Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    We just traded our 03 Accord coupe for an 04 sedan and didn't even think about the Maxima until we saw one. Probably wouldn't have bought one because we don't particularly like Nissan interiors of late but we coulda at least given it a look. Oh well, I'll console myself with some sad music from my XM radio :)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You traded your '03 Coupe already? You guys must be rich!
    just pregnant. The coupe wasn't quite going to cut it with a little gee on the way. I sure loved my coupe and couldn't think of a better replacement than an Accord sedan. Well a M5 would've been nice. Then you could call us rich :)
    I think certain colours work better with the front end. I also wish the car was about 4 - 5 inches shorter.
  • mrh3108mrh3108 Member Posts: 41
    How can the Accord and Maxima be considered in the same class. The 2004 Maxima is definately a step above and the price, as you said, is only a couple thousand less than a 2003 G35, comparible features.

My choice of an Accord was made easy when I test drove the Maxima, loved it, drove the G35 and determined that although I liked the drive of the Maxima better, the prestige of an Infinity for only $2K more was the ticket.

Then reality set in after I drove the Accord EX-V6. Although some nice features like memory seats, auto on headlights, a little less jump off the line, and maybe one or two other things, did not come with the Accord, the price was at least $8K less than the G-35 and $6K less than the Maxima.

Purchased the Accord and have no regrets. Still like the Maxima more, but I want to save that money to 1) purchase a larger house, 2) put my kids through college, or 3) buy a nicer car next time around.

The Accord is about 90% of the Maxima at about 75% of the price. However, the Accord met 100% of my needs (as did the Maxima).
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    working on fixing that on mine... hopefully soon, I should be getting a set of new springs to put in and maybe it will look a little less 4x4ish... 1.6F/1.2R drop... should help with the wheelwell gap, and maybe w/ some new tires I can get this to be a sleeper... =o)
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Well put! I think the 03 Max and the 03 Accord would be a closer match in terms of price, especially when you are talking about six months ago when Nissan was slashing prices on the 03 Max to make room for the new 04 Max.

Like you, I also think the Accord is a lot of car for the money, even more so than the Max. Although the Max has a few niceties that the Accord does not have (such as HID, heated steering wheel, memory and auto-exit driver seat), the Accord has better rear suspension and gas mileage, though slightly less horsepower.
    Congrats on the soon-to-arrive wee gee!
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    How does the Accord have a better rear suspension than the Max?
  • mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    The 03 max had a single beam setup which is supbar for a 30k car.
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I'm wondering how many actually sold in that range. 26-28K seems more like it, and at the lower end of that.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Lumbar alot sold at those prices some more, it was toward the end of the generation when Nissan slahed the price to make room for the 04's. If you some kno wabouthe rear beam it actually provides superior performance to the independent setup, only when the roads get rough did it get a bit jittery. The 00-03 setup was much better than the 95-99 rear beam setup.
    Thanks bodble, we are as happy as can be. Heard the heartbeat last week and thought I was going to die. I'm already whipped.

lumbar: You could get a 6-speed SE for $21,000 here in Atlanta but you can also get a $15,000 car with an independent rear. Even a Kia Sephia has an independent rear. An axle was pretty unacceptable for an up-level sedan like the Maxima.
  • baud47baud47 Member Posts: 1
    We have both, but for overall driving, I prefer our 92 Maxima (wifes car). Smoother ride ,sits higher, more room.
    For Excitement, sports car feel, the 98 Honda Accord is better(Kids car). I just have to concentrate on keeping the speed down, if and when I get to drive it.

We will replace the Maxima in a year with another Maxima. It has been a GREAT Car.
    It's interesting that you find the 98 Accord to be the sportier of the 2, because wasn't the 92 Maxima (or that vintage) when the "4-door sports car" slogan started? Or maybe your experience is just a testament to how much and how quickly cars have improved in a few short years.
  • 280hp280hp Member Posts: 36
    choose the maxima. more power. more luxurious. not an accord.

i think both cars are reliable and certainly more reliable than european models and the industry average, though hondas tend to be more reliable than nissans. this probably applies to maximas as compared to accords too.

as to bose, you know what it stand for, Buy Other Sound Equipment.

if sound is important. theres no way around it. you will have to replace factory/dealer fitted oem with customised.
  • klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    Well, I'd choose Accords over Maximas for the following reasons.

