Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Tires and Wheels

Comments

• After reading through some of the winter tire questions I thought I would share what I did. My '05 TL has 53k miles. I'm on my third set of "summer" tires (long story; wasn't happy w/the OEM set. And it's not my driving style, I just replaced my brakes this weekend and they had 30% to 40% life left on them) but had never owned winter tires.

After moving to Minnesota from southeast Michigan I went through one bad winter and realized driving my TL is like running a hot corncob through butter...just slides all over. This fall I went on TireRack.com and purchased the tire/wheel combo you see below for about $900 including shipping. Actually it came to $850 because the mfgr is sending me a $50 AmEx gift card (woo-hoo!). The very next day we had an inch of snow in Minneapolis and the tires performed beautifully. I felt like I was driving my wife's all-wheel drive SUV. Granted, an inch of slushy, wet snow isn't a real "test". But there wasn't a single moment where I felt nervous about taking a hard turn on the interstate that winds through Minneapolis. If I'd had my other tires, I would have been crawling through those turns, and still worried about sliding into the guard rails.

As for going down in wheel size and increasing the tire size, I've asked that question before and been shot down. I too have replaced a couple rims and it's not cheap. I just chalk it up to the downside to owning this car. I love it in all other respects so I just bite my tongue when it happens (though we don't have an abundance of potholes around us).

Tires: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?model=Blizzak+LM-25&make=Bridgestone&

Wheels: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake- =Sport+Edition&wheelModel=F10&wheelFinish=Silver+Painted&partnum=F107811260S

I decided to order the wheel/tire combo because we plan on holding on to the car for another 5 years until our daughter can drive, and then give it to her. So I just store the "spare" tires in a corner of our garage and plan on swapping them out every six months as the seasons require.
  • gbosilgbosil Posts: 88
    Follow-up.. I recommend the Michelin Exalto! I put 17,754 miles on them so far and they have 7/32 treadlife left! I rotate every oil change approx 7K miles. Excellent in snow, rain and ride smooth with no noise. Only Low Profile with 50K mileage warranty. They are a "no brainer for the buck!" :)
  • I got a call from my delaership after i left the car with them for my B12 service- that the tires are wearing out on the inside..could be mis alignment - is that common with the OEM tires. I am in socal - i am a lil surprised that i had to change tires under 30k with no snow and no winter wear...is this common with the 07 base TL OEM tires.

Thanks,
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    well suffice it to say I'm not surprised that your tires wore out: I have a 08 Base TL so you must of had the same [non-permissible content removed] bridgestone turanza EL42s on your 07 base: you did much better than I did though: I had such problems with those OEMs at anything over 50mph with vibrations, shimmering, and pulling in the wheel that before I had 1k miles on them I had an adjustment through bridgestone and had the top of the line turanza serenity's put on the car: before I did this I had the tires balanced and a front-end alignment by Acura twice but it did nothing to solve the problems

was told by Acura that hopefully bridgestone would replace them because with all the problems I had they definitely would not wear properly and all that shimmering/vibration in the wheel/pedals and the wobbling/pulling to one side are all signs of out-of-balanced tires

I was completely sold with the Bridgestone Serenity's the first 8k miles I had on them: as soon as I put them on their was a worlds difference; the vibrations/shimmering in the wheel/pedals/seats all went away at high rate of speed, they were a hell of a lot quieter and the ride quality was improved; now I have about 12k miles on them, have had them balanced at every rotation, properly inflated at all times, but have begun to notice the same problems with these tires that I had with the OEM EL42s: even after having them balanced and another front end-alignment done they are now causing some vibrations/shimmering in the wheel/pedals and I'm starting to feel that wobbling ride/pulling to one side when I drive at high rates of speed above 50mph

was told by the tire store I have the rotations/balancing/alignments done that all four serenity's are beginning to show signs of wearing unevenly across the tires despite having them balanced and rotated and inflated properly: I am lucky if I get 25k miles out of them before I'll have to replace them at cost to myself and probably would be even luckier if I get to 20k miles on them before replacement

while I have enjoyed the quieter/smoother ride the serenity's have provided compared to the OEM EL42s, I am very dissatisfied that after only 8k miles they are wearing unevenly and let me tell you how happy I am that I paid only 100 bucks to have all four of these tires replaced and put them on the car: these tires without an adjustment are almost $245 a tire to have put on the TL; I would be freakin livid had I paid full priced for these serenity's, almost 1200 bucks to have all four tires mounted and balanced, and be dealing with these problems; I would have expected more considering the rave reviews that the serenity's have on tirerack.com but I guess these tires are just not a good match for the TL as they are on other vehicles, especially since they are a really expensive tire to get

so despite trying to avoid the same situation you ran into with the OEM EL42s, I will be in the same predicament as you with my serenity's at about 20-25k miles

I do believe the OEM EL42s are one of the worst tires I have ever had on any car over the years and I've read many many reviews on tirerack.com of how poor these tires are and how they wearout pretty quickly or wear unevenly: the michelin pilots you get as OEM on the TLs with technology package, while far from a great tire themselves, are superior compared to the OEM EL42s in regards to people being happier with them and they seem to last longer than the EL42s

I don't know what I am going to do when I replace the serenity's when they come time but I am definitely not putting another Bridgestone tire on the TL, I don't think Bridgestone and TL should be in the same sentence: I'll most likely try Kumho, Michelin, or Yokohama as replacement tires when the time come

Sorry you weren't able to get longer at of your tires then you did: Best of luck on picking new tires for your TL!!!
  • Hi everyone,

What is the ideal tire pressure for the tires? My TL's tire pressure sensor is so sensitive and it seems like the tire pressure fluctuates so much, depending on how cold it is outside, etc. Right now, the tires are reading at 34 with the exception of the back left tire at 30. They sometimes get up to 37 if it's warm outside.

