Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Tires and Wheels

Comments

• joshuah1joshuah1 Posts: 22
    I dedcided to get after-market wheels for my 2007 Type S. The problem is, the Brembo break caliper is so big, I'm having trouble finding a wheel that fits. They put the wheels on but the front ones shake (maybe the back ones to too) through the steering wheel. They put some spacers on and that reduced but did not eliminate the shake so they are ordering some custom spacers. I hope that solves the problem. Anyone out there have a similar experience and/or solution? JH
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,482
    Today the new Toyo Versados were mounted on my '05 TL replacing the OEM Turanza EL 42s. Very, very early impressions: MUCH QUITER!!! And smoother ride. Of course, these are brand spankin' new and the ELs left me with a little over 31,200 miles on 'em.

Thanks for the thoughts, Habitat1. I decided to go the Luxury Tourning A/S route over UHP A/S (as you suggested). I'll have to see how the handling is now. Looking forward to an improvement in the snow....gosh, I hope so...

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

Okay, 1000 miles on the new tires. They offer a much smoother and quieter ride over the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL42s. Handling seems fine, maybe a bit more understeer? No issues in rain, awaiting the snow test...

• jefhjefh Posts: 6
    After 35500+ miles, my 05 TL automatic has worn out the original Michelin MXM4 tires. However, I have some doubts:

1. Actually only the inner rims of all 4 tires are bald, but the rest of the treads are still ok. Is this normal to TL? my friend's BMW X5 and 5 series have tires mounted non-vertically on purpose for stability, but I can't see that on TL visually. Does this look like alignment problem?

2. Even though the tires are almost dead, the original brake pads still have around 90% left (according to 2 different dealers and one gas station who just fixed my flat tire) and it's like that since my 1st 7500 service. Am I so lucky (they still make squeezing sound sometimes as common 05 issue, which is not as good) to have these or it's common to TL, too? I drive on highway most of the time, but I don't think it'll last that long (by comparing to my previous 02 SAAB 93 which cost me rotors also in < 30000 miles).

3. Are V rated tires runs longer, rides smoother and quieter than the W rated OEM tires? I like the MXM4, but not the price. And I don't think I'll risk driving it above 120 mph a lot :)

Thanks,
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Brake life can vary tremendously, as I learned yesterday. Our 2005 MDX at 37,000 miles, needed new pads around and needed to have the rotors refinished at a total cost of $750. That's about $350 more than I've spent in 155k miles on barkes for my 1995 Maxima. It needed new front pads at 90,000 miles and at 150,000 miles and new rears at 120,000 miles. The rotors have never been touched.

I had the Acura service manager confess that Acura is only "average" when it comes to brake life and performance (with the exception of the "excellent" Brembo brakes that came on my 2004 TL).

As for tires, I've said this before. A "W" rated tire on a FWD TL (even the 6-speed manual, "S" model) is absurd overkill. If you drive the car hard enough to claim to need that kind of tire, you better have a big life insurance policy. In vigorous driving, the 60/40 weight imbalance and front heavy "plowing" through corners will wear the "W" rated tires faster on a TL than on my 911S, which happens to be capable of 182 and 1.01g's, not that I'll ever test either.

You would do just fine with V rated tires. That old Maxima of mine got through 155,000 miles with H rated tires on 15" wheels and (thanks partly to a 500 lb lighter curb weight), handles nearly as well as my 2004 TL 6-speed with the firmer suspension on the original W-rated HPT tires.
  • Hi,
    I'm looking to purchase a pair of wheels for 2007 TL TypeS. Mine got stolen and I need a replacement ASAP. If anybody knows where I can get a pair (could be used) please let me know. I spend all day calling all the shops and junk yards with no luck.

Thanks!
  • pashanyc,

Sorry to hear about that. I was thinking of place locking lug nuts on my wheels and now I'm going to.

Most Acura dealers carry wheels for the Type S. Finding a wheel to cover the Brembo brakes is a real mission. I purchased the chrome look-alike wheels from Acura for $475 per wheel. They're made for the car so not only do they look nice, they give a good ride.

Try this message board as there has been plenty of discussion about wheels for the Type S TL.

http://tl.acurazine.com/
  • i just replaced the tires on my 05 today. i'm also on my 3rd set of front brake pads. it's my understanding that 30,000 is common for the tl tires. the brakes were free both times. The first set were "prematurely worn." I went to have the second set replaced and there was actually a service bulletin at the dealer because there was a bad batch of brake pads installed on many tls. Lucky that yours are still intact. I replaced my tires with four dunlop sp9000. they feel strange day one, very good dry handling, but a bit harder ride. I have been riding on a spare for over two weeks so my judgement may be off.
  • jefhjefh Posts: 6
    thanks for the comments from jmboerner and habitat1. But I'm still wondering if there's any possible structural issue (such as chassis and/or axle) with my TL, since only the inner rims of all 4 tires are bald whereas everywhere else is still good ( at least 5/32 left ). Do you see the same when you replace your tires?

I'm going to keep driving it for a while and do it all together @ the 37500 service. I might be opt for YK520 from Yokohama, specially made for America's tires, because of high user rating, 520AA UTQG and VR speed rating.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I replaced my "high performance" tires a little early at 18,000 miles, but as I recall, the wear pattern was even accross the tire. You may indeed have some sort of error in the adjustments causing the excessive inner wear.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    I see a few for sale on Ebay- check there ;)
  • Acura are selling rims and winter tyres up here in Canada for the type s;
    Blizacks and rims $1450
    Michelin X ice and rims $1625
    Price includes TPMS, tyre mounting and tax

Anyone got any preference between those 2 tyres?
  • Iam expeiencing balding on my 2 front tires
    after 14000 miles the dealer acura and michelin is giving me the run around how should i frame a letter to acura and to whom should i send it too
  • Rotating the tires on my TL was the key to getting the most mileage out of them (michelins). Still, I think the most I got was 20k. The car eats tires. Some people have had good luck w/ other brands. Search the TL forum for "replacement tires". I don't believe the oem tires have a warranty on them, so michelin probably won't be sympathetic.
  • mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    I've got Michelins on my 2006, 25k and they look pretty much brand new. If you don't rotate the tires regularly on any car the front tires will show excessive wear pretty quick.
  • I live in Minnesota having lots of trouble driving my 05 Tl in just 2-3 inches help! I have new Toyo tires on thought that would help, any advice? Have lived here all my life so i know how to drive in snow had a 2000 Honda Accord coupe before this and that car was great in snow...
  • Can you be a little more specific about your problems.
    Is this your first winter with this car? :confuse:
  • No this will be my 3rd winter, the car likes to get stuck quite a bit, seems like a lot of snow pack between tires and wheel wells, poor traction (toyo proxes 4 tires on right now)
  • Two words: snow tires. I had 4 Blizzaks on alloy rims. Cost around $800 when I bought the car. Try tirerack.com
    I'm afraid that upstatedoc is probably right. This is my third winter with my '05 TL, I blamed the Bridgestone Turanza EL42s for the poor snow performance. Replaced the Turanzas this summer w/Toyo Versados. A noticeable improvement in noise and smooth ride. However, today was our first bit of snow here in Boston. My TC was employed all the way up my driveway. ABS came on at a stop sign. I'm afraid that the Toyos may be worse!!!???

Wide, low aspect ration all-season performance/luxury tires. Just not a good combo in the snow it appears. Maybe I should have gone with the Conti ExtremeContacts... Snow tire are probably now the best bet...