Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Tires and Wheels

Comments

• That is one of the main reason I got rid of the 2003 Type S I had, the car could not make it up a 30 degree incline road close to my house.My 94 Camry has that incline for breakfast, even when I use the manual mode, the car still could not make it over the hump.
  • OK so Minnesota is getting pounded with snow, anyway thanks for everybody's advice on driving in snow with the TL. I got snow tires yesterday what a difference. I went to Discount Tires, they put on Hancock Icebear winter tires amazing, wish i had known earlier they are Z rated so won't mess with handling/performance $636.00 for 4 new tires and install. Now looking forward to more snowfall!
  • armandarmand Posts: 178
    I have the Conti Extreme contacts on my '04 TL and they are not bad in the snow. My w3ife car is an all wheel dive BMW 3 series and itis better.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,487
    How are the Contis as far as ride/handling/noise? They've gotten good reviews in the snow, I was going to go with 'em. But at the last minute went with the Toyos. Which are pretty smooth and quiet.

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Wide, low aspect ration all-season performance/luxury tires. Just not a good combo in the snow it appears. Maybe I should have gone with the Conti ExtremeContacts... Snow tire are probably now the best bet...

Snow tires are THE answer for driving in snow, ice. Problem with all-season tires is they are mediocre at every driving condition.

Am in N Illinois near Wisc, so get snow and ice. We have two TLs, 04 and 07. Each has a spare set of rims from TireRack and Dunlop snows on all wheels. Also, we went from 45 series to 50 series tires to have a narrower track and better bite. Have approx same circumference as OEM tires. Have not had problem in snow or ice. Driveway is long and inclined and can get up it. Of course, would never attempt to drive in snow deeper than the car's ground clearance.
    You are, of course, correct. My ~30 years of successful New England snow driving with FWD/all season's has spoiled me/turned me away from true snows. Honestly, the TL is the first car I've owned that has forced me to think about snow tires. But, I believe that this is the widest/smallest sidewall tire on any car I've had.

Had I but known, I might have gone with a RWD and bought the dedicated rims/snows...

So, the Toyo Versados I find smoother and quieter than the EL42s w/similar handling. Snow performance, so far, seems on par. Maybe worse? :sick:

• xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    So, the Toyo Versados I find smoother and quieter than the EL42s w/similar handling.

We will need to replace EL42's on 04 TL next March when snows come off. How did you arrive at buying Toyo Versados? Had you considered any other brands/models? What were your needs, criteria?

Many TL owners have complained about the flat-spotting of the EL42s and I would agree. One thing I like about them though is the smooth and quiet ride, yet gives decent grip in the twisties. No doubt they are nowhere as good as Michelin Pilot summers and similar brands from what I read. But, many of the high perf tires have a penalty of harsher ride and make noise. Have had some perf tires in past on other cars that are noisy when new and noise just gets louder and louder with age. Don't want to do this again.
  • Bought blizzacks and the type S handles ten times better in our cold, snowy winters!! They're a must have with all that Hp and low profile setup
    Hi: Warning! While I'm not sure that any of the other tires I was considering to replace the EL42s would have been better, the Toyo Versados appear to be worse in the snow than the Bridgestones. I kinda had a feeling this would be the case, I didn't think you could achieve a smoother quieter ride and gain traction in the snow... shame on me...

XR2, I used the Tire Rack configuration tool for the TL. I was going to go w/Conti ExtremeContacts as overall the Tire Rack customers gave 'em pretty good reviews, esp. in the snow. But, iirc, they were rated a little lower by TR tests, including being a bit rougher and noisier in every day driving. I spoke to a couple of coworkers who had experience w/the Contis and of course one loved 'em, one hated 'em. The hater was a big Toyo fan, however.

Anyway, the shop where I have my cars maintained were very high on the Versados. A "Luxury" tire that trumpeted smooth and quite, two criteria on the top of my list. The TL handles very well, but as a nose heavy fwd, it ain't no BMW or Porsche. So, ultimate performance summer tires weren't on my list. I wanted all-seasons that also would lost longer than the ~31k I got out of the EL42s (two of the ELs had more tread life left, two were pretty much done). And they were on sale with a lifetime road hazard warranty included among a few other perks of buying at the local shop. So, given the 95% of the year I wouldn't need (better) snow traction I opted for the Versados over the Contis or Bridgestones, Michelin & Pirelllis (all from Tire Rack reviews) and indeed up until the snow, they seemed like a good choice. Oh, well.

A neighbor bought the Contei Extremes about the same time I bought the Versados, I'll have to see how he thinks that they are in the snow.

