Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New HHR Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• lacolaco Posts: 28
    Have had an 07 HHR almost a year now. It has yet to go back to the dealer for anything but routine service. As far as mileage, I consistantly get 34 or 35 MPG highway, but then I do have the five speed, and I don't drive it hard. I average around 28 MPG city, but again I don't drive it hard. The visibility, or lack of it rear ward, does take some getting used to, but it certainly isn't that big a deal. We have two other cars, both larger, one a very large SUV, and the car of choice is almost always the HHR. We are contemplating a trip next month, will probably cover 3500 to 4000 miles and we have decided the HHR will do just fine for that. Has any one installed a GPS, in their's and if so, how and where did you mount it? Any idea's here are welcome, space is really limited for anything added on.
  • kernickkernick Posts: 4,072
    I was watching the news a few nights ago, and the report stated that police were advising people not to mount the GPS on the window with suction cups, even if you take the GPS unit down. Just seeing the marks the suction cups left was enough to get the thieve to break-in and check for it; as most people would probably leave it somewhere else in the car.
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    My friends GPS that he gave to his son has adapters for both the windshield and the dashboard. I think the dashboard is velcro.
    Agreed with 62Vette, you need to break the engine in more to increase the mileage. Everything is so tight right now. Running your tires at the max psi will increase mileage but your ride could be slightly bumpier. I'm not sure where you live but in most states the gas is changed at this time of year with the ethanol for the winter which will give lower mileage. Also the brand gas sometimes can effect mileage as well as cold weather and driving style.
    I would, I think, prefer the dash mount, but on an HHR, where would that be without obstructing controls to something? Sitting on top of the dash, would be quite a visual obstruction, given the small windshield.
  • I think from what I read the issue concerning the rattling in the dash was solved. My wife has the '06 Spring Addition and it started rattling about 6 months after we got it. She said she didn't hear a thing and fought me over taking it in...the statement was "you always say there is something wrong with my car".. So we dropped it off at Gordon Chevrolet here in Jacksonville, Fl. on 2/13/08.. We get a call and the guy says, "we have to replace the steering column". It is a warranty issue so I am thrilled about that. The folks there are good to their customers from what I hear. As for the some of the other posts. I have the 2.4l engine and it gets 26mpg everytime.. Most of the driving is in town and the highway is truly 30mpg as long as you don't go over 70mph. I guess everyone by now has heard there is a recall due the HHR failing the side impact test. They said they will have to add a brace in the roof somewheres...? Overall we like the HHR but it could use about 30-50 more horses.. Did anyone see the 2008 Turbo Charged HHR at Daytona..?
  • I've had my 06 HHR in the shop twice in the last two weeks with the same problem. The first time I received a song and dance about how something was clogged with leaves. On the second visit they admitted there was a bulletin on the leaking problem with something on the frame of the vehicle not being sealed. Because I'm ashmatic they are replacing everything that got wet right down to the carpet. Three times in without it being fixed makes it a Lemon.
  • Yes, I've got the same leak and I don' t have a sun roof. There is a bulletin out about a seal problem with the body of the vehicle. I'd take it back to the dealer and have them pull up the bulletin.
  • Bought one new in 07. Have 2K miles on it. Always garaged when not being driven. The paint has almost a sandpapery feel to it in places. Two coats of Turtlewax Platinum did nothing to smooth it out. Also noticed that the plastic sheets on the leading edge of the rear fenders are almost perforated thru. Other than that, the only other "problem" was actually the way the steering wheel is made. There are two holes used to release the airbag. Mine looked like someone poked them in the housing with a screwdriver. Dealer replaced te wheel, and the new one looks almost the same. Yes, I did ask to see my old one.
    The first trip was taken at 100 miles, and gave us 34MPG on the 400 mile round trip. Not bad at all.
  • Ok, got mine back from the dealership after round two and the leak was found to be, "Water is entering the vehicle throught the HVAC Case. Removed the cowl panel to find that butyl patch was not sealing properly. The cabin filter and carpet both have mildew growth on them. Replaced the butyl patch, carpet and the cabin filter." So, if you're having the leaking problem and your dealer is having a hard time finding it, you might try looking at the above. I have to give my dealership props in that they gave me a rental car and when they returned my beloved HHR it was filled with gas, washed and there was new carpet in it. Also, if you have the leak make them look for mildew. That can be a major health risk. But I have to say that Nimnicht Chevrolet took very good care of me. Hopefully the leaking problem is finally solved. Also, I do not have a sun roof. :) ;) I still love my HHR. :shades:
  • hhr_roxhhr_rox Posts: 1
    Just purchased an 06 2LT with 7K on it, 2.4/ AT so far issue free but its only been a couple weeks. Really like the vehicle, took our first trip in it, 1400 miles round trip thru the Blue Ridge Mountains, avg 29 MPG, rode nice, fairly comfortable and I am a reasonably big guy. The 2.4 seems quite capable at highway speeds. The HHR is not the perfect car but it does perform decent and provides some personality.
    I have only driven on short drives but I have heard their nice on the highway. Because of Heritage High Roof (HHR) there can be some wind buffeting from cross winds as most any light highroof vehicle. The Cobalt is also a very nice smooth highway car that shares its chassis with the HHR.
    Have driven my 2007 iin some pretty high crosswinds. It is really pretty stable for a small car.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I picked up my new HHR last Monday and first thing I did was ditch the cheap Firestones for Goodyear Assurance triple treads. Should come in real handy during these Michigan winters. Added some weathertech floor liners and have a BlueOx baseplate and wiring kit due in this week so I can tow it behind my motorhome.
    Have a Blue Ox baseplate and tow bar for ours, tow it behind our diesel pusher. Tows great, don't even know its there, except for the image in the rear camera. I also had the US Gear brake system installed. Its simple, only need to plug it in, and it too works great.
  • megan03megan03 Posts: 4
    Just purchased 2008 LT Shadow Edition. Includes leather seats, enhanced sound and all the stuff that comes in the "special edition".

