Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Engine Problems

Comments

• ceguyceguy Posts: 11
    I Live in the Las Vegas area. It has been hot (105 to 113) in the days since I have had my TCH. I have only averaged 32/33 mpg city driving. On a trip to Denver driving at 85mph I got 37.5 mph. It would appear that the heat does have a substancial impact on city mileage but not so bad on the highway. I did a short stint localy yesterday early morning with the AC and blower off and the 39 mpg .
  • primo2primo2 Posts: 31
    i too stay in the las vegas area a couple of weeks every month...and i have found that my mpg has dropped to 36, which is still great...even in So Cal when the temps went up i got 36/37...i usually run the a/c at 76 once cool, then i switch to eco a/c...but the change in mpg was not noticeable...i will be heading back to So Cal on sunday...will make a point to reset display to get a more true mpg
  • ceguyceguy Posts: 11
    OK so the trip from door to door. On the way got 42.7 MPG @ 72 MPH. on the return got 41.5 mpg @ the same. Total was 262 miles each way with the AC on ECO most of the time unless the wife complained it was too warm then turned the ECO off. I was very happy with the results. Only wish I could say the same for the local MPG. Hope to see better local when it cools off.
  • primo2primo2 Posts: 31
    you got very good mileage...above what they say you can get on the highway...back in CA now...made the trip with the a/c eco on at 70 mph...i got 42.8 mpg...i would love to see what the TCH will do on flat ground...like in Florida or GA...my local is still in the mid to upper 30's...enjoy
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I had an average of 45 mpg showing on the NAV trip screen for over 300 miles while driving the coast at Nags Head. Mostly 45 mph speedlimits with me staying at 42 or less as much as possible. Long straights with few stops and minor traffic.

Amazingly when I had to get on the main road with 55mph traffic and some lights I was able to maintain that average.

I can understand why some are averaging over 40 mpg, but the TCH certainly is geographically challenged for the top FE numbers. Even still, I'm in the rolling hills and mountains of WV and averaging 38.6 mpg over 7400 miles. I couldn't be happier (unless they would juice up the electric motor to 75hp)
  • r_nashr_nash Posts: 33
    I drive mostly freeway miles on gently rolling hills. However, I spend 30 minutes to an hour each evening in stop and go traffic, often at speeds under 15mph. Last night was 90 minutes to go 15 miles... Even so I'm seeing my best mpg on this tank. The dash tank average is reporting 46.2mpg and 562 miles driven so far :surprise:

• clfrunclfrun Posts: 11
    Out of nowhere, I noticed by 'blue' ring(s) that indicate efficiency come on briefly when I start the car and then go totally off within a second or two and the area becomes black, if you will. I do not remember this happening before. It takes me approximately 7 - 9 miles to see any 'blue' at all. Eventually, it does seem to go back and the 'inside blue' comes on eventually, although I have not reviewed my book to see if what I am seeing is optimum. The real concern is that on the same roads at the same speeds I normally drive between my home and office, the mileage reading has consistently been over the 40 when I shut the car down. The last two trips have been more like 36 - 37, so something seems amiss.

Any help or advice? I hope I explained this where it can be understood. I guess the bottom line is that my mileage on these trips has suddenly declined 5 - 7 MPG with no known change in driving habits.

Thank you...CLFRun
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    When did Toyota start requiring a visual brake inspection every 5K miles? I thought it might be because of the hybrid's regenerative system, but I see the regular Camry also recommends it. Did it start when ABS became standard equipment?
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    It could be the cold. With the change in weather, running the heater, it needs to warm up, the ICE part, others have posted.
    When did Toyota start requiring a visual brake inspection every 5K miles?

I'm guessing their American Legal staff recommended that.

With the Hybrid it actually should be less of an issue as from what I understand is that most of the stopping is not done by the hydraulic braking system.
  • Hi,
    Does anyone have any thoughts on purchasing the extended service warranty? I am quoted 7 yrs or 75000 mi for about $1500. It overlaps the regular warranty.

Thanks
    Check the Edmunds.com sponsor, Warranty Direct.com....for that price you should be able to duplicate the coverage but with 100,000 miles, not 75,000. ;)
    If you know what your dealer charges for services it should be an easy decision. My dealer gave me a sheet for what oil services, the 15,000 and 30,000 mile services would cost. I'm having the 15,000 mile service done this Thursday and it's $159.

So basically in 75,000 miles I'll have:
    15 _ tire rotations
    5 _ alignments
    10 _ oil changes
    3 _ 15,000 mile services
    2 _ 30,000 mile services for about $1547.
    Why pay up front unless you're saving a lot of money. If you trade it before you use all of it will they refund a portion?

I have however seen posts here where some of the larger cities people are paying 50+ just for an oil change.
    Some thoughts about "service":

Most major tire chains will give you free tire rotations & balancing, even if you didn't buy the tires from them.