Again, I had never really thought about tires. Usually I sold a car before the tires needed replacement or if I had to replace just one I would go with the OEM tire. Never really had any problems or complaints.

It pains me that the TL, which I so enjoy, will always be remembered as the worst car in the snow that I've ever owned...

Couldn't get up my driveway this morning to pick up my daughter from a sleepover. She got a ride home in a Subaru Outback wagon, but they didn't try to bring her down my driveway.

Off to Tire Rack to review snows...

So, given you have snows, you have a wide open field. IIRC, the Birdgestone Pole Postions garnered very high ratings, play on the Tire Rack for help.

• bg18947bg18947 Posts: 183
    I'm comparing the '08 TL-S against the Infiniti G35X. One of my concerns is snow traction. I have winter tires (Blizzaks and Arctic Alpins) on my Subaru and Odyssey, and both drive confidently in the winter for the most part. What's your experience like in a TL with winter tires?

Thanks!
  • There are many previous posts regarding this issue, however it won't matter what kind of snow tires you get for the TL, it won't handle nearly as well as a G35x in the snow. My buddy had one and it could climb Mt. Everest (Well, he lived on one of the biggest hills in town and had no troubles). He upgraded to an X5 because he needed the room.
    Received an email from Tire Rack last night announcing that my snows have been shipped. So this morning, with a fresh inch of snow on the driveway my TL with the all season Toyos pulls up the hill like a champ. No TC, no wheel spin, no drama. They know the snows are coming and are trying to prove their worth...

Maybe I should cancel the snow tire order??? Just kiddding, I've thrown in the towel.

• armandarmand Posts: 178
    The Contis are better than the OEM bridgestones in ride handling and noise but the TL is still (and I think always will be ) a hard riding car with pretty good handling. Noise is OK but not great.
    Dunlop Wintersport M3 snows mounted on silver Sport Edition wheels are now mounted on my TL. The first snow tires I've ever owned. Current temp: ~50 degrees. The two feet+ of snow received this month is almost all gone (except for the drifts/piles). Likelihood of more snow in New England this winter: exponentially lowered by my purchase of snow tires!!! :sick:

Actually looking forward to next snow to, of course, test the snows...

Ride home: tires seem smooth/quiet enough. Car feels a little more like it's "perched" as the snows are taller and narrower. Also, have to brake a little earlier...

• Watch out for the torque steer as well, I had Blizzaks on those S.E. rims and the TS is much more pronounced. In one of my previous posts I mentioned that it was strong enough to pull me into the other lane under hard acceleration.
    Thanks, I'll keep an eye (hands?) out for the TS. Strange feeling, driving on the narrower/tallers... Possible snow Monday/Tuesday, so we'll see...

As I had my Tire Rack-purchased Dunlops drop-shipped to my local store for installation, I didn't actually see them until they were on the car. I checked the DOT label and my "new" snow tires were produced in the summer of 2005! I called Tire Rack to query them, basically I could return 'em but they said they're warrantied from the date of my purchase and the way the Rack stores 'em should have kept 'em in good shape. They had no more to replace 'em, I need snows so I'll just keep an eye on 'em. Tire RAck was apologetic, and I'm on record as having been less than satisfied with the age of the tires, so while I hope I never have an issue, if I do hopefully the Rack will be accommodating...

• just about to close on a TL-S. Buy for $ 34,800 with season mats and trunk mat. Also, free oil changes. Is it worth it for the tire warranty ? they are asking for $ 149. I have read some tire issues here. I'm sure I can knock the price down another $ 20. The warranty is only for the orginal set of tires.
  • Did the "finance manager" suggest the tire warranty? Or did you ask for it? I never got the tire warranty on any of my Acuras. The big question would be what does it cover. If only "structural defects" then I would stay away. If it covers road hazards then it might be worthwhile. I dented a rim and damaged the side wall of a tire shortly after buying my '03 TLS and had to cough up the dough. It was actually my wife who was driving, she didn't see the huge pothole in the road. :shades:
  • It is a Road Hazard Program. Covers my tires for 36 months from date of purchase.
    From what I have read, the tires won't last me 3 years. I would do around 12k to 15k a yr. Tire repairs are covered up to $ 25 per occurrence and tires that are unrepairable will be replaced with no proration within 36 months from date of purchase. I assume that this does not cover the rims. The $25 max for repair seems low ! if unrepairable that seems right, but $ 25 does not get much these day, especially in a dealer service dept. I know the tires are around $ 200 each.
    to replace. What do you guys think ?