Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Infiniti G35 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• This is for a different vehicle (my wife's X3), but we replaced the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL-42s with Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons, and both the handling and the ride are greatly improved.

Bruce
  • bg18947bg18947 Posts: 184
    Just wanted to report that the TPMS light on the dash doesn't bother me at all using a set of winter treads where I didn't install the TPMS sensors. I will search through the Service Manual to see if it says anything about being able to disable it. As long as there isn't any audible signal, I'm fine with it.

2008 G35XS Rocks!
    I just went through the TPMS section of the '08 G35 Service Manual. When the TPMS transmitters are activated, they are done in sequence in a clockwise fashion starting with the Front Left tire. I made the mistake of not marking the inside of my factory rims and their position before putting on the winter wheelset. The TPMS warning light blink sequence indicates which tire is low based on the activation sequence FL FR RR RL. The 18" Dunlops that came with the G35X Sport are not directional tires. I guess this means that I have a 25% chance of getting the right tire in the right position when spring rolls around. If they were directional tires, then I would have had a 50% chance of guessing the Fr vs the Rr tire. I just have to figure out which tire is low if a warning ever comes on, until I bring it back to Infiniti for a wheel rotation service. Heads Up! My first vehicle with TPMS. I'll learn from this mistake. I didn't bother marking my wheels when I put on the winter set because they had less than 100 miles on them. I didn't realize that they are activated in sequence. Now I've learned. Just an FYI for all newbies like myself.

I've put in an Ebay search for the J-45295 Activation Tool should someone have one for sale.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Okay... can you explain this to me?
    I did remove my wheels and they are marked so I know where they came from.
    I have 7,500 miles on the tires, so intended on rotating them in the spring when I put them back on. Are you telling me that I need to put them back in the same position, or that the blink sequence would be different if I mix them up?

If it's just the blink sequence, I'm not too worried.
    I keep a pressure gauge in the glove box and check the tires from time to time as well.
    If it's a matter of the sensors not syncing correctly if in the wrong location, this I would need to know.

Thanks.
    I expect that each TPMS transmitter has a different frequency, so when you move them the flash sequence would indicate the wheel based on the initial activation location. My guess is that they expect customers to bring the car in for a tire rotation at an Infiniti dealer where they might charge you for re-activation on top of the rotation service.

I'm not too worried. Just have to check which tire is low on air. I always pump up as well before popping the tires on between the seasons.
    Ah, I didn't know that.
    Personally, I didn't know there was a blink sequence and I just check them manually anywy.
    Thanks
  • We have a 2005 G-35. Love the car..BUT...in July 2006 had to replace all of them. The car was barely one year old!
    Now..it won't pass inspection..have to replace back tires. (only 1 1/2 year old)

IS THIS NORMAL? (Feeling very Ripped off!) :sick:

Oh...the set of tires we bought in 2006...($1800)

Please tell me it's NOT normal to replace the tires every year!!! :cry:
    What brand and model tire were they?
    What size are they?
    Where are you located? (Climate)
    How many miles have you driven in the past 1.5 years?

These answers can help us determine if you're getting your money's worth.
  • Please excuse the ignorant question, but I am...ignorant. I have 4 225/55 R16 Dunlop Alpina snow tires with only 1 season of use on them and would love to throw them on my new G35x to give me even better traction in the snowy Northeast. Can I do that? A friend recently told me that she put the wrong size tires on her car and her mileage was cut in half! How would 16" tires affect my mileage and/or comfort? Thanks very much!

Jeff
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    Do you have a Coupe? If so, welcome to the club as G35 Coupes eat tires. Front inside feathering and rear middle tread wear are the norm. If you get 18,000 miles out of the rears you are doing well. The fronts can get 25,000 miles but they will get very noisey. One of the reasons after 4 1/2 years of ownership I am planning on selling my G35 Coupe is due to tire issues. This problem is only with the Coupe. The sedan is fine and 25-30,000 miles out of a set of tires (with regular rotations) is normal.
    You'll probably want to check the outside tire diameter from the manufacturer's website compared to the stock tires. You also need to verfiy the offset of the rims you intend to use. Also, is there enough clearance for the brakes on 16" rims. Can't think of what else you might need to check. But, these are the major ones:

Tire Diameter
    Wheel Offset
    Rim/Brake Clearance
  • I own a 2004 G35 coupe with the sport tires package. I can ASSURE you that you will burn through tires (especially rear tires) every year or so. I was buying OEM Mich
    pilot rear tires at $600/pair on a yearly basis and fronts about every 1 1/2 yrs. I switched to BF Goodrich KDW 2's and saved some $$$ with no real loss in performance. This is part and parcel of owning these cars. Wait until the brake problems start...since you own a 2005, you don't get the extended brake warranty that Inifiniti gave 2003-2004 owners... :surprise:
  • mrmeo123mrmeo123 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an 04 g35 coupe. Comes with staggered tire size. Has anyone ever ran same size front and rear and is this a change that will work?
    You can run 4 tires of the same size on any car.
    You cannot, however, run staggered tires on an AWD system.