1. It's at least $4000 - $5000 less than Max.
    2. It's more reliable than Max.
    3. The interior is not much better than Accords.
    4. Accords have higher resale value.

Anyway, I'm not bashing the new Max. As a matter of fact, I have a 97 Maxima. In my opinion, the interior quality of mine is far better than the new ones. For some reasons, Nissan has cut the corners in the interior quality of its vehicles. They look good from the outside but it's a different story on the inside. If you want more power and more luxury, go for TL. It's a little more expensive than Max but it's money well spent.
  • 280hp280hp Member Posts: 36
    You've got a good point there about the TL. Yes, it does seem a better Maxima than the Maxima. More power and luxury.

If i were to buy today and had to choose between the 2, id probably also go the TL route.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    ...in the Maxima's defense, the average new TL is probably $5000 more than the average new Max, given that the Max can be purchased close to invoice and the TL is going close to MSRP.
    Assuming you pay invoice for a somewhat comparable Maxima the TL would cost $3000 more. Not bad considering you get a few more features with the TL and resale is likely to be better with the Acura.
  • klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    True... That's why I'm waiting a year or two for the price of the TL to come down. Hopefully, new design bugs experienced by the TL owners now will be taken care of by then.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I've never seen TL's going for near invoice, so I think the price diff will probably remain north of $4000.
    I based my figures on the assumption that one would pay MSRP for the TL.
  • tlccar1tlccar1 Member Posts: 3
    I'd take an Accord any day over the Maxima. The Nissan is a good car but the Accord is going to outdo the Maxima in reliability. The new Accord is very roomy and full of features for thousands less than the Maxima. I've owned four Accords, two reached 200,000+ miles and I just sold them because it was time for something else.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    It is a tough choice, particularly when the Max is now selling at below invoice. IMHO, I think the Max looks better (subjective), has more oomph (objective) and comparable reliability (objective), but lower resale value (objective). Can't really go wrong with either choice, but the Accord gives you more bang for your bucks (objective), though the Max is perceived to be slightly higher in "snob" value (subjective).
  • getzgetz Member Posts: 24
    Where are is the reliability comparison info coming from? Last time I checked, the maxima and accord were about dead even. And there have been a few problems with honda auto-trannies in the past few years. I think you really can't find an unreliable honda or nissan.
    -getz
  • morehpmorehp Member Posts: 30
    Getz, it may have been my bad luck, but I certainly managed to find an unreliable Maxima. Granted it was a 1995, but from what I understand, that was supposed to have been Nissan's reliability heyday.

I think that it comes to down to probability. Some automakers turn out many more poor vehicles than others, but it is certainly possible to buy a lemon from any manufacturer.
  • lilelvislilelvis Member Posts: 82
    We were really set on buying an Accord, but noticed how cheap the I35s are. The ironic thing was I had test drove an Accord when I was going to get an 03 max, and liked the accord so much, ended up not buying back then. Even though the I35 is just a dressed up old style max, we preferred it to the Accord and the Max GLE. Although the cars are not generally cross shopped, I think they are very comparable. We paid 26.5K for the I35 w/ cold weather and satellite radio. Thats probably a little over a grand more than an 05 EX-v6, but Infiniti has 2.9 for 60 mos. I'm sure we would have been happy with either, but went with the I35 for purely subjective reasons - objectively, they are very close IMO.

Just something to consider . . .
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    That is a LOT of car for that price, it's almost an unbelieveable deal. Now, that's assuming you're going to keep it awhile, since the '04 I35 will be *it* they're going to bite it on resale.

I'd take a Maxima over an Accord. More personality, and more fun to drive as well. Maxima really avoids the "Camcord" label well by being unique, Nissans in general really stand out against their Japanese competition.

A Honda does have better resale, but it's all relative. Nobody buys a new car because it's an investment! I'm not about to buy a car that I think is less interesting because of resale, that's being practical to a fault. Logic says that if I do this I will tire of the car quicker, and as a result dump it earlier so where am I ahead?
    Problem with the I35's is that they do not have a fully independent suspension which is a requirement for me.
  • lilelvislilelvis Member Posts: 82
    It was only the fact that the I35 came down so much in price that we considered it. I REALLY like the Accord - Even the back end does not bother me as much anymore. I do like the fact that the Infiniti is not as common. One of our hesitations is the appearance of owning a luxury brand, but I really don't think the I35 is flashy and other than the name, I really consider it a similar car to the Accord when you compare plusses and minuses of both. I wanted to throw it out there because a lot of people wouldn't even consider the I35 thinking it is a much higher priced car.

