Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    it grows on you like a wart...
  • speedracer3speedracer3 Member Posts: 650
    The Accord is refined because it is a "family car", it is meant to ride smoothly and devoid you from the driving environment as much as possible. It is mind-numbing. The Maxima is more raw, sports car like, and very enjoyable to drive. I guess it's all about what you are looking for.

Basic transportation: Go Accord
    Sporty fun to drive sedan: Go Maxima
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    devoid of driving environment...i think you have it confused with the camry. the accord is a great handling car, always has been. it also now has the power, enough to give it a "fun to drive" attribute that it never had before. i'll take the stealthy approach of smooth power over raw, torque-steering power that jars your teeth over every bump.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    While it's a great car (and better now with the changes for 2003)I wouldn't under any circumstances call it a "driver's car".

I consider myself a car "enthusiast" and I couldn't drive an Accord as my everyday driver.

I'd be so bored within the first 15,000 miles that I'd just hate to go out and get in it every day for my 125-150 mile daily (round trip)commute.

Then I wouldn't want to go to work, and well, it all just goes down hill from there :-(

Would I want one for my wife or my teenage son(s) as a safe and reliable method of basic transportation, absolutely.

It just has no soul (IMO).

Now my '00 Maxima SE on the other hand has 120,000 miles on it and I still get a kick out of driving it everyday. (Although I will admit that I'm starting to think about looking for a new vehicle sometime in the next year or two.)
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Holy Smoley! That's like from here to Seattle. That would be a weekend trip for us!
    The Accord is more fun to drive than a Camry, but nowhere near as fun as a Maxima. As other mentioned, the Accord is not a driver's car, it is a sedate family sedan.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Yes the Accord is just not as fun to Drive as the Max especially the Max SE. The Max SE interior/Exterior is for a guy that likes a sporty car that has to have the room or does he. The Accord nothing is sporty about it especially the exterior, anyway most guys that shop for the Max dodnot even consider the Accord at all. I work for Nissan Corp office in Irving,TX and most people that shop for the Max considered the TL/TLS more so than any other car according to our Market research and most are single guys. Accord was no where near the top few cars considered. Most people I see driving Maxima donot have a family whereas Accords and Camry they do.
    "anyway most guys that shop for the Max dodnot even consider the Accord at all"

I disagree. That statement MAY apply to the Maxima SE only. Even then.....

I've owned both Maxima SE and Accord V6, and I think the Max's "sport factor" is overrated. It's got alot of straight-line zoom, but then so does a Mustang GT.
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    and previous owner of 1987 Maxima I absolutely agree with a speedracer. I got Accord as a family car just 2 month ago and I am not looking for driving it. This is my wife's car. It is smoooooth, quiet, with an excellent passing power. When we went on a family vacation trip it was a really good. But it just doesn't give you the feeling which Maxima gives. I can't explain it, but as I said, after 2 months of owning this car I don't have an urge to drive it. I have my Sentra SE for more than 2 years and I still looking forward to drive every day.
    Look forward to driving a Sentra?
    When we were dating, my wife had a Sentra and I had a Civic, and the Sentra was more of a hoot to drive. If I was shopping for a small sporty car it would be the Sentra SE-R Spec V.
  • monte4monte4 Member Posts: 101
    Sorry Bodble I see the Market research every day here and its the truth bud. It applies to SE,GLE and GXE! You may think that the "sport factor" is overated but its true. Most people know the Max is a fun car to drive even the car mags which I take with a grain of salt and most of us here didnt consider the Accord either.
  • voochvooch Member Posts: 92
    "And now that they have corrected the suspension they make it ugly"
    If that ain't the pot calling the kettle black, good lord.

And do the WRX, EVO, and SRT compete with the Accord and Maxima? I didn't realize they were competing models. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as looks go, I'd take the dated current model Max over the '03 Accord every day of the week. No contest. You can mistake the '03 Accord for a Civic, is that good? Too me it ain't.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    but I must say that the Maxima SE seems sportier than the Accord EXV6, and even to a certain extent the Maxima GXE and GLE models seem sportier, but the SE seems more sporty compared to the GLE and GXE.

