Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Le Sabre: Electronic/Battery Issues

Comments

• hagrawalhagrawal Posts: 20
    We have a 2003 LeSabre Limited which has 47,000 miles. Yesterday, the GM battery failed and had to be replaced because it will not hold charge. I repaced the GM ACDelco with Interstate.

It seems to me the battery should have lasted at least 4 or 5 years and is another indication of poor quality of GM parts. Has anyone had similar experience?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    Battery life is not forever. It depends on the car and how the car is used as well as temperatures and so on. When a battery hits 3 years I consider it toast. Any more is borrowed time.

Did you check the battery hydrometer indicator every few months to see if it was showing green? That usually will give an early warning of some failures. Otherwise the battery can just simply have a cell short out as a conductive path between anode and cathode is built when the battery is recharging and then you've lost a cell.

I would have replaced with a Walmart Maxx battery with 960 cranking amps and long total replacement free guarantee and a 7 year or 8 year prorated replacement. Interstate seems to have an aura about it from advertising that didn't mean quality in the battery based on some coworkers who bought them in the past.

This message has been approved.

• The battery light comes on and motor runs on battery. Changed Alt twice and it has plently of charge. Checked all battery connections. Battery not getting charge.
  • sounds to me that the battery is bad. Have you had the battery checked?
  • Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough. I thought a car could run off the alternator. When the battery dies the car dies.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Posts: 122
    This may have been discussed before, so forgive me, but has anyone put a replacement battery in their 2000+ car? If so, what kind? I will probably keep the car one to two more years and since mom drives it, I don't want to take a chance on the battery going bad. It has a vent system attached to it. Should I get an optima, OEM, or just go to Wal Mart and get one of their best batteries?
    I think the location under the back seat is great, but I don't want to put the wrong type of battery in it. I was thinking about putting in an Optima battery, storing the one in it now, and switching them at trade in time and using the Optima in another vehicle.
    I had looked at Wallymart and they didn't have one for the number listed in their lookup book.

If you come up with a good replacement let me know. I've seen people on other groups mention making the vent tubes fit the vents on batteries so they'd vent the hydrogen under the car.

Since it's on its sixth year, you're wise to start looking. If you don't get any symptoms of weak battery you're probably sitting with some time. Usually batteries fail in the heat and in the cold of winter. We've already had the heat here. The original Delco batteries on GMs are good batteries in my experience. They last long times.

• kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Posts: 122
    Thanks for the Walmart tip. I will check around and post my findings. Mom replaced the original in 2001 or 2002 at the dealer when I was out of town. She had a bad habit of turning the car off and leaving the key in the accessory position. It would drain the battery and we would not know why. This happened several times. The car would be towed to the dealer and they would find nothing wrong. How I figured it out was when I noticed the radio was on when I was outside of the car and she had driven it last. Until we discovered it was her and not the battery, she felt better having a new one installed by the dealer. End of problem. To this day, she will not admit what they charged her for the battery. I do like the idea of the battery under the seat. I think it is better for a crash when you need onstar activation. Also a much less hostile environment than under the hood. Maybe even slightly better weight distribution. I like to keep less than 4 year old batteries in her car just for peace of mind, even if she does drive it one more year until she gets a Lucerne.
    Looks like the host was kind enough to make a separate Lesabre electrical issues topic for us.
  • Found one at O'Reilly's, a chain store throughout most of the midwest based here in Springfield, MO. $69 for 880CCA, 72 month warranty, 2 year free replacement. I'm happy.
  • i have a 1992 lasabre and smoke started coming out of the steering colum. removed the steering wheel and found the wire that seems to be causing the problem however i cant seem to find a wiring diagram online for the steering colum for under $19.95. is there a web site where i can download a wiring diagram of the steering colum?
  • I have a 2001 Lesabre and it will cut off while I am driving. This may happen 2 or 3 times a week not everyday.
    The volt light will come on and I have to pull to the side and the car will cut complete off sometimes it will start right back up other times I have to wait maybe 30 minutes before it starts.
    Do anybody have an idea to what maybe causing this problem.
    When I take it to the dealer it will not do it and they did to duplicate the problem in order to find out what codes may show up.
    Start with the battery cables complete checks for deteriorated cable inside the plastic at the ends.

Check the battery for a broken post inside the battery that makes contact and then doesn't make contact.

• I check the battery cables and everything is fine.
    So any more suggestions.
    Put a post in Ask a Technical Question. Alcan may know something to check or someone else there may know what's likely problem.

highroller, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #2854, 13 Sep 2006 12:34 pm

Does the tachometer go to zero the instant it cuts out?

If the tach hits zero as soon as the problem starts even before the final stall you might have a crankshaft position sensor problem.

Or check the fuse #19 in the underhood fuse panel--it has the black cover that snaps over it on the passengerside of the underhood--with the large red battery cables going into it on one end.

I picked these up from another discussion where someone had similar problems. One person said they cleaner the crankshaft position sensor with WD40 spray through the access hole without replacing it.

You may email the address in my profile if you need more info to check for yourself. You may be able to email from the MySpace here on Edmunds to my name in MySpace??? I haven't figured out most of that stuff.

• That would be yourscreenname@carspace.com. :)

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Try to e-mail you from my space but the message came back.
    My question is do you know where the crankshaft position sensor is locate on at 2001 Lesabre Buick?
    Thank you for your help
  • Hello my dad has a 89 lesabre and it has no spark. We have replaced the coil pack, computer, plugs and the crackshaft sensor is only about a year old. Im in the process of finding the relay and testing the power. Would the camshaft sensor or any sensor cause no spark? Any help would be useful. Thanks