Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Engine Problems

Comments

• acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    I use the energy screen and the green bars have shown the 60 reading many many times, but I have never noticed any green cars. I will have to look closer. Where do they appear?
  • jswhaljswhal Posts: 2
    They appear in the bar itself, near the bottom. I've seen a couple in a bar at a time. My question was why they only show up if you were braking during that time. If I'm coasting the whole time, I'm regenerating.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    Sometimes only "half" a car shows up. The "ledgend" for the cars is on the top left of the screen
  • talmy1talmy1 Posts: 55
    I don't think it is possible to regenerate 50 Wh per minute coasting. Only braking generates sufficient energy.
  • thaipthaip Posts: 32
    Hi Everyone,

If anyone know about regular services such as 15k, 20k, 25k, 30k, and every 5k miles services after that must be perforned so the manufacture and extended warranty stay intact? I didn't realize that the 15k service mostly just checking the engine and oil change ,and toyota dealer wanted like $350. I am afraid that if I don't let them do the service, my warranties will be voided! Is this possible? Is there any way that I can get around this problem?

Should I say, is it neccessary to have the car service as its schedule?

thanks

PT
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    Maintaining the warranty does not require that you use the dealer for service work, only that you maintain a record of having the work performed. Nor does it require that you agree to the (likely) extra list of services the dealer wants to perform at 15K, which accounts for the $350 price.

You need only have serviced the items called for in your owners' manual at 15K. Read it. An informed customer will be able to know when to say no. Simply get a price for the items required . . . and nothing more.
  • thaipthaip Posts: 32
    Thanks,

Based on the manual service schedule, at 15k miles, basically there are a lot of checking services beside the oil change and the cabin air filter change. I was thinking of bring it to my friend who also has an auto shop to have the services done. What about this idea?

PT
    That works fine. Just keep a receipt for the service in the unlikely event you need to prove the work was done.

There's nothing about a 15k service that can't be done by auto service center. All those inspections are visual, just checks for leaks or obvious problems. Anyone could do them in a few minutes.

Btw, I'd probably change, rather than clean, the cabin air filter. Good luck.
  • kent16kent16 Posts: 2
    Okay...nightmare time. I brought my 2007 Camry Hybrid to the dealer for the 20k oil change. When I got out of the car the techs asked me, "What is that 'ticking' noise?" Never having heard it before I said, "I dont know". The tech checked the oil shook his head and said..we need to have a look. 15 minutes later they tell me I need a rental car. The tech calls me later that afternoon and says - "we don't know why - but there is metal in the bearings and you need a new engine." I bought the car five months ago. I changed the oil every 5,000 miles. A NEW ENGINE? They told me Toyota would take care of it. Anyone else having this "PROBLEM"?
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Hey, look at the bright side:

You got a new engine when your car already had 20,000 miles on it !!

I say have a Par-TAY !!!! You get 36K more miles of warranty coverage on the new engine, I'm sure.

P.S. Never have heard of this issue happening to a 2007 TCH before.
  • kent16kent16 Posts: 2
    You are right about that - I hope. I certainly will push for a 36k warranty on the new engine.
  • gschmoelgschmoel Posts: 2
    Does anybody know how to change out the filter. I cannot seem to find it in the manuel. I look under engine, air, filter and all I can find is AC filter.
  • saragsarag Posts: 1
    I bought my 2009 TCH 6 months ago. It has been a great car so far, until last Saturday. After another refueling in the morning I parked the car in my garage and went out for the day. I came home around 7 at night, went into the garage and could not breathe. The garage smelled like a gas chamber. I found out that the smell of raw gasoline was coming from the Toyota’s gas cap. I turned the cap on and off several times thinking that the problem will go away. But, no, the smell did not go away. I took the car to a dealer, they found nothing wrong either with the car or the gas cap. However, the smell is still there. I did not have any difficulties to add gas to the car that morning and I have never overfilled the tank. I do not know what to do. Please HELP!
  • canucktchcanucktch Posts: 3
    This forum really is helpful.

Have my 08TCH for a little over 2 months and I have always wondered why, after using the EV mode for a long stretch, it kept trying to force the ICE on. What you say makes perfect sense.

Was getting frustrated because I thought everytime I let off the gas below 40mph it should go to EV, but sometimes it did not. Now, when I think how long it has been between the ICE running, it makes more sense. The catalytic converter would cool down after a while. Wish the car would tell you when it was the culprit for turning on the ICE rather than your lead foot.

BTW I am averaging 43mpg (5.5 l/100km for canadians) with my car doing 80% city / 20% highway. Very satisfied with the efficency for such a large car.
    When I am on EV mode, sometimes when I hit a bump in the road or a sewer, the car tries to startup the ICE. I suspect that I am varying the throttle when being jostled around and it's reacting to that input. I also find it hard to feather the throttle to stay in EV mode, especially at low speeds, without the ICE wanting to join the party as well.

Is there an adjustment to the car to allow more give to the throttle. Would prefer that if I feather the throttle, it stays in EV, if I press harder on the throttle, it brings ICE on. Seems to be hard to figure out how much throttle you have to work with before ICE gets involved. I think different modes give you different sensativities.
    BTW The battery was still charged but the engine was coming on. My drive home from work is unique as it is almost all downgrade, so you use ICE to get up to speed and EV after that.
    I doubt any adjustment is possible. It's a good idea though. Some transmissions offer an adjustment of shift points to allow for driver preferences. Hybrids might gain a little extra mileage if shift points between systems reflected specific driving conditions.
  • I bought my 2009 TCH November 2008. It now has 10,000 miles. I have had the unfortunate incident you are referring to happen to me. In fact, mine was even spewing gas all over the driveway! I have since observed that during times of heavy driving and hot weather, there seems to be a build up of air pressure in the tank. I think (but do not know for a fact) that this causes the gas cap to loosen, which in turn causes the check engine light to turn on. I say this because when the check engine light comes on, I have found the gas cap loosened (I am very careful to tighten the cap after filling up). When I have released the gas cap, a fairly loud release of gas vapor emits from the tank. When the tank is fairly full (I do not top off my gas), the gas seems to expand and cause strong gas odors to emit and, as I said, can leak gasoline as well. The odor dissipated after some time as you have probably already experienced. However, this problem is ongoing. My cap has loosened when the tank was about 3/4 empty! There was no odor at that time, but the engine check light went on again. If I continue to drive it, the light will turn itself off eventually (it takes going through almost another tank of gas for this to happen). I have wondered if the battery is situated near the gas tank so when it is really hot outside and/or one is driving heavily during the day, it is creating a heat build up that is subsequently causing the gasoline to vaporize at a rapid rate. Although I am not an auto design engineer or mechanic, I am convinced that it is this air pressure that is somehow playing a role in the gas cap loosening.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    It's under warranty.

Drop it at the dealer on a Saturday morning and say " Fix it."

Problem solved, no cost to you.
    Something in your Evaporative Emission System isn't working right. There is a purge valve or various seals that could be bad, any of which would release gasoline vapors. It's covered under warranty. Also, your car is designed to operative most efficiently with this system working properly. When it isn't, I doubt you're getting the gas mileage intended. Any dealer should be able to test for a malfunction.