Comparing a Maxima GXE to an Accord LXV6.
    The Maxima seems more fun IMO, but it's not THAT much more fun.

Now comparing the GLE to the Accord EXV6. The Maxima does seem more fun, I don't know if sporty is what I could use to describe it, but I think the Maxima GLE is more fun than the EXV6.

As far as handling, the Accord is said to handle better than the Maxima.
    the reason people compare the max and the tl more than the accord is because the max is so ridiculously overpriced. people assume that it is an upscale car just because of the price. little do they know that the content/quality is no more than the accord, which is so much more reasonably priced.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "the reason people compare the max and the tl more than the accord is because the max is so
    ridiculously overpriced"

Is that so? Lets look at edmunds numbers

base msrp accord ex v6 w/nav 28260 w/o nav 26260

maxima gle 29765 gxe 25518 se 28465

Depending how you configure each model you could make the accord more expensive than the
    max and vice versa. Its quite possible you may still pay OTD less for a similarly equipped 03 max given the incentives/better deals available with the arrival of the 04's.

"which is so much more reasonably priced."

Not if you want the V-6.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    If you compare a fully loaded 03 Max GLE with a fully loaded 03 Accord EX V6, I think the real market price for the Max is about $1k more. Among other things, the Max has xenon headlights, heated steering wheel, automatic driver seat exit system, and above all, it is 100% made in Japan. The slight price difference is worth it, IMHO. Moreover, it seems the Max should be compared with the TL, not the Accord, which should really be compared with the Altima, since the Accord and Altima are available in 4 or 6 cyclinders, but not the Max.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    How much is safety worth to you?

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/00015.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0220.htm

I'd much rather have my money put into safety than into xenon lights and a heated steering wheel.

Xenon lights: $500
    17" wheels: $1500
    Well-designed safety cage: priceless
    "Depending how you configure each model you could make the accord more expensive than the
    max and vice versa."

actually, the max doesnt offer the navi like the accord does, so lets go with the exv6 at $26260.
    with the max at $29765, we're starting at $3505 difference. the accord has no individual factory options...the max has many. the accord exv6 is the only way to "configure" it.
  • maxsabmaxsab Member Posts: 2
    A Max GLE is 28089 vs. 26260 for the Accord EXV6, so while the Accord is less expensive, the difference under 2000. The Max has a memory driver's seat, xenon headlights, 17 inch wheels, and an awesome Bose audio system (according to the edmund's reviews). The Accord has the sunroof and heated seats standard, while the Max has them as options. Yes, the Maxima is more expensive than the Accord, but it comes with features that you cannot get on an Accord. If you take into account that Nissan dealers are really discounting the Max, I think you can get a Maxima for less than a comparable Accord.

BTW-Navigation is availible on both SE and GLE Maximas.
    According to carsdirect.com you can get a 03 Accord EX V6 sedan for $23,874. A Maxima GLE with sunroof, TCS, and the meridian package is $26,782. That's $3000 difference.

Features are trade-offs. The Maxima has xenons while the Accord has dual-zone climate control. The Maxima has heated mirrors but the Accord has LED gauges. The Maxima has 15 more HP but it's mated to a 4-speed automatic instead of a 5-speed automatic.

The major difference is in the safety and the resale value of the cars. Most important thing, especially considering it's a FAMILY sedan is the safety. There the Accord has a priceless advantage.
  • maxsabmaxsab Member Posts: 2
    I got 26225 for the max w/ meridian and sunroof and 24874 for the Accord EXV6 at carsdirect, which is less than 1500. (zip code 48374). Sure features are trade-offs, but xenon lights, 17 inch wheels, and a great audio system are IMO much more important than LED gauges and dual zone climate control. I'm sure they cost more money anyway.

