Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Tires and Wheels

Comments

• ny540i6ny540i6 Posts: 518
    Just easing back into the forums after a loooong layoff...

I must be doin' it wrong - my 03' 540 now has 114K miles on the clock, and tires are not a concern at all. I use dedicated snows, on a set of Borbet wheels; I've had 2 sets of snow tires. I changed the first (Blizzaks)more for "I wanted different" than because they were worn out, and the second set I expect to get another winter out of... I put the snows on in Nov-Dec, and take 'em off in Mar-Apr.

The rest of the time the summer wheels (OEM M-parallels) are on the car. I was happy with the original Contis, but changed to the excellent but ugly :D Michelin PS2. I got about 24K out of the rears before they started looking like slicks... very cool until it rained lolol. I am now running Goodyears (GSDs) I've had these on for about 25K. I just replaced the front pair, because of a darn sidewall puncture, but I was thinking of doing it anyway, because the Goodyears get noisy with age, however there was still a lot of useable tread left.

Point of all my rambling? It is possible to run these cars and run them hard on high performance rubber, and still get more than 10k out of a set.

On another note... I sure wish I could be one of the folks who only drive the things 12K a year, but...
  • To Pat, Karen, and the more knowlagable posters: I have an 06' 530i with the sport package. Can you guys recommend wheel manufacturers that offer strong, durable, alloy wheels, that are comparable in weight to the OEM style #124's (I think) :blush: that are priced in the 2k$ range, and will be compatable with the veh. FTM system, since I will still be using runflat tires.

Thanks
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I think your hosts will hang back and let your fellow posters give you some suggestions since we are just, um, hosts. :)
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,020

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Thought I had posted this before, so if it shows up twice at some point, I apologize:

I am a big fan of BBS wheels, and I also like Borbets. I've also owned sets of OZ Racing. I've never had any issues with these manufacturers in terms of fitment, finish quality, hubcentricity or balance. I am not a big fan of chrome, so I can't offer any history on some of the more popular shiny stuff
  • I have the same car 530xi with the sport package, both front tires have bubbles on them. I am scheduled to goto the dealer on Thursday but I am very dissapointed as he said they are not responsible for tires. The car creaks everytime I hit a bump in the road or go up my driveway. Runflats suck and the lowprofile tires are junk. :confuse:
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,020
    I have the same car 530xi with the sport package, both front tires have bubbles on them. I am scheduled to goto the dealer on Thursday but I am very dissapointed as he said they are not responsible for tires.

How many miles do you have on the car? Sidewall bubbles are usually indicative of damage caused by hitting a pothole or similar, so I'm not surprised that the dealer is balking- especially if you have 5k or more miles on the odometer.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    The car: 2002 530i, 5-speed, SP, 65K miles, plan to keep car for at least another year or two.

The tires on the car: Michelin PS-2. 3 worn tires with 30K miles, 1 tire with 12K miles at 6/32 (replacement for flat tire).

Tire in the trunk: Michelin Pilot Primacy, never used

Option #1: Replace the 3 worn tires with new PS-2 tires

Option #2: Replace 1 tire with new PS-2, one with new Pilot and use the Pilot from the trunk. Put the PS-2 tires up front and the Pilots in rear. Replace trunk tire with best of the 3 used tires. With this option I only buy 2 tires.

Which is the recommended option?
    If I do option 2, would the handling of the car be affected in any way? Should the PS-2 tires be up front or in the rear?

FYI, the PS-2 tires lasted about 30K, the original Pilots I replaced at 36K with probably another 5K to 8K left (was required to put new tires on to purchase as CPO).

Thanks for your input.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    It's probably best if you keep all four tires the same on you're car, so, how about:

1) Take your best PS-2 and put it in the trunk and then buy three new Pilot Primacys.
    2) Chuck the four worn PS-2s and then buy four new Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs or four new Kumho Ecsta SPT (either set of four can be had for #396 from TireRack).

BTW, remember to E-Mail me when yer fixin' to sell your car. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    What's important to you? Your post indicates to me that you are really not interested in running the 5 to the ragged edge, so I don't really see a reason to spring for the cost of the new PS2. In addition, you could increase tire life significantly, and probably increase road comfort by going with something else.

As to your options - DO NOT do option 2! Yes, your handling would be affected, and some non-emergency maneuvers could very well escalate to emergencies because of the difference, and unpredictability is not your friend. (Besides - it's really not cool to be driving a $40K plus car with mixed tread...lolol)

Go back to when you replaced the tires - why did you choose the PS-2s? Again, judging from your post, It looks like tires are not that important to you, so moving away from them should not be a big deal.

Bit of trivia for you - At some point the spare will be useless - the rubber ages even if not used. I'd consider going with the Pilots, moving the spare into the rotation, and "upgrading" the spare to a used PS-2.

Or let me put it this way - What Shipo said. lol
  • abfischabfisch Posts: 591
    This is not to inflame you all, but why are you buying vehicles that are lowered, have less suspension travel, have low profile tires and live in cities with roads that are obviously not made for that kind of vehicle??? I realize this may be too late for some, but if these vehicles are daily drivers and you live in cities or suburbs with poor road conditions, that should be a consideration upon purchasing. Unfortunaely, BMW does not make a sport package for city driving, which could be ideal for your application.

