Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Durango Overheating Problems

Comments

• plettplett Posts: 3
    Hello,

I had the same problem. I got a replacement auxiliary water pump from dodgeparts.com. I think that it is made by bosch. The pump can suddenly stop causing lots of antifreeze to flow out of the over flow. You then look for leaks and find nothing. Costs about $125 and is a 15 minute fix.

I still have to go to counter measures and go full heat in stop and go traffic but the sudden overheating has stopped.
    I bought an 02 Durango with 95k miles and have 127K miles and still standing.

I have only used synthetic oil and changed every 3k

Replaced auxilliary water pump after sudden loss of antifreeze. Replaced antifreeze twice. Works great in Winter. Temp gauge will creep up on hot days at slow speeds. I use an auxilary electric fan and turn heater on. I call the procedure counter measures. AC works best on high way and I have been adding Freon more often then I should. Ultra Violet check showed no leaks in o rings. I am worried that When hot weather comes in May, overheating could rear its ugly head. I am considering selling the vehicle, changing the water pump and temp gauge, replacing with a larger radiator, and trying to flush out the grit mentioned by another poster.

I did not quite understand how the timing chain cover fits into the equation.

I have a 2002 4.7 SLT with tow package
    My Money is on replacing the Auxilliary Water Pump on the left back side of the truck facing the vehicle. 15 minute repair. If it comes on at high speeds when it should be off, it cause fluid to back out through the overflow. All you notice is low fluid without any clue as to wher it went. 15 minute repair. Easy to do yourself. Part online is from bosch and is about $125
  • crysdcrysd Posts: 1
    ">My 2000 Dodge Durango 4.7L V8 has been overheating. I replaced the thermostat when I was still living in Vegas, but am in Sacramento now, and seem to have a small leak. I've been adding coolant and/or water (alternating) once a week or so lately (only had to twice in the summer, so the leak seems to have increased). It's hard to tell where it's coming from from under the vehicle, but it seems to very possibly be coming from what I was told is the heater core, yet the pics of the part looks quite different in shape. Mine looks like a vertically long a slim radiator with an arched shaped tube coming off the top. It seems to have a small leak at the base of the tube if you look close from the top, when looking under the hood. I have a friend coming over to help me try to figure out what the problem could be today. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :sick:
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    I'm a little confused, you can't see the heater core under the hood, only the two pipes that come through the firewall and the hoses connect to. The heater hoses run right along the left (drivers side) cam cover from two metal pipes under the intake plenum back to the pipes coming off the core. If the core leaks it usually manifests itself by a sweet coolant smell coming from the heater of defrost vents, a small dripping under the right side front near the back of the engine bay (plenum drain) and a haze that may form on the windshield when the defroster is on. In extreme cases the carpet could be wet up under the dash below the heat/AC plenum.
    I've changed the core myself on the same SUV. It's a big job that you need the right skills to do. The dash needs to be removed or pulled way back out of the way and the A/C will need to be discharged and recharged for two.
    If needed you can bypass the core by removing the hoses from the metal pipes under the intake plenum and connecting a hose between them.
  • Did you find out what that part was? ( the slim small looking radiator )
  • I have the 04 Durango 4.7l and faced the same issue, I replaced the auxillary (electric) pump once ($150) and the engine quit over heating for about a month until pump gave out again. I have since by-passed the pump and I no longer have heating or cooling issues! I'm sure the pump serves a purposse but I remember my father buying a new k car back in 80 and he needed to place a plastic jug over alternator cap because it sat in a perfect location where heat from the engine and the cold air caused moisture to under the cap. Not all designs are good!
  • jjahshopjjahshop Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2003 DODGE DURANGO WITH A 4.7 LITER ENGINE, I HAVE BEEN HAVING OVER HEATING ISSUES WITH IT, I HAVE CHANGED THE WATER PUMP, FLUSHED THE RADIATOR, CHANGED THE THERMOSTAT. CHECKED THE CLUTCH ON THE FAN AND MADE SURE THE ELECTRIC FANS COME ON AND STILL CANT DRIVE 2 MILES WITH OUT THE HEAT GAUGE PEGGING.