While the Accord has better crash test results, I'm not petrified about driving my Maxima because it only got the second highest rating from IIHS. I think the Accord may be safer than the Maxima, but not by that much. I don't see the "major difference."

The main reason I like the Maxima more is the added fun-to-drive factor, especially with the 6 speed. Even though it is a FAMILY sedan doesn't mean it can't be fun too.
    You say:

"It's all up to the person buying the car to decide what's important to them. But the numbers don't lie, Nissan doesn't sell nearly as many Maximas as Honda does Accords and Toyota does Camrys"

That is correct and I am happy that this is so, beacuse the Maxima appeals to a totally different audience than the Camry and Accord. If I wanted a run of the mill, boring family sedan for the masses I guess CamCords are the way to go...Maxima is sporty, fun, and powerful. I test drove Accords and Camrys and driving them was totally blah. My Maxima still puts a smile in my face every morning....that IS priceless.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I also suspect that if we compared the sales of V-6 Camrys and V-6 Accords (very small % of their totals?) with the sales of Maximas (which are all V-6) the sales leader may be different.
    If you look at V6 powered cars only. Nissan sells more Maximas than both Camry and Accord combined.
    we should find a resource for this...very interesting question.
    you can't just compare sales of V6 Accord and Camry to Maxima because IF Accord and Camry are ONLY AVAILABLE with V6s, then they'll sell in much greater numbers than they do now of the V6 models. In other words, my point is that the availability of the I-4 in the Accord and Camry pulls sales away from their V6s.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    So how do you know that the V6 sales would be much greater? Have you done some sort of market analysis? I could just as easily say that the Maxima would sell in much greater numbers if they offered it with a 4 cylinder but this would be complete conjecture on my part. Do you honestly believe that those people that are currently buying $17,000 4 cylinder Accords would have dished out $25,000 for the V6 version if the 4 cylinder wasn't available. More than likely they would have walked next door to the Toyota dealership and bought a Camry or simply bought a Civic. I agree that the number of V6 sold would probably increase but by how much is not know by either you or I.

Also, do you really believe that sales figures have anything to do with how good a car is? All they do is show how well a particular vehical appeals to the masses. That is it.
    People buy I-4s because they are cheaper and more economical and that is why Toyota and Honda sell gazillions of I4s. Buyers who are looking for performance and power typically opt for a V6 and in this area the Maxima has an advantage. I've driven the Camry and Accord V6s and they just don't hold a candle to the Maxima's VQ series engine.
    "I've driven the Camry and Accord V6s and they just don't hold a candle to the Maxima's VQ series engine."

That's your opinion. The Maxima does have a nice V6 but the Accord 3.0L has nothing to be ashamed of.
    Hardly my oppinion, while the Honda V6 is a good engine (this year it made into Ward's top ten list), the VQ series engine has been included in Wards Auto World "10 best engines" for 9 years running. Ward has claimed it is probably one of the best V6s that the auto industry has EVER SEEN. Again, it is head over heels one the best V6s I've driven (my opinion).

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_best_engines_6/index.htm

It sounds to me like you:
    A) Have never driven a car equiped with a VQ engine
    B) Have never compared a VQ to Toyota and Honda V6 offerings.

So, which is it?
    Have driven many Maximas. Nice engine but not nice enough for me to forgive the non-independent rear suspension.

You can throw Wards around but the Accord has made it on Car & Drivers 10 best list for 17 out of 20 years. That's an evaluation of the entire car, not just the engine.
    No doubt the Accord is a very nice family car, but the Max is not only a very nice family car, it also has a great dose of fun for the driver.

The Accord engine is quite loud and moans a bit under hard acceleration, but the VQ engine greets you with a healthy and willing smile and propels you forward effortlessly. That is FUN.

Anonymous, seems you are out-numbered here by Max lovers. You should summon your buddies on the Accord board for help/rescue immediately :-) Perhaps they are on the Accord vs. Altima board, where the comparison is more appropriate.
  • mikek37mikek37 Member Posts: 411
    Um , can you say TORQUE steer, couple that with a non-independent suspension, and I see some cost cutting measures on the behalf of good old Nissan. Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed driving the maxima, the engine is great but it isnt shoulders above the accord.

