Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prius Safety & Crash Test Ratings

Comments

• I have a 2006 Prius. A I recall, I noticed a slight burning smell when the car was new. I can't recall if it was someone at the dealership, or if it was this forum, but I learned that the culprit may have been the stuff they spray on the engine block to protect it from the effects of salt air during shipment.

Anyway, the smell went away after a couple of months.
  • galtguygaltguy Posts: 2
    hi my camry hybrid cought on fire in october of 07
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    can you give us more details please? Pictures? News stories?

Was it one of these kind of fires maybe?

">link title
    With all the jokes about having a car fire.... My brother had a lease on a Camry, late one night he hit a piece of angle iron in the road. Sliced his rear tire, bounced up and hit his gas tank somehow. He pulled into a parking garage only to find the flat tire was the least of his worries. He didn't have his cell phone, so he ran down the street to call from a 7-11. The fire trucks beat him back to his vehicle. It was a total loss. The parking structure had security cameras which showed him driving into the garage with his Camry on fire. To make a long story short. The insurance company claimed arson, Toyota took him to court and he wound up paying for the Camry himself. On top of that there were crimminal charges to fight.

There are these new Toyota adds where people are totalling their current vehicles to get into a Toyota....

There must be people who actually do this. Because the police, insurance and auto makers will come after you, even if it is not really your fault. So if you have this in mind or it happens to you by accident, you better have the same lawyers OJ had. It will certainly cost you more than the actual value of the car.

link title
    Not to diminish your Camry fire in the least, but as my posts have shown, lots of Camrys and many other types of cars catch fire mysteriously.

There is nothing inherent to a Camry Hybrid which makes it more flammable than any other Camry.

Toyota has more than a million hybrids on world roads, and if there was something unusually flammable about their design, we would know it by now.

Anecdotal reports of maybe three to six hybrid fires does not serve as proof that there is a problem.

Maybe if we had hundreds of them flaming in garages, yes. But search long and hard on Google to find any hybrids which mysteriously caught on fire and it's not easy to find anything.
  • jenniferljenniferl Posts: 2
    My daughter was in a collision this week. She was behind an Escalade moving through an intersection when the driver slammed on her brakes. My daughter was unable to stop in time and slammed into the back of the Escalade. Her hood was smashed back on itself, the winshield cracked, drivers door wouldn't open, and the engine was damaged. No airbags deployed at all, none!!! According to Toyota Corp. the bumper must be hit full on in order for the airbags to deploy. Since the bumper was lower than the SUV bumper it was not impacted. Everyone had their safety belts on, and yet she still hit the steeering wheel and sustained a chest and neck injury, The safety belt did not lock! Just want all of you out there to know about this issue.
  • whitey9whitey9 Posts: 138
    You mean like a bombadier's release switch? Nah! You're a grownup, act/drive responsibly.
    Get those "too tall" Escalades off the road. They are a hazard to cars and pedestrians alike. Too big AND thirsty.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "Get those "too tall" Escalades off the road. They are a hazard to cars and pedestrians alike. Too big AND thirsty. "

I assume you are willing to buy it, or pay for the owner to buy a new car? That is assuming that he doesn't have a large family and require a larger car...
    Was there a full-sized GM SUV present also? Apparently there have been more than a couple fires that can be attributed to the GMC/Chevy SUVs being a contributing factor.
    Also, the wiring in the cruise control system of the Fords seem to incite fires.
    There is a recall on this one.
  • spinningspinning Posts: 4
    i have a friend who had a 2005 toyota prius and it caught fire during the night and burnt his house to the ground, he got out with just his pants and shirt and that was it, he lost all. Yes it was the prius. Have you taken this mattert o court and what was the out come?. It was proven by the fire marshall it was the prius that was the cause. it happened 3/28/07
    Gerri
    NOT a hybrid! I didn't see it in the article I just sped-read.
    NOT a hybrid! No mention of it being a hybrid. I sped-read the article, but could not see any mention of it being a hybrid.
    NOT a hybrid?
    Never heard of it. HAVE heard of GM products catching fire ( NOT hybrids ), and even Ford having massive recall for cruise control switch causing fires.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    We got your message the first 3 times, but the 4th post was over the top. :P
    For me you begin to lose your appeal. You must have a Prius and think they are the best car on the road. You point out GM just to try and down grade them to make your point better. What about all the Toyota trucks they are quietly buying back due to frame rust on 2 year old trucks. I can remember back a few years ago when people were having problems with the display on the Prius and if I remember they were being charged like 2500 bucks or more for a rebuilt display and the common consensous was to spring for the extended warranty due to this problem. Any car built by humans can and do have problems and that doesn't bother me in the least. What bothers me is how the dealer/manufacturer does at fixing the problem and in that field Toyota I feel does the worst of most companies always dening the clam or their famous its running like it is supposed to like the throtle hesitation on the Camrys or the truck that the government finally made them recall after people were killed by it. Now thats really stepping up to the plate. :shades: