Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Lexus GS 450h Owners - Give Us Your Report

ideleidele Posts: 200
edited March 9 in Lexus
I trade every two years. I love the RX400h. It has surpassed my expectations but I greatly prefer a sedan to a crossover. Although I had driven a Prius of a friend and was enormously impressed,I wanted more luxury and performance and with the RX400h becoming available when I was checking cars, I decided to take the plunge. The hybrid synergy drive is so superior to the ordinary power plants that I will only purchase hybrids in the future. The term "hybrid " is used to cover all additions of an electric motor to an ICE. But all that I know or have read about what other auto manufacturers are planning leads me to believe that they will not come close to what Toyota/Lexus has accomplished. Toyota/Lexus with the GS450h has a power plant which is another major step forward. So much so that my decision was made without hesitation. The RX400h is in such demand around here that my depreciation will be minimal, and I'll have a car, the GS450h, next year that certainly will be in great demand.

Comments

• ideleidele Posts: 200
    I'm leasing my RX400h and will lease the GS450h when I get it. The advantages of leasing is that cost of ownership is specific; that is the residual value is known. If, at the end of a lease, the market value is lower than the residual value the difference doesn't come out of your pocket. If, for any reason, your car can be sold for more than the residual value you pocket the surplus.
    I'm very happy at the higher fuel efficiency of hybrids. Raising fuel efficiency of all cars is a very important goal. And don't forget the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions to which hybrids make a huge contribution.
  • gs450hgs450h Posts: 49
    I just got a call from my dealer and my GS 450h is in. I am picking it up tonight. The plaque says #7 of 75. I will post photos in the morning. Good luck to all others who have waited so patiently. :) :D :surprise: :shades:
  • thedon1thedon1 Posts: 15
    What city and state are you in? I just got off the phone with my dealer in Oakland and they don't have any news on my NM yet. Please let me know what city and state you're in. Thanks for helping out a fellow NM Edition owner. :)
    Here is the photo of my new GS 450h which I picked up in Rockville, Maryland last night. It is pretty cool and fast. (Not much trunk)
    :D ">

http://www.carspace.com/gs450h
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    VERY nice ride!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• 2001gs4302001gs430 Posts: 767
    Congrat on the coolest acquisition. Please post more info about the car... anything.
    Thank you. I have only driven it for 30 minutes, but will certainly post more as I learn more. The color is really cool. It changes depending upon the light. The dealer told me the standard colors will only be black and silver...all others will have to be special ordered. Of course there will only be 75 that are this color. It is very fast and very smooth. It is going to take me a weekend to read through all of the materials. The NAV book alone is 75 pages. The Gen 5 NAV is supposed to be much improved. More to come.
    :)
  • 2001gs4302001gs430 Posts: 767
    Lexus Canada said that the 450h will be available in May. I can't wait to see and possibly test drive it. I want to replace my current GS in about a year, so if this were THE CAR for me then I would have plenty of time to special order it.
    Btw, how is the CVT comparing to the normal auto box?
  • Very nice. Can you confirm lack of the IPod connection like the IS and ES will have?
    Thanks.
    No iPod connection, but the audio sound is amazing. My dealer may install a VAIS SoundLinQ (SLI) - Auxiliary Input Adapter with Apple® iPod™ interface (fits most Toyota/Lexus vehicles 2001-2007 with and without Navigation System)once he has tested it out on a GS 430
    Any more pics to share? Thanks! :)
    Send me your email address and I will send you a bunch of pictures this weekend and then you are welcome to post them as you see fit. I checked out the other site for storing the pix and do not have the time to do all of that right now...I had to keep my day job in order to pay for the GS 450h ;)
  • nmlnml Posts: 7
    please, please send me pics of the gs450h! can't wait....thanks so much...
    I will email you some pix today. I tried to email some to thedon1 but I got this error message:

"Currently this member is only accepting email from @carspace.com addresses. You can email this member from your carspace.com email account (if you are not a member, joining is free!) or contact this member by other means and ask that they add you to their allowed list of correspondents."
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Posts: 75
    Put my deposit down at Lexus of Englewood NJ about 6 months ago. Not sure where I was on the list, but salesman called me today letting me know that a silver/black had just arrived. Said it was their 1st car in and that it arrived on Saturday (the 42 miles on the odo would imply that at least a few customers or salespeople drove it the first day). I paid cash and had title to my trade-in so I was able to drive it out 2 hours after arriving.

This is my first Lexus, having owned 4 BMW's prior (3's and 5's). Dealer experience was perfect. Where's the hybrid premium? I paid sticker (no premium at all), which looked about the same as the sticker of the loaded GS430 in the showroom (granted, that car must get discounted several thousand at least). Seems like a reasonable premium for an innovative, powerful and efficient vehicle.

Only drove the car from the dealer to home and around the block a few times, so little to report so far. First impression very positive -- smooth as silk and whisper quiet (again, my first lexus and BMW's didn't aim for those characteristics). Very powerful acceleration -- you feel yourself pushed back into the seat.

I've got a lot of exploring to do, as I only spent about 5 minutes with the salesman's demo in the dark parking lot. Only negative so far (not unique to the hybrid): the interior lighting in this model is a joke. 4 pin spotlights provide virtually zero lighting outside of their direct beams. More light came from the dashboard gauges than the ceiling lighting. The black interior didn't help. It's one thing to aim for cool looking, but this is ridiculous.

Only extras were Sirius radio ($695), which I have to go back for, and the insurance for the wheels/tires ($685 for 5 years of protection seemed like a good idea given the poor road conditions in the NY metro area).

FYI: I don't think you're eligible for the $1,550 govt hybrid rebate if you lease -- I believe only if you purchase. If that's in fact right, work it into your financing decision.
    my email address is erthnet1@aol.com.....thanks....haven't monitored this forum for a week or so....my husband is being told by lindsay lexus that the colors coming in are only black and silver.....of the gs450h - at one point it was indicated there would be black, silver and white....he actually wants white for a change....with the tan interior....any word on that color? what color did you get? obviously, i will see when i see your pics, right! looking forward to them..
    have been reading your reviews.....our dealer/salesman told us the neiman marcus model - which my husband originally wanted - was an 'odd' color, a mix between silver/ice and a purple-y color.....yes, no? so he wasn't interested and now we are waiting for the 'regular' 450h in white..... :(
    Maybe since your dealer had no way of getting you a Neiman Marcus...???

I love the color, but in any color it is a great car.
    I am the proud owner of car number 44 of 75. This car is FANTASTIC! I noticed that there are two or three for sale on the most famous online auction on the web. I can't say the name due to forum regulations, but I'm sure you interested people know which site I'm talking about. Happy Bidding! :)
    my husband actually turned down the nm version because he didn't want the black interior....they are building him a white with beige/tan leather interior....delivery in 60-90 days.....it's good to know how great this car will be based on your experience...thanks.... :)
This discussion has been closed.