Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• I have a 2005 G35 and I need to get some winter tires. I live in Ontario, Canada, so we get some pretty decent snow falls here. Does anyone have any suggestions on which tires to get. Currently I am looking at the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3. I am a little uneasy at driving in the snow, so something with good handling would be best. If anyone has any reviews on any tires I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Hello. I'm looking to get new tires for my 2004 G35X Sedan. I'm in the metro atlanta area so there is little to no snow in the winter but plenty of heat and rain. I'm looking for something that looks good but also has great tread wear(I need them to last for a good while), traction, quiet ride, etc..I do a lot of driving to and from work, mostly highway miles.I will consider all price range tires as long as they are worth the money and I get everything I'm looking for. Any suggestions will be great. Thanks!
  • I am driving a 2005 G35, MT. I drove a 2004 G35 until some young fellow hit me and totaled it. You may have 17-inch rims on the 2004 whereas mine has 18-inch rims. I up-sized to 245/45-18. There are more choices than at 235/45-18. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus XL. They were the only tires with a 45,000 mile warranty. I have driven them 17,000 miles and there is plenty tread left to handle a second winter of snow. They perform flawlessly on all types of roads, dry, wet, and snowy. They are making a little more noise than when they were new, but not enough to worry about.Good luck.
  • I have a 08 G35 Sedan with the sport tire package. At 18,000 miles, the dealer is telling me the rear tires need to be replaced (245/45 R18). I live in Southern California. Is this the normal wear of the tires? Also, I need recommendations on which tires to buy to replace them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • pscheidpscheid Posts: 190
    I don't think you are going to find too many folks with Gs that got a whole lot of miles on the oem tires with their Gs, probably because Infinity selected handling stats over longevity while they duke it out with the competition.

Your question about a tire recommendation is a tough one, and you will get a lot of different responses. You may want to do a forum search to see what others have purchased, why, and what they think. I depend on Tire Rack when doing my research. You didn't say what your driving habits and expectations are.

I wanted a more compliant ride, a quieter tire, one that would last longer, and one that I could feel comfortable with day to day. I live in what I consider moderate snow country, 42 inches per year average, I wanted to "get by" without purchasing a dedicated set of winter tires and rims. Plus I didn't want ot take out a mortgage for tires. The Michelins for me were a solid tire. They performed as advertised. Got nearly 30K out of them but probably should have replaced them about 6K earlier. I am the exception because everyone else seemed to have been down in the mid to high teens with their Michelins when their tires were cooked.

A year ago I replaced the original Michelin Pilot Sports, a summer tire, with a set of Bridgestone Potenza 960 AS Pole Position and have been very pleased with them so far from a price/performance perspective. A 40,000 mile tire. That being said, most seem happy with the replacement tires they have chosen to put on their Gs until they hit 15,000 miles. For many, then, all bets are off. Is it driving habits or does the car eat tires? No, the all season tire was not the best choice for snow, a compromise on my part.

If you provide some more info on your wants and needs, I am certain folks can address how their tire selection addresses what you are interested in.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    I don't have a good recommendation for you as to a replacement tire, but, like pscheid, i would use Tire Rack as a starting point.

18,000 miles for a high performance summer tire is not all that bad so far as longevity goes.
  • Hi Christine,I have a 2004 G35 sedan,and I switched to the Bridgestone Potenza RE-960 AS's they are AWESOME in all weather,and you'll get about 40,000-45,000mi on them depending on how you drive??,please take a look at Tire-Rack's website and look at the performance #'s on these tires!!!,I think you'll pleasantly surprised on HOW well they did in all testing!!!,thanks Darrin :)
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    I have a 2005 G35X with 97000 miles. I just replaced the tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 tires. These are "H" rated. yes I know the car comes with "V"s but since the H's are rated for sustained 130MPH speeds I thought they would be sufficient for my driving style in NJ. The pluses are: treadwear rated at 800! Not sure how that will translate to miles but we'll see. Also they ride incredibly smooth. On Tirerack the ratings from customers are higher than almost any other tire. Finally they were reasonable cost at $135 each from Tirerack. Seriously a great tire.
  • pscheidpscheid Posts: 190
    esfoad has shown that you don't have to take out a mortgage to get a tire that meets or exceeds your expectations. Michelins have one quality I have observed that sometimes is missing in some of the rest. Roundness.

Yes, this manufacturer's specifications for what I believe is the term "runout" are consistently at or near the top. What this translates into is a smoothness in ride you can see and feel from your fingers either gripping OR dangling from the steerining wheel. Cars with a higher sensitivity to exacting alignment, balance, and roundness can become a sheer misery to live with day to day, particularly at certain highway speeds above 60.

You can buy tires for less with the same speed ratings and consumer ratings as what you bought. But as the miles rack up a lot of the initial kudos fade into the woodwork.
  • em_geem_ge Posts: 12
    Hello... I have a G35X 2007 and the dealer tells me I have to replace my OEM tires. I have about 39000 miles on the car.

I believe the size of the OEMs are 17" 225/55...

I called the dealer and they recommended Dunlop SP Sport Signature.

I am in Chicago so I need something that will handle pretty in good in snow and slippery weather. Tread life, smoothness of ride, quietness are also important. Price i would prefer to spend no more than $150 / tire or less. I am willing to spend a bit more if it will get me a much better tire.

Thanks guys!
  • Hello...

I just sold my 2003 G35 Coupe, so no longer need the Blizzaks. My new G37 convertible has different size wheels and tires. I bought these from tirerack for $751, and they have about 6000 miles and are in excellent condition. Based on the reviews on tirerack, I think they should last at least 20000 miles on this car. I have never sold tires before so I am looking for advice on the best way to part with them. Would tire stores buy your used tires?

