Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Didn't Nissan up the horespower from 190 to 222 from the 99 to 00 model year for the Max? Also between the 01 and 02 Maxima model years they upped the horsepower again from 222 to 260. I guess the 260 was to match the Acura TL Type S horsepower.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Actually the final increase was to 255. Funny thing though was that performance did not improve by the same degree that you would expect with that much stated HP increase.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    I recently test drove a new 04 Maxima and I think the exterior of the car is really well done (except the grill). The interior of the car is quite a different story…it’s down right cheep.

If one compares the interiors of the new Accord and the new Maxima, the Accord wins by a long shot. By the way the Honda is about 6 or 7 k less!
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Posts: 650
    Personally, I'd rather have the G35.

Booble,

We agree to disagree.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    I would also rather have the G-35.

However, it's about 35K!
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    The 00/01 or the 02/03 share no body parts with the 95-99 and is a totally different looking vehicle from the front to the rear and look as different as the 95 does to 00 and 00 to 04. As far as the power increase for 02 their is a noticeable diffrence in performance vs the 95-01's especially with the automatic. Guys are running 0-60 in the mid 6's whereas the older ons are mid to high 7's which is a considerable difference and the lowend torque/pull is so much better. Hell auto 350Z are running low 6's to 60 and manuals mid 5's and manual 02/03's to 60 in High 5's to about 6 expect the the 04 Maxima to be on par with the 02/03's I dunno what some expect out of the Max but it delivers well for what it is. go to Maxima.org if you have doubt plenty of things to show/prove the differences!
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    Well, that's like saying that the Accord wasn't redesigned. Is it not? The Maxima received a new Interior, new exterior, more power, and it was roomier than the model before it. A facelift is only when you update the front and rear end, and mayber add some new features. The 2000 Maxima WAS a redesign.

Again, if the 2000 Maxima wasn't a redesign, the new Accord surely isn't because in some ways it still looks similar to the previous Accord, plus don't they share the SAME suspension?
    tedescm,

You can pick up a G35 without leather, for around $27K.

Maxamillion,

We both know that the 2000 Maxima was a re-design. It seems that Honda owners are "all knowning" about Honda and about Nissan as well...let's not burst their bubble...ignorance is bliss.
  • mikek37mikek37 Posts: 411
    A G35 for 27k, I dont think so!
  • A reliable way of knowing a complete redesign from a facelift is noting the door and window appearance, especially the C pillar. It's because the door & window assembly is one of the more expensive body parts due to the parts associated with it like the glass and various mechanisms.

Carmakers are either masters or amateurs of carbuff psychology in the way they treat car windows. Ford, for example, changed all body panels except the doors & windows on one Taurus generation and to the car enthusiast, the car was just a rehash. Ditto for Explorers. Audi, on the other hand, gets the windows right (particularly the A6) and their cars are forever regarded as beautiful - if not problematic.

On the 2000 & 1999 Maxima, Edmunds' photos indicate a complete redesign based on this reasoning.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    mikek37 is correct about probably not being able to get a G35 coupe or sedan for 27K unless you are a really great negotiator, or have friends at Infiniti. According to Edmunds, the TMV for a base auto sedan and manual/leather coupe is about 28K for the sedan and 29.5K for the coupe. Still a great deal for a person that doesn't want to drive what everyone else drives (BMW), and the G35 may make it tough for Nissan to sell 04 Maximas for 30-35K.
    Good point.I would also choose the G35 over the 328i and the max.
    Infiniti typically marks up their cars about 9% from invoice. MSRP of a G35 sedan is $28,345 (with destination). Invoice on the car should be $25,843 (with destination). I don't think it takes a genious to offer $1,000 or $1,500 over invoice and drive off the dealership with a $27K or $27.3K G35.
    You are not driving the car off the lot for 27.3, youll be lucky to hit 30-31K after taxes. Doesnt make sense to say you are taking the car off the lot without including taxes and what not. Hell, if the G35 was 27K, I wouldn't have bought my accord.
    You pay tax, tag, tittle on any car you buy. I was talking about the negotiated price of the car. Unlike what others said, you CAN negotiate and get a G35 for a ~27K selling price. So if it makes you feel better, it's $27K + TTL.
    Much better.. lol..
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    Saw a 2004 Max at the auto show and did not like the sunroof going front to back on the roof. It also had hard plastic and the exterior is love it or hate it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Maxima has had love it or hate it styling since the '95 redesign. Oh, there's that "redesign" word Nissan fans love to see! I guess my bubble's been burst, whatever that means.

BTW, in retrospect, I suppose the 2000 did qualify as a redesign (that word again!). My mistake on that count. I guess my memory was clouded since the broomstick rear suspension was carried over.
    Hey, nobody's perfect, Nissan used beam suspensions. Honda built self destructing auto trannies. Toyota's engines gunked up. Thankfully, these are the top 3 Japanese manufacturers and have all corrected their issues.
  • Why does it have to be a broomstick? It's not that flimsy. It's not that bad of a ride. :)