As for the independant suspension, I certainly would have preferred that. Again, the Accord definitely has some advantages. But in test driving the I35 over some rough roads, I really don't think the difference was very perceptable. I was looking for a sporty family car and the I35 fits that bill (as does the Accord). Certainly other people will drive their vehicles more toward the sport end of the equation and I could see them favoring the Accord.

Sorry to make the post longer, but I guess I'm still excited about the new car . . .Some of the issues we considered with both cars:
    Limited int/ext color combos of both, but liked the I35s combo
    As stated, would have preferred IRS, but didn't notice enough of a difference to sway us
    Liked the Dual Zone climate of the Accord, but with heated seats didn't think it would be a big deal
    Liked the heated mirrors and steering wheel of the I35 (don't really care about the heated rear seats)
    Liked the extra room of the I35
    I really didn't care about warranty and resale as both are very good cars and I'll keep it for 10 years
    Liked the lighted controls and side curtains on the Accord, but again, not enough to sway us
    On a vain note, Honda says value and pragmatism (which I like) whereas Infiniti has a bit of snob factor (which I don't like), but since the I35 was a good value and is not flashy, I'll live.
    As you can see, these are really close vehicles (regardless what the Infiniti dealer tried to say).

Thanks for the ear and good luck!
  • maxfanmaxfan Member Posts: 5
    I sold Hondas for seven years and I thought that they were the best cars on the road. And I still think that they are some of the best cars on the road. But then I bought an 02 Maxima SE and I love it. As they say, IMHO, nobody builds a more powerful and sweet engine as Nissan does in their 3.5L treat. I think that the new TL is one of the finest cars available on the market today. It blows the 3-series off the floor and gives the 5-series a run at 2/3's the price. But what it comes down to is value. If you keep your car at least four years, the Maxima will reward you. You will be happy every day you drive it, it will be incredibly reliable, it will continue to be a babe/oh my God boy catcher, and it will never get old.
    I can buy a car all day long that has great resale--Ferrari Daytona. You tell me what is resale v. reality?
    Granted, you can buy a used Nissan Maxima for less than you can an Accord given the same time and mileage status. But when you add for the V6 versus the I4 and toss in the automatic transmission, and frankly, a bunch of other simple ammeneties why compare?
    do you think that the transition to strut type vs. full double wishbone suspension has caused a loss of brand loyalty?
    I like the competition. All of them make good cars and the competition is intense. I sold Hondas, I own a Nissan, and I have driven the new Mazdas. That is the [non-permissible content removed]. Each car is comparable in its own way.
    The Accord still has front and rear wishbones to the best of my knowledge.
  • duke_waduke_wa Member Posts: 12
    I have to agree with maxamillion, I test drove Accords (and XLE V6 Camrys) and the used y2k Maxima that I just purchased seems to have more personality and the engine is sooooo sweet. From what I've read, the Maxima and Accord have virtually the same level of reliability. That's why I decided on the Maxima. Every time I drive it, it always reminds me, "what a car!"
    My Accord does the same for me so to each his own. Never got into the rear styling or the rear axle of the Maxima but the V6 engine is nice.
  • duke_waduke_wa Member Posts: 12
    Hear, hear, Maxfan. I feel the same way about my y2k Max and it's only the 3.0 V6 engine with 222 horses. What a sweet car this is. The quality is something else. I read the reviews about the Maxima and did all kinds of research before I test drove one, but I never realized just how nice this car really is! Drive it, you won't be disappointed!
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Have you actually driven a newer Maxima? It's not an old-school solid rear axle like something you'd find in a pickup truck or Mustang. I have an '03 and to be honest when I was doing test drives it just blew the doors off the Accord. I didn't notice the lack of IRS, both cars had similar "sport-type" suspensions where you felt the bumps, but not enough to jar your teeth loose.