225/50VR-17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22
    235/50VR-17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22

Thanks, and Safe Driving

Ps. I am in Seattle
  • mcaylessmcayless Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 Infiniti G35 with 58K miles. It's a great car. However, I have noticed when I accelerate to 60 MPH, the front end shakes. I have a feeling the tires need rotating and balancing. Any ideas?
  • bankerdanbankerdan Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    I am not a mechanic, but I have driven both an '04 and '05 through that range of mileage. Here are some observations.

I haven't had any noticeable vibrations on either of the two G's I driven. I have had pretty new tires on each, and I rotate the tires every 5,000 to 7,000 miles. If you rotate the tires front to back and the vibration goes away, you are on the right track. If it is a bad vibration, it may be worth re-balancing the tires. One other cause I can think of is if you bent a wheel on something like a curb or hard bump on the road. As far as the suspension or brakes, I wouldn't know about that.

One thing I heard from the Infiniti dealer is that they need to reset the automatic pressure sensors on each tire because moving the tires front to back changes the distance the signal has to travel. I don't know if that is true, but it is worth asking about.
    edited April 2010
    I put on Michelin 245/45-18 Pilot Sport XL all season tires on my 2005 G35 (not X) sport sedan. They have a warranty for 45,000 miles. The first winter when they were new, they were great. After a summer of driving (20,000 miles) they didn't do nearly so well on snow. They are about two-thirds used up now. Living in Wisconsin, I ultimately parked the G and drove a Honda Accord for the winter mostly because of the salt.

The discussion of summer/winter tires seems to hinge on our own individual experience with snow and ice. I personally don't think of it as a problem because I have driven on ice and snow for over 40 years. But then, I have always had short, straight driveways to my garage. My guess is if you are not comfortable on snow, the G35 will offer no favors. The vehicle dynamic control is an important asset for slippery conditions. I am sure the full time 4-wheel X will do better on forward traction, but not stopping. Well equipped cars like the G35 will save you when you are surprised by a driving situation (i.e. sudden ice, or evasive action), but I don't think we can expect a car to save us if we choose to drive unsafely.
  • I have an '05 g35 coupe, no AWD, with 17" stock rims. Though it has the stock set-up, they just look a little wimpy to me. I know, I know that putting larger/wider tires on will alter performance, speedo, etc. But i want a different look without purchasing rims and coil-overs etc.
    Who here is running larger wider tires on their coupe with success? Front tires are fine for now, but rear will be bought this week. I'm thinking 285-40 17 or 255-45 17.
    What do you think?
    I simply want a wider tire and to fill up a little fender-well space.
  • I want to increase the 17 in wheels on my 2004 G35 up to 18 in, but are not sure if 8x18s can fit the front?? Also if anyone has an idea of a good all round summer tire I would like to hear about them. TIA
  • knr5knr5 Posts: 83
    I own a 2006 G35 6MT with about 44-45k miles. My car came shod with 235/45/18 Goodyear Eagle NCT tires. Like I always do, I invested in a set of good winter tires (Dunlop Winter Sport M3) for the four months of inclement weather we face in Iowa. I have been very happy with the arrangement so far despite reading in various places that the OEM tires (Goodyear Eagle NCT) were not good, even dangerous from the hydroplaning perspective. People suggested that tires which cost 30-40% of the price of the NCT were superior.in performance. That may well have been the case but I was reluctant to replace expensive OEM tires right away. In any case, I did not have any difficult situations arise with them.

However, thanks to a nail in my right rear tire recently (apparently not fixable because it was almost in the shoulder of the tire), I have to consider replacing the set of summer tires soon. I was fortunate in finding ONE same brand tire with about the same wear (50-55% life remaining) on ebay (thanks to my kids) which I have ordered as a temporary fix. I would like to eventually replace the NCTs with a good set of high performance all-season tires. I would appreciate any suggestions you may have in this regard.

Thanks a ton.
    I have a set of all season tires on an 2005 G35 6MT. I chose Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus XL. They are the best tires I have ever had. Great on dry and wet. Good on snow when they were new, but not so good after about 12,000. They were guaranteed for 45,000 miles. I have 21,500 on them now and will likely wear them out at 27,000. I found more choices at 245/45/18. They fit fine--no rubbing--although it makes the speedometer slow by 1.7%. Upping the size from 235 to 245 might give you more choices for summer tires.
  • knr5knr5 Posts: 83
    Thank you for your prompt response. I was tending towards Michelin Pilot Sports myself, having read great reviews about them. It is very nice to know you were very satisfied with them. Since I use dedicated winter tires, snow traction or wear are not high priorities for me. I need great handling, good comfort, and low noise. I was satisfied on the first two attributes with the NCTs. However, on some surfaces, the tires were pretty noisy (the winter tires are much better in this regard). I had the same experience with my 2003 G35 -- the RSAs could be pretty noisy while my winter tires (Pilot Alpins) were better. How would you rate the Pilot Sports on the noise factor?

Thanks, again, for your quick response.
  • agm1agm1 Posts: 11
    I had my Michelins removed after 30K (MXV4). They were evenly worn and gave good service. I replaced them with Falkens on my 17 inch rims. These tires provided great traction but were soooooo loud I went back to Discount Tire and they took them back as advertised. I now have YK520...Yokohama. Excellent and quiet rated A/A and 60K. I have never had a tire that lasted more than 30K. I hope this info is helpful.