MY QUESTION IS I KNOW I HAVE A REVERSE FLOW STYLE WATER PUMP BUT WHEN IT'S RUNNING HOW FAST SHOULD THE WATER FLOW BE WHILE LOOKING AT IT THROUGH THE TOP RADIATOR HOSE. BECAUSE THE FLOW I SEE IS HARDLY ANY AT ALL. DO THEY MAKE A HIGH VOLUME WATER PUMP THE KIND WITH METAL FINS IN STEAD OF THE PLASTIC CIRCLE DESIGN. ANY IDEAS ?
  • gopher0849gopher0849 Posts: 9
    I would check different part of the radiator to make sure there are I spots that migh be cool while others are hot. The flow you see might not be good because the thermasat is closed. Other then that if you have no leaks and the rad seems fine no clogs in it could be a head gasket. See if you have white smoke from the exhaust or take the cap of the rad while it is running at normal or even higher then norm temp back up and have some one pop the throttle once. If she blows like old faithful it's almost a sure sign of a head leak. Let me know how you make out. :shades:
  • crystel1crystel1 Posts: 1
    i am not A MECHANIC BUT RIGHT AT THIS VERY MIN I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH MY 2003 DODGE DURANGO.I CHANGE JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING U HAD SAID .BUT U MAY WANNA CHECK UR FREEZE PLUGS I BROUGHT IT TO THE DODGE PLACE AND ALL THEY DID WAS LOOK UNDER THE CAR AND THEY WERE ABLE TO TELL OR SOME CARS MAY NEED TO BE JACKED UP .NOW FREEZE PLUGS IS REALLY CHEAP.MIGHT BE UNDER 2 DOLLARS.HOPE THIS HELPS
  • wsnorton74wsnorton74 Posts: 2
    O4 durango still overheating, I have replaced waterpump, thermostat, fanclutch, radiator,and radiator cap, drive belt, and flush out system. still overheating. No water in oil and no white smoke or water out tail pipe. With cap off I do get a little blow pressure out of radiator. Any sugestions?
  • Replace auxiliary water pump & hoses. I have replaced both water pumps, thermostat, radiator, hoses, clutch fan, basically anything that has to do with cooling. My 04 finally stopped o/h. Also, make sure the coolant is the original dodge coolant. Good luck!
  • wsnorton74wsnorton74 Posts: 2
    Auxilary waterpump was leaking, took small pipe and joined two hoses together to bypass, so water will flow. Do you think that may be the problem because the water isn't circulating into the other heater core in back?
  • Hello, I am having some issues with my 2000 Durango 4.7l. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will apologize now for anymisreads or spelling mistakes, I am posting this via my cell phone. Also, I wish tp thank you in advance!

Heres the deal: I bought the truck about 5 months ago. The vehicle currently has 216xxx KM and is for the most part in good condition.

In short:
    Truck is severely overheating, losing a lot of coolant with NO external leak (even under pressure), cylinder 8 is still misfiring (despite changed plugs), there is a coolant smell coming from the vents inside cabin but no wondow fogging or wet floors. Coolant seems clean of oil and oil looks free of coolant. I cant tell what color the exhaust is or if I smell coolant... I smell exhaust.

Long version:
    When I bought the truck there was a smell comong from the vents but didnt know what it was until recently when I was told it was coolant/antifreeze. The windows dont fog up nor is there moisture on the passenger side floor. About a month ago, my gauge light came on telling me to check my gauges, when I did I saw that the truck had been overheating and was almost in the red. I pulled over as quickly as possible and let it cool for over an hour. Upon inspection, I found my coolant holding tank was full but my rad was empty. I filled her up and went on my way (drove from BC to Seattle ~270km) the truck was fine but I noticed that the rad was missing a bit of coolant again, so I toped ot up amd continued to keep an eye on it daily. For the first 3 Weeks_ish I was adding less than a cup of water but adding water daily and the check engine light came on (code p0308- cylinder 8 miscire), so I took it to the shop. There are no external leaks, even when put under pressure. The mechanic said to keep an eye out amd keep track of how much I was adding.
    About 2 Weeks ago it overheated again and again almost to the red. I pulled over and filled the rad again. Over the last two Weeks I had been adding a lot more coolant to the rad. The truck also began running rough. I brought it back to the shop (4 daus ago) where I had the spark plug for cylinder 8 replaced, the rad placed under pressure again and the code reset. Again there were no external leaks. Next day the check engine light was on again and reading the same code, cylinder 8 misfire.
    2 days ago I left for Seattle again, despite the truck now running rougher than before with idle around 550 (lower than the smooth 700 it usually idled at). Before I left home Iade sure all fluids were toped up and went on my way. It wasnt long before I began to overheat again. I pulled over waited added a lot of coolant and went on my way. About an hour to 1 1/2 hrs later I start to overheat again, I pull over and add the remaining coolant (at this point I had added a gallon of coolant since the morning when I toped up fluids). What I added wasnt enoigh and I ended up having to add another half gallon of coolant. Where is it going?