The Honda felt a bit "nimbler", for lack of a better word, but the Nissan had a nicer interior/exterior (IMO, this is obviously subjective) and was a rocket. Like my older post above spells out, I just couldn't justify buying a car that I felt was inferior in almost every way just for the Honda name. It was significantly more expensive as well, although resale would make some of that up.
    I've driven several newer Maximas. They are great in a straight line but became rather nervous on bumy roads and going around corners.

The Maxima does have an OK interior but I prefer the interior in my 04 Accord over the interior in the 00-03 Maximas.
  • onegineeoneginee Member Posts: 3
    Everyone likes to think they made the right decision buying their car. Once they own it
    their judgement tend to follow their ego. Everyone is naturally biased toward saying their car is the better one.

I was the owner of a nissan max and I bought an Accord EX V6 one month ago. I had a few problem with the maxima (which I was a second owner) decided to trust Honda legendary liability, high resale value, and low mileage. Today I have now doubt in my mind as to which car of the two is the better one. The Maxima surpasses the Honda. It is much more responsive, the engine is just way beyond the honda V6. It is not just power but torque and reponse at all rpms. Another thing that greatly disapointed me with the Accord is the ABS brakes. How could i have missed that when I bought it. It is ackward and a little grabby. All Accord owner go try the brakes on a maxima, you will see the difference for yourself.
    The mileage of my Honda is 7 miles below what was written on the window sticker! The suspension is better in the maxima too. I am a classical music listener and the Accord sound system can not compare with the Maxima Boose. Finally last but not least, the accord has little style both estheticaly and in its driving.
    So why did I buy the accord ?
    I had problems with the nissan transmission (2nd owner) and so I went for the reliability of the accord. but I will never again buy a Honda. Probably a NEW nissan, infinity or a BMW...
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    What model year was your used Maxima? What model year is your Accord?
    Most of your complaints should have been discovered during your test drive.

The gas mileag will improve as you break the engine in. Most Hondas don't see their peak MPG figures until at least the first oil change.
  • max05max05 Member Posts: 29
    I came very close to buying an I35 in August for $24,300 (no heated seats, so add $800 if you need them)....they were going to give me $10,000 for my trade, which was a 2000 maxima (5 years old), so an out the door price of $14,300....I offered $14,000 and we were both stubborn and I walked...I ended up a month later with an 05 maxima SL fully loaded for $17,000 plus my trade, so basically for $2,700 I got more horsepower (265), 5 speed auto with manual mode vs. 4 speed, heated seats, heated steering wheel, memory seats, power folding mirror and power steering wheel, better BOSE stereo (320 watts vs. 200)and a one year newer model vs. a soon to be discontinued car....with all that said, i loved my 2000 maxima, and i'm sure i would have been happy with the I35 if thats how it ended up....bottom line, you can't go wrong with either....by the way, i have not seen another ad close to the $24,300 price in months...
  • attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    Agree. I went with Maxima ( two '95 and one '02 with total of 200k miles between them). I was about to buy '04 Maxima but the external appearance was awful, kinda like new 5 and 7 series with big slabs of lumber on the trunks. The designer of these new models should be fired. My wife's 325 is different, it is nice but I still prefer to drive the Maxima. Anyway, Accord is no match to Maxima. Not sure about the hybrid Accord. However, even though the hybrid maybe more responsive (big IF), I still vote for the OLD MAXIMA, not the ugly NEW Maxima. Accord looks too bland like a regular vanilla.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Are you voting for the "OLD" Maxima (with those round taillights... it was uglier than the current generation), or are you voting for the two generations old one?
  • attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    I am voting for the 02 Maxima, with round tail lights. I think it is nice, unique...I love the tail lights. It looks more muscular than the other max.
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    I have always admired the Nissan vehicles, and I have looked at them when my wife and I were in the market for our Hondas. We didn't pursue the deal with the Nissan dealer for the following two reasons: 1.) We were not impressed with the dealer in our area. ---- and --- 2.) We had a question about the extended warranty offered by Nissan, and when I contacted the parent corporation, they were not very professional over the phone. That in itself told me something about what we could expect from the dealer and the company! YES, I think they have a nice design, and maybe I would like to own one, but the Nissan dealer would have to work VERY hard to out perform our Honda dealer, both in terms of customer satisfaction and service.
This discussion has been closed.