Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New HHR Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    Well, let's get some input from other HHR owners....based upon the oil life indicators in the driver information centers...what kind of oil change intervals are being recommended by your car? We just drive sort of normal...frequently hit 85 to keep up with traffic on I-70 & I-35, most driving in the 40-60 mph range. From what I've read 10K intervals are the standard in Europe....I think what the deal is....most Americans have been misled all their lives by the people that do oil changes....either that or newer engine designs just don't need changes as often.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,186
    Hhmm I don't know for sure as I usually change mine fairly early (30-20% left based on D.I.C.), but I just recently had 3rd oil change at about 25k miles, not much city driving at all. most is either interstate or rural suburban (mile or 2 between stop signs or lights). Some of us may remember when there used to be 2 service intervals listed in owners manuals, one for severe service (city, dusty roads) and one for easier driving (like interstates). I have always tried to find a compromise in the middle I could live with (haven't had an engine blow up yet either, though some have gotten a tad noisey above the 120k mile mark)
  • I know how you feel! I love my HHr so much, but I HATE the fact that I constantly have to turn my life upside down to find a way to get it to and from the dealership for repairs. :mad: I have had the HHR since Dec 05 and since then, I have a chip in my winshield and REALLY dirty seats. Those are only my simplest of issues. I started having trouble with my taillights blowing out constantly, then it moved on to issues with my interior lights, then the Driver Info Center was telling me that I had a door open while I was driving...pulled over to check it, and all doors were closed especially my rear hatch door! I couldn't get it open!!!! Then on my way home it flew open! I parked it in my driveway since the dealership isnt open on the weekends, and I couldn't get the headlights to shut off! When I finally got it to the dealership, they said that my wiring harness melted. They were very helpful setting me up with a rental, but they had to wait almost 3 weeks to get the parts to fix it. Then a few weeks later, my check engine light came on. When I brought it in, they said it was the coolant sensor, and they re-set it. Less than a week later, the check engine light was coming on and off for a few days, then the DIC said POWER STEERING and SERVICE AIR BAGS. I brought it to the dealer, and they replaced my thermostat, and said they don't know why the DIC was saying those things, but it isn't doing that now. (we'll see what happens when I pick it up) All the while I was having these problems, I have also had it in the shop for problems with starting. When I try to start it, the engine isn't really catching. I then have to tke the key out, then put it back in and try again. At that point it starts with no problem. :cry: I really have a feeling that it is all a MAJOR electrical problem, or possibly a Faulty computer. All I have to say is that I can only hope I can qualify as a lemon :lemon: and move on with my replacement HHR!!! All problems aside, I love this vehicle with all my heart, and would trade it in for anything else! :blush:
  • Hi. I was doing a search for problems with the Chevrolet HHR because we just got one when we traded our Nissan Quest to it. Every time it rains hard, blows and such the passenger floor board gets a puddle of water, it is now in the shop for the 3rd time and this is day 21 and they can not find the problem. sunroof drain hose was moved last time, and they hose it down but can not get it to leak. They have not take the actual door s off yet, the body shop manager said that it is so new that the water has not left a stain as water can in order to know where it is coming from. He said i can have it back tomorrow. WHEN it rains hard again, and i take it back, (4th time lemon law in KY) i will have to consider getting a lawyer in order to be fairly reimbursed they wont offer a new car or refund out of the goodness of there heart. I like this car, i am very dissapointed that it seems to be a factory defect and it is not getting fixed. :lemon:
  • I did not know this web site was around, and now i know that i do not have to be stuck with a car that has a factory defect but i can with all information lined up properly, get a refund or another car. Seek a good lawyer willing to file the correct papers needed with the car manufacturer. These car companies wont give anything if you do not push it yourself. Sympathy letters only warn them of what you are doing, just do it, get all garage and receipts of the problems and read on your state lemon law rights. :lemon:
    Sounds pretty trivial compared to the $6,000 worth of engine,-electrical,-brake, &-body warranty work that was done to my last new Toyota.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    does a water leak qualify under the state lemon law...I was under the impression it had to be safety related.....might be wrong.....I had a check engine light that couldnt be fixed on an 03 vehicle....never got it off the lot before it would come back on...never got more than 150 miles on the new vehicle....the general manager of the dealership finally made it right and got me in another like vehicle..even had more options....

