truck is wonderful, I can shop at Home Depot and Ikea without thinking twice. And the 10 extra mpg of Prius over Camry Hybrid is a nice plus too.
    Actually it was my assessment. Terry didn't understand it. Sooo...
    - luggage rm leg room head room shoulder room
    Camry 15 cu ft F41.6" R38.3" F39" R37" F57.8" R56.7"
    Prius 16.1 cu ft F42" R38.6" F42" R38.6" F55.3" R53"
    Cam Hy 10.6 cu ft F42.5" R35.7" F39" R37" F57.8" R56.7"

You can see the Prius has slightly more cargo room, but it's more usable because the hatchback gives a larger opening to load oversize objects.
    I used the Camry without moonroof as the Prius doesn't have one.

Note the Camry weights 300-600 lbs more than the Prius (600 lbs in Hybrid form).

All numbers from the Toyota.ca website.
    Well, the measurements don't lie, but the Camry Hybrid sure does seem bigger inside! :)
  • tnanatnana Posts: 10
    Well I don't know which year model you are talking about but I am talking about 2006 model. It has On/Off Swicth which goes behind steering wheel. But it also has a parking button between shift lever and driver's right vent. This button needs to be pushed to put the car in parking gear. The shift lever can be used to put the car in Reverse, Neutral, Drive and Drive2 only.

I tested at 5MPH in both Drive and Backup mode that pushing Parking button HALTS the car. I wonder what will happen if the car is at higher speeds.
    ">
    If you test that, make sure you are wearing your seatbelt. :P
    Yes, always nice when people with no life try to tell others what the reasons are they should or should not do something. :P

I always wondered where all those old Communist bosses went to...
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    I have 2 Camrys, 2004 and 2005 models. My son bought a 2006 Prius. The Prius is every bit as roomy as our Camrys with regard to headroom and legroom. Where the Camry excels is in its extra width, so if you need to regularly carry 3 adults (or large children) in the back, then the Camry would be better.

The 2007 Camry has about the same interior space as the prior generation (2002-06), but the trunk size has been reduced somewhat (gas engine models). With the Camry Hybrid, the battery reduces even more the available space and intrudes greatly into the opening when you fold down the rear seats.

One more thing, for the poster with a "heavy foot," I'd highly advise lightening up when you're carrying your loved ones.
This discussion has been closed.