Great car. Way more comfortable than the one with cloth seats we drove first. Love the heated seats.

It has the 2.2L which feels adequate. Guess it could be faster...but I bought for a third car to get better mileage than our Suburban and F150 (daily commuter).

Car was delivered with two of the Firestone Firehawks out of balance. Dealer could not get them to balance so they have replaced them.

This is alot of car for the money.
    I am not familiar with the Shadow Edition. So it sounds like it comes with leather and a sport suspension with those Firehawks. It's very possible that those tires could have been defects. That happens from time to time even from the tire stores. I to would be happy with the base 2.2 L engine because its pretty peppy and after all its only an econo box.
  • rdelucchirdelucchi Posts: 6
    Just traded my 08 Scion xB for an 08 HHR LT; got tired of driving the stick in commute traffic, and really didn't like the lack of lumbar support. Very happy with the HHR so far...
    I have a 07 Caddy STS and just got a new HHR with the 2LT and all the toys including Leather and find myself telling the wife to take the STS to work so I can use the HHR. A $24K car and a $53K car and I drive the cheap one. :blush:
    Only thing I don't care for is the instrument cluster as the blue background behind the numbers is hard to read sometimes so I'm having this put in next week.
    http://tinyurl.com/5zhvn6
    The company that makes these is only 60 miles from me so I emailed them and they will sell it to me and install for $150 total. Can't go wrong and should be a whole lot easier to read with my sun glasses on. :shades:
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    Please let us know how it works. We spend hours and hours getting the lighting just right. Making sure there are no hot spots, even lighting, etc.
    All they are replacing is the gauge faces, so it is still my cluster. Only thing I hate on orginal was the blue put under the numbers. If they had just left it black background with bright white numbers, all would be well.
  • megan03megan03 Posts: 4
    The Special Part is the color, wheels, rear spoiler, stereo etc... The leather is an option as I had two to choose from (one with, one without) when they were locating the vehicle.

Still loving the car and, while I am a die hard lover of my F150, I can say I really enjoy driving this car alot.

This past Sunday a group I am in meets and several are getting Prius'. After the meeting as people adjourned to look at the cars, I had more looking at my HHR than any of them.

