Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier Climate Control/AC Issues

Comments

• k_erink_erin Posts: 5
    It could very well be a compressor problem. I have a 91 Chevy Cavalier RS 2.2 ltr, automatic. It did the same thing from the time I got it in 2001. It just recently stopped working altogether and we took it in to the mechanic today and he called this afternoon and said the compressor was leaking all over the place, so it could very well be a problem with a weak/sluggish compressor.
    I have a 91 Chevy Cavalier RS (2.2 ltr, 4-cyl, automatic). We had to take it in today to have the a/c repaired. We live in Northeast Texas. Does anyone have any idea of what fair labor costs should be?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,779
    no easy answer. The AC system has a lot of components and repairs could range from $150 to $1,500. If your compressor seized while driving, you can count on big bucks. If the AC just went warm one day, you might get lucky and only have a leak.

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. We actually got the car back today and it came to a grand total of $791.82, parts and labor. They replaced the compressor, dryer, orifice filter, vaccuum, and replaced freon oil, and recharged with 2 cans of freon. We also had them replace the spark plugs while they were working on it because the head had busted not long ago and the mechanic failed to replace all of the spark plugs. All in all, it wasn't too bad.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,779
    Sounds like a very fair price for all that work. If the compressor seizes, that send debris throughout the system and that requires replacing even more than you had done. But I think you got a good deal if it was done competently.

• gpuck16gpuck16 Posts: 1
    My 2003 Cavalier is acting up. Air will blow from the passenger vent, floor, and defroster but not from the two middle and driver's side vents. This seems to be intermittent because the vents worked a week ago and now they have stopped. Any suggestions? The AC blows cool air from all the other vents. :confuse:
  • rain7rain7 Posts: 1
    my a/c just started blowing hot then she get cold then hot my mechanic put a module in it now my air speed is working better but she started hot and cold then just hot. my mechanic went under the hood and jiggled some wires and i heard the click and then cold air came out for about two days i went under the hood moved that white clip with wires attached to it and she went click got cold air for two days now playing with that white clip with wires don't work anymore, it already cost 173.00 for that module and labor nothing for taken it back of course, sooooooo am i looking at a compressor or can those wires be replaced
    it's "97" 2.4LS twin cam
  • I have a 97 Cavalier. The A/C goes in and out. I don't know what to do. I know that it its not the blower motor or the switch bc those both have recently been changed. Um, I think it maybe an electrically problem but i don't know where to start. Please Help, I need some air...
  • I have a 92 Cavalier RS 2.2 with about 92,000. Air comes out of the vents only, no heater seeting, deforst setting or "mix" setting. Also, the compressor isnt kicking on when the A/C button is depressed or it's on defrost. Any hints? :confuse:
  • A loud clicking sound started on the passenger side of my 2005 Cavalier. I traced it to the blower motor in the car. I was told that there is probably a leaf or stick in there (which I believe to be true). Does anyone know how to take that out? It is not obvious to me.

Thank you,
    Jim.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 872
    Look under the passenger side foot well and you will the motor housing pointing straight down, easy job to remove.
  • This problem has been with me for about a month now consistantly.What is the problem when the a/c compressor runs all the time(doesn't cycle on/off) and air blows from vents and at your feet ...with no ability to control the air flow ???Air is cold.It's HOT in Florida,help.
    The V-5 compressor does not cycle, it is variable. Need more information. You have a fan speed switch, you have temp control, then air direction and A/C button. What isn't working?
  • Ok I did think the AC would have a period where it clicked and there was less tug on the engine...that sort of cycling was what I was talking about.As far as air flow...I am referring to just that...when I turn the air direction dial nothing changes. It blows from upper vents and some air blows from below the dash around my feet from some uncertain source.I appreciate your comments.
    Not sure what you have there, when there is a vacuum leak air only comes out the defrost vents. It sounds like the air flow knob is not selecting any mode.
  • Yes that seems to be the case actually and it's not intermitant...so maybe a new air flow knob/switch?
  • redcat2redcat2 Posts: 2
    Once a year w/the defrost on I get water that comes in on the pass. side.
    I have taken it to 2 places: checked for a clogged line, NONE :( Still happening anyone, Please help :shades:
  • rhino2878rhino2878 Posts: 1
    My AC in my car is very week does not seem to be very cold at all to the point were I think it might not be working at all. I have never had it recharged before could it just need to be charged with freon again??? Or do you think it would have a leak? This winter I also noticed that my vents only work if I turn the variable fan switch to Maximun speed do you think this has anything to do with it? Thanks
  • jsheppjshepp Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem with my '03 cavalier. Have you found a fix yet?
  • jsheppjshepp Posts: 2
    I am having the exact same problem with my '03 cavalier. Have you found a fix yet?
  • dave181dave181 Posts: 1
    I don't know if this will help anyone but my 2002 cavalier AC has been eratic for a month, blowing hot/cold and the RPMS would rise and fall at a stop sign like the engine was going to quit. to make a long story short, it was the HIGH pressure switch (3 wires) located under the alternator. mechanic clipped 3 wires and used an old switch he found in a box. it's 96 degrees and my teeth are chattering, car runs great Dave
  • dkfdkf Posts: 1
    I saw a prior posting that I believe will apply to this case as well, but I wanted to get a little more information. The lower 2 speed settings of the fan switch do not work, but the higher 2 speed settings work fine. A poster had mentioned that this is a blown resistor (or in this case perhaps 2?). My questions are:

1. If I'm looking to replace these resistors, what do a look for? Would they be called "fan speed switch resistors", for instance?

2. Would I find them at an auto parts store like Pep Boys, or would I need to go to a dealer?

3. Once the blower motor is removed, is it "obvious" where the resistors are located, or does it take some fair knowledge to figure that out?

Cheers,

Doug
  • 03cav62303cav623 Posts: 1
    air works, knobs work but when i turn it passed 2 on speed control it sounds like a space shuttle lift off. Lots of humming/vibrating sounds. I have worked on everything my entire life (not certified) and am just looking to confirm my belief of the blower motor/fan!! any help?? Thanks for your time in advance.. I know this is going to take like hours so...thats expected!
  • :cry: Ok, i replaced my tps in my 2002 Chevy Cavalier. Everything was working perfect.. So i thought I would disconnect the battery to reset the codes and then I had problems. My inst panel quit working, So i took out the cluster fuse and got all the gauges to work, but now my a/c turns on but i cant change the speed nor can i change like from floor to defrost. It blows cold and it blows a lil out of my floor vents and out of the dash vents and a tad bit out of my defrost. I can change from cold to hot and
  • I realize this is an older post; but seems to be a re-occurring problem. The cable that connects on the backside of the climate control knob is known for kinking. If the cable is not frayed yet, you can pull it off the back of the knob and straighten it (this does require, laying on your backside on the passenger side floor, and a flashlight helps if you are trying to accomplish this for the first time....if the cable is frayed you can replace the cable. It is the same cable as the "heater control cable"; to replace it, it is a job that can be done without removing the entire dash, you will need to remove the plate over the brake; and again, plan on a lot of time on your back with a flashlight. I just replaced mine over the weekend, and was able to straighten a co-workers today.
  • I also have discovered the air control knob kinking. I fixed it using a need nose pliers but it just wants to kink again because the control box wheel or control box "guts" must jamb at times. I have checked for clearance and there is no rubbing on the wheel by the cable. Question - what is the specific cause for the failure? Has a air gasket come loose inside the air control housing that interfers with smooth operation? Also, with all my "experimenting", I found that if you allow hot air to heat up the air control box, the control knob will then move freely to all positions.
    another method that works with my size 13 fingers, If you can find the cable with your fingers while sitting in the drivers seat, You can force the knob while using your fingers to keep the cable from kinking.
  • My heater blows cold it wont blow hot air i had the ac fixed this summer and now its getting cold and the heater doesnt blow hot air what can i do to fix the problem!!!
  • hams1hams1 Posts: 4
    A loud clicking sound started on the passenger side of my 2004 Cavalier. I traced it to the blower motor in the car. The noise is there even when the fan is off, the noise stops when I move the climate control switch to outside air. Thanks Hams1
  • hams1hams1 Posts: 4
    when I press on the brake pedal a noise is coming from the read brakes, as if it was a bearing noise. The noise is only there when I apply the brake pedal hard enough to stop the car. Thanks Hams1