Hmm, the accord isnt thirsty for premium, makes 240 ponies with a half liter less and enjoys lower emmission levels. So that entire theory of holding a candle to the beloved VQ is carp.

One more comment, the 2004 maxima, in my opinion is a sharp looking car, but the cheapos at Nissan still havent taken care of the torque-steer issue, what gives.

Kenny I just read your comment in regards to the Accord crying when it reaches the upper level of rpms, two words NOT TRUE. Have you read any reviews or even driven the car. The accord engine, no matter the gear or the rpm level will constantly pull, sorry it might not sound like the maxima, probably due to the fact that the accord is built with a greater level of sound dampening material and engineering. Honda could have made it sound nice and loud and racer like, but they DIDNT, and thank god for that.
    "The Accord engine is quite loud and moans a bit under hard acceleration, but the VQ engine greets you with a healthy and willing smile and propels you forward effortlessly. That is FUN."

What Accord have you driven? The same things can be said for the Accord 3.0L. Even my 2000 had a nice growl, was smooth, and was always ready to go. The Accord engines have yet to be called loud and I have yet to see a review call even the 4 cylinder Accord engine "moany". What I have seen is article after article criticize the amount of torque steer in the Maxima. But hey, I'm sure it's a nice engine to rev while you are sitting still.

I don't need rescue or help. Quite capable of handling myself. But if I needed support there are about 4 times as many Accord owners a year to help me out.
    I have driven the Accord and the Passat GLX 6 cylinders. Both are very nice cars, but the engines sound louder and coarser than the Max on hard acceleration ... that is my personal opinion. I agree with you that the Max rear suspension is inferior since it hops quite a bit on bumpy roads and I would prefer the four wheel independent suspension. But overall speaking, I still prefer the Max, of which I have three.

Also, IMHO I don't think it is appropriate to compare 4 cylinders with 6 cylinders -- they are in different classes and have different capabilities, under most circumstances.
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    I drove the 03 Max SE and an 03 Accord while shopping. The Max had an awesome amount of sheer power, but it felt like it needed it. Torque steer was obvious and the car felt like it would prefer straight lines to curves. The engine sounded good if you wanted to hear the engine, but I had a (subjective) feeling that it would only get louder as it aged.

The Accord had no apparent torque steer, and while it didn't feel like it had the same raw power, it seemed like it was applying it cleaner and with more finesse. The car drove smooth and didn't feel as "boatlike".

I'm coming from driving an old Taurus and to me, it felt like the Max handled a little better and had a whole lot more power than the Taurus. The Accord felt like it had a good bit more power and handling was in a different class than a Taurus.

Of course you could say my opinion doesn't really count because I ended up buy a 6spd coupe for even better handling.
    Torque steer: I don't floor my car at every stop light, so it is a non issue. Under normal acceleration a Maxima DOES NOT torque steer.

Twist beam suspension: Totally un-noticeble in normal driving. The only time it becomes apparent is when I go over very rough roads. You feel the bumps a little more. So?. Wouldn't stop me from buying the car. In terms of handling, twist beam is great because it keeps the rear wheels straight on curves and the car rolls less. Body roll on Camry's and Accords is pronounced.

Again, the driving feel of a Maxima is more sporty, more connected to the road. IMO Accords are just dull to drive. Just like ice cream there are different flavors, Accord owners like cushy family sedan car rides, Maxima owners choose fun sporty rides.
    It may be fine on perfectly flat curves but throw a bump on that curve and the Maxima's suspension will become disjointed. There is no excuse for Nissan NOT to have a fully independent suspension on a car that can sticker at $30,000. The beam doesn't provide better handling or more stability, Nissan used it for cost-savings.