you have stated how you have approached the dealership other than the service department....have you taken it beyond that.....to the management..to the regional service reps...etc.....a good lawyer also costs time and money.....also be advise if you have mileage on the car in excess of the normal...12-15K.....you will still probably be liable for some costs as well.....
    UGH water leaks can be very difficult to find. I would suggest trying to find where water seems to be tracking from yourself when it happens again. Some places I have heard of leaking are the door seal (part of weatherstrip is taped on and sometimes tape is loose). Also check cabin air filter to see if it gets wet (gasket near there may be problem). There may also be a rubber grommet through firewall that could be suspect.
  • I Purchased a 07 LT. I wanted a car i could tow 4 down that was automatic. My HHR fits the bill. Also gives me some storage space for things I don't want to put in the Motor Home. Not many miles on it yet but I do like the retro styling. Also I wanted something that would suplement my MH gas milage.
  • cc732cc732 Posts: 6
    Had the same problem with mine, water leaking onto the floor and the fan motor control resistors blowing out. (had only high speed fan).
    The dealer found on the first try that the fan motor housing gasket was faulty and installed a better gasket. After driving through a heavy rain a few days later. it leaked again and no fan speeds. He replaced it again and so far 3 weeks later and 2 heavy rains, it hasn't leaked.
    I have to give the local dealer credit for fixing this and the sticky key/shifter cable problem. They try their best and fix things promptly
  • In case you're considering the HHR... here are some things to consider (I like my HHR, but I'm giving it to my son and buying a Camry). As a less expensive car, it's not bad.

PROS
    ----
    Affordable (pd $22K for 2LT with all but onstar)
    Unique in look
    Back Storage area is big
    Nice headroom for tall people
    Seat heaters work well
    Storage compartment on top is perfect for GPS
    Radio is easy to control while driving
    Seats fold down easily.

CONS
    ----
    Blind spots are really starting to bug me!
    Not enough drink holders
    Plastic doors/floor runners don't clean easily
    Doesn't have the pickup I thought it would
    In-town MPG are far less than expected (less than 20?)
    Can't figure out when I can select outside air (refuses)
    Needs more usable storage compartments
    Window controls are in a bad spot while driving
    Requires highest octane gas (ouch!)
    Anyone find a better deal than the $9.99 / month - 3 year XM renewal price....last year my son found a one year deal for $77 .....
  • We just got a new 2006 HHr on January 27th, 2007 and so far we love it. It is great for just cruising around town. The only question I have is where else can I find the cross rails for the roof rack.. They are $300.00 at the dealership and that is way more than i want to pay.
  • Did you check Ebay. I found a lot of Mopar accessories for my 2007 vehicle there and at a fraction of the dealer cost. Actually most are listed on Ebay by dealers but with out the inflated price.
  • just to get back with you on the cross rails, I found that Thule 450 fits the HHR. They are called Thule 450 Crossroad Railing Mounted Foot Rack for Car Roof Rails for about $110.00 along with the Thule 50" Load Bars for about $50.00. I found the Thule 450 cheapest at Amazon.com and the load bars at Auto Barn. So for about $160.00 plus shipping, it is better. :)
  • Hello everyone, if you like the Chevy HHR, check it out here : http://www.chevy.com/carwash/?movieid=9084D82E-2503-4934-A99B-B247330B8352

Enjoy it.
  • I rented an HHR LT 2.4 liter automatic for a long vacation drive. Running on 89 octane 10% ethanol (not premium) the HHR delivered 32-35 mpg at freeway speeds (70 mph+). This was fully loaded for a vacation with three adults plus luggage. Even in town driving we got 26-27 mpg. Remember that ethanol has slightly less energy density than pure gasoline, so it might have done even better on premium, but I noticed no shortage of power or roughness as a result of using the mid-grade ethanol blend. I was impressed and the HHR is on my short list for the next vehicle. The ride was impressive for a relatively high fuel economy car. The 2.4 l engine was sewing machine smooth.
    Sounds like you took a nice long test drive :) I switched from premium to mid-grade on mine for the winter (Hopeing it would keep me from spinning tires on sloppy roads). I haven't seen any significant change in MPG as a result but have noticed a slight decrease in power going to 89
  • freddiebfreddieb Posts: 2
    We just picked up our HHR from the dealer after getting a rock in the radiator. Not covered by Chevy.. Poor design. Started to get in the car and found water on the passenger side floor. We don't have a sun roof? Made Chevy note this on the receipt. I'll have to keep checking. Maybe it will go away... Doubt it.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    They probably left the window open in the rain!

What do you mean by poor design? I took a good look at the grill and then looked at a bunch of other vehicles (all marques) and found that most all have the same or larger openings. Is it something else?