I'm confused...any input is appreciated.

Thank you!
    well Acura recommends, and it says this on a label on the inside well of the driver front door when you open it, that the fronts should have 33 psi and the should have 32 psi; I keep all my cars slightly above recommended so I've been keeping the fronts at 34 psi and the rears at 33 psi

anything more then this and the ride really begins to get choppy, at least too choppy for my taste!

actually, you didn't mention what TL you have, I have a 08 base TL with 17inch wheels; not sure what the 4th generation TL tire pressures are supposed to be and if you have a type-s the pressure is different then what I quoted
  • mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    tire pressure is supposed to change based on temperature so the changes you are seeing are normal. Fill the tire while it is cold (not right after driving) to the numbers on the car placard.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    I also put on Michelin Pilot Exalto on my 04 TL in April, 2008 and am very satisfied. These tires were top rated in a Consumer Reports issue.
  • I think Bridgestone all season tires suck on any car. The only good tire Bridgestone makes are the Blizzak Winter Tires. That's it.
    I had Bridgestones all seasons on 2 of my vehicles and they were very slippery on the road for both vehicles.
    I think Michelins are also slick on wet roads and are overrated.
    The only all season tire I have had good luck with are Toyos & Yokahamas.
    agreed, I've never had any good luck with Bridgestone tires on a sedan before, but I have had good luck with them on the SUVs I have

In regards to traction and handling I too have found Yokies to be very good in those regards!
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    I never buy tires without checking out the consumer survey at http://tirerack.com.
    Hi all, in a few thousand miles I am going to have to replace my Bridgestone Serenity Tires due to uneven treadwear; I am looking to replace them with a tire that has excellent ride quality and lowest noise levels because that is the most important qualities in a tire to me

I've heard that the Michelin Exalto, Michelin Pilot A/S Plus, and Pirelli PZero Nero All Seasons are the best in ride quality and noise level but before I get any tires I wanted to hear from others what they think are best for giving the best ride quality and lowest noise level? I've also read good things thus far on tirerack.com for the continental extremeprocontact DWS's

Look forward to your opinions and suggestions!!!!
  • gitnbygitnby Posts: 10
    Bought a TL Tech that comes with Michelin HXMX4's.

Took the car through a pretty extensive test drive before buying, and the tires seemed quiet and offered a nice ride? BTW, that is more important to us than performance-type handling. Don't like to feel bumps, as I have some back problems.

After reading other posts, it seems like there are some issues with this tire?

If I was convinced that there is a better tire for my preferences, I would buy them right away and sell the OEM's.

Wet/snow traction is not a big deal as I have another vehicle that will handle that, but we want a safe tire that will get us through the stuff if needed.

With smooth ride and quiteness in mind, what is the best you all have tried?

Thanks!
  • Check on the label inside your driver's side door frame. My 2005 TL says the ideal tire pressure is 32 psi. I too have the same issue with varying psi (we live in Minnesota...was 25 below last night; though the car is parked inside). The other day I adjusted the pressure in all of them to 32 psi (cold). The next day I took it in for an oil change and the guy said they were all reading between 40 and 42! He said the pressure can usually vary by 7-9 psi. I told him to leave the tires alone, assuming they'd settle back down to 32-ish again.
  • I've had some tire issues w/the TL, but I've never questioned their "safety" aspects. If you tested the car thoroughly in advance, and you're happy w/the tires today, I would not take the (likely) $500 to $1,000 hit by buying a new set of tires. You aren't going to get much for your used tires. Just keep riding on the OEM tires until (if?) they give you some sort of issue that would prompt you to dispose of the tire.

On the other hand, if you have money to burn - thank you in advance for helping us out of this recession! ;)
  • mikey38mikey38 Posts: 141
    The tire pressure should and will rise as the tire warms up...Charles Law
    We are happy with out new TL, with one exception. Rough Ride?

Have the 17" Michelin HXMX4's, which may be part of the problem?

Or, maybe the fact that it has not been much over 20 degrees since we picked the car up? Tires and shocks seem to ride rougher on our other car in this weather, too!

Or, maybe because we traded in an Avalon with a softer suspension, and just need to get used to the firmer ride?

I'm hoping that warmer weather and the "breaking in" of the suspension will help?

Any comments?

Thanks!
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Posts: 3,062
    Most Toyotas, Lexi are soft riders. How much of a test drive did you do on TL demo before you bought one?
    Just make sure your tire pressure is at the recommended levels; it has been my experience with Acura and other stealerships that they tend to over inflate tires when they go to sell the car or you bring the car in for any kind of service; I've told them not to inflate the tires and leave them alone and they still can't listen; I've had the car inflated (cold) to 38 and 40psi when I've gotten it back

the recommended cold tire pressure is 33 psi so that could be why the car is riding rough; though the really cold weather we have been having doesn't help anything either

just a thought! hope things smooth out for your soon!!
    Went for about a half hour test ride over city streets and highway.

Seemed pretty smooth?

It was about 20-25 degrees warmer and there were 3 people in the car.
    The extra weight might have made it 'sit down' a little better on shocks?

Recommended tire pressure on door says 32 PSI all around, and that's what we have it at.