Oil changes are very competitive, and the national chains even give a AAA and AARP discount of about $5 per. But in my experience most dealerships will do them just as cheap, about $35 per change, w/5 quarts of standard oil. Usually whatever lubrication is needed is also included.

Wheel alignments, if needed more than every 30,000+ miles, well, stop driving into curbs! :P

The other so-called "Major" intervals are nothing more than inspections, as all the belts and timing mechanism should be good for 75,000 miles, minimum. Vehicles no longer require or need "tune-ups" or plugs before 100,000 miles.
    Most major tire chains will give you free tire rotations & balancing, even if you didn't buy the tires from them.

Interesting, I had never found one that did the OEM's. Worth checking into.

But in my experience most dealerships will do them just as cheap, about $35 per change,

For that price my dealer includes the tire rotation

Wheel alignments, if needed more than every 30,000+ miles, well, stop driving into curbs!

I agree, however the only reason I've agreed to it is the dealer supplies "tires for life" if you do maintenance with them. Since the alignment is the only overkill in their plan, it's a bargan. Their oil changes are not any more than Jiffy Lube. It's just a little more inconvenient to take it in to the garage rather than just stopping by Jiffy Lube or the Pennzoil service.

My dealer's 15,000 mile inspection is $169 (I just looked it up) and that includes the alignment. The 30,000 mile inspection is less than $220. I believe both include an "in-cabin" filter, although I was not sure the hybrid had one.
    Yes, Big O, Les Schawb, and the like all do free rotations. They want you as a customer. ;)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,913
    And Happy Halloween!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    Yes, Big O, Les Schawb, and the like all do free rotations. They want you as a customer.

Add Discount Tire, with stores in many states, Find Discount Tire to that list for free rotations, and flat repairs.
    Indeed! Haven't had a moments peace in hours, and as I type this, they are pounding on the door! :sick:

• camygcamyg Posts: 11
    The light operation is normal. The lights have four levels of intensity, with off being the first. It will increase in intensity at 26 mpg, 31 mpg, and 36 mpg, based on the average since you last started the car. Therefore, it starts out off (0 mpg). Put the Eco Drive Level indication on the multifunction display (the same one it flashes when you shutdown) and you can see the lights change as the bar gets to these points.
    As for decreased mileage, it's getting colder and takes longer to warm up, so overall mileage is decreasing somewhat. Same is happening to me, though I've only lost about 1-2 mpg so far in Virginia. I was averaging 40.5 for the summer and now find it much harder to maintain 39.
    Thank you...this week I drove 450 miles to a city and back; the computer average was 39.6...I have not completed the math yet. I do know I am getting about 35 - 70 miles less on a tank that in the past. This would indicate that I am about 3 - 4 MPG less now than other tanks of gas.

It does seem odd that it would just happen suddenly, although to your point the weather has been colder for sure and the car was out at the motel for a couple of nights as well.
    Thank you...I obviously do not have the knowledge that you have, but I will utilize your suggestion. Based on your TCH's performance, it would seem this one is somewhat in line. I guess I was spoiled to the 40+ averages I have been obtaining to this point. The last two tanks for sure have been lower on the computer...3 - 4 MPG, as the computer average was 42.5 or so on the two tanks prior to the most recent two fill-ups. This last tank was 39.6 on the computer.
    Exactly. Just start the car three or four minutes before you leave, and let it warm when it is very cold. You should see immediate improvement. :)
  • Anyone know how to turn off the Engine Maintence light? I had oil change at 2500 miles and now the damn light is on at 5000. I'll get around to the service. In the meantime, I don't need to slapped with a reminder every time I look at dashboard.
    Maybe it is in the Owners Manual :confuse:

I Googled the info below....

Many Honda Civics, Accords and Acuras have a "Maintenance Required" warning light on the dash that comes on at 7,000 mile intervals to remind the owner of recommended factory maintenance.

To turn this light off:

1. Push in and hold the odometer reset button.
    2. While holding in the odometer reset button, insert the key into the ignition and hold for 20 seconds.
    3. Turn key to "on" while still holding in the odometer reset button.
    4. Hold in the odometer reset button until all of the warning lights have lit - after about 10 seconds the "Maintenance Required" light will go off.
  • indy13indy13 Posts: 2
    Check engine light went on at 15000 miles . Dealer has had the car for 3 days can;t figure out the problem Anyone else have this problem.
  • jswhaljswhal Posts: 2
    I took a long trip this week, averaging over 38 MPG. There were several stretches of long downhills (Mass Pike east bound) where I got 60 mpg bars for several minutes, but the "car" icons never appeared unless I was braking during that time. It seems that if power is going back into the battery, braking is irrelevant. Just curious as to what the green car really means.
  • talmy1talmy1 Posts: 55
    Each "car" means that 50 Wh (watt-hours) of energy was regenerated by the brakes. The energy recovered during braking does go back into the battery.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    what "green cars"? Where do I look for them. Thanx.
    On the Nav cars the green cars appear on the individual one minute FE bars on the energy screen