On your car, it would be fine. In fact, it's suggested to go a little smaller for winter tires... like 17's
  • bruceomegabruceomega Posts: 250
    You cannot, however, run staggered tires on an AWD system

Yes, this does seem to be the case normally. But on the BMW 535Xi, if you get the optional 18" wheels with summer performance tires, they come in staggered sizing. Or at least that used to be the case. Right now, the 535Xi options page of their web site is down, so I can't confirm.

Bruce
    Hmm... I didn't know that
    I wonder if they've done something to the system which allows it.
    Infiniti has stated that staggered wheels could cause damage to the system.
    I just checked the BMW site. (bmwusa.com)
    Looks like the 528xi has an optional tire size of 245 40R18
    It says nothing about being staggered though, and I honestly know nothing about previous years, so I can't say for sure.
    I just checked the BWM web site this morning, and they still do not have the options pages back up.

I have a .pdf copy of the '08 5 series brochure from last summer. I can't copy the text, but for the 528Xi it says the optional wheels available with the sport package are 18 x 8.0 (style 246) with 245/40R-18 run flat performance tires. It does not say anything about staggered sizing for the 528Xi.

For the 535Xi, it says the optional wheels available with the sport package are 18 x 8.0 front and 18 x 9.0 rear (style 124) with 245/40R-18 front and 275/35R-18 rear run flat performance tires.

I know, this seems counterintuitive, but that is what I read.

You may be able to see the brochure at this web location, http://jon.bimmerfest.com/bulletins/MY2008E60brochure.pdf
    which is from Bimmerfest.
    Page 10 has info on wheels / tires.

Bruce
  • alang4alang4 Posts: 40
    Is this now the BMW forum?
  • madmarlinmadmarlin Posts: 29
    Anybody have any significant experience swapping the OE Bridgestones for the Goodyear Eagle F1's? I'm due for tires and am not impressed with the wear of the Potenza's. I live in South Florida, so heat and rain are an issue. In my exhaustive search, it seems that the only other tire that has the size for both front and rear on the Sport is the Eagle F1. I know a few of you have made the switch. Any comments, good or bad? I look forward to the replies.
    Is this now the BMW forum?

No... it's a discussion on how the AWD system between the BMW and the Infiniti may differ, which in hopes may explain why we cannot run staggered wheel sizes on the G.

Why, have something to add? ;)
  • grebo007grebo007 Posts: 2
    Well I can tell you my exp. I had the Potenza's to start. 225/40/19 front and 245/40/19 rear. They lasted me about 22k. I am sure your tires are pretty loud by now..lol!! I then purchased the Mich PS2's. I paid $1700 total for all 4 tires. Ouch..!! I have put 18k on them so far and the tread is at 4/32..They don't make as much noise as the Potenza's but then again they did cost a lot more. I probably have about 4k left on them as well.. To be honest I wouldn't spend that kind of money anymore. It doesn't matter what tire you have, our g35 will eat them up..!!

I am going to go with the Toyo's Proxes T1-r's or the Kumho's Ecsta spt.. The toyo's would cost about $1000 total and the Kumho's about $750 total. Either way the tires will be comparable..

2005 g35 sport tune
    Thanks for the info. The problem I have with the 2007 G Sport is that the only tires which come in sizes to fit both the front and rear, at least as far as I have found, are the Potenzas or the GY Eagle F1's. I've had good luck with Toyo's on other cars, but they don't make a size to fit both front and rear. I'm leaning towards the GY's at this point. Not too much difference in price. If the GY's are anywhere close to the treadwear rating versus the Potenzas, I'll be happy. Just never know with that given the latitude the tire makers have with that.
    scottm123,

Since this was getting beyond just the G35, I posted a follow up in the Ultimate AWD Sedan thread, post # 709 in http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0a4375.ef3fcce/701

Bruce
    Just read it... very good post.
    I'll have to watch that one.

Thanks!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • grebo007grebo007 Posts: 2
    What's your tire size?
    Fronts are 225-50-18 and rears are 245-45-18. Fronts are the ones that are a problem to find in other brands. Only seems to be the GY's and the Potenzas.
    Just put on the Eagle F1 AS tires yesterday. Will report back after putting some miles on them.
  • midwestg35midwestg35 Posts: 1
    I have 7k miles and 2 snowstorms on on the GY Eagle f1s. I love them. Summer tires do not work in the midwest. I have the sport so rotating is not an option. The original Bridgestones are on the front (22k total now, probably another 3 until new ones there). I paid $210 each intalled for the rears.