Although this may not help now, I would either get a beater for the daily drives(a Toyota Avalon comes to mind) and use the BMW for the weekends, or get a BMW with the regular suspension and wheels enjoying it as a primay care.

The packages related to motorsport useage on poor roads seems like a big SELL and are counterintuitive.

abfisch
    get a BMW with the regular suspension and wheels enjoying it as a primary car.

Interesting observation.... if I look at my car (E 39), what i see is that over the different iterations "regular wheels" have included 16" 17" and 18", with tire aspect ratios ranging from 60 series, all the way down to 35/40 series. Are some more comfortable than others? Sure. Is there a bit of hype attached? Sure. I use my car as a daily driver. Other than swapping to snows each winter, I do nothing to cater to suspension, wheels etc. I just returned from a 1600 mile round trip to Indiana/Michigan, on roads of varying quality, and enjoyed every minute. Carving through Pennsylvania's mountains at 2 in the morning was an absolute blast, and part of why I bought the car equipped as it is.

BTW, I also have a Camry that I rarely drive... lol
    Thanks shipo and ny540i6 for your replies.

Actually tire performance is important to me, that is why I switched to PS-2 from the Pilot Primacy's. The PS-2 were highly rated when I purchased them 3 years ago and I was willing to give up on 10K to 15K miles of extra tire wear (compared to the Pilots) to get their improved performance. My driving takes me both on high speed runs and also on canyon runs. When I switched, I noticed a big handling improvement (however part of that improvement was probably from comparing worn Pilots to the new PS-2's).

I guess I am thinking at what handling cost is there to saving $250 in buying the third tire. From your posts, it appears that the suggestion of mixing the tires is a bad one (that suggestion was actually given to me by the salesman at my local tire store). That is why I immediately posted my question here. Did not sound right mixing tires and treads.

OK, then, based on your suggestions, what sounds best to me is either, as both shipo and ny540i6 suggest, to buy 3 new Pilots and use the Pilot from the trunk, or buy 3 new PS-2 tires and use them with the 12K mile tire. Right? Will I continue to notice a significant handling improvement if I choose the PS-2's over the Primacy's?

As for how long I plan to keep the car, that is an issue of its own. However, I can safely say that I plan to hold on to the car for a while. Unfortunately my CPO warrantee expires December 30, 2007, but my payments do not end until Dec 30, 2008 (3-year lease plus 4-year purchase loan at 3.9%). It would be nice to own a car without payments. I am driving the car at a rate of about 10K miles per year right now. I assume some of the expensive repair items are about 10K to 20K miles away still (brakes, clutch, hoses, belts, radiator, suspension parts...). But then there is all the new cars coming out that handle better and are faster....
    "OK, then, based on your suggestions, what sounds best to me is either, as both shipo and ny540i6 suggest, to buy 3 new Pilots and use the Pilot from the trunk, or buy 3 new PS-2 tires and use them with the 12K mile tire. Right? Will I continue to notice a significant handling improvement if I choose the PS-2's over the Primacy's?"

I notice a handling difference every time I do the winter/summer tire swap. Right now I am running Goodyear GSD-3s, however I have had the Michelin PS-2s, and like them a lot. If it were me, I'd go with the PS-2s, especially as you say that you do value the handling. The other good thing about the PS-2s is that they ride pretty well, so the trade off there is not a big one.

BTW, I'd put the 12K used tire on the front end of the car to start with. Those are a directional tire, so the rotation swap would be front to back only, and I would put it on the non-drive side, to minimize wear when you move it to the back later on (sorry, I never remember which rear wheel is the powered "dominant" wheel).
  • I have a 2007 530xi. It came with Goodyear RS-A's which are an "all season" tire.
    I've generally had found the performance of all season tires in snow acceptable on the AWD cars I've owned (the AWD seems to make up for the shortfalls of the all season tire).
    Anybody have comments on this setup for a New England winter? (assuming that it actually snows this year).
    Couple things.... first, the RS-A has never impressed me. I've had them, and other than a soft ride, it was a mediocre performer.

Second, Even with AWD, I would go with dedicated snows, on a different set of wheels. Bottom line is, touring tires give up quite a bit, with single purpose rubber being way more capable.
    Update: I purchased three PS-2's (to go with the almost new fourth tire). Needless to say, I am thrilled with the improved handling. Thanks again for the advice.
    Hey, anytime. Glad it worked out.
  • ahk9ahk9 Posts: 3
    Anyone know why2005 BMW 545i have difference tire size for rear and front?
    Also, My buddy wants to trade his 545i tires for my 530i tires which are both 18".
    Is it okay to exchange rims and tires even though 545i has different rear and front tires? Will it be a problem to have different tire sizes for 530?
  • church38church38 Posts: 6
    Have a 2004 525i with the sports package and the 530i 18 in rims. Original tires on car were Goodyear Eagle NCT5 RSC 245/40R18 93W. Had tire issues in Texas and BMW dealer replaced them with Yokohama AVS ES100s. Car has a crazy howling sound when going down the road. My F-150 is quieter going down the road (really). The cheapest I've found the original tire for is $400 a pop (tirerack). Has anyone used any other tire (GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3 ROF) on similar model with good to moderate results with tires not being so noisy? I don't remember the care being that noisy with the original tires. I don't think I need to maintain run flats on the care, it does have a spare and the dealer also said that I didn't need to maintain run flats but if I can't get a tire that runs down the road without making the noise I may have to go back to them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Randy