Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Engine Problems

124»

Comments

• got 2 error codes
    p2103 and p2111
  • P2103 throttle activator control motor circuit high
    p2111 throttle activator control system stuck open
    look up"electronic throttle control" on wikipedia for a detailed explaination on how this part works
  • I have a 2005 Prius with 142,000 miles on it. About a week ago I got a check engine light and brought it to my local dealership here in Annapolis. The error code is P0505. The recommended a host of work that did not make sense to me. I then took it to a local mechanic and he pulled the codes again and one came up that the hybrid system was not communicating. He cleaned the throttle body and then the engined started reving as it never has before. He said there is a chance that the car will need a new throttle body. I was also informed that there are some big problems with Toyota's electronic throttle bodies. I appreciate input. Car has been well maintained with oil changed every 5000 miles.
  • thanks for the input
    I found out this weekend they did not open the throttle body as they should have to inspect it. they did check the electronics of it and working fine.
    car is running fine, never did have idle issues etc.

they did say it could have carbon build up in throttle body.

is that possible?
  • The mechanic this morning open the throttle body and clean it. To me it did not look that dirty and he agreed. He feels that he has to test it a lot more to determine the exact problems now. The engine is now revving when it should be off at at stop. The concern is the electronic throttle body is not communicating to the hybrid synergy drive. Plus now I have read stories of cars accelerating suddenly to speeds of excess of 90mph.

Thoughts ?
  • pat85pat85 Posts: 92
    Toyota is claiming the sudden accelerations are due to floor mats getting stuck under the accelerator. Lots of people who had this happen DID NOT have floor mats under the accelerator. It reminds me of Audi which had a similar problem, claiming "driver error".
    I got a preliminary recall notice telling me to remove my floor mats until further notice. I do not believe floor mats are the problem.
  • I have a 2009 camry hybrid and it will stop running while driving. I loose all power. All the gauges go dark then turn back on with no warning lights lite. It has happened 7 times in the past 3 months. I have to pull over and restart and everything will be fine. I have had it into the dealer 3 times. They tell me that they can not find anything wrong. There is no codes to be found. This is a very dangerous situation. Please help!!!! :sick:
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Posts: 194
    Go to a different dealer. You are right this is dangerous. It may be something as simple as a bad connection at the 12V battery, but it needs to be fixed. Your warranty is honoured at any Toyota dealer in North America, take advantage of that and don't patronize a dealer that isn't working for you.
  • They have checked all conections
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Posts: 194
    I suspect you are not going to get an answer of 'this is what is wrong...' in any of the forums. This is an intermittent problem and from my laymans perspective it sounds like you are losing power to the ECU. Could be a connector somewhere that isn't fully plugged in, a broken wire that breaks the connection when jostled, maybe a wire somewhere that has rubbed away the insulation and occasionally shorts out.

Talk to a dealer and have them bring in an area rep to talk with you.

And I doubt the dealer has check *all* the connections. They have check the ones that are easy to get to. To really check all, they would have to strip the car down to get at everything.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    Talk to the service manager and explain that the situation is unsafe and unacceptable. If he doesn't have some specific steps to identify and fix the problem, ask for information to contact the zone office of Toyota. Next stop NHTSA.

In light of today's bad press, and good customer service, they ought to provide you with a loaner car while they thoroughly investigate the problem.
  • I went to my local Toyota dealer to diagnose a grinding noise coming from the rear passenger side. The techs said it was the hub & bearing and needed replacement. They wanted 500 for the part and 336 for labor. I must also say I have an 07 Camry Hybrid with 50,000 miles. Autozone has the part for 223 and I want to do the repair myself to save $. Does anyone know where I can find an online "how to" manual so I can do the repair. I am assuming that I will need a torque wrench for the four bolts.
  • Has anybody ever used CNA for extended warranty? - are they legit?

Thanks.
  • myrafmyraf Posts: 32
    Hi I live n southern calif and there is a group of us that are experiencing the same problems with our toy highlander hybrid ,its the hybrid inverta,have the dealership put it on diagnostic, others and myself are talking lawyer,
  • bbillinbbillin Posts: 11
    I cannot start my Camry hybrid. According to the manual, it is the battery. It has been cold and in the garage. Can you jump start it from the fuse box in front? Or, do you have to jump start the 12V battery in the back? I am in Europe and they said they can start it like the Prius.

Adivce????

Please help!!
  • I had the same problem, my neighbor came to tell me my lights were on but by the time I got to the garage they had turned off but the starting battery was dead. Apparently the car either though it was still turned on or the automatic lights failed. I manually turn the lights on and off now.

to answer your question, the starting battery is in the trunk on the right side under a easily removable plastic panel. you can jump start the car like a conventional vehicle. Drive it for 20-30 minutes afterward.
  • pgnycpgnyc Posts: 5
    if your 12v battery is too low or dead, only branch another 12v battery so the computer can be on and open the main battery. any 12v battery will work ( car, drill battery , you put 8 1.5v battery together or else)

after, the main battery will recharge the 12v , no need to drive if you do not have to, and check if the battery is dead or still good ( can die if it was empty for a while).

ps: if you use another car to start yours , do not 'start,run' the other car !!!
  • klmcqklmcq Posts: 1
    My car is making a very high pitched whining noise, coming from under the hood. Of course the service departments are closed for the weekend. Anyone know what is causing this?
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    These are troll posts.

I'm watching a lot of TCH forums, and there are a lot of "new" posters with only 1 or 2 posts in the forums posting a lot of nasty things about TCHs.

I think someone is conducting an organized smear campaign.

You can ignore these posts.
  • You don't buy it... why? You sell Toyota Camry's or make them? These are legitimate gripes about the issues associated with Camry Hybrids. You really think people are making up this stuff? Come on dude...you got answers post them, you got opinions, tell your wife...Oh, you probably already wore out that option...now we get to hear your opinions...bummer!
124»