Any ideas?
  • Hello, I am having some issues with my 2000 Durango 4.7l. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will apologize now for any misreads or spelling mistakes, I am posting this via my cell phone. Also, I wish tp thank you in advance!

Heres the deal: I bought the truck about 5 months ago. The vehicle currently has 216xxx KM and is for the most part in good condition.

In short:
    Truck is severely overheating, losing a lot of coolant with NO external leak (even under pressure), cylinder 8 is still misfiring (despite changed plugs), there is a coolant smell coming from the vents inside cabin but no window fogging or wet floors. Coolant seems clean of oil and oil looks free of coolant. I cant tell what color the exhaust is or if I smell coolant... I smell exhaust.

Long version:
    When I bought the truck there was a smell coming from the vents but didnt know what it was until recently when I was told it was coolant/antifreeze. The windows dont fog up nor is there moisture on the passenger side floor. About a month ago, my gauge light came on telling me to check my gauges, when I did I saw that the truck had been overheating and was almost in the red. I pulled over as quickly as possible and let it cool for over an hour. Upon inspection, I found my coolant holding tank was full but my rad was empty. I filled her up and went on my way (drove from BC to Seattle ~270km) the truck was fine but I noticed that the rad was missing a bit of coolant again, so I toped ot up amd continued to keep an eye on it daily. For the first 3 Weeks_ish I was adding less than a cup of water but adding water daily and the check engine light came on (code p0308- cylinder 8 miscire), so I took it to the shop. There are no external leaks, even when put under pressure. The mechanic said to keep an eye out amd keep track of how much I was adding.
    About 2 Weeks ago it overheated again and again almost to the red. I pulled over and filled the rad again. Over the last two Weeks I had been adding a lot more coolant to the rad. The truck also began running rough. I brought it back to the shop (4 daus ago) where I had the spark plug for cylinder 8 replaced, the rad placed under pressure again and the code reset. Again there were no external leaks. Next day the check engine light was on again and reading the same code, cylinder 8 misfire.
    2 days ago I left for Seattle again, despite the truck now running rougher than before with idle around 550 (lower than the smooth 700 it usually idled at). Before I left home Iade sure all fluids were toped up and went on my way. It wasnt long before I began to overheat again. I pulled over waited added a lot of coolant and went on my way. About an hour to 1 1/2 hrs later I start to overheat again, I pull over and add the remaining coolant (at this point I had added a gallon of coolant since the morning when I toped up fluids). What I added wasnt enoigh and I ended up having to add another half gallon of coolant. Where is it going?

Any ideas?
  • Late as this is I am finding out that the timing cover sort of, falls apart with time. These particles then get lodged in smaller coolant passages and clog it. Aside from Dodge making this nightmare design, they take no responsibility for all the engines it seems to have killed.
  • kommiikommii Posts: 1
    Hey guys, i am sure that everyone has checked this on their vehicles but just in case.
    try checking your tension pulley
  • I replaced the radiator with new one a new thermostat and its still over heating. The water pump is fine fan kicks on runs good . Just can't figure out why still over heating. If driving down hywy it stays cool about halfway hot, but if slow down it will start to over heat or drive in town over heats.
  • sdoutsdout Posts: 23
    I had a very similar problem with my Durango, recently. It is very likely that the electric fan is defective or intermittent unless you are losing coolant and/or oil without leaking, then you may want to have your coolant tested for emissions. If it contains emission you may have an internal crack in your block or a damaged head gasket. I've never heard of this test before, but I wish I had because this can save a lot of time and money for someone trying to fix a difficult cooling system problem. I had similar symptoms and had both problems. The theory is that the fan stopped working, the engine got hot and damaged the head gasket.
  • kscmackscmac Posts: 1
    I put in a 180 degree thermostat and a flex fan, no over heating problems! Remember the 4.7 engine is a reverse flow on the water and fan spin! The radiator cap sits on a plastic t-pipe that needs replaced as it gets soft and will goto pieces!