Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Tires and Wheels

167891012»

Comments

• knr5knr5 Posts: 84
    I have a 2006 G35 MT sedan with 70k miles on it. I have had zero issues with it over the past seven years, except for some TPS issues. I replaced one of the sensors (front left tire) about two years ago. I needed to have it done a second time at a different dealership (free of charge, since it was within a year). Everything was ok for a while. During the past year, particularly the last six months, the TPS lights have been coming on more frequently. It is unrelated to the actual tire pressure (I have checked the tire pressure to make sure). However, the service guys are able to reset the TPS system without much hassle. It is getting quite bothersome, however, to attend to this issue frequently (about every two weeks recently). I would appreciate any advice in this matter. I have asked the service guys to replace any sensor that they think is defective, but they tell me that their instruments show that everything is working normally, once they reset the system (in a matter of minutes with a hand-held device -- usually not even requiring it to be plugged into the dash).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 800
    First, these systems are known by the initials TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems).

Second, it could be the device you are using to check the pressure is faulty - so to be sure it is the TPMS, over inflate the tire a bit - say 5 psi. Then see what happens.

If the light comes on again, then it might be the TPMS. If not, the problem is likely your pressure gauge.
    Thank you for your prompt response! I suppose it was an oversight to miss the 'monitoring' part of TPMS, but I am glad you understood what I was talking about.

I have checked pressure using different devices at home and at the service centers. I have a powered air pump with a pressure gauge at home and have, as a first step, checked pressure in all tires and have slightly over-inflated them. Before I needed to replace my first sensor, this used to fix the problem. Not so lately. As against the recommended tire pressure of 33 psi, I currently have 35-36 psi in my tires, partly because it is winter. Clearly one of the sensors is defective, but we are unable to figure out which one needs to be replaced. The service guys are stymied precisely because of that issue. Resetting the system with their hand-held tool seems to fix the problem (TPMS warning light goes out), for a while. Is there a way to figure out which sensor is the culprit?

Thanks, again, for your willingness to help.
  • pscheidpscheid Posts: 190
    knr5........I have an 04 G35 Coupe purchased 9/2003. At the five year mark the TPMS light went on, wouldn't go off even after monkeying with the tire pressures.

It was time for new tires, so I thought I'd let the tire dealer rectify the TPMS matter. Tire dealer could not reset and eliminate the warning light but told me that one sensor was bad, told me which one. I drove to my Infinity dealer and got a replacement sensor for about $150. The tire dealer installed it and the TPMS light issue was resolved......though the light has come back on once since then, it went off when the psi was adjusted about 3 psi in one of the tires.

I did some reading up on this when I was having the issue. The batteries in the sealed sensors are not replaceable. The battery life according to what I read should be about 7 years, maybe less. I am still running the original sensors on the other three wheels. So I am living on borrowed time with them.

Maybe your tire dealer can tell you which one is bad.

PJ
  • rhard49rhard49 Posts: 226
    edited February 2013
    Its interesting I have a 2008G AWD my tires lasted about 32k miles or 3 years. When I replaced the tires at COSTCO with new michelins they said they needed to put in new TPMS sensors and charged about 8 dollars a tire that was about 18 months and 18k miles ago. I know they work because I have had them come on and go off when I rectified the reason. BTW I don't think a nitrogen fill means crap I still lost air.
    Thank you for sharing your experience. I have so far replaced my LF sensor (about two years ago) and my LR sensor (about a week ago). Whenever the sensors are reset, the indications are that all the batteries are ok. I suspect the lives of batteries are like the lives of light bulbs -- may last another few minutes or another few years. Since no one is able to figure out what the issue is with my TPMS sensors (including Infiniti dealership), as a last resort, I am taking my car in to have the remaining two sensors replaced (i.e., on the RHS). I will keep you guys posted on developments.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
    I hope you mean that COSTCO charged you $8 per tire labor. :) The parts are much more expensive
    edited February 2013
    It appears that my local service place, whose service has been excellent over the past twenty years or so, had used an after-market sensor (universal type, apparently says it fits the G35) in trying to save me money (I had not asked for a cheaper solution). They sheepishly admitted that some cars are finicky about after-market sensors, but most are not, including many 'luxury' brands. So they are going to obtain the genuine OEM sensor and replace the universal sensor. I think this should do it!

Thank you all for your help!

p.s.: The nearest Infiniti dealer is 2 hours away, and another is 3 hours away!
    OEM sensor installed. Problem remains! TPMS light came on within two days! I will have to visit with the good folks at Infiniti. Keep you guys posted -- may be useful to someone else.
    I am afraid I will not be able to provide any further update on the matter. I traded-in my 2006 G35 for an Acura TL SH-AWD 6M a few days ago.
167891012»