Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima vs. Honda Accord

Comments

• "Max owners tend to make al ot more money than Accord buyers and are primarily male whereas aAccords are female."

Just curious if above statement is hard data-based or comes from personal observations in a specific locality. Thanks.
  • achadhaachadha Posts: 106
    I have owned a 92 Camry Le, 94 Accord EX and a 99 Max SE. I enjoyed the Maxima much more then the other two. The 92 Camry had the smoothest ride but was just too boring to drive. The Accord was too small and the transmission was terrible. The car would jerk hard every time it would change gears. I had AC and suspension problems with the Camry. With the Honda I had AC and transmission problems. I did not encounter any problems with my 99 Maxima. I enjoyed driving the Maxima because of the handling and engine strength. My other two cars were 4 cylinders.
  • pbvdqpbvdq Posts: 14
    dklanecky: Thanks for the info on the rear beam. I'll have to read up on that some more, that article you posted confused the hell out of me, but gave me enough info to do more checking. Thanks again.

Monte4: I'm a female and I only make the medium bucks (as opposed to the big bucks, to me big bucks =$90K+) and I own a Maxima. I did want a sporty car. I didn't cross check the Accord either when making my most recent vehicle purchase. A4 and TL were the runners up. A4 almost made it to my "vehicles I've owned" list but options started to put the vehicle close to $40k. I think Maxima has muscle without looking like it has muscle (if that makes any sense).

Accords are typical here in South Florida. I think its safe to say that 1 out of 5 cars here in South Florida is an Accord.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    Your welcome.

I don't pretend to understand all of the information either but since I wasn't sure about the level of your "technical knowledge" I thought more information may be better than less.

In summary, most car "fans" seem to think the Maxima's rear beam axel is inferior to a 4 wheel independent suspension (like the Accord has).

However, it's been my experience (>190,000 miles on 95 Maxima GLE and >115,000 miles on 00 Maxima SE) that unless you really intend to push the car hard around corners (like with the tires squealing all the way) you'll never know the difference between the two.

What you will have in the Maxima is an incredible value right now with the ability to easily buy '03 at invoice (+$1,000 rebate)vs MSRP for the Accord, and the overall driving experience and reliability of the well proven Maxima drivetrain.

That said, it is a sportier ride (again IMO)than the Accord but they really are two completely different vehicles.

Drive both back to back and go with your "gut" feeling about which you like better.
  • I have owned three Nissan Vehicles in the last five years and I have not had one single problem with them. I know I would not pay $33,000 for a BMW only because I know people who have had so many problems with BMW's and I'm not into status imaging.

If I could afford it I would get an '04 because I trust the quality of the Maxima I have now and I believe the '04 will be no different in this respect. Also I checked out the 3 series horsepower on the BMW site; the '04 has it beat. I know a lot of people didn't care for the 5th gen when it first came out also, so this is just another go around of the same thing.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Since you are a current Maxima owner, just curious as to what you think of the '04's styling?
  • The more I look at it the more it grows on me. It didn't make my jaw drop like the Altima did at first. The rear of the '04 has the look of the Z with the stance of a Lexus GS---.

I love the side profile( it's on my desktop!). the front is what concerns me because, the logo in the grill is so overbearing in the pics, I have to see it in person first. Also how do the fog lights function? Is there any other car with fog lights on the side and not the front?

Over all I do like the styling. To me it fits in with the direction Nissan is taking their vehicles. They look similar, but are distinct in their own way.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Posts: 393
    those lights that are pointing toward the side are NOT fog lights, but are cornering lights used to better illuminate the area to which you are turning. They are supposed to pivot/adjust a certain amount of degrees to light the road ahead. Go to the nissan website to read up on all the new features of the Max.( it is very interesting). The fog lights are probably integrated into the headlight cluster.
  • monte4monte4 Posts: 101
    I work for Nissan Corporate Office in Irving,Tx, the stats come from info compiled from the Market Research Dept in Gardena, Calif.
  • Thanks for the info. Sometimes my browser gives me problems with sites that may use Flash or something like it. I can get to it but then I can't see anything on the site. Anyway I think that the car looks cool for what they have done with it. Maybe I'll start playing the lottery. :)
    It's kind of interesting the Nissan had cornering lights on the '95 - '99 Maxima but did away with them from 2000 - 03. I've always found them immencely helpful, especially turning into a dark driveway late at night.

And regarding the '04 Max, drak, I have to say my jaw did drop when I saw the first photos, but in a negative way. At this point, I don't like it at all, from any of the angles that I've seen. But I'll reserve final judgement until I see one in the flesh.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    Actually I believe the cornering lights were dropped after the 1995 model year. Anybody with a 96-99 Maxima that can confirm?
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    back in 1997 for the fourth generation model. So if the cornering lights were taken away from the Maxima, it probably happened in MY1997. The 4th. gen. debuted in 1994 as a MY1995...
  • just compared a 03 max to 03 accord ex-v6...theres just "something" the max has that the accord doesnt...hard to explain.....btw the 03 acords are piling up on the lots here in st.louis...gonna get an 03max when the 04 comes out--the deals on the 03 will be irresistible
    torque-steer?! :)
  • mikek37mikek37 Posts: 411
    Why would you ever buy a car that is outdated. The new 04 max is completely redesigned. The old mazima will end up becoming the prevous altima..

Oh yeah. .the new accord doenst exhibit that annoying torque steer that the max does.
  • For those of us who like all the features on the Maxima, and who drive cars until they die (ie don't care about depreciation), buying the last of the 5th generation (2003's) is a great deal financially. (The car doesn't have to be a fashion statement.)

I can pick up a completely loaded SE or GLE for less than $26,500 +TTL. That's a sticker of about $30k (without Nav).

I think the torque steer you refer to is probably because the Maxima has pushed to the limit the amount of HP you can run through a FWD sedan. I drive mine like a relativly normal person so I've never (OK maybe once or twice) experienced the infamous torque steer.

What I do have is a very smooth and powerfull sedan that has never left me stranded or failed to go when I wanted, where I wanted to go.

I've been driving two Maxima's (95 GLE and 00 SE) for a combined approx 320,000 miles and I'm seriously thinking about picking up another one just because it's such a great deal and they last so long.

Problem is what do I do with the 95 with 200k on it and still in great condition?

By the way, the 2004 Maxima is still a FWD car so what makes you think the torque steer is gone?
  • spleckspleck Posts: 114
    Personally, I think if you like the 03 Max, then getting one when the 04s come out is a good idea. I would go bargain them down now and see what they can do. Use that for comparison when the 04s come out and do even better. It's my impression that they're not selling well anyways this year (people are waiting for 04), so you may be happy with the price you can get now. As far as the 95, I would think you'd be able to sell it fairly easily. The 95 probably isn't too wild/trendy on styling so it might be a good first car/college car for someone.
  • robertrrobertr Posts: 125
    I have a 2000 SE and had a 1997 SE before that and did not find torque steer to be an issue.

However, when I test drove a 2003 SE the torque steer was much more prominent. I expect the 2004 will be the same.