You may think an Accord is dull to drive but that is your opinion. It's a nice balance. It's not the sportiest ride out there but it's not the dullest either. And I don't think anyone has every criticized the Accord for having a cushy ride. It has front and rear double wishbones which actually make for a pretty firm ride.
    You are right the Accord's ride is not the dullest, that award goes to the Camry, but the Accord is a not so distant second.
    The Accord is far from a close second to the Camry. In fact, that's why the Accord wins so many comparison tests. It maintains the virtues of the Camry but adds more.
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    The Accord should be compared with the Altima, not the Maxima. Aren't they closer in size, price and power?
    Reviewers are saying that the new Accord is more boring to drive than the previous one. I drove the previous Accord and it was a snoozer, I can't imagine something duller. I'll fall asleep at the wheel and have an accident. :)

http://autos.msn.com/vip/jedlicka.aspx?modelid=10588&src=vip

If I was strickly shopping family car, I'd take the Passat, much more fun to drive than an Accord. Too bad VW can't get it's quality problems under control.
    and most other max backers...

too bad you have to keep quoting reviews, and have never even opened the door on an accord, let alone driven one. lets try to have an understanding here...if you have driven both vehicles, comparison opinions are fair game...if not, then stick with hard facts and statistics.
    What part of "I drove the Accord and it was a snoozer" didn't you understand?. Before I got my Maxima I drove the Camry V6, Accord V6, and Passat V6. IMO the Maxima was the most fun to drive followed by the Passat, then the Accord and lastly the Camry. Granted, I have not driven the NEW Accord...so I will not comment on that car, my remarks were geared at the previous generation Accord.
    "Reviewers are saying that the new Accord is more boring to drive than the previous one. I drove the previous Accord and it was a snoozer, I can't imagine something duller."

this is the statement i was replying to. you cant imagine something duller, so go drive one!
    No need to drive it. I don't like the styling of the new Accord and I don't think I would consider it as my next car. I will however consider test driving the Acura TSX (Euro-accord), that car is very attractive.
    FYI, I was comparing the old Accord to the old Maxima...since by the way there is a new Maxima out...and since neither one of us have driven the new Maxima it's only fair to compare the old Maxima with the old Accord. Capice?.
  • spleckspleck Member Posts: 114
    Typically you compare cars that are available at the time. If I wanted to compare last years Accord to the Maxima, I would have done it last year. Next year you can come back here and talk about the 04 Maxima.

Now I understand why its hard to find a good car review. Anytime someone buys a car, all other competitors suddenly become inferior and you have to continue pushing your agenda to make your car seem better. It's done, you bought your car, you made your choice. You don't need others to jump on the bandwagon.

The objective of this forum is to discuss issues, good and bad between the cars. You make brash generalizations saying that "Accord owners like cushy family sedan car rides, Maxima owners choose fun sporty rides." That has no place here.

"Torque steer: I don't floor my car at every stop light, so it is a non issue. Under normal acceleration a Maxima DOES NOT torque steer." That's great that you've overcome this problem, but you can't hide a problem because its not important to you. You're not the one here to gain information useful in buying a car.

Here's the USEFUL information from your posts:
    1) Torque steer is only apparent under heavy acceleration. The twist beam suspension helps eliminate body roll, but is more sensitive to bumps and rough roads. I prefer the Max because I feel more connected to the road.

Sorry for the personal nature of this post...
    I am not here to show I've overcome torque steer. I am here to tell you that it is not such a HUGE issue as some people are making it out to be. The beam suspension is not a big issue either. The typical Joe consumer probably doesn't know the difference between a twist beam suspension and a fully independent one...and he probably won't notice either. The typical Joe consumer doesn't floor their car...so torque steer would not STOP him from buying the car. More useful to a consumer would be If I were to point out that Honda is experiencing a high number of transmission failures. I think tranny failure info is more useful to a consumer than saying that the Maxima torque steers under hard acceleration and that you feel the bumps over uneven roads.

BTW...I don't need to wait a year to compare the new Accord and new Maxima. The 04 Maxima is hitting dealers next month. The 5th gen Maxima is gone.
This discussion has been closed.