Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prius Safety & Crash Test Ratings

124»

Comments

• recycler5recycler5 Posts: 5
    I have photos, but I don't know how to post them here. I'd be happy to email them to you.">
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,890
    Hi,
    Once you're a registered user in the Forums, you automatically have a carspace page - yours is at www.carspace.com/recycler5. There's a photo album area, where you can upload your pics. That's the best way if you want to make them available to other registered members.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Thanks Kirstie! I didn't know this feature was available! I don't have any burnt Prius to post but I DID have a 1963 Old that caught fire a loooooong time ago. ;)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,893
    Just sent you a CarSpace "friend" request to help you get your list of friends started on your CarSpace page. If you ever need any help or have any question about your page, don't hesitate to ask. That's why the hosts are here!

Hope you decide to join the ranks of CarSpace bloggers too! :shades:

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 2shocked2shocked Posts: 2
    On Sunday July 26 2009 at 2am my 2005 prius (fully loaded model) caught fire in the garage. The neighbors said that they heard 2 explosions (probably batteries blowing up from heat) and then the garage burst into flames. The prius, the garage and my wife's car were all totally destroyed. The firemen all said that in their opinion the genesis of the fire was with the prius. They said that fire was under the prius and surrounding the engine. We left the car in the garage at 9pm Saturday night, and saw the garage at 11:45 pm before going to sleep. Nothing about the garage looked disturbed or unusual. Is Toyota going to make this right?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Nope, you will need good home owners insurance. Of course if they don't you can always tell them that the photos and information will be all over the net and on Utube by the end of the day.
    Our insurance made prompt payment on my 2009 Prius which also caught fire in the middle of the night (previously posted), but I never heard how Toyota dealt with it. Last week I heard of another Prius catching fire in Santa Rosa, CA, but could not get any details. Please let us know what happens. I'm very glad nobody was hurt.
  • 2shocked2shocked Posts: 2
    Thanks. I have reported it to Toyota and to NHTSA. I'll let you know how it comes out. Any information about other non altered by after market prius's burning up spontaneously would be greatly appreciated.
    Photos of my 2009 Prius that burned up in the driveway in the middle of the night can be found at: http://www.carspace.com/recycler5/.5c9b8f0c/
  • whitey9whitey9 Posts: 138
    I am NOT saying this is the cause of the fire, but here in the Dallas area there have been a rash of midnite car fires believed to have been performed by "bored" kids.
    Like I said, I am NOT saying that is the cause, but there have been SEVERAL incidents by some drivers who have demonstrated to me by not only "non-verbal" communications ( finger-pointing ), but also some who have passed me with so little space between my car and theirs that I was surprised the outside mirrors on both our cars/truck didn't get torn off.
    This has occured several times as I mentioned earlier. I drive the speed limit in the second lane ( the one next to the exit/merge lane, NOT the very inside lane ).
    One guy in his bigg Ford P/U nearly scraped off my left side because I was driving the speed limit ( 50/40 ) on the exit/access road. When I came up behind him at the stop light, he communicated with me, again "non-verbally", so when the light changed, I returned the signal but with BOTH of my middle fingers. He sped to the shoulder, stopped and jumped out, but I was at my turning point and missed out on the "discussion".
    In short, some people just don't like Priui. Even if they aren't covered by "Save the Whales", or Obama stickers. Mine is unadorned. I just mind the speed limit, and try to maintain the following distance interval, much to other's chagrin.
    Perhaps yours was a victim of Priui haters, since it was outdoors.
    I am not familiar with anybody having a Prius fire in their garage.
    Not exactly. What I am trying to say is that there is always a weak point in every car. Like "the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" thingy. Something can go wrong with almost everything.
    There have been cases of GM large SUVs catching fire ( electrical ) when parked overnight.
    And maybe, just MAYBE the Prius has an occasional problem with catching fire.
    Some 1.5M have been sold worldwide, but few have caught fire.
    The old Pontiac sports coupe ( Fiero ) with the mid-engine ( behind the driver ) had a bad habit of catching fire because the valve cover gaskets leaked oil on the exhaust manifolds. Hence a fire.
    GM recalled some 1.5M for engine oil fires ( 1997-2003 ).
    If it is built by humans, it can break. Period.
    BUT not ALL will break. Only some.
    CHIN UP!
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,020
    I am not familiar with anybody having a Prius fire in their garage.

That is exactly what was posted. A Prius exploding and burning inside a garage.

On Sunday July 26 2009 at 2am my 2005 prius (fully loaded model) caught fire in the garage. The neighbors said that they heard 2 explosions (probably batteries blowing up from heat) and then the garage burst into flames. The prius, the garage and my wife's car were all totally destroyed. The firemen all said that in their opinion the genesis of the fire was with the prius. They said that fire was under the prius and surrounding the engine. We left the car in the garage at 9pm Saturday night, and saw the garage at 11:45 pm before going to sleep. Nothing about the garage looked disturbed or unusual. Is Toyota going to make this right?
  • that is exactlly happened to my friends 2005 prius on march 28th 2007 He lost everything he got out with his pants and shirt and that is all he lost his house there was nothing left to it.. it has been confirmed that it was the prius that caused the fire ,started by the battery, so it does happen and his was not the first one. in doing some research. there have been more. you will have to sue toyota as they will not make it right
    OKay, OKAY! So it does seem that some Priui have caught fire.
    But now, it seems that the ones I have read about are the ones that have been "modified" by NOT Toyota.
    Some have now Lithium-Ion batteries, instead of the factory Nickel Metal Hydride.
    AND they may be the "PLUG-IN" Hybrids we have all heard of, but not seen.
    An aftermarket company modifies these cars to be plug-ins, and the batteries are different.
    NOW! Are any of the Priui that are burning NOT these modified cars???
    Are FACTORY cars burning??? Or are they modified Priui that are catching fire?
    Let's solve this mystery once and for all!
  • this was a 2005 factory orginal no modification. all orginal factory parts with like 16,000miles or less on it. it has been verified by the fire marshall and toyota it was the prius that was at fault.and his wasnt the 1st one.
  • yes it was a hybrid
124»
This discussion has been closed.