Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Blazer Warning Lights and Gauges

Comments

• jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    A shorted battery could put such a load on the alternator as to cause the high pitched sound. Also a bad, or weak, alternator. Check the voltage of the battery with the engine off, then on. Should be around 12.6 off, 13.8-14.8 running. If the battery voltage is down around 10, there is a dead or shorted cell.

The gauges may be getting a low voltage to the cluster, and that will cause all sorts of problems, all of which generally correct themselves when the proper power conditions are restored.
  • In my 51 years I have never seen a bad battery do the things this one did. Replace the alternator AND battery. All problems gone. Thanks for your help.
    Glad you are back up and running. Newer batteries can shed plates into the bottom of the battery causing shorts. The high current alternators we use these days will go to max output trying to charge the shorted battery and can burn themselves out doing so.

With today's more complicated systems, you really have to look close at a failure to determine if it is a cause or affect!

Jim
  • Hello I'm having a problem with my gauges. My fuel gauge is always jumping around unless it is full. And my speedometer has gone on the fritz. Ever since I went to Florida. When I got back home the needle didn't move until I got to about 30 mph then it jumped to 30. When I got lower than 30 the needle dropped back to 0. And then the needle won't move above 40 until I get to about 50 mph and the needle jumps to 70. Can someone help me figure out what is wrong. So I can get it fixed asap.
  • caridiot4caridiot4 Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer that I wasn't having any troubles with until I left the ignition on yesterday for a couple of hours. I had to jump start it. After driving it about 10 miles I turned it off again but the ignition key was left on again. After jump starting again I drove home (10 miles). This morning it started without a problem but after 9 hrs of sitting again it wouldn't start. I tried a couple of times and finally it started without a jump. However 45 minutes later it wouldn't start. 3 hours later it did. When it starts initally it seems a little slow, dash lights are kinda dim and the volt meter is around 11 or 12. However, it quickly jumps to 14 and the lights brighten and everything is normal. Is this a problem with my alternator or just a very weak battery??
    See the messages above regarding battery plate shorting.

If that battery is more than 3 years old, time for a new one.
  • I just bought an 89 S10 Blazer and the Dash Gauges aren't working. The lights come on... and the speedometer seems to be working. But the Oil Pressure, Temp, and Gas Gauge aren't working. I checked the fuse and it's fine. Any Ideas?
  • Um... Anyone out there have any ideas? Thanks...
  • aruskarusk Posts: 1
    Hello all, I have a 2002 Blazer and had the fuel pump replaced about six weeks back(July 08) Since then the engine light has been on. The dealer has checked it a few times and they keep telling me it is coming up with a code for the gas cap. I have had two different gas caps on it and still the light comes on. Any ideas thanks
  • Just bought a 2001 Blazer ZR2. For 2 days the security light was on, the 3rd day the check engine light came on and then the low fuel light. Check engine light was off the next time i got in it and then just the low fuel light. There is a 1/2 tank of gas in it. Next time I got in it, there were no lights. The vehicle is running fine, the lights are just going crazy....Any ideas what could cause this? A sensor or something?
  • hello im a newbe so please be patient,anyway,im sure you guys have answered this question a 100 times,all the gauges in my dash come on -abs,security,seatbelt,airbag,batteryand the gas gauge goes dead,also temp gauge,and gear selector light goes dead but the truck runs fine during these episodes,if i press the door lock button and hold for a minute then lock and unlock,lock and unlock a few times they return to normal. please help!!!!! its driving my wife nuts..... thank you in advance, dave.
    Okay, since you are a "newbie" we will cut you some slack. ;)

It would help to know the year model?

Jim
  • yeah oops, its a 2000 chevy blazer ls 4 door 4x4,sorry!! :sick:
  • hey there,i had my fuel pump changed had the same problem as you,it was the evap canester vacum hose connection on the fuel pump,had my buddy fix it,problem solved. ;) ;)
  • doc03doc03 Posts: 1
    Anyone know of any recalls for speedometer and fuel gauge going awry? I've been using my GPS to tell how fast I'm going and re-setting my mileage each time I fill up to figure out my fuel needs. I hear it might cost me upwards of a 1000.00 to fix them both.
  • bevmbevm Posts: 1
    Ok never done this but in need of help!! Bought a 99 Blazer a week ago. Trying to figure out a few problems. First i found to line under hood not connected to anything and cant seem to see anywhere for them to go even though I have followed other line connected with them. Second on the air conditioner the wheel on front the belt goes around will kick in and kick out is that normal even if air isnt on? She is running rough so I am assuming a tune up. HELP!
  • dp2226dp2226 Posts: 28
    I picked up an ABS code reader. The light comes on more and more frequently on my 1999 Blazer. Code comes back each of the wheel sensor circuits are open. They are both very new, few thousand miles tops, new hub and all. I bleed the brakes numerous times and in the correct order.

I do have the bigger the tires. I am out of ideas. All calipers are new as well
  • dp2226dp2226 Posts: 28
    Does the wheel you are talking about look like it turns then slips. I fortunately have not had that problem on my blazer but on my VW did the same thing and was the A/C clutch. There are some grooves may be stripped. This is just something to look at. I cannot say this is 100% your problem but sounds like what you are describing.
  • I just bought a 96 blazer LT. It has 134000 and overall cant really complain for $1100. Runs great and feels solid when it comes to tranny/suspension. Pretty good as far as cosmetics also.(owned by old guy from new, had nothing else to do but clean it) One thing that bothers me is the temperature gauge never moves. all the other gauges seem to work fine. I had a major short the day i bought it. The starter cable ground out against the motor mount. Idiot that replaced it didn't put it through the wire loops. Anyway would there be any reason that just that gauge doesn't work? Fan kicks on and engine doesn't seems to run too hot. Im just paranoid and want to get it fixed but dont want to pay the shops to do it. Would a new thermostat do the trick?
    There is a sending unit in the left side head near the rear, close to the steering shaft. Check to see if it is connected.