It is a looker for sure.
  • lynnann50lynnann50 Posts: 6
    hi all...my Colorado truck broke down for the 6th time for electrical causes and at the dealer (I was 350 miles from home) I saw this silver HHR and traded for it. I loved driving it on the drive back home during the daylight hours and was delighted I'd made the trade..also...I love that is is styled after the 1950 (year I was born) Suburban...However...

Last night I had the first occasion to drive it at night...and OMG(dess)...on low beams I couldn't even see 100 feet ahead of me...it's like the upper windshield is blacked out! With highbeams it's some better...but heading down an incline...I can't even see the top of the next hill! Once back in "town" (I'm in the far northern reaches of Wisconsin)...it was much better with the lighting from streetlights and what not...but out on the wooded roads it was horrid! I drove with the lever pulled towards me in "flash" mode the whole way home (except when there was oncoming traffic of course) and that was barely passable. I'm used to watching the highway several hundred feet ahead of me.

Does anyone else find this disconcerting and are there different settings for the headlights in town and in rural surroundings???

If anyone has a suggestion...let me know PLEASE..I dread my drive home from work on Monday....lynnann :confuse:
    Congrats on the new ride. Though it shouldn't occur, it's possible that the fixed headlights are somehow out of alignment. I would contact the dealer to remedy the situation.

The HHR looks actually comes from the 1938 Heritage High Roof (HHR) though later years had that similar look.
    Just to add my 2 cents, if you look at a photo of a 1949 Suburban and the HHR side by side, the similarities are more than a little obvious.

As far as the headlights, it should be something the dealer can remedy. My HHR is certainly usable at night, so its not a design problem.
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Headlamps received a "Good" rating from Consumer Reports. You should try parking in front of a wall and turn on your headlamps and see where the point of aim is.

What I suspect is happening, however, is that you are used to the "aim point" on a raised pickup truck which is much higher than on a passenger vehicle.

While this may make for some problems when you drive, imagine how many passenger car drivers you were blinding all those years. :P

Now you get to use your high beams when there isn't any oncoming traffic - that's what we non-truck, non-SUV drivers have been doing for years. :)
    heya all thanks for the come backs...Incidentally...my OTHER vehicle is a Saturn LW1 wagon...VERY low to the ground..and yes...we have loads of huge pickups and SUV's up here in the nort'woods...so I do have appreciation about oncoming headlights in a regular passenger car.

Good news...last night's nightime drive home was much better...I just had to get use to it and I did use the high beams for most of the trip. I also had occasion to have another HHR (only the 3rd one I've ever seen up here) to pass me in oncoming traffic and I did notice their "glare" was much subdued compared to the other vehicles oncoming...so...I guess my headlights are a "good thing"...

I'm so completely in love with my new silverstone HHR LT and folks stopping in at my garden center think it's way cool as well.."it's perfect for you" is the common comment...I can't wait to see how many flats of flowers I can get into it next spring!!! prolly more than the Colorado.... love and peace...lynnann
    If you do a lot of freeway driving, please report back on your mileage. I've had my eye on an HHR since they came out and every owner report on mileage, driving habits, is helpful.

Glad you are happier with the headlamps!
    heya all...I do ONLY highway driving up here...once in town...there are only a few blocks either way...so no stop and go.

Since I bought the vehicle with a full tank of gas...which was supposed to be 14+/- gallon capacity...I drove it down to (info message said I could still drive 53 miles when the LOW FUEL light dinged on) and I put 15.4 gallons in it this morning. At that point my Trip A read...663 miles on that tank of gas...so...that computes to an unbelievable 44+ mpg!!!!!! :surprise:

While driving the interstate home after the purchase...and since being home for the week with only a few trips of 15 and 70 miles...the MPG message said I was getting an average of 38 mpg...which I was very happy with.

I love the fact that if I get a little heavy footed...or cruise at more than 2000rpms...I can SEE my mpg change...and the info about how many more miles on remaining fuel as well...it's just a wonderful tool for fuel conservation. :shades:

As I mentioned...my 2001 Saturn LW1 wagon-ette gets avg of 44mpg...so I really feel like I'm helping wage the war against fuel glutteny!!!! love and peace...treehuggin' still...lynnann
    There are two setting on the DIC - instantaneous and average - which setting are you using for the mpg information? The instantantous flickers up and down second by second....