Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Le Sabre: Electronic/Battery Issues

2»

Comments

• I have a 2001 Lesabre and it will cut off while I am driving. This may happen 2 or 3 times a week not everyday.
    The volt light will come on and I have to pull to the side and the car will cut complete off sometimes it will start right back up other times I have to wait maybe 30 minutes before it starts.
    Do anybody have an idea to what maybe causing this problem.
    When I take it to the dealer it will not do it and they did to duplicate the problem in order to find out what codes may show up.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,079
    Start with the battery cables complete checks for deteriorated cable inside the plastic at the ends.

Check the battery for a broken post inside the battery that makes contact and then doesn't make contact.
  • I check the battery cables and everything is fine.
    So any more suggestions.
    Put a post in Ask a Technical Question. Alcan may know something to check or someone else there may know what's likely problem.

highroller, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #2854, 13 Sep 2006 12:34 pm
    Does the tachometer go to zero the instant it cuts out?
    If the tach hits zero as soon as the problem starts even before the final stall you might have a crankshaft position sensor problem.

Or check the fuse #19 in the underhood fuse panel--it has the black cover that snaps over it on the passengerside of the underhood--with the large red battery cables going into it on one end.

I picked these up from another discussion where someone had similar problems. One person said they cleaner the crankshaft position sensor with WD40 spray through the access hole without replacing it.

You may email the address in my profile if you need more info to check for yourself. You may be able to email from the MySpace here on Edmunds to my name in MySpace??? I haven't figured out most of that stuff.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    That would be yourscreenname@carspace.com. :)

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Try to e-mail you from my space but the message came back.
    My question is do you know where the crankshaft position sensor is locate on at 2001 Lesabre Buick?
    Thank you for your help
  • Hello my dad has a 89 lesabre and it has no spark. We have replaced the coil pack, computer, plugs and the crackshaft sensor is only about a year old. Im in the process of finding the relay and testing the power. Would the camshaft sensor or any sensor cause no spark? Any help would be useful. Thanks
  • bobbyg3bobbyg3 Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Lesabre that is hard starting when the engine is good and hot and has been sitting for awhile hot. It will also stall when driving down the road under 40 miles per hour, but has never stalled driving on the interstate at higher speeds. A mechanic could not detect any codes, changed plugs & wires, but still have problem. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • I have a 1998 Buick Le Sabre. I cant find the reservoir to put the power steering fluid in. I have had 5 people look at it and cant find it either. Can someone please tell me where to put the power steering fluid?
    See if this helps. Lean over the side of the car right next to the strut tower on the right side. Look straight down. This picture will show you the landmarks. Directly below the alternator is a cap with orange lettering... It seldom needs checking, so it's not too bad that it's hard to reach.

• daimondaimon Posts: 4
    Hi to All...new to forum. I purchased a Battery Saver Plus for my 1989 Buick Le Sabre, but unfortunately the plug wouldn't fit into the lighter socket and I had to recharge it at my local gas station. Thus my alternative, according to www.4lots.com, is to "...attach the [solar] panel directly to the battery. This may be done by: A) Cutting off the cigarette lighter attachment and attaching the stripped wires directly to the battery, Negative to Negative (Black to Black) and Positive to Positive."

First question: is this risky? And if not, do I simply loop each wire around the terminal, starting with the negative one? Thanks in advance.

Kevin
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,564
    No great risk but I'm not fond of having any loose wire that can create a spark near a battery. I'd much rather see you put alligator clips or large spring clamps on each wire, then tape the clips with electrical tape so that they are somewhat insulated. This way, you can just clamp the solar charger on there safely.

Of course, a solar panel is to maintain the charge on a charged battery, not to charge up a dead one. Seems like you know that already.

• daimondaimon Posts: 4
    Thanks Mr. Shiftright. Excellent advice. I received similar advice on another forum.

Kevin
  • i'm having a weird problem... My car is a 1987 buick lesaber 2 door with a 3.8 My car ran perfect.past tence that is... i got home ,shut it off and in the morning it would not start. it spins fast and everything,its getting fuel. after trying for half an hour i was cranking it over and "boom" it fired enough to blow my muffler to shreads and thats it,it will not fire..any suggestions?
  • jlazzarojlazzaro Posts: 1
    I HAVE WENT THROUGH 3 BATTERIES IN THE LAST 4 MONTHS. I TOOK THEM BACK TO WALMART AND THEY EXCHANGED IT ALL THREE TIMES.

I'M WONDERING IF THE CAR IS KILLING THE BATTERIES AND IF SO WHAT COULD BE CAUSING IT.
  • i back out of the drive way and started driving it it then died.i tryed to start it again but nothing happened it wont even turn over. i tryed a jumper cables and a different battery. it has a new starter and the battery was a new one. when i turn the key the lights turn on on the dash but thats it nothing else happens it dosent even crank. is this a security system problem with the key or is there a fuse problem. but what would cause it to die when driving and then not being able to start again
  • My aunt's 2000 LeSabre has the exact same problem except very infrequent. No codes, only at low speeds, and two mechanics have been unable to replicate the problem over three weeks of trying.

Did you ever get an answer? Thanks for any help you can give.
  • orangeuporangeup Posts: 23
    After I replaced the transmission the battery drain went away. Had an error code about a solenoid on the transmission prior to that. I have a 97 Buick with 220,000 miles that hums right along.
  • orangeuporangeup Posts: 23
    I had something similar happen. No fuel pressure. Had to replace the pump in the tank. Not Cheap, not something for the home mechanic. I shouldn't have it let run out of fuel. I'm glad my 300 lb neighbor lady was around to push it back in the driveway. Holy cow was she strong!!! Anyway, I'd start and replace the fuel filter first. You can buy a fuel pressure tester and know for sure.
    Some of the auto box stores (Autozone, Oreilly) will loan a fuel pressure tester.
  • pwittypwitty Posts: 4
    I didn't see this issue posted. My 4wd must stay in Auto 4WD. If I put it in 2H it goes thru the gears and when it hits 4th gear it drops to neutral. I am unable to drive in anything other than Auto 4WD. The last time I used the 4WD function was approximately 5 months ago and I don't recall putting it in Auto 4WD. I have very little call for the 4WD but I like knowing I have it. I recently went from NM to KS without realizing it was in auto 4WD. That was when I found that
    the 2H wasn't working. Any ideas? I am unable to locate the ATC fuse that one message discussed.
    You have this post in a leSabre discussion. So I think you should post in

Silverado Electrical questions
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0ab322/0

Silverado 4x4
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0b41c8/0

Silverado transmission questions
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0ab322/0

You should find someone there to help find the fuse you want to check and to find more about the transmission's behavior.

Good luck.
  • pwittypwitty Posts: 4
    Thank you. Will repost in Silverado section
  • check the fuel pressure regulator. if the vacuum hose attached to it has gas in it when you remove the rubber elbow it is bad and needs replacing. they go for 50.00 bucks or so.you'll need special snap ring pliers and some petroleum jelly for the new o rings. a five minute job. good luck
2»